• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max PC performance thread

Knch

Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz
8GB Ram
AMD 260X 2GB

Defaulted to high @ 720p

Upped the resolution to 1080p, maxed anisotropic filtering and dropped the shadow resolution to normal. 90 minutes in and it's very smooth.

Only noticeable drop in frame rate was in the intro during the close-up of the big guy that jumps down and occasionally a little bit of tearing. (But that was before dropping the shadow resolution.)

Just got it for £12.99 from CDkeys, downloading now, will see how my i5 2500k and MSI GTX 760 handles the game. hopefully I won't have to turn down too much to get a decent framerate.

JRW

Just got it for £12.99 from CDkeys, downloading now, will see how my i5 2500k and MSI GTX 760 handles the game. hopefully I won't have to turn down too much to get a decent framerate.

You should be fine on the High preset, possibly Very High (assuming 60fps target @ 1080p).

m6Qu4CZ.jpg

I have an i7 4970 OC'ed to 4.8ghz and a GTX 970 and I'm able to get everything full at 1080p with 60fps no problem.

I also played it at 4k on my TV and it hoovers from 40-45fps but looks gorgeous. Having a hard time deciding which way to play it!

game looks very outdated so its good that it apparently runs well. hopefully we get some benchmarks soon.

This is one of the best looking games available on any platform you play it on. All things considered, including the fact that Mad Max is open world, I just can't agree with that opinion in the least.

This is one of the best looking games available on any platform you play it on. All things considered, including the fact that Mad Max is open world, I just can't agree with that opinion in the least.

its one of, if not the worst looking aaa next gen games. mgs looks better and its a cross gen port and it runs at twice the framerate on consoles. this looks like a lunch title port of a gen 7 game imo.

It's not really surprising it runs well. It's a pretty barren place with not much architecture. I wouldn't necessary praise Avalanche for being shit-hot programmers (I am sure they are good) when there isn't a lot of geometry going on.

its one of, if not the worst looking aaa next gen games. mgs looks better and its a cross gen port and it runs at twice the framerate on consoles.

That's definitely up for debate. If you think the game looks so poor for a AAA next game, I'm trying to figure why you're even here in this thread. Game looks amazing for a next game or otherwise. I can't think of anything else that looks better(maybe GTA V is more impressive with everything happening in that world)with all things considered. *shrugs*

Rolfgang

Anybody else with an Acer XB270HU that can only run it at 1440p and 83hz? I want to up it to 144hz (and I've seen people do that), but it won't let me... V-sync is off.

That's definitely up for debate. If you think the game looks so poor for a AAA next game, I'm trying to figure why you're even here in this thread. Game looks amazing for a next game or otherwise. I can't think of anything else that looks better(maybe GTA V is more impressive with everything happening in that world)with all things considered. *shrugs*

so im not allowed to post in or read a thread if i dont think its a good looking game?

Branson

so im not allowed to post in or read a thread if i dont think its a good looking game?
Most people think it looks pretty damn good. Myself included. It works it's style very well. Plus it looks good at 60fps on PC. Metal Gear also looks great but they are two different games. You're against the grain.

mm04

i5 4690k @ 4ghz, GTX 970 SLI, 16gb memory running max settings at 1440p averaging over 100fps most of the time. But it's only the first 15 minutes or so. I expect the average will drop but not substantially.

Anybody else with an Acer XB270HU that can only run it at 1440p and 83hz? I want to up it to 144hz (and I've seen people do that), but it won't let me... V-sync is off.

That is bizarre. Mine is running at 144hz. Have you checked your NVIDIA control panel to make sure you're actually set to 144hz globally?

So played for an hour just to test it out, game looks and runs great, it seems to be well optimized for the most part.

i5 2500k, 8GB RAM and MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr runs it @ 1080p/60fps with just about everything maxed out. I turned a couple of things down by 1 notch to stop the mild dips but overall performance is great and I've not played with my card overclocked yet. :)

Backlogger

I have limited room on my SSD so I don't usually put games on my SSD by default but in this case it made a pretty big difference. I was able to put everything to very high and I seem to be doing just fine at 1440p/60 FPS except when an autosave kicks in I drop to around 40 which causes a pretty noticeable stutter.

Anyone else having this issue and figure out a way around it?

1440p
R9 290
i5 3570k 4.1 OC
16 GB RAM
Windows 10

Anyone notice the refresh rate not sticking in the options? I change it to 120Hz and save but it always reverts back to 60. This is the only game I have doing this

its one of, if not the worst looking aaa next gen games. mgs looks better and its a cross gen port and it runs at twice the framerate on consoles. this looks like a lunch title port of a gen 7 game imo.

Disagree there, the reason MGS runs at 60 on even last gen consoles is because it's not really pushing any boundaries in graphics. It looks nice. No doubt. But not "hnnnnnnnnnng next gen" nice.

A bit like how Nintendo get most of their games to 60fps.

Disagree there, the reason MGS runs at 60 on even last gen consoles is because it's not really pushing any boundaries in graphics. It looks nice. No doubt. But not "hnnnnnnnnnng next gen" nice.

A bit like how Nintendo get most of their games to 60fps.

i agree, still looks better than mad max imo

chekhonte

What the heck is happening with arkham knight?

Is it going to ever come back to PC in an optimized form?

Sorry to highjack your thread. There's just been some references to batman since both of these game are published by WB.

PaulloDEC

Runs great on my machine (rock solid 60fps @ 1920 x 1200) with all settings at their highest.

i7 3820
GTX 970
16gb RAM

Haven't seen any juddering, stuttering or any other nasty presentation issues either, which is really nice. Some better AA options would be great, but FXAA gets the job done.

Maximo

What the heck is happening with arkham knight?

Is it going to ever come back to PC in an optimized form?

Sorry to highjack your thread. There's just been some references to batman since both of these game are published by WB.

Probs not fully fixed until late this year. No word from WB yet.

I have limited room on my SSD so I don't usually put games on my SSD by default but in this case it made a pretty big difference. I was able to put everything to very high and I seem to be doing just fine at 1440p/60 FPS except when an autosave kicks in I drop to around 40 which causes a pretty noticeable stutter.

Anyone else having this issue and figure out a way around it?

Yeah I get a drop to about 30fps for about 2 seconds sometimes when it autosaves, it's weird, not a deal breaker as the rest of the game is a solid 60fps but would be nice to see a patch to fix it.

Why do so many on Steam review a game with so little actual gametime logged? I understand that in the case of games that have been out for a while that they may played them elsewhere but this MAD MAX game is like 2 days old and already has over 1500 reviews and most of them only have about 1-5 hours of playtime. It's like writing a review for a movie after watching the the opening credits.

Rolfgang

Can anyone post impressions of a 980ti at 1440p. Game is still downloading at home unfortunately.

I'm running max settings (on a 980 Ti at 1440p) and hitting 85 FPS. That last bit is due to the settings, since I need to probably fix something (I have a 144hz monitor, but it will only let me do 84hz). It hasn't dropped below that tough, so I expect I can get higher FPS.

Marcelus

Backlogger

Yeah I get a drop to about 30fps forvabout 2 seconds sometimes when it autosaves, it's weird, not a deal breaker as the rest of the game is a solid 60fps but would be nice to see a patch to fix it.

I heard playing in borderless windowed mode fixes it but haven't had a chance to test that yet

Rolfgang

That is bizarre. Mine is running at 144hz. Have you checked your NVIDIA control panel to make sure you're actually set to 144hz globally?

Ah, I only noticed just now that my monitor is set on 85hz, but that's also the maximum, I can't select 144hz. I guess I need to get a higher quality DP-cable?

Momentary

Banned
Why do so many on Steam review a game with so little actual gametime logged? I understand that in the case of games that have been out for a while that they may played them elsewhere but this MAD MAX game is like 2 days old and already has over 1500 reviews and most of them only have about 1-5 hours of playtime. It's like writing a review for a movie after watching the the opening credits.

Because PC Gamers seem to rate a game on performance rather than it's actual context these days on STEAM since most ports are trash. They get excited when something as glorious as Mad Max comes along that runs as smooth as cocoa butter.

Anyone know if it's possible to change the FOV ? While it already looks great on PC, opening up the FOV a little, would really let the wasteland feel even more epic.

Top Bottom