• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You've crossed the border from lubricated to morose." It happens to the best of us, Joan.

Mad Men is really firing on all cylinders right now. Such a joy to watch every week.

Duderz said:
It's a parallel to the flashbacks we saw in this episode - Roger didn't like Don's ad ideas, yet he was persistent and got the job. Don didn't like the Dwarf's ideas, yet he got the job.

More like, the superior got drunk and mistakenly gave the job to the youth. :lol

Wads

Banned
Duderz said:
It's a parallel to the flashbacks we saw in this episode - Roger didn't like Don's ad ideas, yet he was persistent and got the job. Don didn't like the Dwarf's ideas, yet he got the job.

Not sure if I'd say Pete is "growing" here. He's still the little shit he always has been.

Agreed. I loved him putting Cosgrove in his place. Pete vs Ken isn't really back as Pete has already won. I was :lol pretty good when he leaned back in the chair and asked about the wedding plans.

squicken

I kind of took Don waking up and losing a day that he got was slipped a mickey by that girl who asked about him at the bar. Like a secret agent meant to find out his secrets. It was peculiar how he woke up to a waitress calling him Dick. Guess I misread it :lol

God I love Joan. The hand holding at the award ceremony was great. And yeah, Lane is definitely becoming a favorite, and Pete keeps climbing the charts as world's largest twat.

mightynine said:
I was on my way to not liking this episode, because the first part just didn't feel...right, almost like the characters weren't themselves.

But it all came together to be a solid, if not spectacular episode. Really liked how they handled Don's blackouts.

Felt the same. It was sort of off the whole episode, but plenty of good stuff. Almost kind of like a bunch of scenes instead of a cohesive show. Like a bunch of disjointed memories /armchair critic

movie_club

Vyer said:
How fitting was that ending. Don was even lying to get in the door at the agency! lol
I just assumed Roger said welcome aboard off camera...no?

when doris referred to "dicks" sister was she talking about the girl from SCDP that Don hit on in the bar and said to her "mom is looking for us" ?

Did anyone else kind of gasped when the waitress said "Dick" like I did?

I think that psychiatrist is going to bring up a sexual harassment case against SCDP by the end of the season, or take them to task on how they treat women. Granted, the first case didn't happen for another 10 years, but she seems to be someone that would have knowledge of proto sexual harassment studies. Maybe she is doing a secret study behind everyone's back? That would be awesome and a way to bring Allison back.

Are Don and Roger going to double team Joan? Or have a triangle? This has to happen.

Peggy calling that guy out on his nudist bullshit was fucking fantastic, especially her facial expressions as she was putting on her bra.

Of course, Pete was just being Pete, and it is awesome. Throwing his weight with Lane, then putting Ken in his place, and finally the fantastic "Lean back and suck it" pose he pulled when asking about Ken's wedding in a way that only an unbelievable smug asshole like Pete can say it. However, bringing Ken back is just going to make me weep that Kinsey isn't back, I love Kinsey :(

I loved the flashback scenes, especially Joan in that black dress, rawr.

I kind of hope they get Don on a road to recovery soon, because at a certain point, it stops being character development, and into that montage in "Walk Hard" where Dewey Cox screams out "THIS IS A REALLY DARK PERIOD!" while crying, doing coke, and having a woman on his lap.

Wads

Banned
movie_club said:
I just assumed Roger said welcome aboard off camera...no?

when doris referred to "dicks" sister was she talking about the girl from SCDP that Don hit on in the bar and said to her "mom is looking for us" ?

I'm pretty sure Roger wasn't going to hire him which makes him saying that he "found" Don kind of funny. When they are leaving, Don notices him stumble a bit. Roger says something about him needing a fur guy. I leaning towards Don lied to get in.

And the waitress, I sort of took it as the black hair ad lady he was with. They must have gotten food, and then somehow Don picked up the waitress when she left. I was thinking it was referring to Faye, but nobody else heard that line other than Faye and the guy she was talking to.

Duderz

Banned
Wads said:
And the waitress, I sort of took it as the black hair ad lady he was with. They must have gotten food, and then somehow Don picked up the waitress when she left. I was thinking it was referring to Faye, but nobody else heard that line other than Faye and the guy she was talking to.

I took it as Don was so drunk he saw a beautiful woman instead of the waitress he woke up next to. :lol

Of course, that didn't make sense since the black hair lady went and spoke with Roger and Joan.

Wads said:
I'm pretty sure Roger wasn't going to hire him which makes him saying that he "found" Don kind of funny. When they are leaving, Don notices him stumble a bit. Roger says something about him needing a fur guy. I leaning towards Don lied to get in.

Yeah, the smirk in the elevator at the end does it for me. And, of course, alcoholism - and the consequences of it - was very much front and center this episode.

Sumidor

That ending was awesome. Also when Don offers to buy Roger a drink, Roger responds by saying it's only 10, I couldn't tell if Roger was being sarcastic or not.

etiolate

Banned
This episode made me think more about Peggy's character. In the naked standoff, she wasn't just trying to show the guy was full of shit, but defending her sexual allure as well. He had been taking potshots at her attractiveness, so his boner ended up his downfall. Peggy knows she's not oogled, but she has nailed quite a few guys and goes out hunting when she wants to. They just had that girl talk in the dove commercial episode where Peggy's theory about a routine gets rejected. I get the feeling Peggy isn't one of those girls wanting to be the one that he looks at "like that". Not that she doesn't want desire, she just doesn't sit in the corner and waits for it.

And since Peggy has been seen as Don's protege, her character was in a way a reflection on him, not just in secretive matters, but as in a young, bright advertising mind that was recognized and picked out. Now we see that was not really the truth with Don. He liquored up Roger and got a drunken job offer out of it. So now, what does that leave Peggy as if even a protege of Don is a protege of a false history?

etiolate said:
And since Peggy has been seen as Don's protege, her character was in a way a reflection on him, not just in secretive matters, but as in a young, bright advertising mind that was recognized and picked out. Now we see that was not really the truth with Don. He liquored up Roger - recognizing that he was an alcoholic - and manipulated Roger into believing he had given him a job offer. So now, what does that leave Peggy as if even a protege of Don is a protege of a false history?

Fixed. But a good point nonetheless.

Amir0x

Banned
Duderz said:
I took it as Don was so drunk he saw a beautiful woman instead of the waitress he woke up next to. :lol

Of course, that didn't make sense since the black hair lady went and spoke with Roger and Joan.

Hm, but the waitress said 'your sister left', I assume the sister was the black hair chick.

He was just that drunk.

Yeah, Don definitely lied to Roger to get the job. It paralleled the themes of the show perfectly (and what he just had done to hire the other guy, having used his slogan when drunk to lure the LIFE people), and everything we saw suggests it. Don's smirk at the end had me lolin'.

Don missing a whole weekend, and waking up with a completely different woman was just wow. And the second lady calling him "Dick," WTF, Drunk Don FTL :lol Peggy was great the whole ep too.

Barrett2

Interesting episode; because im' not caught up on back seasons some of it lacked context for me, but really great. Draper is such a mess.

Empty

lawblob said:
Draper is such a mess.

yeah. it was kinda interesting the way they juxtaposed him screwing up so much this episode while also being showered in glory, and showing how he brilliantly managed to make his own luck to get the job. he's definitely in even more trouble as the series progresses.

just to list his failures this week:

- gets drunk at work, something despite his huge alchohol intake he doesn't do
- lost his composure in business meeting, gets desperate to win account in a cringe worthy way that embarrasses his colleagues
- plagiarized a bad idea, and sold it as his own
- told a random girl his real name
- turned down by faye
- missed over 24 hours of time
- failed to care for his children at all. shown up when it comes to parenting by betty
- kicked into line by peggy, rather than the other way round as in series past
- lost his trophy
- forced into hiring someone he thought was a joke after failing to outwit him

i wonder if the depiction of duck in this episode was an omen of what could happen.

Empty said:
Someone needs to gif Roger holding Don's trophy and doing the victory lap round the table for the Emmy thread.

Like this?
jsezr4.gif

Just think of Pete as a Lost fan.

hamchan

:lol

I never noticed Pete Campbell's bitch face in that scene. I love it.

Empty said:
yeah. it was kinda interesting the way they juxtaposed him screwing up so much this episode while also being showered in glory, and showing how he brilliantly managed to make his own luck to get the job. he's definitely in even more trouble as the series progresses.

just to list his failures this week:

- gets drunk at work, something despite his huge alchohol intake he doesn't do
- lost his composure in business meeting, gets desperate to win account in a cringe worthy way that embarrasses his colleagues
- plagiarized a bad idea, and sold it as his own
- told a random girl his real name
- turned down by faye
- missed over 24 hours of time
- failed to care for his children at all. shown up when it comes to parenting by betty
- kicked into line by peggy, rather than the other way round as in series past
- lost his trophy
- forced into hiring someone he thought was a joke after failing to outwit him

i wonder if the depiction of duck in this episode was an omen of what could happen.

Holy crap that's a lot of failures in one ep.

LM4sure

Banned
Cornballer said:
Someone on the SA forums caught this - check out the model in the fur coat ad that Don put together:

34nhdmh.jpg

:O

Wow, I completely missed that. MIND BLOWN!!!

And you'd think that Don would be able to hold his liquor a bit better with the amount he is always drinking in the office.

gdt

God this show absolutely insane right now. It's fucking crazy the level we're working on. Every single episode has been fantastic. When Don kissed Joan my jaw dropped. I fucking gasped when that girl called him Dick :lol .

sogood.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
_dementia said:
okay, what is the point of joey? to demonstrate they have new blood in the office?
i think in part to parallel the how Don was likewise brought into advertising through free-flowing alcohol.

scorcho said:
i think in part to parallel the how Don was likewise brought into advertising through free-flowing alcohol.
no, joey is the young guy was introduced in episode 1 and called don pathetic in episode 2

Uncle

Duderz said:

He hooked up with the black haired ad woman on friday and woke up with the blonde waitress on sunday, no? He was on a binge.

Viewt

_dementia said:
okay, what is the point of joey? to demonstrate they have new blood in the office?
He's basically the new Smitty. He probably won't have a story arc - he's just there as an ancillary character.

And I'll echo the comments that this was a(nother) wonderful episode. Season 4's only half over, but I think it'll end up being the best one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom