• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 is the Fastest Selling Title in 2K History, 4.5M shipped in one week

Certinty

Nice news. Loved the game. Besides the repetitive missions everything else was utterly amazing. Can't wait for the Pro patch.

Honestly there hasnt been very many gta clones this gen, well at least ones that arent remasters.

I can only think of watchdogs and mafia and the upcomming WD 2. So two new ones in three years.

And i like these games and i would buy more of them.

Also stale is totally subjective.

Yep. I'm sad we haven't got more of them because I would inject them right into my veins.

U2NUMB

I am enjoying the game so far. Playing it in pieces so I do not get burned out. But hey 2k.. how about turn on time tracking for the x1 hub... Jerks

Thorn

Too bad the game was released in such a poor state.

So uh, what is gonna be included in the planned update? Doubt it will fix the many problems the game suffers from.

Rellik

So uh, what is gonna be included in the planned update? Doubt it will fix the many problems the game suffers from.

There are things hinted at towards the end of the game that could be great single player DLC.

dr_rus

Interested in the sell through numbers.

Well, the game is at ~330K on PC alone according to SteamSpy, with most copies bought for ~$50. Console versions should do at least twice that so it's safe to assume that we're looking at 1,5M sold through at the minimum.

The game isn't GTA5 clearly but it certainly isn't a flop. I do wonder what was 2K's expectations though.

ViciousDS

Banned
I traded mine back in due to repetition.

The story was fucking amazing though, couldn't stomach to finish it sadly due to mission structure

Cheever

Internet anon loves to decimate anything with cracks in it.

I think aside from the Asian market it was a world-wide release on 3 platforms. My impression is most games sell 5-10x more on consoles than PC. Plus a lot of people nibble at games between work and family instead of binging or visiting forums. I sometimes binged so I cast no stone.

UberTag

Interested in the sell through numbers.
We won't be getting those because publishers only advertise good news and obfuscate bad news. NPD won't be offering any clarity on this either.

Happy for 2K that they were able to swindle a bunch of retailers, though. They did a good job selling the game to one audience at least.
It's an audience that isn't subjected to the repetitiveness of the game itself or one that insists on glowing reviews so they're much easier to please.
This audience also loved No Man's Sky.

One thing I will say to 2K's credit is that they have been aggressive about patching the many holes in NBA 2K17.
Granted, some of these patches have opened up additional exploits... BUT they have been diligent about it.
I would suspect Mafia III will get some earnest follow-up in this department as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Internet anon loves to decimate anything with cracks in it.

I think aside from the Asian market it was a world-wide release on 3 platforms. My impression is most games sell 5-10x more on consoles than PC. Plus a lot of people nibble at games between work and family instead of binging or visiting forums. I sometimes binged so I cast no stone.

Mafia 3 doesn't have 'cracks' it's a mess of pieces being loosely constrained(not held) together by some twine. Game's like writing an essay with zero outline and just winging it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Any deals on PC version?

How does it run now?

(i7/980 ti/12gb)

CDKeys have emailed my twice offering it at £18, it'll be going for £10 soon I'm sure. Pretty badly, they've not touched it.

Matt

Does it really matter? Shipped through means the publishers already got the money from retailers, right?
They generally have to pay back the retailers to cover price cuts, and then eventually have to buy back excess stock if it really tanked.

Mr. Tibbs

Mafia 3 doesn't have 'cracks' it's a mess of pieces being loosely constrained(not held) together by some twine. Game's like writing an essay with zero outline and just winging it.

But what if mess of pieces loosely constrained by twine are a style of game people enjoy?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
But what if mess of pieces loosely constrained by twine are a style of game people enjoy?

Let's see how that is a month from now because I can think of another game that released this year that did well on launch before people figured out what the loop of the game was
No_Man's_Sky.jpg

Mafia 3 starts very theatrically and driven and immediately falls into a time locked progression system that forces mission after mission of MMO-esque criteria on you. The game had a huge initial push. People are starved for another GTA-like game but you don't realize what Mafia 3 is until about 3 or 4 hours in. No amount of bug fixing will change that.

Zolo

It's very rare to get sell-through, but it happens on occasion. Digital only games are of course entirely sell-through.

Thanks. I don't see the reason for any big discussion about it only being sell-through then unless this is a big case where the gap between sell-in and sell-through are unusually large which admittedly seems like it may be the case with Gamestop's statement.

Does it really matter? Shipped through means the publishers already got the money from retailers, right?
The difference in this case is what it might mean for Mafia 4 and retailers buying that taking into account Mafia 3.

BigDug13

People are desperate for single player open world city games. Rockstar doesn't seem interested in it anymore but it seems to me that a single player DLC would sell absolute gangbusters to their over 70 million owners.

I expect Watchdogs 2 to dominate as well.

ViolentP

Right? I want more open world crime game protagonists who act in their own interests more often than not, and aren't just begrudgingly following orders the whole time.

Yeah, Mafia 2 had you slowly working your way up the ranks. 3 is a straight up revenge tale and Clay is an amazing character to deliver it.

ViolentP

It's terrible with a controller tbh, mouse and keyboard is the way to go.

Tommy gun with a mouse is legendary, that recoil.

I tried with the controller only because the keyboard felt bugged. That intro car chase, though I held the key down, the car simply wouldn't move fast enough.

Älg

Gotta say that's super unexpected. Although, this is one of the few games for which I've seen marketing in the wild. Guess that really pays off.

Top Bottom