• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic The Gathering: Arena unveil stream (full MTG digital card game) [Over]

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I mean it's pretty similar to Hearthstone where people that know the cards aren't going to be popping up every piece of text and reading it, but it seems like most of that stuff is available to read if you need it.
None of the keywords are explained in the UI so I've been left going 'uh what' most of the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is like the biggest non-answer that shows how much faith they have in this game.
The actual answer is that MTGO by default is super unfriendly to new players and probably never will be.

Wamb0wneD

Amaz in the house lmao.

I really hope this is better than Duels. Played Duels for way too long in hope it will be there. Has anything been said about card limitations? Only being able to get one mythic rare, 2 rares and 3 uncommons in there was really really bad and limited what you could combo.

I fucking hate these developers, and I fucking hate this company. Both incompetent.

Duels was supposed to last years. They even told us don't worry pay for shit now this is going to go on for some time. They cut the cord short of two years without even giving a fucking hint to anyone what was going on. They left Duels with the worst board too. None of what the community wanted was ever implemented past some avatars. Stainless and Wizards can suck my balls.

That's kinda harsh but also true. Is it stainless again? The Beta signup says world class developers, so it can't be stainless right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The actual answer is that MTGO by default is super unfriendly to new players and probably never will be.

I'm very very curious what, other than legacy support, will be the thing that makes MTGO "worth getting into" after this. The answer could very well be "nothing" and MTGO becomes a platform solely for Legacy/Vintage and Modern brewing

Daedardus

But they could at least tried to make a proper replacement for MTGO or at least fully update the engine working underneath while everyone get keep their cards when they transitioned over. Because MTGO still isn't a friendly program even for expert players.

Amaz in the house lmao.

I really hope this is better than Duels. Played Duels for way too long in hope it will be there. Has anything been said about card limitations? Only being able to get one mythic rare, 2 rares and 3 uncommons in there was really really bad and limited what you could combo.

It's the full rules set.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But they could at least tried to make a proper replacement for MTGO or at least fully update the engine working underneath while everyone get keep their cards when they transitioned over. Because MTGO still isn't a friendly program even for expert players.

The problem is that full support going back to cover Vintage is a herculean programming task from the amount of weird bullshit Magic has dealt with over the years. Its probably the thing that's kept them from doing this up until this point

Wamb0wneD

Amaz and the girl just chilling out saying nothing for 10 minutes looking in the camera is awkward af.

It's the full rules set.

Fuck me, my life is over I guess. (Until they pull the plug in 2 years again)

I've stopped playing 2 years ago so I have no clue about how standard is going. And it seems they want to push standard only so far so I really hope they do modern asap. Letting stuff rotating out without those cards having any purpose sucks bad.

And ooh I can pick basic lands. Feels good.

The problem is that full support going back to cover Vintage is a herculean programming task from the amount of weird bullshit Magic has dealt with over the years. Its probably the thing that's kept them from doing this up until this point
I'm pretty sure the actual problem is that WOTC has shown no willingness to pay their programmers market rate to make MTGO not a piece of shit

Wamb0wneD

I'm pretty sure the actual problem is that WOTC has shown no willingness to pay their programmers market rate to make MTGO not a piece of shit

This lol. I don't get how WOTC is being so freaking cheap. I mean a point would be that a good online game would pull people from their main money maker..but still...

No Modern or EDH is a misstep, and I don't even like or play those formats. Putting in so much effort into MTGA seems strange if you're not going to go for what I assume is maybe half of your playerbase.

No trading would make sense, but I hope that there is some digital/physical product crossover to compensate. Like getting a digital booster in a physical one.

I remain optimistic, but there's certainly work to be done here. Like that tapping.

aEku

i dont know how i should feel about this,

players invested 100 of hours and real money to get their cards in duels, and 2 years after launch it gets discontinued. so nobody knows if they will do this again..

they said in stream that they want to reach a wider audience and that the original "magic online" will still exist.

it just feels like cash cow.. sorry..

Ashodin

players invested 100 of hours and real money to get their cards in duels, and 2 years after launch it gets discontinued. so nobody knows if they will do this again..

they said in stream that they want to reach a wider audience and that the original "magic online" will still exist.

Arena will definitely be the one that will stay around for years and years.

MrMatt555

No Modern or EDH is a misstep, and I don't even like or play those formats. Putting in so much effort into MTGA seems strange if you're not going to go for what I assume is maybe half of your playerbase.

No trading would make sense, but I hope that there is some digital/physical product crossover to compensate. Like getting a digital booster in a physical one.

I remain optimistic, but there's certainly work to be done here. Like that tapping.

I imagine they are starting out with just the ixalan set.

ASaiyan

Banned
Didn't get a chance to watch the stream, but I've always been interested in trying out digital Magic (not so much shelling out for all the cards, lol). Does this new one look beginner friendly?

aEku

Arena will definitely be the one that will stay around for years and years.

sure, but why should i get into this when we know magic online will exist as the real magic online.

so maybe now this magic next stuff will exist longer, maybe same time now as magic online will exist and in 5 years they make just 1 new big thing..

but 2 years ago i would be safer when i would have buyd into magic-online :|.

You can grind for free packs but no trading and no reselling unlike MTGO huh... so this is really is Hearthstone =/

this is what a ton of people wanted. and they managed to keep the entire rules/priority complexity

i prefer trading because it's actually cheaper in the long run, but the ccg model is more accessible

HF2014

Well, tbh, a bit dissapointed to read it will be separate from Magic Online. It mean i will have to buy everything again. Their goal is only to have all standards cards available at launch... i wanted more...

Ill wait and see.

Khezu

I just straight up don't trust these assholes to make anything competent, or make any kind of smart decision ever.

They fired everyone who used to handle their digital division and hired all new people to make this.

I hope they started offering better conditions, the pay and benefits they were offering for a job in Seattle was hilarious. Not competitive at all. Like no shit you don't get any experienced people.

tebunker

Banned
Yeah as someone who actively dislikes Hearthstone's gameplay I've been super excited for them to finally do something like this

Thanks to my 8 yo I started playing PTCG and it really is MTG lite, which makes sense since Old Wotc helped with Nintendo. They've gone off in a much different direction but the bones are still there and good. I only miss the interaction on an opponent's turn of MTG.

MTG really is superbly designed at its most basic level. I just kind of wish they could merge this and mtgo better. I had a $1000 collection in mtgo about 5 years ago thay I sold off because Wotc drives me crazy.

I was impressed with what I saw. Played Magic many years ago. Burned out from Hearthstone about a year ago.

All I want is a competent online version of MtG. This looks like it.

ultron87

I am a little concerned at what the cost of building a competitive deck will be with a Hearthstone style economy. You don't need just 2 of most cards and one of the Legendaries like in Hearthstone. You'll need to be able to get 4 of everything.

PC only "for now" is....very disappointing. MTGO is super buggy and ugly, so I get trying to give the full Magic experience but with a nicer coat of paint, but, I really want to play this on Mac or consoles.

They're still in alpha so they don't want to commit on what will be available day one. This will inevitably have Mac and tablet support.

I'm a bit confused - is this a sequel to MTGO, Duels, or a hybrid?

It's a Hearthstone competitor, so none of the above.

This is like the biggest non-answer that shows how much faith they have in this game.

This is much more about how little they care about MTGO than anything about this game.

I just straight up don't trust these assholes to make anything competent, or make any kind of smart decision ever.

WotC had an absolutely horrid record with anything technical and no understanding of how to improve on that, which is why Hasbro agreed to spend eight figures on building a new platform as long as they could install a new WotC CEO and VP of Digital from actual game developers and fire all the old digital product management.

I am a little concerned at what the cost of building a competitive deck will be with a Hearthstone style economy. You don't need just 2 of most cards and one of the Legendaries like in Hearthstone. You'll need to be able to get 4 of everything.

Their pricing and crafting models will be built with that in mind. With no trading and no redemption system they don't have to keep prices anywhere remotely near paper prices, and they can give you a lot more packs for free.

Neith

Banned

My trust is long gone with these guys. It was year after year of cheap bullshit, and that Duels pull the plug without even a hint hackjob was the last damn straw man.

We'll see new developers blah blah blah. This company is not to be trusted.

Firemind

are you familiar with the term gacha?

This seems like a bit of a bungled announcement to me...

Let's say you're on PC. You already have an option for Magic that grants you full access to all of the game's sets, full rule sets, drafts, sealed, pauper, etc., as well as competitive play integration. The only thing it really lacks is a more stable client that looks better.

Arena gives you the flashier looking option...and likely better streaming options. But otherwise, it's a far slimmer package.

Let's say you're on console or Mac. You have never had a game of Magic that actually plays like Magic. There's always been limitations on the card counts, what cards are available within a specific format, etc. Sealed had a very limited version introduced once, draft has been completely MIA.

So, if this game had been announced as "coming to PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One and Switch soon" I think the takeaway from most people would be "finally, I can play Standard, draft and sealed in the current format on my platform of choice!" Instead, it's mostly MTGO players scratching their heads.

Granted, I do think this is coming to all consoles and maybe Mac eventually...but just for optics, it would've been better to announce that right away to start the conversation off right.

(My gut instinct is they are hoping this will slowly take over MTGO, they just can't rip the bandaid off because of the intense financial contributions people have made into that client already...and it'd probably take years to slowly introduce all of the cards that format has).

Let's say you're on PC. You already have an option for Magic that grants you full access to all of the game's sets, full rule sets, drafts, sealed, pauper, etc., as well as competitive play integration. The only thing it really lacks is a more stable client that looks better.

Arena gives you the flashier looking option...and likely better streaming options. But otherwise, it's a far slimmer package.

Let's say you're on console or Mac. You have never had a game of Magic that actually plays like Magic. There's always been limitations on the card counts, what cards are available within a specific format, etc. Sealed had a very limited version introduced once, draft has been completely MIA.

So, if this game had been announced as "coming to PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One and Switch soon" I think the takeaway from most people would be "finally, I can play Standard, draft and sealed in the current format on my platform of choice!" Instead, it's mostly MTGO players scratching their heads.

Granted, I do think this is coming to all consoles and maybe Mac eventually...but just for optics, it would've been better to announce that right away to start the conversation off right.

(My gut instinct is they are hoping this will slowly take over MTGO, they just can't rip the bandaid off because of the intense financial contributions people have made into that client already...and it'd probably take years to slowly introduce all of the cards that format has).

In MTGO you have to spend money to get cards

Ashodin

LIkely they want to do a staggered rollout so they can "celebrate" each release.

This is also a bit of a problem in Eternal (fantastic game btw), where the pack structure sticks to "one rare or better" despite allowing 4x copies per deck. It can take a good long while to build anything resembling control or midrange as a result, due to their higher reliance on legendaries when compared to aggro.

In MTGO you have to spend money to get cards

If you don't spend money in CCGs, you will be boxed into the budget decks without rare/legendary cards. MTGA is going to be cheaper than MTGO, but you will have to shell money for extra packs to assemble rares/mythics for your deck.

MTGO:
• Nobody's digital cards transfer to MTGA
• MTGO is not getting any of MTGA improvements
• Community exodus, especially if drafting is cheaper in MTGA
• Lower chances for new players to join MTGO, because MTGA is the highlight product

Top Bottom