• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of sad that the one pack of MM3 I've opened had Gifts+Soul Warden+a foil Warden, which even right now is still better value then the 5+ Packs of MM2 I opened.

This set definitely feels less.. "Feel bad?"

Rafy

It's kind of sad that the one pack of MM3 I've opened had Gifts+Soul Warden+a foil Warden, which even right now is still better value then the 5+ Packs of MM2 I opened.

While that's true, from what I've seen so far there's something fishy going on with distribution of cards in boxes. People that have bought cases and split them with friends, as well as stores, have said the same.

kirblar

That's because it IS less bad. MM2 was a feast/famine set. MM3 is not.

It's like being used to dog food and getting filet.

A_Dang

I did a draft last night for a friends birthday. Pack 1, pick 1: Misty Rainforest.

After that I didn't really care how anything went, I got my money back in a card I will use.

I ended up getting a pretty good blink deck with some splicers, a warden, a deadeye and some other good stuff. It was a ton of fun and one of the best draft experiences I've had. I only played one full game though.

That's because it IS less bad. MM2 was a feast/famine set. MM3 is not.

It's like being used to dog food and getting filet.
That's true, I'm just used to MM2 being awful as a set reprint wise.

Speaking of Feast/Famine(and other contrasting motifs), I'm wondering if we get Gold Consequences Cards(assuming it's real), because that sounds like something that would make a name shortlist if Dusk/Dawn is the card name (same starting letter, words have differing connotations)

kirblar

That's true, I'm just used to MM2 being awful as a set reprint wise.

Speaking of Feast/Famine(and other contrasting motifs), I'm wondering if we get Gold Consequences Cards(assuming it's real), because that sounds like something that would make a name shortlist if Dusk/Dawn is the card name (same starting letter, words have differing connotations)
Not doing them in the block would be really weird. I think they have to be coming at some point because they moved them to their own section, which they didn't do in Planar Chaos.

Tunoku

Not doing them in the block would be really weird. I think they have to be coming at some point because they moved them to their own section, which they didn't do in Planar Chaos.

Considering the number, I wonder how many Consequence cards are gonna end up being in the set and how much of a role they'll play in limited. Would they come before gold cards, artifacts, and lands? Maybe it's a mechanic like meld that barely turns up in the set.

Spoilers aren't until April 3, but I don't have time off planned this time, so I'll go ahead and start drafting the next OT. I'm cutting the OP down a bit, since they've been getting a bit bloated.

CPmA0Kh.png

Official page
Amonkhet set information
Previous topic: Aether Revolt (OT10)

INTRO
Welcome to the Multiverse! Multiple worlds exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and they are as different as night and day. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana. Most residents of these planes are unaware of other worlds, but there are some special beings with the ability to safely travel between them, known as Planeswalkers.

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a hit, and it is currently bigger than it has ever been. You and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get every opponent down to 0 life wins.

This time, we visit the Egyptian mythology world of Amonkhet, featuring mummies, gods, and a graveyard theme.

Banned and Restricted List Update - For the first time in years, cards have been banned in Standard:
* Emrakul, the Promised End
* Smuggler's Copter
* Reflector Mage

But many still consider Standard to be a mess right now, and people expect more cards to be banned at the next update. Felidar Guardian is very likely to be banned, and many say Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is possible too.

GETTING STARTED
If you're a beginner, feel free to come in. Us regulars can get a bit technical with card evaluations and use a lot of jargon, and many of us will loudly proclaim that a cool-looking card is junk, or say that a lame-looking card is really powerful, so ask us if you want an explanation.

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series (now discontinued), where Day[9] battled various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

To get started, check out the official page. Basically:
* It's recommended that new players play Magic Duels (thread). It's a great way to learn the game on your own, and it's free!
* After that point, the act of deck building can be intimidating, so it's recommended that you try out a preconstructed deck and customize it with other cards you get, before you start making your own from scratch. Planeswalker Decks are preconstructed decks that come with four unique new cards, including a new Planeswalker card. If you have a friend to play with, there are also Duel Decks that provide two decks for a game right out of the box, but are a bit more complicated.
* To get your physical collection started, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, which includes not just a starting collection of cards (including a lot of lands), but also some booster packs and a good box to store cards in. The Holiday Gift Box provides an even larger starting collection and better storage.
* The different play formats can be found here. The most popular formats where you start out with no deck and have to make them from scratch (Limited) are Draft and Sealed. The most popular formats where you bring a 60-card deck ahead of time (Constructed) are Standard, Modern, and Legacy. Casual play has no restrictions other than what your friends decide. Once your skill advances, another popular way to play Magic casually is Commander.
* While game stores will often hold Magic events at other times, every store that has Magic events will have Friday Night Magic. There, you will be able to find other players in your area to both have matches with and trade with. Find game stores here. And to get started participating in your local game store (LGS) scene, attend a prerelease!

PRERELEASE
While the set won't officially be sold until the release date, that isn't the first time you can get your hands on the new cards. Game stores hold prerelease events for every set in the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

Prerelease events will be held on April 22-23, 2017. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

YavUo78.png

STORY
Lore introduction

Amonkhet is a harsh desert world where people and other beings gather in oases, raising warriors to go through the Trials of the Five Gods, and thus gain the favor of the gods.

After halting the plans of the evil dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas on Kaladesh, the heroic Gatewatch have decided to confront him on Amonkhet, a plane he created long ago where he is worshiped. The Gatewatch hope to catch Bolas off guard, but can they stand a chance when everyone in the world is against them?

Story archive
Planeswalker biographies

CARD THEMES

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Latest Developments, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building. For older articles before the site changed, go here.
Official card list - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Salvation's Rumor Mill - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Mythic Spoiler - A good way to see what cards have been spoiled, updates throughout the day.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Magidex - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

PREVIOUS THREADS
Aether Revolt (OT10)
Kaladesh (OT9)
Eldritch Moon (OT8)
Shadows over Innistrad (OT7)
Oath of the Gatewatch OT (OT6)
Battle for Zendikar OT (OT5)
OT4
OT3
OT2
OT1

SCHEDULE
Amonkhet
Start of spoilers - April 3, 2017
Full reveal - April 14, 2017
Prerelease - April 22-23, 2017
Release - April 28, 2017
Magic Online Launch - April 24, 2017
On Sale in Magic Online - April 28, 2017

Grand Prix Mexico City (Team Limited) - April 7-9
Grand Prix Richmond (Limited) - May 5-7
Grand Prix Bologna (Limited) - May 5-7
Grand Prix Beijing (Limited) - May 5-7
Pro Tour Amonkhet (Standard, Draft) - May 12-14
Grand Prix Montreal (Standard) - May 19-21
Grand Prix Santiago (Standard) - May 19-21
Grand Prix Copenhagen (Modern) - May 26-28
Grand Prix Kobe (Modern) - May 26-28
Grand Prix Omaha (Standard) - June 2-4
Grand Prix Amsterdam (Standard) - June 2-4
Grand Prix Manila (Standard) - June 2-4

Commander Anthology - June 9, 2017
Grand Prix Las Vegas (Legacy, Limited, Modern) - June 15-18
Archenemy: Nicol Bolas - June 16, 2017

Hour of Devastation
Estimated start of spoilers - June 18, 2017
Full reveal - June 30, 2017
Prerelease - July 8-9, 2017

Oo1MKBnHQA.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm guessing the frame on those cards is there for the simple reason that they thought it would be confusing to players familiar with regular split cards that one half has a completely different use condition.

I'm guessing the frame on those cards is there for the simple reason that they thought it would be confusing to players familiar with regular split cards that one half has a completely different use condition.

Maro has been talking about how they've been pushing for a special frame in each set. Its just been becoming more mechanically tied over time. They clearly wanted a new frame no matter what for this, and there are only so many ways to fit a type-line into it.

I would have taken the cards split horizontally like they are but be parallel. Something about that layout hurts my limited aesthetic senses. It's like feature creep, let's do it because we can now.

Staring at them is sort of awful, but when I imagine them in the graveyard its pretty cool
Idk, I don't see it. I'm one of the people stacking exiled cards perpendicular to my graveyard beneath it and recently I've moved to having my deck rest in landscape.

Lastly they are not going to make a rúle that the card has to stick out of the graveyard so it's better to conceal the information from your opponent. Even if it is publicly available.

y2dvd

The top decks at my pptq were all flicker archetype. My 3 losses were to them. My final opponent got to flicker Resto Angel and Thragtusk several times lol.

But yeah, flicker is a nightmare to deal with. It deals with tokens really well, it blanks out target spells, it makes combat difficult. It's just so resilient.

I too love me some overpowered and banned cards. Doesn't mean Wizards is ever going to print equivalent pieces.
Swords are Feast/Famine>Fire/Ice>Light/Shadow>Body/Mind=War/Peace imo

If they ever do friendly colours I hope the equip costs will reflect the colours, Sun and Moon would cost UW to equip for instance.

Wulfric

I too love me some overpowered and banned cards. Doesn't mean Wizards is ever going to print equivalent pieces.

Oh no, I'm not holding out on that. Wizards is still traumatized by Stoneforge, so I doubt we'll see anything useful for eternal formats. Not until Conspiracy 3 at least.

OnPoint

Swords are Feast/Famine>Fire/Ice>Light/Shadow>Body/Mind=War/Peace imo

If they ever do friendly colours I hope the equip costs will reflect the colours, Sun and Moon would cost UW to equip for instance.

The Swords are not the OP cards in that list.

Also I don't think they'll change the actual mechanics if they ever do them again. And it's a big if for completing that cycle.

As for what they should name them, to me it's:

Truth & Justice - White Blue
Self & Sacrifice - Blue Black
Pain & Suffering - Black Red
Might & Fury - Red Green
Love & Harmony - Green White

And no, I don't think they necessarily have to mirror split cards if they share a name. Blue Black was the hardest one to imagine but I like it. I hate the Green White one. Harmony seems right, but I can't think of the other word. Meh.

Wizards being Traumatized by Mystic is their own damn fault for printing Batterskull. It was B-Skull being pushed harder then it had any right to that caused Mystic to cause problems.

It's similar to how Fandral Staghelm was fine in Hearthstone until they printed Jade Idol, which is a completely stupid card that feels pushed beyond any sane level.

Also, for allied swords, I'm personally of the belief the names would be based on the two principles each color share
Control & Creation- White Blue
Power & Progress - Blue Black
Malice & Misery - Black Red
Freedom & Fraternity - Red Green
Harmony & Healing - Green White

That makes no sense, you want to play Jade Idol before Fandral to not dilute your deck early game.
Fandral was always crazy strong.

GW Sword of Balance & Genesis
UB Sword of Study & Subterfuge
RG Sword of Survival & Squander
BR Sword of YOLO & Death

That makes no sense, you want to play Jade Idol before Fandral to not dilute your deck early game.
Fandral was always crazy strong.

I mean Jade in the late game, when they get to go 1 Mana "Summon an X/X and shuffle 3 copies" if he's kept alive.

He was always strong, but Jade Idol is his Batterskull in terms of Value: It turns a good card(Fandral) into downright stupid(Because both B.Skull and Jade Idol reek of "Let's try to make this really good")

I mean Jade in the late game, when they get to go 1 Mana "Summon an X/X and shuffle 3 copies" if he's kept alive.

He was always strong, but Jade Idol is his Batterskull in terms of Value: It turns a good card(Fandral) into downright stupid(Because both B.Skull and Jade Idol reek of "Let's try to make this really good")
I disagree Auctioneer is much stronger in that scenario. Fandral turns Nourish into draw 3 for 3, wrath into 4 damage to minion draw a card, raven idol into draw 2 for 1,...

Jade Idol changed nothing for him imo.

OnPoint

Wizards being Traumatized by Mystic is their own damn fault for printing Batterskull. It was B-Skull being pushed harder then it had any right to that caused Mystic to cause problems.

It's similar to how Fandral Staghelm was fine in Hearthstone until they printed Jade Idol, which is a completely stupid card that feels pushed beyond any sane level.

Also, for allied swords, I'm personally of the belief the names would be based on the two principles each color share
Control & Creation- White Blue
Power & Progress - Blue Black
Malice & Misery - Black Red
Freedom & Fraternity - Red Green
Harmony & Healing - Green White
Right, I went for that as well. I still think we'll never see the allied paired Swords, though. Maybe in Commander decks I guess. But I doubt they'll ever be in standard.

Yeah, I don't think we're getting Standard Swords ever again. The strongest equipment we've gotten since SoM Block has to be either Sword of the Animist or Slayer's Plate, both of which.. well, let me put it this way: I ran both in GW Humans(Jank, I know) in SoI Standard with "fixed" Mystic(Relic Seeker, which wanted something non-shitty to fetch), but both never really pulled their weight in a way a sword would.

I disagree Auctioneer is much stronger in that scenario. Fandral turns Nourish into draw 3 for 3, wrath into 4 damage to minion draw a card, raven idol into draw 2 for 1,...

Jade Idol changed nothing for him imo.

I completely blanked on Nourish/Wrath, which figures since I'm the one guy who plays Jank brews.

I think my original point of Mystic becoming a problem when they pushed Batterskull remains, because B-Skull is just nuts.

traveler

Not Wario
Is SFM fetching a one off (susceptible to either discard orsorcery speed removal taking out the SFM) and then cheating that equip in for 2 more really that absurd in beater efficiency these days? We've got 1 mana 7/7s, 2 mana 4/4s that set up your draws/ and the classic 2 mana 5/6 or 6/7 that is goyf. I don't really feel like it's *that* far off what we have. Without Jitte in the format and no desire on WotC's end to print equipment in line with the swords- never mind batterskull- I'm not sure SFM is that broken anymore. White could use some help too.

Santiako

GP SHIZUOKA Top 8

Masayasu Tanahashi (Temur Tower)
Qi Wentao (Mardu Ballista)
Je Sungeun (Mardu Ballista)
Takanori Watanabe (Mardu Ballista)
Ryohei Kirino (Mardu Ballista)
Yusuke Sasabe (Mardu Ballista)
Akihiro Miyamoto (Mardu Ballista)
Motoaki Itou (Jund Aggro)

I completely blanked on Nourish/Wrath, which figures since I'm the one guy who plays Jank brews.

I think my original point of Mystic becoming a problem when they pushed Batterskull remains, because B-Skull is just nuts.
Oh yes I agree completely.
Is SFM fetching a one off (susceptible to either discard orsorcery speed removal taking out the SFM) and then cheating that equip in for 2 more really that absurd in beater efficiency these days? We've got 1 mana 7/7s, 2 mana 4/4s that set up your draws/ and the classic 2 mana 5/6 or 6/7 that is goyf. I don't really feel like it's *that* far off what we have. Without Jitte in the format and no desire on WotC's end to print equipment in line with the swords- never mind batterskull- I'm not sure SFM is that broken anymore. White could use some help too.
I think me and Infinite Stars are completely with ya and have both argued the same in this thread before. I think SFM has been fine ever since they printed Kolaghan's Command

bigkrev

GP SHIZUOKA Top 8

Masayasu Tanahashi (Temur Tower)
Qi Wentao (Mardu Ballista)
Je Sungeun (Mardu Ballista)
Takanori Watanabe (Mardu Ballista)
Ryohei Kirino (Mardu Ballista)
Yusuke Sasabe (Mardu Ballista)
Akihiro Miyamoto (Mardu Ballista)
Motoaki Itou (Jund Aggro)

Oh thank god Temur Tower got a T8, that should give WOTC enough justification to not just leave the ban list untouched, it slso walk back the added windows to add cards because the meta game always solves itself iPod some horseshit

Rafy

So I just looked at the decks that went 9-0 in this weekend's GP and I realized I have all the cards except for 4x Saheeli Rai and 2x Chandra, along with some Kaladesh rare duals (that I need to buy anyway before Amonkhet).

What do you guys say, should I go for it or do you think I am going to loose money in a month with the new B&R announcement?

Currently I am giving priority to some modern cards (Goyf,Lili) first and I would do this after.

EDIT: I draft AER every week for about 10 Euro, so I might pull the cards I need from the drafts, but with my luck I doubt it...

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

It is also a tutor that gets your best card for 2 mana. All of the other ones you mentioned are supposed to have some kind of deckbuilding restriction to make them that powerful. SFM makes it so you don't have to play 4-ofs of your equipment to find them which is the opposite of restriction.

It's amazing how three colour aggro decks can be fast and consistent in Standard.

There are 8 City of Brass in standard, one of which doesn't even cost life. There are four different dual land cycles as well, 2 allied and 2 enemy. With the only hoser being a 4 mana sorcery in red. I'm surprised any decks wouldn't be three/four colors. We could really use a Tec Edge soon.

bigkrev

It's amazing how three colour aggro decks can be fast and consistent in Standard.

The lands in Standard right now are incredibly good for Aggro decks- Dual Lands that enter untapped, 2 different City of Brass varients that don't always damage you, and your CIPT duals are also creatures for the lategame.

Wulfric

Do you guys think we'll get a dual land cycle in amonkhet? I wonder if it'll be new, finish a cycle, or a reprint.

Nah, not until fall at least. Right now we have taplands, tangos, and fastlands. Also Aether Hub, so they probably don't need to add anything else unless Amonkhet is a gold environment. Theros temples would be a cool reprint, on second thought.

y2dvd

Yikes at those GP results. My lgs is a fairly big one. They normally get more standard players than modern, but for the past several weeks, everyone shifted to playing modern. Now with MM17 released, I don't even think standard is gonna fire anymore at FNM.

It is also a tutor that gets your best card for 2 mana. All of the other ones you mentioned are supposed to have some kind of deckbuilding restriction to make them that powerful. SFM makes it so you don't have to play 4-ofs of your equipment to find them which is the opposite of restriction.

Yeah, the power of Stoneforge Mystic is that it's a tutor (because it gets something out of your library) and card advantage (because you get the equipment but keep the creature) and a free spell (because you can play the equipment without paying its cost.) It's the three most developmentally problematic mechanics all in one package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom