• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Energy is not Parasitic. Per WotC own words, Parasitic Means that the card does nothing without other similar cards(IE Kamigawa's Splice mechanic). Every energy card makes you energy that can be used for any energy usage, and most make enough energy on ETb for activation.

You can play cards like Voltaic Brawler without going whole hog on Energy. Hell, you can even do that with Dynavolt Tower(It's an infinite combo in an EDH deck I have),or Marvel, or any other energy cards. You can't do it with actual parasitic mechanics(IE Ingest/Process, which are both fucking useless without each other)
How is splice considered parasitic then. The cards with splice/arcane still do enough on their own as is evidenced by a handful of them seeing modern play and constructed formats have access to 4 ofs of every single splice cards. Desperate Ritual in storm for instance.
Putting aside Marvel (which is just an idiotic design top to bottom in retrospect) Energy is the best part of Kaladesh block!
I think there's a couple more cards that scale too well with energy. I think it's a decent enough mechanic that I'd look forward to return to it but at the same hand it was no second coming. It shares considerable overlap with charge counters from mirrodin block just more interconnectivity between cards and being detached from permanents.

OnPoint

Is it this card's time to shine??

Planar%2BBridge%2B%255BAER%255D.jpg

No

Nice to see Marvel gone. I suppose it's time for a redo on the next OT title.

As for Duels, I didn't expect them to discontinue that, especially without an immediate replacement. I guess I'll continue including it in the OT for now, since it still has the single player mode for teaching the game. charlequin, you should update the title of the Gaming thread.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Triple Kaladesh was a great draft format. Easily my favorite since triple Khans.
Kaladesh was a less interesting aggro format than amonkhet where the glorybringer was at common. Also no way is that shit better than eldritch moon

Yeef

Kaladesh was a less interesting aggro format than amonkhet where the glorybringer was at common. Also no way is that shit better than eldritch moon
Disagree. Kaladesh had room for aggressive, controlling and combo decks in limited that did well. Even Amonkhet isn't what I'd consider overly aggressive (though it is more so than a lot of recent sets). I set the bar for aggressive formats at Gatecrash.

Eldritch Moon was a great format, but triple Kaladesh is a lot better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
too many cards scale way too good. I can take out gearhulks with harnessed lightning playing nothing but glimmers and aether hubs for energy generation.

Also process actually is relevant in modern through 1 or 2 cards.
So terminate with a condition. Wow that's so scary.

And one process card in a tier 2 deck that has never put up decent results. Truly the worth of processing is enormous.

Lucario

Holy shit, that crucible creature.
Afflict is interesting too.

How do they have so many of the same prerelease promo, though? Is it possible we're going back to having one promo per set?

Is this some weird hindsight gloating
that's exactly what it is.
So terminate with a condition. Wow that's so scary.

And one process card in a tier 2 deck that has never put up decent results. Truly the worth of processing is enormous.
Monored terminate with a condition, just another piece to the puzzle why UR control doesn't require a third colour.

1 is more than energy will ever be outside of standard, the synergies are actually amusing. Also Blight Herder saw some play as well in a deck with a fairly good record.

DrArchon

I'll take a creature that gives everyone on your team Afflict 1 like a nerfed Hellrider please.

Crucible snake looks awesome. If I ever decide to make a Gitrog Monster EDH deck, I'll be happy to have the redundancy.

Justin

More leaks

Abrade
1R
Instant
Choose One
- Abrade deals 3 damage to target creature
- Destroy target Artifact

Adorned Pouncer
1W
Creature - Cat
Double Strike
Eternalize - 3WW
1/1

Lucario

It's the launch promo, not a PreRelease promo.

Whoops, makes more sense, thanks. That's a pretty damn strong launch promo compared to what we've been seeing recently!

Time to sleeve up my Ghost Quarters, Leonin Arbiters, and Horizon Canopies.

Those cards look interesting. Perhaps externalize is similar to bestow, but from the graveyard.

Also, seriously, new thread titles. I'm making the new thread Thursday night.

DrArchon

Maybe Eternalize is like mega-embalm, where they come back from the graveyard bigger than when they went in. Come to think of it, probably not just because they can't use +1/+1 counters.

Bestow from the graveyard would be cool as well, but I'd rather get a creature from my yard than an Aura. Unless it's 100% like Bestow and becomes a creature after the enchanted creature bites it. That'd be way too good though.

Justin

Maybe Eternalize is like mega-embalm, where they come back from the graveyard bigger than when they went in. Come to think of it, probably not just because they can't use +1/+1 counters.

Bestow from the graveyard would be cool as well, but I'd rather get a creature from my yard than an Aura. Unless it's 100% like Bestow and becomes a creature after the enchanted creature bites it. That'd be way too good though.

Yeah my guess is its an embalm but it comes back with indestructible.

Yeah Eternalize has to be noticeably better than Embalm since the cost on this one creature is so high. There are no +1/+1 counters in this block so indestructible seems like the most obvious call.

Cancelling Magic Duels is really surprising to me. I thought Duels was part of the reason Magic exploded in popularity a few years ago. It served as a cheap (now free) way to teach new players the game.

The new digital game will assuredly serve this purpose once it releases. In the interim it's not like they're pulling the existing game down, they're just stopping new updates. It's still plenty to give new players an opportunity to try it out until they get MDN off the ground.

Most of this seems like a development problem once again though. What does maro being excited have to do with that?

Yeah, since I'm not on the kirblar anti-vehicles bus I attribute the problems with Kaladesh much more strongly to development. Energy is a good mechanic that actually plays pretty well outside of Marvel and there are a ton of individually nifty cards.

Eternalize (if it is what we think it is) strikes me as a potentially interesting counterpoint to Afflict, in a meta sense. Come back tougher vs. Do as much damage as possible before you drop.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Abrade is brutal against Mardu Vehicles type decks. Adorned Pouncer gonna make Tribal Cats win PT HOU.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Those cards look interesting. Perhaps externalize is similar to bestow, but from the graveyard.

Also, seriously, new thread titles. I'm making the new thread Thursday night.

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT| Thread Subtitle is banned.

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT| Marvel-less!

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT| Approach of the Second Son of Samut

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT| It's at 6PM on Friday Nights

Correction: Splice isn't 100% parasitic, but Ingest/Process are.

That Crucible on a stick looks stupid. Like,it's a 3 mana artifact, why is it now on a 3 mana creature? It+Leonin Arbiter+Azusa=Stripmine 3x a turn if you have protection.

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT12| Gatewatch's Creed: Origins

Angry Grimace

Correction: Splice isn't 100% parasitic, but Ingest/Process are.

That Crucible on a stick looks stupid. Like,it's a 3 mana artifact, why is it now on a 3 mana creature? It+Leonin Arbiter+Azusa=Stripmine 3x a turn if you have protection.

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT12| Gatewatch's Creed: Origins

So that's more busted because you can tutor creatures a lot easier than artifacts. Granted you could tutor Crucible of Worlds just fine in Standard lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT12| Try this! No? How about this? Still no? Uhh... this?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
that's exactly what it is.

Monored terminate with a condition, just another piece to the puzzle why UR control doesn't require a third colour.

1 is more than energy will ever be outside of standard, the synergies are actually amusing. Also Blight Herder saw some play as well in a deck with a fairly good record.
So not actually an issue and still a pathetic mechanic. At least energy was good in draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom