• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

The new Liliana jammed into an esper cycling shell to reanimate Archfiend of Ifnir is pretty awesome.

If Unlicensed Disintegration wasn't still a thing, I'd be loving the idea of those 8 cards as the sole win conditions in a 30 land cycling/control deck.

red13th

I wouldn't mind more faeries. They don't fit some planes I guess but honestly we haven't had GOBLINS for ages. Innistrad, Kaladesh and now Amonkhet doesn't look like it has any. If goblins can take extended vacations other creature types can too.

Lucario

What the fuck, I could've taken the T to Worcester and played legacy this weekend? :|

Is there some sort of app that alerts you of upcoming magic events? I need to start going to GPs and opens again.

Supast4r

I wouldn't mind more faeries. They don't fit some planes I guess but honestly we haven't had GOBLINS for ages. Innistrad, Kaladesh and now Amonkhet doesn't look like it has any. If goblins can take extended vacations other creature types can too.
We just had magic origins which had a mini goblin theme. We haven't had faeries since lowryn.

An-Det

Really not a fan of the moni green Post decks, they always seem so toothless compares to the UG versions, especially with respect to sideboard options.

What the fuck, I could've taken the T to Worcester and played legacy this weekend? :|

Is there some sort of app that alerts you of upcoming magic events? I need to start going to GPs and opens again.

I always expected something as ubiquitous as MTGMOM to pop up after that ended, but there seems to still be this empty space for that kind of thing. My group has settled to just a shared google calendar at this point.

red13th

Tidespout Tyrant is from Ravnica, those oooold times back when they printed bounce spells that hit lands. Good times. I remember the Magnivore deck. Turn 2 sorcery-speed Boomerang from Kamigawa, turn 3 Stone Rain gg
My brother in law was crazy about that deck.

I mean, it's super arbitrary. Like, a good chunk of mythical creatures are just "dude + animal" - minotaur, centaur, satyr, hell even merfolk. You just have to decide where that line is. Otherwise we'd have "Centaur Horse Human Warrior" running around and no one wants that.

I'm fine with Naga being over that line. It has enough cache for me as a unique "thing."

I would argue that it's not arbitrary and in fact super simple:

If there's already a broad tribal type that the creature type could have applied to it, put it in that type.

That was the whole point of the great creature type update, to get rid of all the Ghoul-Mummy-Lich-Zombie bullshit and just have everything that's pretty "zombie" be a zombie. The way we can avoid having to do that again in the future is by being properly preventative in not creating entirely new types where they obviously aren't needed.

And man, could it not be more obvious this type isn't needed, though I still give the vote to Siren (ala "Why aren't you merfolk?") as the biggest loser there.

Ashodin

okay the last revision of my deck stinks, time to fix it before amonkhet

(i'm brewing before and after decks)

after this post I went and changed my deck setup and it's sooooo much better now

also Slayer's Plate is the gift that keeps on giving

K0t1S3x.gif

very happy with how slayer's plate turned out... I had it on thraben inspector and it was just glorious

OnPoint

So this caught my eye

lord-dongle asked: Oh hi Mark. Today is my Birthday, could I please have some trivia on my favorite planeswalker, Elspeth?

rosewater answered: Elspeth's home plane was attacked by the Phyrexians. As her home plane isn't Phyrexia, that means there's at least one other strain of Phyrexians out there.

Happy Birthday!

Source: Blogatog

Uh... what?? Is this the first we're hearing of this?

No it was part of her thing for Scars of Mirrodin.

It was speculated but not confirmed at first when her backstory was talked about, they just decided to retcon it for SoM

OnPoint

I knew her whole backstory. Logically it makes sense they would be different from those that took over Mirrodin. I guess I never really thought too much about the timeline differences and how it kind of couldn't be tied into the original Phyrexians running around fucking shit up due to her age.

I think it's really interesting there is a set of Phyrexians out there, stranded on her unnamed home plane just waiting to be unleashed. I hope someday they make use of this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
New Phyrexians vs Old Phyrexias vs Gatewatch Rangers

I think it's really interesting there is a set of Phyrexians out there, stranded on her unnamed home plane just waiting to be unleashed. I hope someday they make use of this.

I mean at some point they're gonna be bringing Elspeth back to life and at some future point they'll almost certainly show us her homeworld, so....

Lucario

Elves at 12-0 makes me so happy
He's not even running the trop/leovold/double cavern version of the deck - just classic elves!

The first time I saw an elves deck do the whole Heritage Druid/Glimpse thing my jaw literally hit the floor. That was the moment I realized that combo was my jam.

Wulfric

Uh oh, I think Aleksi Briclot may have jumped the gun a little early. But this suggests Howard Lyon's Nissa might not actually be for a planeswalker card? That would be strange because she's on the Ultra Pro sleeves for this set.

8fPU3cr.png

aleksibriclotSamut for Amonkhet / #mtg #magicthegathering #mtgart #planeswalker #samut #amonkhet

Neat! Looking forward to the spoilers this week :)

Random question for people more adept and searching:
Is it possible to search magiccards.info for tokens? I have just searched for "Type: Token" but it only shows 13 of them. No goblins or anything.

I am trying to find "Vanilla" token creatures...

Neat! Looking forward to the spoilers this week :)

Random question for people more adept and searching:
Is it possible to search magiccards.info for tokens? I have just searched for "Type: Token" but it only shows 13 of them. No goblins or anything.

I am trying to find "Vanilla" token creatures...

they are the extra tab at the top

Ashodin

rosewater answered: Elspeth's home plane was attacked by the Phyrexians. As her home plane isn't Phyrexia, that means there's at least one other strain of Phyrexians out there.

This was already known; Karn has dripped the oil onto other planes and after New Phyrexia he left to see what he had wronged and fix it before other planes become basically New Phyrexia 2.0, 3.0, etc

Which means Karn is indirectly responsible for Elspeth's spark igniting and her plane being attacked, etc.

I expect we'll get a plane in the future where Karn has engineered a sentient race that's immune to compleation or something fighting with the natives to kill the Phyrexians. What would be cool as fuck would be if they were entrenched into the plane, and the natives have a religion around Karn and shit... man it would badass.

Also if the Phyrexians get onto Valla they will have to contend with some shit

Immersturm.jpg

I just can't get over decks that only have to count to 10. I get that legacy infect is fragile and extremely difficult to play (I certainly don't have the reps or decision making skills for it), but I just want to see it fail.

Nice to see some off the beaten path decks make it in. Like just seeing the mono-red sneak attack hit the turn 2 kill. Daze just didn't make it to Massachusetts this weekend, eh? What this all means is that it is lovely to see legacy still filled with that sweet sweet diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom