• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't wanna overcommit to them in fish as well. Makes KCommand way too good.
I mean, I did get to have the following happen to me, so I might be a bit biased on the "this is good" point:

DSJ vs D&T: Board was Death's Shadow/ Goyf for him, I had Vial on 2, Arbiter, and Copter in play.
Opponent: K-Command, Targetting Copter and Arbiter.
Me: Response, Vial, Selfless Spirit, Crew Copter using Spirit, Sack Spirit.

I mean, I did get to have the following happen to me, so I might be a bit biased on the "this is good" point:

DSJ vs D&T: Board was Death's Shadow/ Goyf for him, I had Vial on 2, Arbiter, and Copter in play.
Opponent: K-Command, Targetting Copter and Arbiter.
Me: Response, Vial, Selfless Spirit, Crew Copter using Spirit, Sack Spirit.

This right there is why I am constantly considering a white splash. Selfless Spirit in the side and Spellqueller would fit fish needs so well and there are a couple slots for honorary merfolk.

But in the end it's almost never worth it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Looter Scooter is amazing in Modern. If it wasn't such a nonbo with Thalia/Stony Silence Post Board, I'd be jamming 4 of them in Modern D&T. It turns Blade Splicer/Inspector into actual threats.

People look at me funny when it hits the battlefield in my 8-Whack deck, but it does work. Nothing like discarding lands while you dig for a Bushwhacker or Goblin Grenade.

The problem with vehicles is that they're colorless. That they jumped immediately to the colorless option on vehicles and equipment was just asking for trouble. New card type, don't know how to balance it perfectly, give every deck access to it. It's happened multiple times now. Why not make them colored? Because artifact? What logic is that? Maro is great at his job and everything, but at some point him not being able to balance things leads to these problems.

traveler

Not Wario
Would Rhonas be an ok 1 of in Jund DS or is he just too expensive? Dodge's fatal push, unlike the rest of the deck, (although they can turn him off if they have push I guess) gives mini Temur BRages to let your team swing through souls, can be searched up off traverse, is almost always online when any other creature is on the board, etc.

Santiako

SS13iM8.png

Harder to activate and the stats are kinda odd.

Santiako

So without playing with any of them I'd rank them Hazoret>Kefnet>Rhonas>Oketra>Bontu. I could be way off since but that's what my gut tells me.

Supast4r

Looter Scooter is amazing in Modern. If it wasn't such a nonbo with Thalia/Stony Silence Post Board, I'd be jamming 4 of them in Modern D&T. It turns Blade Splicer/Inspector into actual threats.
Smugs is great in modern. People will realize it soon enough. It's even better these days since there are less decays/kcommands/bolts played. I'm a huge fan of vechiles and I'm happy that they got pushed.

Okay, so the Red Drop definitely feels like it's the Red "Iconic Two Drop" for Modern that's 1 and a color. The real question is when will we get the White one freed/another White one made?

No, Thalia is not what I mean. #FreeMystic or give us an iconic White Card that's in theme for this cycle.

Zocano

Maybe I'd like that god more if his ability was just B and not 1B. You already have to sac a creature. I know the decks he'd try to be in would be making a lot of tokens or low cost creatures but even still.

Violet_0

Banned
he's just underpowered for what he asks from the player. Unless you play a deck specifically tailored around his ability and limitations, why would you not just play the green god instead
or the white god, since you already need creatures anyway. But they sort of work together, unlike R/U
I assume they deemed menace to be too powerful on a invincible god card to make him easier to activate

my gods ranking: green > blue = white > red > black

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Putting my grumpy old man hat on for a minute. I actually really dislike how far they have pushed artifacts over the years. They've increased the power level on artifact creatures to the point where they don't seem to have a downside, theyve encroached on enchantment design space to a ridiculous level, and you even get coloured artifacts which seems to defeat the point. It feels like they've been pushed hard at the expense of other bits of the game, and artifact blcks definitely exacerbate that problem. They have to push artifacts so hard to make an artifact block viable, they always break stuff.

Like I said, grumpy old man!
Haven't artifacts been busted actually for years?

Like maybe even decades.

Haven't artifacts been busted actually for years?

Like maybe even decades.

Yeah, but they've usually been busted in exciting new ways, not just straight up printing Artifact Creatures most people wish they could have on-curve in colored mana.

Like, Scrapheap Scrounger is just sort of an egregious little fucker, isn't he?

I actually think people are overrating the green one. Cheap big dudes aren't exactly a rarity in green these days. If midrange creature decks become good again I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up as a one-of, but beefy creatures historically get overrated and I think it's a mistake to get super excited for the green one. I think the blue one is the best by far.

Lucario

glyphkeeper.jpg

Glyph Keeper
3UU
Creature - Sphinx
Flying

Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time in a turn, counter that spell or ability.

Embalm 5UU

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
A probably pretty minor point is that of the monuments, two of them act as direct enablers to let the respective God attack, one of them does indirectly, and two of them don't at all. In fact Rhona's monument seems to make it pretty trivial to make him into an attacker as long as you cast a creature with 2+ power.

I actually think people are overrating the green one. Cheap big dudes aren't exactly a rarity in green these days. If midrange creature decks become good again I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up as a one-of, but beefy creatures historically get overrated and I think it's a mistake to get super excited for the green one. I think the blue one is the best by far.

I mean, I think people are pretty correctly identifying that the blue god's activation requirement is a little bit much. If you're sitting on seven cards late in the game you either don't need him or he isn't going to save you, depending on how you got into that scenario.

He's still got Flying and he's still got card draw, so that's a serious bump over the others just in flat utility on the card, but that activation requirement makes it pretty hard to get enthusiastic about him.

red13th

glyphkeeper.jpg

Glyph Keeper
3UU
Creature - Sphinx
Flying

Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time in a turn, counter that spell or ability.

Embalm 5UU

Nice, pretty resilient and even if you kill it, it comes back. I like it.

Lucario

And here I was, getting excited that running offcolor cycling lands allowed my Radiant Flames to be turned on more often in R/U tower.

Outstanding card.

Violet_0

Banned
glyphkeeper.jpg

Glyph Keeper
3UU
Creature - Sphinx
Flying

Embalm 5UU
only 3 toughness? Dies to any removal
/s
this is like the blue version of reality smasher that comes back to haunt you some more. Blue control is getting some neat toys

sweltering suns is great as well, so much for radiant flames. I wouldn't exactly call this a low-power set anymore

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
only 3 toughness? Dies to any removal
/s
this is like the blue version of reality smasher that comes back to haunt you some more. Blue control is getting some neat toys
Would i rather have beatsticks or an insta win combo?

The one time Tower won a GP was with maindeck KReturns and no way to trigger the 2nd half.

The cycling does alleviate the sorcery speed issue a bit but sorceries are still bad in a vehicle meta.

I know they don't do this, but they need to rewrite the way vehicles work. Functionally granting all of your creatures haste is broken as shit. "Summoning sick" creatures should not be able to crew vehicles.

They could also just made a wrath that hits them

2WW Roadblock

Sorcery

Destroy all tapped creatures and vehicles.

I like Vehicles, and I think they could add a lot to future world building if used correctly. Part of the problem is that they made the same mistakes that they did with Equipment the first time (making them too damn good because they wanted the new thing to be splashy and cool), but functionally granting haste is something that they would just have to tiptoe around going forward. I do agree that the answers need to be better, but as it stands right now Vehicles are an interesting concept that will never leave Kaladesh because the core mechanic is just too strong.

Tunoku

C9NypcwXUAAviQ6.jpg

Sweltering Suns 1RR
Sorcery (Rare)
Sweltering Suns deals 3 damage to each creature.
Cycling 3

Red's getting all the goodies :)

This one set doesn't make up for how they've been treating my favorite color recently, but I'm very excited about Amonkhet now.

EDIT: I like how you can cycle this and then flash it back with Dwellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom