• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, what would a Mythic Vanilla even look like. I remember Isamaru being a thing, but how far would you go to make a Mythic with no abilities? Would it just be another 1cc 2/2 only now not Legendary?

There are a few options. Note that I'm not trying to balance any of these examples at all and am just throwing out numbers at semi-random. The most boring option is just something like you're thinking: a 12/12 for 6 or 3/3 for 1 (gotta improve with the times) or some nonsense. This seems angle seems unlikely for reasons such as balance and not being exciting to anyone except the most hardcore of Timmys.

Another option is very high power but very low toughness. 12/1 for 3 or something. Awkward to use but somewhat interesting and powerful. Also has the potential to work for stuff caring about power.

You can take that even further with zero or negative toughness. 20/-1 for 5 or whatever. On the one hand, this is a more complicated and potentially interesting card that doesn't just work straight out of the box. On the other hand, this kind of thing likely scans quite badly to many players, would likely cause confusion, and could break things caring about power.

Yeef

There are a few options. Note that I'm not trying to balance any of these examples at all and am just throwing out numbers at semi-random. The most boring option is just something like you're thinking: a 12/12 for 6 or 3/3 for 1 (gotta improve with the times) or some nonsense. This seems angle seems unlikely for reasons such as balance and not being exciting to anyone except the most hardcore of Timmys.

Another option is very high power but very low toughness. 12/1 for 3 or something. Awkward to use but somewhat interesting and powerful. Also has the potential to work for stuff caring about power.

You can take that even further with zero or negative toughness. 20/-1 for 5 or whatever. On the one hand, this is a more complicated and potentially interesting card that doesn't just work straight out of the box. On the other hand, this kind of thing likely scans quite badly to many players, would likely cause confusion, and could break things caring about power.
There's another angle, which is very set specific. If cards in the set care about a specific thing (like creature type or cmc or whatever), you could make a mythic vanilla have all of those properties in addition to being undercosted and/or legendary. You could also do something that breaks convention, like colored artifacts once did before Transguild Courier and Alara block. The last way you could go is just from a flavor perspective. Imagine if Gideon loses his spark and they just print him as a legendary 5/5 soldier for 3 or something.

Wulfric

The Amonkhet survey is up. This means we can now pull the HD card images again. This guy on Reddit made a JSON script but I'm not sure how to use it.

If anyone wants to grab the files, now would be a good time to do it.

Repgnar

Ended up buying a booster box for Amonkhet today. Only cards I had prior were from the pre-release. Ended up getting Gideon of the Trials, Liliana, Death's Majesty, Nissa, and Austere Command. Got a few other value rares (like glorybringer) but those 4 made me pretty hype. FLGS has a sealed Amonkhet thing going on tonight so I plan on going to that as well.

There's another angle, which is very set specific. If cards in the set care about a specific thing (like creature type or cmc or whatever), you could make a mythic vanilla have all of those properties in addition to being undercosted and/or legendary. You could also do something that breaks convention, like colored artifacts once did before Transguild Courier and Alara block. The last way you could go is just from a flavor perspective. Imagine if Gideon loses his spark and they just print him as a legendary 5/5 soldier for 3 or something.

I mean, sure. They could also do the lazy thing and make it a situation where other cards cared about it so the card itself can lack rules text even though it's specifically used for something. For a recent example, think how the meld text was only on one of the two cards in the pair.

Tunoku

Had fun at FNM today. Did two drafts. First deck was a UW control deck with 4 counterspells, pull from tomorrow, two tappers, and APPROACH FROM THE SECOND SUN BABY WOO. It was glorious, went 3-0. (got extremely lucky) Second draft was a trainwreck. I started with the blue clone and some green cards, but somehow green was drier than blue despite my neighbors both being in blue as well. I ended uo not getting a single cycling fatty, which was super frustrating. I won a couple of games with help from Curator of Mysteries and the clone, but it just didn't have a proper late game plan.

I also sleeved up U/R emerge, which I'm pretty excited for. I just love EDF.

What's this, is Standard saved?
In one month

But seriously, I think Standard will be alright now.

In one month

But seriously, I think Standard will be alright now.
I mean, I'm still of the mindset that Gideon Ally of Zendikar needs to be axed(It singlehandedly has defined the 4 Drop slot since it came in/it is a pain in the ass with Gideon of the Trial's Emblem), but that's just me, and otherwise Standard looks pretty good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean, I'm still of the mindset that Gideon Ally of Zendikar needs to be axed(It singlehandedly has defined the 4 Drop slot since it came in/it is a pain in the ass with Gideon of the Trial's Emblem), but that's just me, and otherwise Standard looks pretty good.
It only took a year and a half of trash fire standards

noquarter

So playing in a sealed tonight, might be forcing a deck, but we will see.

Opened up Vizier of Menagerie as the promo, two sweltering suns and Hazoret. Figured GR should be good. Support isn't that great, but don't want to splash. Hope it works.

Hey guys, I've been playing hearthstone heavily for the past few years, haven't played magic in over 2 decades (when portal was first released, lol) but lately i've been thinking about dipping into magic a little bit. few questions.

my interest is mainly in being able to go out to local tourneys/meetups i see on FB all over, HS has a meeting in my city once a month or so but magic has them all the time. Coming from HS i know constructed can be rough and will take some time to get into, but i often see draft or something advertised for like $16 or some similar entry amount, does that kind of work like arena from hearthstone? I really enjoy deckbuilding and think i'd enjoy that format of play much more than anything else at first, since i'm sure in regular tourneys and stuff everyone has tons of cards and top tier decks, i think i'd get into it a lot faster making my own like that with everyone having the same limitations.

what are some good tutorial youtube channels for catching up on the game? obv tons is diff from when i played as a kid lol. but i know in games like this tutorials can get outdated fast so i'm wondering if any channels have particularly good views for learning the mechanics and rules and such so i can get up to speed.

kirblar

Yeah, Draft is like HS Arena. You take a card, pass the pack, then repeat. Sealed Deck is the best intro, though, it's just 6 bosters straight up, no card picking. Think of it like "Chopped".

y2dvd

Doing sealed tonight. My lgs used the remaining prerelease packs. Got a stamped green God and a Gideon. Sweet.

Edifice of Authority is busted in limited. Being able to arrest until your next turn and being a cheap activation cost means I'm gonna high pick this in draft.

Doing sealed tonight. My lgs used the remaining prerelease packs. Got a stamped green God and a Gideon. Sweet.

Edifice of Authority is busted in limited. Being able to arrest until your next turn and being a cheap activation cost means I'm gonna high pick this in draft.

It's the best uncommon by a mile, and better than a lot of rares.

Santiako

Later today is the first big standard tournament (will be streamed on twitch.tv/scgtour) with Patrick and Cedric commenting and 2 days between ban and start, so that should be fun.

We knew that cipher had less design space than they expected in Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze, but I didn't realize it was this bad.
straxaerioeragous asked: Mark. My birthday was on the 21st and I've been trying everyday for my trivia. Anything on the mimeoplasm, the dimir, the golgari, or at the very least any random trivia?

We literally ran out of mechanics that worked with Cipher so we made less cards with it than originally planned.

Happy Belated Birthday! (Sorry for the delay.)

I'm still confused how WoTC are pinning the issues with Standard down to the lack of core sets.

Who says they are? Nobody at WotC has ever said this publicly, it's just a thing fans talk about all the time (presumably in between trying to make "vanilla matters" themes work.)

A lot of people underestimate how popular Eldritch Moon draft was with the pros. I read a few of them saying it was as like top 5.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Only strengthens the idea that the order-swap on drafting was a good idea though!

I think the kickback when Maro finally gets his way and makes a mythic vanilla creature should show them it's a dead end. Why he's determined to do that is beyond me.

See, this is a perfect example of this bizarre projection thing people do with Rosewater. Way back in 2013 someone asked him if it was possible to make a mythic vanilla and he said one was already in a future design file. Ever since then people have been bombarding his tumblr with questions about it all the time, insisting on status updates and begging him not to take it out of the set. The read that this is him being "determined" to do it out of some perverse desire to make something dumb work, when there's no indication he even designed the card, is really just so bizarre.

Anyway, it's gonna be in Ixalan so we'll see what all the fuss is then. I'm still betting on the 2/99 or equivalent.

Maledict

Who says they are? Nobody at WotC has ever said this publicly, it's just a thing fans talk about all the time (presumably in between trying to make "vanilla matters" themes work.)

Yeah, that's a fair point. Only strengthens the idea that the order-swap on drafting was a good idea though!

See, this is a perfect example of this bizarre projection thing people do with Rosewater. Way back in 2013 someone asked him if it was possible to make a mythic vanilla and he said one was already in a future design file. Ever since then people have been bombarding his tumblr with questions about it all the time, insisting on status updates and begging him not to take it out of the set. The read that this is him being "determined" to do it out of some perverse desire to make something dumb work, when there's no indication he even designed the card, is really just so bizarre.

Anyway, it's gonna be in Ixalan so we'll see what all the fuss is then. I'm still betting on the 2/99 or equivalent.

I don't read his tumblr at all. He's mentioned it in *numerous* podcasts over the last two years, and has specifically said he's determined to do it. I wasn't making that up, those are the words he used.

Daedardus

Yesterday was such a bittersweet day. Decided to buy a Amonkhet, got a very nice life counter, the full art lands and the token packs are very nice additions. Opened absolutely nothing of value, so that's more than $25 just waited on cardboard. Did get to test out multiplayer with MK8D and had a blast with it. In a surprise, I got more money back from an instance than I would have expected, and decided to invest in my two Modern decks. Now my Jeskai Control is one Snapcaster off from completion.

On the way driving home some car turned unexpectedly in front of us and we had no way to brake in time. We hit it full frontal at at least 25 mph. Everyone turned out to be pretty OK, so we were all very lucky. Car's total loss though and I had the scare of my life. If we started braking half a second later we would probably lying in the hospital with serious head injuries.

Yesterday was such a bittersweet day. Decided to buy a Amonkhet, got a very nice life counter, the full art lands and the token packs are very nice additions. Opened absolutely nothing of value, so that's more than $25 just waited on cardboard. Did get to test out multiplayer with MK8D and had a blast with it. In a surprise, I got more money back from an instance than I would have expected, and decided to invest in my two Modern decks. Now my Jeskai Control is one Snapcaster off from completion.

On the way driving home some car turned unexpectedly in front of us and we had no way to brake in time. We hit it full frontal at at least 25 mph. Everyone turned out to be pretty OK, so we were all very lucky. Car's total loss though and I had the scare of my life. If we started braking half a second later we would probably lying in the hospital with serious head injuries.

Glad to hear everyone's ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom