• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
God, I can't see Mardu Vehicles anymore. Someone save us.
Wait for the pt before panicking.

Though we really should still have reflector mage and not Gideon. The wrong card was banned. Might have also forced wotc not be idiots and ban copycat sooner.

Wait for the pt before panicking.

Though we really should still have reflector mage and not Gideon. The wrong card was banned. Might have also forced wotc not be idiots and ban copycat sooner.
I've tried copycat in a UW tempo shell before the bannings. It was completely busted, Ref Mage was the correct ban.

No Coco should have gone and that's obvious

I mean, either one works. I just err in favor of banning Reflector Mage because it's a card that seems to have been printed for Magic's equivalent of griefers, and I don't know why they keep making these things.

I just realized I can play this in Narset superfriends.
38.jpg
and I want one of these anyways for when I put as foretold into Zur.

OnPoint

I would say I refuse to discuss further bannings until the pro tour happens, but I'll probably be blown out of the sky by a Heart piloted by Beefslab. So who knows lol

ironmang

Ended up winning a small-medium sized sealed pptq today. GBu in the swiss and BW for the draft. Turns out Dusk into Dawn getting 5 creatures into replay 3 Gust Walkers on an empty board is gud.

Ended up winning a small-medium sized sealed pptq today. GBu in the swiss and BW for the draft. Turns out Dusk into Dawn getting 5 creatures into replay 3 Gust Walkers on an empty board is gud.

Congrats!

I really like the look of this set for limited. Looking forward to getting into some drafts / whatever with some people at work :)

kirblar

Marvel won the MTGO PTQ... 2-4 were all Mardu, but rest of the field looked ok.

If they do need a ban, it needs to be Heart, since we get rid of Gideon soon anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Marvel won the MTGO PTQ... 2-4 were all Mardu, but rest of the field looked ok.

If they do need a ban, it needs to be Heart, since we get rid of Gideon soon anyway.
Nah. They don't need more bans.

OnPoint

I will honestly be surprised if we see another Standard banning in this cycle. I don't think we'll see one for another 4-5 years after this crap.

Why does an increase in artifact hate get thrown around so much as an argument against against mardu vehicles?
There's 10 to 12 targets in the deck total, 4 of which come back from the graveyard, 2 to 4 of which you never actually get to kill and just 4 cards in Heart of Kiran that you're happy to destroy.

Postboard the deck transform in a way drawing artifact hate can straight lose you the game while they deploy one PW after the other.

traveler

Not Wario
They were incredibly reluctant to even go forward with the cat ban, even when public support for a ban was at an all time high. (although I guess their terrible social media policies cloud that somewhat?) I can't imagine they'll ban Gideon unless the PT has 5+ Mardu Vehicles in the Top 8. They'll just ride out the rest of his rotation till fall rather than eat the PR hit of having to make ANOTHER banning.

Weirdly enough, I think if there hadn't been so much pressure to get the cat banned this past week that we actually got a PT with Copycat and Mardu dueling again, there would have been a better shot of getting Gideon banned. Now I have to imagine they'll want to minimize the count of the total number of different ban announcements they had to issue this year.

I don't know the specific article / reference (brief search didn't turn it up), but I thought I remember some Richard Garfield interview where he thought that they should be making cards worthy of being banned, otherwise they weren't trying hard enough. Or something to that effect.

I don't think this scenario is exactly what he had in mind, of course - assuming he even ever said that, lol.

Anyway, I liked the look of that Mono-Black Aggro deck this weekend. I am curious to see if we see any serious iterations on it...

Violet_0

Banned
that mono black deck looks way too randomly put together to become a serious contender, imo. It's like a weird color-shifted version of RDW with a recursion gimmik

Santiako

I fell asleep before the top 8 and I see it was really boring with 5 mardu vehicles there. Expected, since it was the top non copycat deck before the banning, but still boring.

Violet_0

Banned
That's fair and likely :) I just like that Bird and black aggro in general lol

I just had a match against that deck, and I gotta say it feels quite janky, heh. It loses ground fast to mid-range

say, where can you see how the SCG players/decks performened, minus the drafting part?

DrArchon

I will honestly be surprised if we see another Standard banning in this cycle. I don't think we'll see one for another 4-5 years after this crap.

Judging by how much WotC tried their hardest to avoid banning Felidar Guardian, I'd say you're right. They're probably thinking "Please for the love of God don't ask us to ban anything else!" It's already pretty embarrassing that they had to ban as many cards as they did, I can't imagine how they'd feel if they ended up banning 5-6 cards from standard.

I don't know the specific article / reference (brief search didn't turn it up), but I thought I remember some Richard Garfield interview where he thought that they should be making cards worthy of being banned, otherwise they weren't trying hard enough. Or something to that effect.

I don't think this scenario is exactly what he had in mind, of course - assuming he even ever said that, lol.

I don't recall him saying that in particular, but his view on the Power Nine was that they were important in driving early interest in the game.

What's up with this one?

MxqN7BQ.png

I mean, it's the same basic thing that happens whenever some concept gets a bit of attention. Stuff starts to get bought out regardless of if it's actually functional or not. And then the price will slowly come back down some but not all the way. tl;dr The singles market remains awful.

I don't think they'll actually ban Heart unless things are truly dire (ie, 90% Mardu Vehicles in Top 8's), but I'd be tickled pink if they did.

Tunoku

I think I want to make a Hapatra deck, but I have no idea where to start. Also, my budget is pretty constrained. Any tips? I don't want to make some broken highlander list or whatever.

y2dvd

It makes sense why Mardu would dominate first week. It was top 2 before the ban. Most people already had the cards for the deck. We'll see if it continues to dominate or not.

I like the bant direction for aether marvelwork. I did try it before the new set but Temur was stronger. Cast Out may push Bant over the top now.

DrArchon

I think I want to make a Hapatra deck, but I have no idea where to start. Also, my budget is pretty constrained. Any tips? I don't want to make some broken highlander list or whatever.

I'd look for decent creatures with Wither and Infect. Most of those are pretty cheap from what I've seen. Then anything with Proliferate (probably less cheap). Shadowmoor block and New Phyrexia should be were you're getting most of your creatures I'd imagine.

I'd look for decent creatures with Wither and Infect. Most of those are pretty cheap from what I've seen. Then anything with Proliferate (probably less cheap). Shadowmoor block and New Phyrexia should be were you're getting most of your creatures I'd imagine.

Contagion Engine seems like a must, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom