• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
fuck no that's Karn
giphy.gif

The ratcatcher is a lot of fun because in multiplayer games you can play politics with the rat tokens. Hopefully that's their design direction for this Commander set, rather than just blanket "Really Good in Multiplayer Only" type cards like the Undaunted ones or whatever.

OnPoint

It's historically like a six to eight dollar card. If you had asked me to guess without looking whether it needed a reprint I would've said no. I don't think this one is stubbornness so much as it just not being on people's radar.
I don't think any utility uncommon like this should be that much. I get that it's a card that we haven't seen since Invasion (or the original Commander) but it's irritating to pay that much for something so blah.

Crocodile

A shame they started with the Cat deck, the one I'm least interested in, but I do see a few potential cards for my Artifact Cube.

I get the sense there are no new changelings in these decks. That disappoints me :(

I also hope you're right Familienoberhauptvogel and these new commanders aren't foil. I hated that about the last Commander set.

Pretty sure they changed that back after feedback from Commander 2016.

None in the leak from dragons where foiled.

That would be ideal.

Thoughts on Descendant's Path? It's gotta be in a deck with Green, right? The card spiked last Feb and has returned to a more sane price.

I assume if it's not in a deck, it jumps again. But... I think it HAS to be in one; cat deck would be my guess.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Avacyn+Restored/Descendants+Path#paper

That would be ideal.

Thoughts on Descendant's Path? It's gotta be in a deck with Green, right? The card spiked last Feb and has returned to a more sane price.

I assume if it's not in a deck, it jumps again. But... I think it HAS to be in one; cat deck would be my guess.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Avacyn+Restored/Descendants+Path#paper

Maybe Cats, though honestly it's more value in Dragons since it's putting things into play that are actually hard to cast. Cats cards are mostly cheap enough that it's better off with mana acceleration and card draw, especially since it's in G/W rather than 5-color.

IDs are sort of an unavoidable consequence of having draws be a possibility in the format, which in turn is an unavoidable consequence of having a game design that does not reliably ensure a game's conclusion in or under a given amount of time.

It sucks, and it's absolutely terrible for coverage/"esport" potential, but it's just sort of the reality of the game.

Would you guys rather have the Magic equivalent of the Disgrace of Gijón?
I'd prefer Wizards to combat instead of giving up on the issue. I don't know that particular example but FIFA tries to change rules where possible.

For instance couldn't wizard hide the standings for the last couple rounds and cut down on time between rounds so people simply don't have the time or necessary information to run the numbers to collude? Heck rather extreme but having to play out intentional draws gotta be painful and if it happens in a feature match people could at least be properly shamed.

It's not like this issue starts and ends with pro play. It's happening in as casual events as FNM Draft.
lol did you watch him play?

that dude was on point every game.

He deserves all the praise he gets
He played very well and more than earned the GP win what he didn't earn was being called undefeated because he chose not to play for 2 rounds.

They could stop playing Swiss and play double elim instead.

It's literally the only feasible option if you want to prevent draws. You put together a tournament structure that forces you to play. The trouble of course is that it forces unintentional draws to play out, which means it's logistically impossible unless you stop playing physical Magic and have players sit down behind MODO.

I don't necessarily disagree but there's a dishonesty to disregard mutliple rounds, Steven locke didn't have any byes which would have made his 13-0 run a 15-0 run comparatively for a pro for instance.
They could stop playing Swiss and play double elim instead.

It's literally the only feasible option if you want to prevent draws. You put together a tournament structure that forces you to play. The trouble of course is that it forces unintentional draws to play out, which means it's logistically impossible unless you stop playing physical Magic and have players sit down behind MODO.
I was gonna say Hearthstone manages without but they both have a much more limited decksize and an absolute turn limit. I think their rounds are untimed as well in the swiss.

Hearthstone also has a generally more simplistic design that helps to ensure that scenarios where games are stalling out for completely legitimate reasons (ie, control strategies coming online) aren't really a common issue.

But there is a winner because the game mechanics do force one.
Yes up till the coming expansion where warrior gets a card that allows them to extend their deck infinitely just like is possible in magic. For the majority of games in Magic events decking is a game mechanic forcing a winner just the same people would have to maindeck cards stopping decking to be able to draw.

I'm not sure who wins if the game reaches the maximum turn counter or whether the game is a draw and they have to regame.

Hearthstone making great strides in making sure control players can now also get beaten up in the digital parking lot, too.

I would be all for switching to a double-elimination tournament structure, though I've got a feeling the pros would have an absolute hissy fit since it would reduce their ability to maintain the clubhouse.

And, frankly, I'm not sure if it's worth breaking down the clubhouse. There's not really that much money in pro Magic. There aren't that many people beating down the door trying to get in. If the pros decide it's simply too irresponsible to keep making the trek due to format changes, I'm not sure you even get anyone stepping up to replace them at this point.

kirblar

(psst psst most tournaments like PPTQs/PTQs/GPTs/etc are effectively double elimination where you need a gigantic amount of luck to T8 w/ X-2!)

OnPoint

aren't you already pretty fucked because of tiebreakers after an early loss?
Yeah early losses from what I understand are the worst losses you can have

I lost round 2 and 4, so definitely not ideal. Would have hurt me deep in the tourney if I got there. Then I lost round 7 to crash out entirely so it didn't matter haha

Wulfric

DGortu8XYAAq5xm.png

A balanced Stoneforge Mystic

Ooh, I like this one. Goes really well with Kemba. Honestly, you could mash this deck together with the 2015 Nahiri deck and it would be really good.

It's cool to see Victor Adame getting more commissions. He is definitely one of the best new artists WotC has hired lately.

Ashodin

Alright so I probably want to build GW Equipment with Nazahn. So excited!

Even though he's from Bant (looks like, anyway) something about it makes me feel like Mirrodin again. Probably the Leonin.

I want the Cat deck and the Dragon deck now.

Alright so I probably want to build GW Equipment with Nazahn. So excited!

Even though he's from Bant (looks like, anyway) something about it makes me feel like Mirrodin again. Probably the Leonin.

I want the Cat deck and the Dragon deck now.
It's so weird that there's 3 Leonin planes nowadays. Now it begs the question whether Mirrodin Leonin are from Alara or Theros.

There needs to be a special exception to the Color Identity rule to let Catmanders play Mirri the Cursed so that they can have three copies of Mirri in play simultaneously.

Repgnar

What's the availability of these decks usually? I know some of the previous decks have skyrocketed in price. Any reason to try and pick these up around release rather than waiting?

hermit7

What's the availability of these decks usually? I know some of the previous decks have skyrocketed in price. Any reason to try and pick these up around release rather than waiting?

Availability is fine. It is hard to gauge the decks as we only know the cat deck and the legends from the dragon deck.

Wait until spoilers are up until you decide on the deck you want to pick up. If you're going to get them all may as well preorder them. A lot of places are running promos where they are all ~100

I was going to say availability is pretty good, but apparently everything from 2016 is already wicked expensive so don't sleep on it more than the first couple months, I guess.

EDIT: Reeeeeally regretting not buying an Atraxa deck now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom