• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Dovin Baan just needs some cards that trigger off Lifegain (or card draw) to make him more synergistic. Or stuff that says "when a creature your opponent controls gets targeted".

Tunoku

I want fanart that depicts a Planeswalker party with Arlinn, Dovin, Kiora, and Samut sitting in a corner being depressed together.

Ashodin

This will be my Standard Showdown build this week (Last week, Construct Tribal went 3-0.)

I call it, Self Driving Mechs!

6Yvg0sD.gif

Santiako

Dovin Baan has the dubious record of making it to the pro tour finals, use his ultimate and even after that still manage to be completely useless.

Supast4r

Dovin Baan just needs some cards that trigger off Lifegain (or card draw) to make him more synergistic. Or stuff that says "when a creature your opponent controls gets targeted".

Not really. Dovin Baan is just a terrible card. My theory is that he was supposed to be a three drop and they changed him last minute in development. 4 drop planeswalkers usually have game winning ults. His ult is more akin to a three drop planeswalker.

Not really. Dovin Baan is just a terrible card. My theory is that he was supposed to be a three drop and they changed him last minute in development. 4 drop planeswalkers usually have game winning ults. His ult is more akin to a three drop planeswalker.

He does seem relatively consistent with the other recent 3-drop walkers. He's actually fairly similar to Last Hope, albeit generally worse, and at 3 CMC he would have socketed in more or less neatly between her and Gideon of the Trials.

Lika Kiora before him, he needs time to simmer in the format. Be patient.
I'm patiently awaiting acknowledgement that Dovin Baan is the worst PW since Tibalt.
Dovin Baan has the dubious record of making it to the pro tour finals, use his ultimate and even after that still manage to be completely useless.
best PT moment I've seen since origins. Yasooka effectively shrugging at it.

Samut the Tested might take that cake.
I'm counting worth in EDH also why Living Guildpact didn't make the list for being able to deal with nonland permanents temporarily.
Aren't they basically flooding the game with shitty planeswalkers through intro decks or whatever? I still don't think I've seen any of those non-booster planeswalkers in person.
they don't count. Though the last Bolas and Gideon are much better than Dovin Baan

Aren't they basically flooding the game with shitty planeswalkers through intro decks or whatever? I still don't think I've seen any of those non-booster planeswalkers in person.

Most people don't even really acknowledge those cards exist, to be honest. Like, yes, they are technically allowed to be played, but people just prefer to pretend like they're silver-border cards so that they don't have to smell 'em.

Ashodin

Gideon, Martial Paragon is a lot better than you think yeah. His cost being 4W and his +2 is no slouch. He's a great play second main phase.

All I've got to say about Samut is there had better be some card in Hour or Ixalan that would have been legit completely busted if he didn't suck as bad as he does. My suspicion, though, is he's just another victim in the continuing saga of "Double Strike is fundamentally ridiculous to balance because you have to treat every case as exponential."

Tunoku

Another element is definitely measuring every Planeswalker in the format with to Torch of Defiance, The Last Hope, and Ally of Zendikar. But yeah, card's bad even without those Planeswalkers to compare it to.

Couple interesting things from Blogatog today. First:

We had market Research a few years ago that showed that of all Magic players playing on every platform, including digital, 38% of them were female. Recent market Research (which didn’t factor in digital as highly) has the number more in the mid-twenties.

It's interesting but not at all surprising that both more competitive environments and environments where you deal with more actual strangers who play Magic both do worse with women than playing on a computer.

raistlin037 asked: You do know, that until somebody at WotC explicitly says it, all of us players are going to go wild speculating about Reserved List cards being in Masters 25...

There are no Reserved List cards in either of the two announced upcoming Masters sets.

This is a weirdly specific answer....

blast-seeker asked: Is the reserves list ever open to any changes?

Not currently.

As is this....

I'd be interested in how those numbers change over time. I know when OG Innistrad came out there were women all over the (game) shop where I played, but recent events have been pretty sparse, but with far more kids than before.

That's complicated by the fact I've moved in between, though (from U-District in Seattle to Redmond), so I have no clue if it's even slightly reflective of the overall demographic shift.

That's some very specific Denial, MaRo. Very specific...

Oh wow

A +1 on a 4 mana Planeswalker that does nothing without a creature

And a -2 that deals 2 damage.
Like, at least Tamiyo(my personal pet Planeswalker card) can target your Opponent's creatures and still get value. Samut can't. She's awful in mainphase 1 and 2(it doesn't last past end of turn, so the defensive value isn't there) and -2 for a Electrolyze minus the cycle is not worth it.

Samut, the Overtested is a much more accurate name

This is a weirdly specific answer....

As is this....

The bottom three packs of every box of Unstable will contain only black-bordered masterpiece Power, dual lands, and APAC basics.

If no one ever opens those packs they will be recalled and destroyed, and no one will ever know what they missed out on.

kirblar

It's interesting but not at all surprising that both more competitive environments and environments where you deal with more actual strangers who play Magic both do worse with women than playing on a computer.
It's not surprising at all that the mobile gaming demo information was warping the stats. It's not something most people consider actually "playing the game", and that demo is majority-female w/ gaming overall.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
changethecomic asked: What are we likely to see first, a 5-colour planeswalker or a 4-colour planeswalker?

I’ll just say I know the answer. : )

Boy this really seems like Urza is back at the first WUBRG walker.

Success! Though, at the cost of going through practically every box I have containing Magic cards. I finally found my copy of Decree of Silence. I knew I had that somewhere. I picked it up on a whim for Commander but never got around to putting it into a deck. Now I know it will get use.

bigkrev

Urza is WUBR ya dunces

No, he's plain UG- "Very Simic"

It totally would make sense for a 5 color walker to show up in Unscrewed. My guess is it's Richard Garfield? Considering he got a Legend card in Unhinged, having "Richard Garfield, Ascended" or something would be funny.

OnPoint

No, he's plain UG- "Very Simic"

It totally would make sense for a 5 color walker to show up in Unscrewed. My guess is it's Richard Garfield? Considering he got a Legend card in Unhinged, having "Richard Garfield, Ascended" or something would be funny.
Didn't he say they don't do vanity cards anymore?

A WUBRG walker in Unstable would just ruin the novelty of when they print a real one.

I think they go the safe route. Print a joke Gatewatch cycle.
- A Gideon who only turns into a creature
- A Jace with seven abilities and no room for art
- Liliana of the Veil
- A Chandra that doesn't deal damage
- Nissa, with Garruk art because they used up all the Nissa art

Santiako

We're already at the "what colours Urza is" stage of the thread? That was much faster than usual. This spoiler season is being kinda boring I guess.

Ashodin

A WUBRG walker in Unstable would just ruin the novelty of when they print a real one.

I think they go the safe route. Print a joke Gatewatch cycle.
- A Gideon who only turns into a creature
- A Jace with seven abilities and no room for art
- Liliana of the Veil
- A Chandra that doesn't deal damage
- Nissa, with Garruk art because they used up all the Nissa art

Why not just WUBRG as "The Gatewatch" all on one card?

Zocano

We're already at the "what colours Urza is" stage of the thread? That was much faster than usual. This spoiler season is being kinda boring I guess.

Small set trickling spoilers with the next upcoming set already having massive leaks? Ya, it's pretty slow going.

I do wonder how a 5c Walker would work

Why not just WUBRG as "The Gatewatch" all on one card?

That also could be a black-bordered card.

The other thing is, I don't think there is any impressive ultimate a WUBRG planeswalker could have other than "you win the game" or "target player loses the game". Unless you make an ability with five parts that would take up a third of the card just to print.

That also could be a black-bordered card.

The other thing is, I don't think there is any impressive ultimate a WUBRG planeswalker could have other than "you win the game" or "target player loses the game". Unless you make an ability with five parts that would take up a third of the card just to print.

I mean, it doesn't have to have an ultimate. I think we're starting to see the design space open up more in terms of walkers not really having (at least, a conventional) ultimate, which is good since the ultimate is wasted text on like 75% of them in actual play.

Zocano

Same way 5c cards work in general: you stat them like an 8-9 mana 1/2 color card and let them do any old random garbage you want.

Ya I suppose

I suppose my actual question would be what does a genuine attempt at 5c design space look like because conflux was kinda just powered up stuff that had restrictive mana (like you said).

There are plenty of reasonable ways for Urza to come back. Everyone keeps saying he's dead but he technically isn't. Urza, Gerard, Karn, and The Weatherlight are all fused. They actually reference it in one of the Scars cards that has Karn on it, so its totally still uncontradicted canon. Heck, his eyes are technically somewhere in Karn. Easy avenue would be to bring Urza back when Karn is destroyed, Urza's ghost comes out. Especially if something totally not obvious like Raven Man being Yawgmoth were to happen.

Well, that last part is exactly why it would be a good silver-bordered gag, heh.

There are plenty of reasonable ways for Urza to come back.

Reasonable ones, no. For all that people bitch about Jace with misused terms like "Mary Sue," Urza is actually a ludicrously overpowered, self-insert-y type character who's written as always being right about everything despite constantly doing awful shit and who warped the entire game's storyline around himself for years.

OnPoint

For a decades-long dead guy, Urza sure gets a lot of play around these parts.

RIP in peace dead buddy. Hope you stay that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom