• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

In multiplayer I think werewolves needs a lot more immerwolf effects and/or cards that care about transforming either way, like Huntmaster, to really be viable. It seems like it'd be really hard to keep them on the wolf side with so many chances for people to cast multiple spells in a turn.

DrArchon

Best werewolf commander is Ruric Thar, The Unbowed . Doesn't stop people from flashing in multiple creatures and flipping your wolves, but he's a nice deterrent for anyone that gets too spell happy.

Real problem though is that 99% of werewolves are 100% better as wolves than as humans. There's a reason only Huntmaster saw any play, because no matter how many times he flipped, you got value.

Wulfric

Ah shit... *pulls out wallet*

Looks like we have another figure line coming up... probably hear more at Hascon.

From this Japanese company who's actual website doesn't seem to work: https://www.facebook.com/Prime1Studio/

jf49sl5.jpg

Wulfric

Uh just poked around their website most of their stuff is in the SIX FIGURE (yen) range

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/?manufacturer=prime+1+studio

Lmao, even Blizzard statues are cheaper. But we haven't recieved statues of this quality before so I'm curious as to what the final price will be.

I can see a price of $400-500 US easily. The only issue I see is that Magic collectors are cheap when it comes to things that aren't actual cards or paintings.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seems like Sandwurm Convergence and a Chaos Maw at the same time is good in my limited deck
KuGsj.gif

Finance/Smart people- when should I buy Walking Ballista for long-term Modern usage?

I'm asking myself the same question. I want the card for Eldrazi Tron.

I was lucky to open a Liliana The Last Hope and could trade for two Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet when I needed them for Jund so I didn't need to pay for them.

Looking at mtggoldfish.com, the price has been pretty flat for awhile, and I don't see it dropping any time soon considering how bad ass the card is.

I did manage to get a Grim Flayer and Walking Ballista for $15 (together, not each) during my stores 4th of July sale, so I only need three more.

Speaking of cuts from EDH decks, could anyone give me some suggestions on what I should cut from my Skullbriar +1/+1 counter tribal deck? I'm considering adding in Rishkar's Expertise over Shamanic Revelation, but I also want to fit in Mazirek, Verdurous Gearhulk, and Nevinyrral's Disk and I don't know what to cut.

Tapped Out Link: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/skullbriar-makes-blue-mages-jealous/

Instant (6)
1x Beast Within
1x Golgari Charm
1x Inspiring Call
1x Krosan Grip
1x Putrefy
1x Solidarity of Heroes

Sorcery (4)
1x Increasing Savagery
1x Kodama's Reach
1x Maelstrom Pulse
1x Shamanic Revelation

Enchantment (6)
1x Deathreap Ritual
1x Death's Presence
1x Evolutionary Escalation
1x Grave Betrayal
1x Hardened Scales
1x Ordeal of Nylea

Artifact (10)
1x Bow of Nylea
1x Contagion Engine
1x Golgari Keyrune
1x Golgari Signet
1x Loxodon Warhammer
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Sol Ring
1x Swiftfoot Boots
1x Sword of Vengeance
1x Whip of Erebos

Creature (35)
1x Arbor Colossus
1x Archfiend of Depravity
1x Avatar of the Resolute
1x Bane of Progress
1x Bramblewood Paragon
1x Champion of Lambholt
1x Corpsejack Menace
1x Cytoplast Root-Kin
1x Dark Impostor
1x Fertilid
1x Forgotten Ancient
1x Gyre Sage
1x Hangarback Walker
1x Heroes' Bane
1x Jugan, the Rising Star
1x Kalonian Hydra
1x Managorger Hydra
1x Mer-Ek Nightblade
1x Mycoloth
1x Necropolis Regent
1x Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
1x Primeval Protector
1x Protean Hydra
1x Renegade Krasis
1x Reyhan, Last of the Abzan
1x Rishkar, Peema Renegade
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x Scute Mob
1x Soul of Innistrad
1x Spike Weaver
1x Spiritmonger
1x Varolz, the Scar-Striped
1x Vulturous Zombie
1x Winding Constrictor
1x Yahenni, Undying Partisan

Land (38)
1x Command Tower
16x Forest
1x Golgari Rot Farm
1x Grim Backwoods
1x High Market
1x Hissing Quagmire
1x Jungle Hollow
1x Llanowar Reborn
1x Opal Palace
1x Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1x Rogue's Passage
10x Swamp
1x Temple of Malady
1x Woodland Cemetery

Expensive spell wincon: Keep Rise from the Grave because you can rebound it.

Spot Removal: I'd cut Reality Shift

Control Magic: I'd cut Evangelize. Most decks at most points will have a badish creature to give you, and while it can take over the game long term, you likely have more important things to be doing.

Draw: Keep Fact or Fiction, and probably cut the other two.

Wrath: Keep Austere Command and Hour of Revelation, unless you have a way of casting Restore Balance on a moment's notice.

Counters: Cut Warping Wail. Not sure after that.

Tutors: No idea.

Utility: Might want to consider Miraculous Recovery over Resurrection for that sweet sweet instant speed. Rest in Peace and Capsize seem like definite keeps.
thx helpful advice I went with similar cuts and was undecided on the control magic so far. I do run As Foretold for restore balance and ancestral visions.
Speaking of cuts from EDH decks, could anyone give me some suggestions on what I should cut from my Skullbriar +1/+1 counter tribal deck? I'm considering adding in Rishkar's Expertise over Shamanic Revelation, but I also want to fit in Mazirek, Verdurous Gearhulk, and Nevinyrral's Disk and I don't know what to cut.

Tapped Out Link: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/skullbriar-makes-blue-mages-jealous/
No monstrous onslaught?
I'd cut a bunch of top end creatures 36 is a ton of creatures and ideally your commander would finish the job.

Yeef

It doesn't feel build-around enough. It's just a powerful creature. It also feels a bit awkward, because the original Will-o-the-wisps is a defensive creature and this one is super-aggressive.

Maybe make it a 1/2 with a lure ability?

Will-o-the-Forest BG
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Flying, Deathtouch
B: Regenerate ~.
When ~ attacks, you may pay 1BG. If you do target creature defending player controls gains reach and must block ~ this turn if able.
1/2

red13th

High res MM17 scans released! My cube visual spoiler looks prettier now. 23 cards from MM17, and I still haven't added LotV.

y2dvd

My lgs had a $30 draft for 2 mm17 and 2 EMA packs. I opened a foil Goyf and a Snapcaster and went 3-0 with Esper. Constantly bouncing their board with Man-o'-War, Mist Raven, and Dinrova Horror and bouncing them back to my hand with multiple copies of Deputy of Acquittals and Whitemane Lion was the lulz.

OnPoint

Is Solemnity Combo a real deck or is Seth's deck preying on a severe lack of enchantment hate in the current meta? I think it's the kind of thing that could really shake up sideboard slots.

What is Standard like right now? Is there a decent amount of artifact hate or control? Thinking of coming back with Aetherflux combo, but I don't know the meta for the sideboard.

traveler

Not Wario
Is Solemnity Combo a real deck or is Seth's deck preying on a severe lack of enchantment hate in the current meta? I think it's the kind of thing that could really shake up sideboard slots.

Abrupt Decays and Stubs are still a thing. Not sure how good a modern deck that depends on 2 3 mana enchantments will be- just expensive enough to be slow and run into turned on stubs, but not enough to dodge decay.

That said, unlife isn't a terrible spec as it will always be a playset in Ad Naus and it's only been printed once.

OnPoint

Abrupt Decays and Stubs are still a thing. Not sure how good a modern deck that depends on 2 3 mana enchantments will be- just expensive enough to be slow and run into turned on stubs, but not enough to dodge decay.

That said, unlife isn't a terrible spec as it will always be a playset in Ad Naus and it's only been printed once.

I feel like there's a LOT less Decay than there used to be, but it could come back at any point. Stub is a problem for it for sure. I'm curious to see where this heads.

Ashodin

Stupid bullshit, I got banned from magic tcg reddit because of my post. They let it alone for hours and then banned me for it.

Meanwhile we've got no less than three to five meme like posts on the front, including a Saskia one, the Nicol Bolas one dunking, and how is my post against rules exactly? It's not even in a meme format.

traveler

Not Wario
I always end up getting them most busted draft decks right off the bat in new formats.

fj5GlNn.jpg

The Locust God wasn't even first pick; it was somewhere in the second pack and I was already UR before I even saw it. Also got passed Champion of Wits after it.

P1P1 and P2'd open fire into clear ur spells deck. Got passed all that stuff pack 2, then picked up enigma drake pack three along with some other goodies. Easiest 3-0 of my life and I know I'll never see anything this powerful for the remainder of HOU/AMK limited.

Stupid bullshit, I got banned from magic tcg reddit because of my post. They let it alone for hours and then banned me for it.

Meanwhile we've got no less than three to five meme like posts on the front, including a Saskia one, the Nicol Bolas one dunking, and how is my post against rules exactly? It's not even in a meme format.

For that blue and gold dress thing? That... seems totally harmless.

You know, I looked over this, and the only thought I really had was "God I wish Viscera Seer was in Standard".

Seriously, is it too much to ask for a 1cc sac outlet that doesn't cost extra mana per sac? I want to play Aristocrats, dammit!

they reprinted nantuko husk in origins and it went on to devastate standad because it did not cost 1 to activate.

DrArchon

Eh, Yahenni doesn't do it for me. 3 mana for 2 power, no evasion, she's just a very boring creature that's not hard to deal with even with a bunch of tokens to sac for her. Biggest plus for her is she only costs one B so she's easy to splash.

Maybe my standards are too high, but I remember the original aristocrat. It was this bad motherfucker.

Image.ashx

Look at that. 4 power. Flying. Grows if you sac humans. What a fantastic creature. What I wouldn't give for an aristocrat of that level in standard.

Santiako

no they handle them too well. You were able to 20 people by saccing your board to husk then rally the ancestors the whole board back and repeat it.

that was actually the most disgusting deck of recent years of broken standards in retrospective.

Yeah, that was a disgusting deck.

Eh, Yahenni doesn't do it for me. 3 mana for 2 power, no evasion, she's just a very boring creature that's not hard to deal with even with a bunch of tokens to sac for her. Biggest plus for her is she only costs one B so she's easy to splash.

Maybe my standards are too high, but I remember the original aristocrat. It was this bad motherfucker.

Look at that. 4 power. Flying. Grows if you sac humans. What a fantastic creature. What I wouldn't give for an aristocrat of that level in standard.

It's the best available, free sac outlets like Viscera Seer are really easy to break, so they clearly cut down on them.

OnPoint

You know, I looked over this, and the only thought I really had was "God I wish Viscera Seer was in Standard".

Seriously, is it too much to ask for a 1cc sac outlet that doesn't cost extra mana per sac? I want to play Aristocrats, dammit!

"I want a free sac outlet"

"How about Yahenni?"

"No not that one!"

;)

Your standards are too high. Yahenni is as good as it gets right now sadly.

DrArchon

It's the best available, free sac outlets like Viscera Seer are really easy to break, so they clearly cut down on them.

Yeah, that's pretty clear.

Well, Yahenni isn't too bad. Pretty hard to kill at least and forces them to hold up a blocker or eat some damage. Good with Bontu as well.

Hope they give us a Zulaport Cutthroat alternative in Ixalan to make up for rotation.

DrArchon

Reminder that Yahenni is a they, not a she.

Was unaware. I completely ignored the plot of Kaladesh. Thank you for letting me know.

Cool that WotC is including gender non-binary characters. I remember how big it was when they revealed that Alesha was trans and how cool it was that it wasn't a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom