• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

It must have been in his hand the entire time. He took a while with the TKS trigger and probably used it to figure out the line. That's why he exerted too, so Zan would be further baited into putting the Deep-Fiend on the battlefield.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
They had a hard time of reliably picking cards from previous sets for FNM promos too. They recently had Call the Bloodline, Fortune's Favor, Incendiary Flow, and Servo Exhibition/

Flow I wouldn't call a miss. They have talked about how they thought Servo Exhibition would be a huge player this standard. I bet they were very happy after the Pro Tour Kaladesh when someone was in first place after Day 2 with it.

So the last FNM promo will be Rallier? Funny how they kill it after finally hitting a good spot with promos in the summer (I don't think anyone is complaining about Revolt Promos or Hub.)

Tunoku

Flow I wouldn't call a miss. They have talked about how they thought Servo Exhibition would be a huge player this standard. I bet they were very happy after the Pro Tour Kaladesh when someone was in first place after Day 2 with it.

So the last FNM promo will be Rallier? Funny how they kill it after finally hitting a good spot with promos in the summer (I don't think anyone is complaining about Revolt Promos or Hub.)

Last promo is Push, they switched them even though Push is 08 and Rallier 09.

Violet_0

Banned
okay, but using Thought-Knot Seer on Prized Amalgam was another baffeling choice. Though he most likely would have lost either way, especially since he was on the draw

Hey, check out my jank Modern mill deck!
Really, my friend loves Mill and I was just brewing up an idea for him with Fraying Sanity...
He likes to cast Consuming Aberration after milling a bunch of cards for his finisher. But a Terminate, Path, LotV or whatever ruins his day if he can't fully mill their deck.
I don't think this will work but I just had to try to make a list.

Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells
4 Fatal Push
4 Tome Scour
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Mind Sculpt
3 Mind Funeral
2 Startled Awake
3 Archive Trap

Enchantments
4 Fraying Sanity

Lands
4 Creeping Tar pit
4 Ghost Quarter
5 Island
4 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp
4 Watery Grave

Sideboard
4 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Surgical Extraction
3 Countersquall
2 Damnation
2 Jace, Memory Adept

Violet_0

Banned
Hey, check out my jank Modern mill deck!
Really, my friend loves Mill and I was just brewing up an idea for him with Fraying Sanity...
He likes to cast Consuming Aberration after milling a bunch of cards for his finisher. But a Terminate, Path, LotV or whatever ruins his day if he can't fully mill their deck.
I don't think this will work but I just had to try to make a list.

Talent of the Telepath is worth considering. Mills 7 for 4 mana and you get up to two free sorceries and instants out of it. And I think you'll want an enchantment/aura tutor because you really need a turn 3 Fraying Sanity
Is the Twitch stream not working for anyone else?
seems to be down
e: works again now
it's a repeat of the match 9, heh

Talent of the Telepath is worth considering. Mills 7 for 4 mana and you get up to two free sorceries and instants out of it. And I think you'll want an enchantment/aura tutor because you really need a turn 3 Fraying Sanity

That's a very interesting card, I didn't even know of it. Thanks

Santiako

I'm at work so I can't see the top 8 but I'll catch it tomorrow since it sounds interesting.

Here are the top 64 decks, lots of variety. Took a ton of bans but right now standard looks sweet.

TOP 64 LISTS

I can appreciate a man who pluses his Bolas.

I feel like he should be running a 1-of something juicy for when Nahiri gets that big, though.

The last round was close without getting dragged out, with Hamilton winning after shifting his 4-Color Control to a midrange deck based on Glorybringer.

Repgnar

So Rosum lost? That's gotta suck going two days undefeated and then coming down to the last game. As someone else already mentioned the amount of different lists that showed up and performed has got to be exciting for the format. People hyped up the U/W monument deck and it certainly performed but it wasn't as dominating as the recent frontrunning decks coming into an event

Ashodin

So Rosum lost? That's gotta suck going two days undefeated and then coming down to the last game. As someone else already mentioned the amount of different lists that showed up and performed has got to be exciting for the format. People hyped up the U/W monument deck and it certainly performed but it wasn't as dominating as the recent frontrunning decks coming into an event

Format still way up in the air. I want to see mill win a Pro Tour.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
just came in here to see if I could make sense of any of this. I am more lost than ever. This game seems like it should offer a college course or something for us who have merely observed sometimes

Wulfric

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/store-play-evolves-2017-07-16

Starting with Ixalan, no more FNM promos, from now on all foil tokens WTF

Also, Standard Showdown boosters will now include a foil Rebecca Guay land hnnng I really need some of those.

Game Day ceases to exist and now replaced by "Store Championship" at the end of a set's life.

Oof, this is a bad idea all around. My LGS only gives out the FNM promo prizes for standard, I can easily see people leaving if those go away. We used to get 40 in the Theros days, now it's more like 15 on a good day. It's not like people left either, it's just that people switched to draft and EDH.

I kinda like having Game Day early. Usually there's only one or two major tournaments before it happens, so the decks are a bit more creative. Sunday is absolutely not the day for this however. People have other stuff to do that day.

The lands are pretty awesome though. Hopefully they are printed in enough quantity to be affordable for Guay fans.

Wulfric

just came in here to see if I could make sense of any of this. I am more lost than ever. This game seems like it should offer a college course or something for us who have merely observed sometimes

What are you wondering about? There tends to be several different conversation going on in this thread at any given time. No worries.

That said, Magic Duels is a good way to learn the game. It allows you to get the basics down.

Oof, this is a bad idea all around. My LGS only gives out the FNM promo prizes for standard, I can easily see people leaving if those go away. We used to get 40 in the Theros days, now it's more like 15 on a good day. It's not like people left either, it's just that people switched to draft and EDH.

I kinda like having Game Day early. Usually there's only one or two major tournaments before it happens, so the decks are a bit more creative. Sunday is absolutely not the day for this however. People have other stuff to do that day.

The lands are pretty awesome though. Hopefully they are printed in enough quantity to be affordable for Guay fans.

I haven't encountered a store that I've played at in the past two years that even does Standard for FNM. As someone who plays draft exclusively on Fridays I kinda hope to open better than the monthly promo, but I definitely will miss them. I know I'm going to do what I can to get those Fatal Pushes (which only got more valuable with this announcement). I remember grinding games to make sure I got the Stoke the Flames, and Serum Visions promos too, and I can't imagine much incentive to play constructed at these FNM events when your prize is a pointless token card.

Wizards just seems to consistently keep making these bafflingly arbitrary changes in their management of Standard that have completely soured me on the format. Unless they want to make Modern even cheaper to buy into, I can't imagine how they are planning to incentivize new players to get into the game if they keep hindering the appeal of what's supposed to be the entry level format.

Justin

If they just came out and said "We are going to make FNM a more beginner/casual event and moving the promos to the showdown events for intermediate players" would there be as much of a backlash?

I witnessed some things at the draft event this weekend that leads me to believe it would be best to separate those who are new/casual from those who are in the hunt for promos/prize packs. I think if they framed it that way it would've gone over much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom