• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Shiranui from KOF joins DOA5LR in September

Eolz

You should post the KOF costume pack collaboration in the OP too.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't just made a fighter that's just the girls yet. It's not like the game really rates competitively.

People use the male characters too, and it's a really well balanced and designed game competitively.

So, we're just dropping the pretense on Mai's purpose as a character?

Which purpose?

Muzicfreq

Banned
mwK8hs1.gif

There are male characters in DoA?

/s

but really...

I think the split is 19 - 15, favoring the females. This would make it 20 - 15

In Dead or Alive 2 the playable character split was 9 - 5 favoring males. I mean the boss Tengu from 2 was turned into a female character for Dead or Alive 5.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mai has gone through dozens of different designs in various media. I approve of this one though! Now put her in DOAX3.

Squire

Banned
People use the male characters too, and it's a really well balanced and designed game competitively.

Not what I'm arguing though. The female characters are what's making them money and isn't tournament entrance for the game/franchise pretty poor? I know the game is well-designed. It's a favorite of mine.

Sesha

Mai, buy?

Another Japanese female character though. That makes what, 9?

Unrelated to that, but DOA feels like a joke at this point with how random the roster is becoming. Mai as a character does make more sense than some of the others, but her franchise of origin is misplaced within DOA. Now that they've added Mai, though, they might as well add characters like Angel.

Squire

Banned
Mai, buy?

Unrelated to that, but DOA feels like a joke at this point with how random the roster is becoming. Mai as a character does make more sense than some of the others, but her franchise of origin is misplaced within DOA. Now that they've added Mai, though, they might as well add characters like Angel.

And Athena.

I was just gonna say they should do a couple more KOF characters instead of just Mai, given there's four from VF in there.

Sesha

Will she cost money? Also this made me think, does DOA5:LR have any other DLC characters?

Naotora Ii from Samurai Warriors was added in March as DLC.

And Athena.

I was just gonna say they should do a couple more KOF characters instead of just Mai, given there's four from VF in there.

I thought about Athena as well. Zarina and Luong would also be fitting.

Ivan 3414

It was cool when DOA 5 came out and they updated the art style, but they've really have got to do something about differentiating the faces of their female characters.

Your case isn't rested. I can bring some Momiji gifs in here and show evidence but posting gifs is the downfall of MobileGAF.

Tina and Ayame look the same?! C'mon, stop... the cast is very diverse.
Compared to almost every other fighting game in the universe, the female characters in this game are basically identical. Especially with body types. The only variables really being height and bust size. If you took the hair off of the DoA girls most would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

It's still a good fighting game, I just have never found its character design anything special.

OmegaDL50

Mai, buy?

Actually Mai is the last character I expect to fit in the DOA due to her command list being for a different style of fighting game.

The VF cast actually fit in DOA5, in fact the original DOA was on the same Model 2 arcade hardware that Virtua Fighter 2 was on, even the similar control scheme of three buttons of Hold / Guard, Punch, Kick.

Eolz

Not what I'm arguing though. The female characters are what's making them money and isn't tournament entrance for the game/franchise pretty poor? I know the game is well-designed. It's a favorite of mine.

Misunderstood then, sorry.
Of course the female characters are what is making them money, only have to look at the DLC packs for that. But that doesn't mean they should make a female-only fighting game just for the sake of it.
Tournament entrance for the game isn't really big but it's represented in most tournaments. It's still relatively good when you look at most fighting games, even if it's obviously not Smash/SF level.

Mediking

Compared to almost every other fighting game in the universe, the female characters in this game are basically identical. Especially with body types. The only variables really being height and bust size. If you took the hair off of the DoA girls most would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

It's still a good fighting game, I just have never found its character design anything special.

Oh man... you are SO lucky I am not on my laptop right now or I would show how each dang female character in that cast looks unique in their own way.

Sesha

Actually Mai is the last character I expect to fit in the DOA due to her command list being for a different style of fighting game.

The VF cast actually fit in DOA5, in fact the original DOA was on the same Model 2 arcade hardware that Virtua Fighter 2 was on, even the similar control scheme of three buttons of Hold / Guard, Punch, Kick.

I was thinking more about the character's design than the gameplay aspect. Tekken made Akuma work.

It's interesting that SF5 doesn't have a guest character. SF is one of the few relatively major FG franchises that has never had a guest character from another IP entirely.

Mai, buy?

Release character with smallest bust in series and then release character with largest bust on series. Paint them as team with some rivalry over breast size in game.

doa_xtreme_3_fortune_venus__marie_rose_x_honoka__by_gaming123456-d9d5b98.jpg

Immediately become most popular characters in the series getting mote votes then main girls Kasumi and Ayane to be on cover of the two versions of Extreme 3.

Also sell hundreds of dollars worth of DLC costumes for female characters alone.

Squire

Banned
Naotora Ii from Samurai Warriors was added in March as DLC.

I thought about Athena as well. Zarina and Luong would also be fitting.

I thought of them, too! They've got options, for sure.

Totally. It's a good game, but the models are cheap and they re-use/re-color costumes like crazy, too.

And it's very blatant. I'm surprised so many people miss it, or worse, argue that it isn't the case.

OmegaDL50

There is truth to this considering the DOA5LE modding scene. In fact outside of bust size and hair style, someone discovered that Honoka and Marie Rose character model dimensions are identical according to the mesh and skeleton.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's interesting that SF5 doesn't have a guest character. SF is one of the few relatively major FG franchises that has never had a guest character from another IP entirely.

Unless you count Cody, Guy, Rolento, and eventually Hugo and Poison from Final Fight. Still all Capcom, though.

Her eyes are actually really different. They both have similar delicate facial features, but I personally wouldn't mistake one for the other.

I agree, I don't think people really look at faces though.

Momiji's face looks pretty different than Mai's face. Though to be fair, most people in general just tell people apart by hairstyle/color. People mistake Kokoro and Momiji for some reason, just for having black hair.

doa5lr___momiji_08_by_momijihayabusa-d8jh307.jpg

edit: A more direct angle

maxresdefault.jpg

Ferr986

There is truth to this considering the DOA5LE modding scene. In fact outside of bust size and hair style, someone discovered that Honoka and Marie Rose character model dimensions are identical according to the mesh and skeleton.

They use the same face mesh. Honoka is basically a modded Marie.

Squire

Banned

The VF characters were about paying homage to those that came before.

This is about bread and butter.

Misunderstood then, sorry.
Of course the female characters are what is making them money, only have to look at the DLC packs for that. But that doesn't mean they should make a female-only fighting game just for the sake of it.
Tournament entrance for the game isn't really big but it's represented in most tournaments. It's still relatively good when you look at most fighting games, even if it's obviously not Smash/SF level.

Fair enough!

Oh man... you are SO lucky I am not on my laptop right now or I would show how each dang female character in that cast looks unique in their own way.

You're not going to refute anyone's argument by pointing out the minimal differences between each of the characters, since we all know that's the case. It's also the problem.

Mediking

I agree, I don't think people really look at faces though.

Momiji's face looks pretty different than Mai's face. Though to be fair, most people in general just tell people apart by hairstyle/color. People mistake Kokoro and Momiji for some reason, just for having black hair.

doa5lr___momiji_08_by_momijihayabusa-d8jh307.jpg

Thank you!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!

Eolz

Will she cost money? Also this made me think, does DOA5:LR have any other DLC characters?

If it's like usual, the character should be around 6$ with a pack with 5 costumes at around 12$. 5LR had Naotora in February, and previous versions had 4 characters that were included for free in Last Round.

It was cool when DOA 5 came out and they updated the art style, but they've really have got to do something about differentiating the faces of their female characters.

Eh, the problem is the bodies (they solved this in DoAX3), the faces are actually pretty distinct, unless you only look at Marie and Honoka.

Gross character joins gross game!

Just a joke about that IGN guy comment I guess?

She looks like brunette Momiji

The DOA girls generally tend to suffer from sameface, and adding characters from other games just exacerbates it

I was hoping for a new male character since we haven't had once in awhile, but Mai obviously fits in just fine.

This game is five years old and they're still pumping out tons of new content. That's pretty impressive.

OmegaDL50

Not even sure how Mai's movelist would even translate to DOA5 outside of making her an entirely new character.

Oh and regards to the KOFXIV image comparison from earlier.

The team working KOFXIV at SNK has very little if any experience in 3D, The director even admitted this in a few interviews. The fact they opted to create their own original engine to improve their knowledge of making 3D graphics can only lead to improvement.

Compared to Team Ninja who have been making 3D Action Games and Fighters for YEARS.

A studio that has many more years experience in releasing 3D games can put out a better looking 3D game, This really isn't a surprise.

JayEH

Not even sure how Mai's movelist would even translate to DOA5 outside of making her an entirely new character.

Oh and regards to the KOFXIV image comparison from earlier.

The team working KOFXIV at SNK has very little if any experience in 3D, The director even admitted this in a few interviews. The fact they opted to create their own original engine to improve their knowledge of making 3D graphics can only lead to improvement.

Compared to Team Ninja who have been making 3D Action Games and Fighters for YEARS.

A studio that has many more years experience in releasing 3D games can put out a better looking 3D game, This really isn't a surprise.

Yeah it's silly to compare the two.

OmegaDL50

Lots of fire

mai-explosioncombo.gif

Well that was one of my points

Her specials like Kachousen (Fan Toss), and stuff like Ryuuenbu and the Flame Wall move, as well as her wall jump shenanigans. I have no idea how they would work in DOA5.

KOF as a whole is a very distinctly different sort of fighting game in terms of mechanics than DOA is with characters having moveset comprised of 60 to 70 attacks.

bounchfx

That doesn't look like Mai, it looks like a new DoA character with a Mai DLC costume. That's good news I guess though as it means we might get more characters from other fighting games.

yeah this is my problem with it. that's not mai outside of le jiggle

Top Bottom