• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maine confirms its first case of measles in 20 years

Monocle

Yeah this is one of the reasons I won't apologize for being a hardliner against anti-intellectualism and the social and cultural institutions that foster it, e.g. religion and political conservatism. Ignorance has real consequences that affect everyone.

The problem with giving people the freedom to be dumbass anti-science loons is they'll rarely if ever keep the consequences of their poor decisions limited to their homes. How can they? These people vote, they raise children, they influence corporate policy, pass on their ideas to other credulous people, and misspend their personal resources.

Where's the ethical solution? You can't force people not to be stupid. You can't impose education on them. Maybe social engineering and populist manipulation in the vein of Fox News and conservative talk radio is the answer. But that would spawn a whole other set of issues. People need to understand what they're supporting and why. It's much better to have a rational population who feel a civic duty to inoculate themselves against bullshit by staying informed and keeping their critical capacities sharp.

There's no reasonable logic to this.

Let's say that you believe that there are edge cases where vaccination causes autism. That isn't really supported by any evidence, but fine, let's use that as a starting point in making this risk assessment. Apparently, whatever the scenario is where this occurs, it's infrequent enough that it has not been observable in direct study--and there have been many, many studies--so it's a remote chance at worst.

A remote chance your child becomes autistic. A person with autism can still have a happy, healthy, and productive life. Autism is, to be honest, basically just a minor impediment to be overcome, not some great life-ending tragedy.

Now, compare that to the effects of the diseases you're choosing not to immunize your child against, and in so doing introducing a (admittedly remote) chance that your child contracts them in the process. Polio? Smallpox? Measles?

If you have a fucking brain in your head you should be able to understand that even if vaccinations had a chance of causing autism, which does not appear to be the case, these are not comparable dangers. There is only one rational and reasonable choice. If you can't make it, quite frankly, your child should not be in your custody.

Trakdown

...Just...I mean...god dammit.

Even if I try to see their completely misguided and solely fantasy-based point of view, it's your kid dying or living in horrific pain versus autism. A point of view and belief which has no bearing in the real world. All for some designer, faux-intellectual movement.

I don't know, I don't think the awful communicable diseases coming back is working fast enough. Maybe we should start another online rumor that taking deep breaths underwater is healthy and strychnine is great for making mixed drinks at parties. There's literally the same amount of medical science saying that's a good idea, but at least they're only harming themselves at that point.

MGrant

3or6x7z_d.jpg

Chiropractor warns legitimate medicine is a scam. What a fucking surprise.

To any reading this who go to chiropractors: stop doing that shit. Go to an orthopedic doctor.

This whole 'vaccination can cause other terrible illnesses' needs to fuck off, pronto. I don't care what else you do, but endangering other human beings and small children because you refuse to vaccinate yours is getting damn close to insanity.

How vaccinations isn't mandatory is beyond me. This doesn't only happen in the US, but in the entire world.

We even had these type of cases in The Netherlands already, with a region known as the 'bible belt' where parents refuse to vaccinate their children but they did bring them to public schools 10 miles further.

EDIT: My mistake. Didn't want to throw religion into this for just being the sole purpose that people don't vaccinate their kids. I know there are people who refuse to vaccinate without being religious. I am editing my post just in case.

Keasar

Vaccination should honestly be mandatory.

If you decide to live in civilization and society because you want the jobs, you want to ride on the concrete roads, you want the clean water, you want the safety of the police/firefighters/hospitals. Well, if you want that, you sign the goddamn contract that everyone else signs to be a good citizen, follow the laws, and not intentionally try to spread diseases. The rest of us has to. The rest of us does so. They should not be allowed to fucking skip points of this social contract the same way I cannot suddenly go "Well, you see officer, I murdered the old lady cause my Holy Book says she will now live in heaven happily which is quite an upgrade from living here, so I did nothing wrong."

Unless your child has a lowered immune system disease that makes vaccination a problem, vaccinate your goddamn child or fucking leave. Every parent who does not is basically Typhoid Mary re-incarnarted. These people are dangerous to everyone else around them because of their sheer stupidity.

What makes me even more angry is that it's not THEY who get affected by this, it's their fucking children. Children who have done nothing wrong except rolling bad on the dice of life and been born to a couple of fuckin' wankers. They will be the ones who take the brunt force of the stupidity of their parents, their parents will suffer nothing compared to the children.

3or6x7z_d.jpg

Only a chiropractor, but still bad enough.
And FUCK him, a fucking chiropractor have no goddamn say on medicine.

And fuck his stupid motivational poster as well! Fucking can't believe people still get those goddamn things.

People against vaccinations are basically the dumbest ppl alive

Wouldn't it be nice if their ass ended stupidity only affected them.

As a responsible society that cares more about the greater good when it comes to diseases, we need to force these people to vaccinate their children.

People who are against vaccinations are, genuinely, some of the most pig headedly gullible people to exist.

Won't listen to the science, but one, now discredited, report and a few celebrities? Sign me up!

Even if we look at their wildest claims - like they cause autism (not true) - even if that was the case, you know what's worse? Polio. Measles. Rubella.

It's completely selfish because it puts people who can't get vaccinated for one genuine reason or another at risk as well.

Tantamount to child abuse as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah this is one of the reasons I won't apologize for being a hardliner against anti-intellectualism and the social and cultural institutions that foster it, e.g. religion and political conservatism. Ignorance has real consequences that affect everyone.
Anti-vaccines originated from "academics, artists and ecologists" in Berlin. It also somehow grabbed the attention from ultra conservative right-winged people as well.

It is also mind-boggling that many friends of mine also start repeating false claims anti-vaxxers say like for instance that vaccine can cause autism.

Way too many people are literally illiterate in consuming media.

I always picture bumbling hillbilly shitheads to be the ones who believe in this shit but no, its usually pretty normal folks who just have incredibly dumb positions on certain topics.

Monocle

Anti-vaccines originated from "academics, artists and ecologists" in Berlin. It also somehow grabbed the attention from ultra conservative right-winged people as well.

It is also mind-boggling that many friends of mine also start repeating false claims anti-vaxxers say like for instance that vaccine can cause autism.

Way too many people are literally illiterate in consuming media.
Not wave this away with a No True Scotsman, but the intelligentsia need to get better at weeding out the idiots within their own ranks too. People who excel in academia aren't guaranteed to be scientifically literate critical thinkers. Some people simply get better at justifying their foolish notions to themselves and others.

I always picture bumbling hillbilly shitheads to be the ones who believe in this shit but no, its usually pretty normal folks who just have incredibly dumb positions on certain topics.

Ironically, I remember vaccination programs in Appalachia being pretty widely popular where I grew up (Tennessee), along with programs like school dental and eye-sight checkups. Poor people don't tend to turn down free medical care, unless it's on a voting ballot.

DavidDesu

We have at any moment access to more information than all of our ancestors combined, and we yet we still choose to ignore facts and reason.

The ignorance of religion. For the most part religion is hugely influential here. The fact is if you are willing to believe proclamation from an ancient text written by men (but you may genuinely believe was written by God, somehow) then you can believe any old shite. It's not a healthy place to be at this time in our history. We need to let it go and go full steam ahead in an egalitarian, science and fact driven society.

I fear one day the anti-vax crap is going to bring back something that won't be easy to control

something we got rid of long ago and now becomes resistant to treatment

nope, its a bipartisan problem

http://www.realclearscience.com/jou...r_conservatives_more_anti-vaccine_108905.html

highest vaccine exemptions (anti-vaxx)

Oregon (7.1%); Obama +12
Idaho (6.4%); Romney +32
Vermont (6.2%); Obama +36
Michigan (5.9%); Obama +9
Maine (5.5%); Obama +15
Alaska (5.3%); Romney +14
Arizona (4.9%); Romney +9
Wisconsin (4.9%); Obama +7
Washington (4.7%); Obama +15
Colorado (4.6%); Obama +5
Utah (4.4%); Romney +48

lowest vaccine exemptions (pro vaccinations)

Mississippi (<0.1%); Romney +11
West Virginia (0.2%); Romney +26
Virginia (0.6%); Obama +4
Alabama (0.7%); Romney +23
Delaware (0.8%); Obama +19
Louisiana (0.8%); Romney +17
New York (0.8%); Obama +28
Kentucky (0.9%); Romney +22

Seriously Michigan? Stupid bunch of backward idiots.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I believe it all comes back to parenting through fear. If you believe there's a .000000000001% chance of your kid getting autism, better safe than sorry. Even though it has been disproved I think these people feel that its better other peoples' kids take the risk of vaccination.

As someone with a young child, a big FUCK YOU to anyone who doesn't vaccinate their kids. We were looking at daycare and one of my questions was vaccination policy and apparently they can't discriminate against kids without vaccines. I will lose my shit if my kid gets a disease because of some moron parent.

I really don't buy in to the religion angle at all. Sure some people might use that as an excuse for anti-vax nonsense but most people I know who are against it are just scared and uninformed people who believe everything they read on the internet. My son's daycare is religious based and they have a strict must vaccinate policy.

As someone with a young child, a big FUCK YOU to anyone who doesn't vaccinate their kids. We were looking at daycare and one of my questions was vaccination policy and apparently they can't discriminate against kids without vaccines. I will lose my shit if my kid gets a disease because of some moron parent.

My son's daycare won't accept an application without proof of vaccination and continued enrollment is contingent on proof of update vaccinations.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/maine-confirms-first-case-measles-20-years/

To Anti-Vaccanists;

You dumb motherfuckers. Nature and science has gifted us the rare opportunity to eliminate diseases. These diseases were the worst, most annoying diseases. And for the amount of damage they do, there were a lot. Fucking smallpox, measles, tetanus, cholera, diphtheria, polio. About Polio, have you seen what it does to a person? It irreversibly changes how their whole body is formed, into a disabled one. And by the graces of all, there was a way to completely annihilate it. You live in the first time in the entire history of humankind that we don't have to deal with these annoying things. Thousands of years of humans relegated to the pain of dealing with these poxes. If you lived in the past you were always aware that you yourself was going to be stricken with one of these things, and if not you at least one of your children won't make it to adult hood. We don't have to worry about that shit. The most we have to worry about when young is getting an occasionally cold or flu that comes around with the chance of getting it each year.

Anti-vaxxers are monumentally stupid.

As the new father of a 1 month old this scares the shit out of me. I don't think kids get the vaccine for MMR til they're 1 so I have 11 more months of hopefully dodging this shit...in 2017...

subrock

I can’t wait until CRISPR eradicates cancer, and the human race lives cancer free for 50 years until everyone forgets how shitty cancer was and then a bunch of edgy anti-establishment parents decide the don’t want to innocculate against cancer.

My son's daycare won't accept an application without proof of vaccination and continued enrollment is contingent on proof of update vaccinations.
I was hoping that was the case here but apparently it's discrimination in this province. I was worried enough about having someone else watch my kid, this just adds to the stress of it =(

Lister

Banned
So basically natural selection is about to wipe out the stupid people and unfortunately their offspring. Fucking idiots.

If it was only them I'd say bring it.

But we all suffer. Those who are suffering from immune disorders are in danger. Those under treatments that supress the immune system ar ein danger. Those who cannot be vaccinated against certain diseases or for whom certina vaccines aren't fully effective - the very young or the very old are put in danger.

And of course the children of the stupid become their victims. It's not these kids faults that they were born to moron parents. But it is unfrotunatley, they that might have to live with issues stemming from these preventable diseases (or sadly, not get to live because of them).

Fuck these stupid, stupid, selfish people.

I think this shoudl be against the law. The rights of the parent should only extend in so far as modern medicine clearly contradicts the parent's desires or opinions as it does in the case of vaccines.

We need ot protect children, sometimes even from their stupid ass parents.

mhayes86

Well, the timing of the vaccines episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver came out at the perfect time. Fucking anti-vaccinators, quit ruining our herd immunity.

I was hoping that was the case here but apparently it's discrimination in this province. I was worried enough about having someone else watch my kid, this just adds to the stress of it =(

So it's discriminatory to refuse admission to a kid without vaccinations but if said kid contracts measles, polio, etc. and spreads it to other kids... welp, that's life.

These policies were dreamt up in insane asylums.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The most insidious and annoying thing now isn't anti-vaxxers because everyone laughs at their dumb shit, but the wishy-washy "I just don't knoooooow" useless idiots. Like "I believe in vaccines BUT". John Oliver's segment about them was pretty good. And infuriating.

"There's too much information out there"
"I just don't know what's truly safe"
"I don't want to take the chances"

No there isn't, stop going to Infowars and just read real fucking science articles or follow the CDC's recommendations you blistering, ignorant moron. The information is out there, it's freely available, history alone has shown vaccines are important and safe, there's literally no fucking excuse for being so ignorant and vacuous.

3or6x7z_d.jpg

Only a chiropractor, but still bad enough.

This is enough to make me rage. Fuck this scumbag and of course he's gotta be a fucking chiro. Ugh.

Dierce

Facebook, Twitter and all the large social media outlets are to blame for giving these anti-vaxxer morons a platform.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Most of these antivaxxers have zero clue as to what diseases like polio do. If they want to know they should ask someone like my 75 year old uncle who saw its impact on some of his classmates. The fact that we are now seeing measles again, more than an isolated case, is terrifying. These diseases were basically eradicated.

These dense motherfuckers are going to cause an epidemic.

There's no reasonable logic to this.
Now, compare that to the effects of the diseases you're choosing not to immunize your child against, and in so doing introducing a (admittedly remote) chance that your child contracts them in the process. Polio? Smallpox? Measles?

It isn't just autism though.

I have an aunt that was spouting that every kid in her child's school that was vaccinated got sick and the ones that didn't were healthy.

I have no idea what she thinks.

Top Bottom