• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Major full-fledged" Assassin's Creed Sequel Confirmed for 2012

Evlar

Banned
Brotherhood is pretty great so I'm still in favor of more Assassin's Creed, and exploring an entirely new time and place will be nice.

I'm also hoping for revolutionary France.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's fine with me. When you have so many teams working on the product and when the main concept of the game and mechanics is done, you can probably pump out a good one every year

I'm also throwing in French Revolution suggestions. I could definitely see a cutscene of having to save someone from a guillotine.

People defending the "game a year" strategy are mindblowing. Sure they're still good, but haven't you heard of too much of a good thing? Also, these sequels are getting to be just slight iterations in a different city which will ultimately lead to Guitar Heroing the franchise. It's too much too soon for a franchise like this, and as a result isn't being as innovative as it could be.

duckroll

This news is so shocking. Look at the shock on my face. It is true shock. No I'm not just stretching my muscles to make a funny face. Honest! I am truly surprised by this amazing and unexpected turn of events. I am!

Lol.

.la1n

gdt5016 said:
You know, lets say the ACs are 30 hour games. Is it really that big a deal if you spend a 30 hour chunk on the same franchise every 365 days?

The games keep getting better, so it's not really milkage in the way we've come to know it.

This.

Khezu said:
Skipped brotherhood and will skip Rev, will buy the true sequel next year.

Nothing against either of the AC2 expansion games, I just don't want to burn myself out on the series.

Yeah I'm in this boat as well. Looking forward to hopefully a totally new time period, main character and setting. I love the historical touches of these games, so I'm excited to see where this one will take place.

boingball

they are really mass-producing them.

I like AC and I am astonished that they manage to get a quite polished product out every year (ok, the jury is still out on Revelations), but I fear they are throwing them out to fast. Guitar Heroing it...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Net_Wrecker said:
People defending the "game a year" strategy are mindblowing. Sure they're still good, but haven't you heard of too much of a good thing? Also, these sequels are getting to be just slight iterations in a different city which will ultimately lead to Guitar Heroing the franchise. It's too much too soon for a franchise like this, and as a result isn't being as innovative as it could be.
Too much of a good thing is something that builds up over time. Guitar Hero 3 was so-so, then the next was bad then continued to be awful. It is way too late in the console cycle for a game like Assassin's Creed to risk being innovative.

Grisby

So, Ac3 hopefully? I'd like a new protagonist and setting. Let's get some classic Victorian stuff up in this bitch.

ultron87

Net_Wrecker said:

Every Guitar Hero after 2 got shittier. So far this hasn't been the case with AC.

As long as it continues on an upwards trajectory there isn't anything wrong with them putting out a quality game every year.

hatchx

Banned
Why announce this mere days before the release of the next AC?

I am not very interested in Revelations, but now I'm less interested.

f0rk said:
Isn't the team working on these games huge?

They have 6 teams working on Revelations, the core team is on Montreal, the rest around the world, they have everything figured out to make them fast and hard.

They will take a break after next year game, Amancio believes it at least. Ubisoft president said sometime ago that they want one AC game every year, so probably, they will release smaller games till the next generation is here.

Also, these sequels are getting to be just slight iterations in a different city which will ultimately lead to Guitar Heroing the franchise.

One of the best things of the AC games is the fact that you can explore a new big and very detailed city/cities in every game, so that it's not going to be a weak point in any AC game never.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll probably skip Revelations. I was done with Ezio after Brotherhood.

I'll wait for the next major AC game.

duckroll said:
I hope it takes place on a Space Colony in 2078.
Caveman Assassins....IN SPACE

ultron87

duckroll said:
I hope it takes place on a Space Colony in 2078.

Replace swords with laser swords!

And no uses guns because that would break the game.

I think that is actually the biggest challenge the series faces going forward, since having guns be the primary weapon in whatever time period they pick (or in the modern era) would change pretty much everything about the game. Obviously, this kind of shift in the gameplay could be just the thing the series needs to inject a bunch of new ideas.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope they have 2 dedicated teams working on this (at least 2 year dev cycle) but I know they're probably just milking it with one giant team. Please don't let it diminish in quality. I'll be perfectly fine with Ass Creed game once every 2 years.

Glass Rebel

After being mildly disappointed in the first one I never really took a second look at the franchise until this year thanks to that MS points thing and got ACII which I enjoyed. I'm obviously behind with the games, not having played Brotherhood yet with Revelations coming up but even though I'm thirsting for more AC right now I don't really see it as a good thing to have this many games in such a short timespan. I'll probably play ACIII in 2015 at this rate.

Assassin's Creed: Generations
Assassin's Creed: Unleashed
Assassin's Creed: Retribution
Assassin's Creed: Extreme
Assassin's Creed: Redemption
Assassin's Creed: The Return of Samus

Ubisoft will look at what is successful this year and title it:

Skysassin's Creed

Or they will name the main guy Skye. Guaranteed.

Evlar

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
After being mildly disappointed in the first one I never really took a second look at the franchise until this year thanks to that MS points thing and got ACII which I enjoyed. I'm obviously behind with the games, not having played Brotherhood yet with Revelations coming up but even though I'm thirsting for more AC right now I don't really see it as a good thing to have this many games in such a short timespan. I'll probably play ACIII in 2015 at this rate.
Well that's a good thing. Think of all the money you're saving.

zoner said:
Too much of a good thing is something that builds up over time. Guitar Hero 3 was so-so, then the next was bad then continued to be awful. It is way too late in the console cycle for a game like Assassin's Creed to risk being innovative.

OK, maybe not innovative in the most literal sense of the word, but at least an AC -> AC2 jump. Is that too much to ask for? Brotherhood and Revelations as good as they are and might be, respectively, are pretty much expansions. 5 games in 5 years for a franchise like this is too much for my tastes.

*says all this after highly enjoying AssCreedBro, and anticipating Revelations and AC3*

Pai Pai Master said:
Assassin's Creed: Generations
Assassin's Creed: Unleashed
Assassin's Creed: Retribution
Assassin's Creed: Extreme
Assassin's Creed: Redemption
Assassin's Creed: The Return of Samus

Assassin's Creed: Reckoning X Uprising

ultron87

timetokill said:
Ubisoft will look at what is successful this year and title it:

Skysassin's Creed

Or they will name the main guy Skye. Guaranteed.

So you're saying they should steal the Skylander's idea and let you switch between various historical assassins on the fly by placing figures on your console's Animus peripheral?

(I would play that game so hard.)

braves01

Banned
I'm cool with this, just as long as there are some iPhone apps and Facebook games to keep me busy until the sequel comes out.

macfoshizzle said:
please let it be ninja's in feudal japan!

One of the better parts of the AC games is that they tend to stay away from eras that have been done to death in games.

Based on the video unlocked by solving the Subject 16 puzzles in part 2, the architecture in the ancient civilization looked pretty interesting... I wouldn't be surprised if we visited there for some of the game.

There is something hilarious about proclaiming that "next year is the year", before you've even released this year's annual installment of your game for the 4th consecutive year.

(._.)

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Color me surprised.
I remember being excited for what I thought would be a trilogy.
Same. II came out and it was ok. I thought maybe III will be a bit more exciting but they ended up releasing two more games based off of the previous games. This series went down the drain. Really such a shame how publishers will milk a franchise.

Cheska

Jeels said:
Do they really need to announce this before Revelations is even out?

First thing I thought too. I'm a huge fan of the series, and am already picking up Revelations but this could potentially kill sales.

Top Bottom