• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson Comments on Xbox One features (and also a general bit of commentary).

mittelos

Still no games multitask, for me it seems smartmatch is an OS feature that it is always there, they never mention you switch games seamlessly they say prepare not the same.

Right; unless I'm misunderstanding, "two games" is only in context of smart match, and then only if both games were purchased digitally, else there would be a disc-swap involved.

see5harp

It's definitely not running the games simultaneously, just doing the match making stuff. So it seems as though you may still need to sit through the splash and load screens. Hopefully with the multiplayer and downloadable games, devs will realize this and get players into the game as quickly as possible. It would actually suck to be waiting in a the lobby, and then have to wait again after a match is ready because a bunch of people had ADD and felt like booting up a few quick matches of Killer Instinct. I suppose for the low population games this will still be a good thing.

Garjon

Soon, we’re going to start showing more of these features working on the box vs. just talking about it.

Some of the things that are being said, like “watching TV while waiting for a match” may not make sense in the construct of how systems work today.

But when you guys actually start seeing how the multiple-OS system works with Xbox One, how these features will change the way you use the system – I really think you will start to appreciate what we’ve been talking about. Our examples haven’t always been great. And it’s all fluff until you guys get to use it, I get that.

Things that take multiple button presses, menus, dashboards – will be nearly instant on the new box. And you can have two things running at the same time (actually, you can have MORE than two things running) – like a AAA game and another application, you’ll be able to have them running both at the same time, on the same screen, with no performance hit. Game + Netfix. Game + YouTube. Game + IE. Game + Chat. Game + Something new that has yet to be invented. Netflix + TV, Skype + Netflix… there are so many possibilities.

The concept of “saving a game” is going to be gone. Anyone ever been playing a game, and wanted to quickly do something else, just for a few minutes?. Watch a TV program with the SO? Check out a video on YouTube? Sure, you totally could pause the game and use your phone, we get that. But that’s because on the TV, that process has a bunch of steps and a takes a bunch of time – launch, load save game, play game, exit game to dashboard, launch new app, wait for app to start, exit out... you get the picture.

Now, you can do it INSTANTLY. Pause the game and snap another application on the side of the screen. Do what you want, unpause and the game picks right up.

It’s really going to be amazing, I think. Hope you guys will agree.

Thanks for posting, but to clarify something posted earlier, is it possible to play/suspend two different games at the same time to enable instant game-switching? It'd make this matchmaking system pretty nifty.

Hoodbury

Curious on how the match making works if you're in a party. Does it take an average of all the people in your party? Just the leader of your party? Skips this enhancement if you're in a party?

Also, is this a built in feature that happens with every game, or something extra devs need to program in meaning a lot of 3rd parties might not use?

Actually yeah. I've seen a video of someone playing Ryse, and a prompt popped up for their Killer Instinct match. It can definitely run two games.

That's not how it works. The system doesn't need the game running at all. Its cloud powered matchmaking. Specifically, when you start matchmaking, it will send the matchmaking request to a XBL server, which handles finding a match and sends you a notification once it's found. That's how they enable you to do whatever you want on the box, since matchmaking isn't being done on the box.

you can only run one game at a time that uses the 5gb OS. However, it's possible that if games could also be made using the 3gb OS (I don't see why not), then you could open two games at once, but those would likely be smaller games which don't require the full resources (think Angry Birds-ish).

One nice part is that if you're in a party, only one person needs to open the game to start matchmaking (or they could use Smartglass most likely). That's great if you want to play geometry wars or watch Netflix while you're waiting for all your buddies to join the party to play Halo. Once it finds your match, you get the notification and you can then open the game straight into the match without going through menus. When your buddies are done with Halo you could then switch back to Geometry Wars and pick up right where you left off.

That's my understanding of how this works based on new info and from interviews Nelson gave at E3.

Takuya

Banned
Actually yeah. I've seen a video of someone playing Ryse, and a prompt popped up for their Killer Instinct match. It can definitely run two games.
Yes because Killer Instinct wasn't running.

Iced_Eagle explains it above.

One game at a time.

1. Is matchmaking going to be done on the XB1 OS itself rather than in-game? For this new system to work, surely this would have to be the case. Are we going to see devs lose control over their servers this gen?

Matchmaking is done on the OS level on the Xbox One. You can even initiate matchmaking via Smartglass even if you aren't currently running the game. For disc-based games you'll have to fetch the disc when your queue pops if you don't already have it in. For Digital Downloads you can just fire it up from the toast notification.

Garjon

Matchmaking is done on the OS level on the Xbox One. You can even initiate matchmaking via Smartglass even if you aren't currently running the game. For disc-based games you'll have to fetch the disc when your queue pops if you don't already have it in. For Digital Downloads you can just fire it up from the toast notification.

Oh, so there's not going to be anything like Steam allowed this gen, where a publisher uses it's own servers? Well, it can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on the publisher.

Thanks for posting, but to clarify something posted earlier, is it possible to play/suspend two different games at the same time to enable instant game-switching? It'd make this matchmaking system pretty nifty.

If the games were purchased digitally, yes you can. Obviously, when we went back to discs this is something you loose because you need to go insert the disc.

There are still some details to be worked out that may be game specific.

So there are some details still TBD. But the intent of how we built the system was to do exactly that.

eorl

Banned
Okay seems like I have to outline a few things so some questions can be answered and people can stop throwing around random accusations.

Firstly, this matchmaking isn't to deal with games like CoD or Battlefield. Those games are huge, with large numbers of players always online and the actual queue times being minimal. This system is in place for smaller games, games that take minutes or sometimes even 30 minutes to find a match. Doing so will allow you to queue up and then jump into another game for some single-player fun.

Secondly, this is all done on the cloud. You don't actually need to be in-game by the sounds of it to queue up, as you can do so utilising smartglass in some cases. This will allow you to queue up for one game while playing another. For example, I'm playing Watch_Dogs and want to jump into a Halo match, pull up the queue system, hit queue and put myself back into Watch_Dogs. Match is ready (as shown by a toast notification), jump into queued game. This can ONLY be done with digital games though, you will not (for at least the time being) be able to switch from digital game to disc game, or vice versa I believe.

You can do a multitude of things with this new matchmaking system, like playing another game at the same time, or browsing the web or watching TV. Yeah sure you can just switch over to your TV channel without hooking it up to Xbox, but you won't get those notifications, that is the key here.

Also, I have a very big feeling that the new reputation system will play a part in matchmaking, by either ensuring you don't get placed with red carded people, or base the matchmaking around other people of similar skill/taste to you. All-in-all though, this sounds like an excellent system and one that I'll be eager to try out as we head into the next-gen.

Kemal86

I just don't get Smart Match. In any game with a population > 10 people, I've never waited more than 45 seconds for a match. Not once, ever.

Are they going to make me wait 10 minutes for a 100% ideal perfectly balanced match to pop up? Fuck dat.

If the games were purchased digitally, yes you can. Obviously, when we went back to discs this is something you loose because you need to go insert the disc.

So there are some details still TBD. But the intent of how we built the system was to do exactly that.

Sorry to nag you for further clarification but I'm genuinely curious.

Do BOTH games have to be purchased digitally? Or would it be possible to switch between games if only one of them is digital.

Like say you're playing from the disc of a game like Ryse, Titanfall, Halo or whatever and you're searching for a multiplayer match. Would it be possible to switch over to a digital only title like a Killer Instinct or Crimson Dragon and play that while the matchmaking runs in the background? Or is this only going to be available if both titles are digital?

statham

Nice.

Oh, so there's not going to be anything like Steam allowed this gen, where a publisher uses it's own servers? Well, it can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on the publisher.

I'm sure that's still possible. Respawn is using Microsoft's Azure platform to spin up virtual dedicated servers for Titanfall at reduced cost to Respawn, but if for whatever reason and pub wanted to use their own servers they should be able to.

I just don't get Smart Match. In any game with a population > 10 people, I've never waited more than 45 seconds for a match. Not once, ever.

Are they going to make me wait 10 minutes for a 100% ideal perfectly balanced match to pop up? Fuck dat.

I'm jealous that you've never once had MM take longer than 45s. I play Dota2 daily and even though its the #1 played game on Steam it's not uncommon to have a match take 5 minutes to find.

All digital day one confirmed. This is exactly the kind of stuff I want from a next-gen console.

They've said that you can adjust parameters on your Smartmatch profile, so that if you value a quick matchmaking turnaround you can set that to be a priority over skill-based or reputation-based matching.

Amir0x

Banned

If you've been playing Gears of War 2 but have been having problems with matchmaking, rest assured, Epic is working on a fix.

In a recent forum post, Rod Fergusson acknowledged that "a small percentage of players are having issues," but they are working on getting things fixed and have made it their "#1 priority."

Rod also mentioned that if you're having problems, try avoiding being in groups of 4 or playing by yourself, as those players seemed to experience the longest delays. He also mentioned making sure your NAT is open, which is a tweak you can make to your router settings.

We here at TheFeed have had a mixed bag when it comes to Gears of War 2 matchmaking. Some of us have had seemless nights with matches starting in a matter of seconds. Others have been completely unable to get into games, even when in a complete party of 5. How have your experiences with Gears of War 2 matchmaking been?

Link

get it now?

I had to wait sometimes upwards of 30 minutes to get into Gears of War II matches. I experienced such issues from time to time in multiple games throughout the 360 gen. It didn't happen frequently, but when it did I would have loved to have a feature like this.

I really don't know how in the universe anyone is spinning this as negative. I really don't. I'm king of negativity and I don't.

U2NUMB

I am pretty sure BF4 will use Dice / EA servers. I am guessing this is tied into the system like party chat is on the 360... the publishers simply do not have to worry about coding it in they can just plug into the built in system and use the features.

Is the Enforcememt Beta still active?
It should be. Just go to the link and apply. Just remember that the servers are likely being hammered due to all the Ambassadors wanting to play with their new toys. https://enforcement.xbox.com/United/Home/Eligibility

The big thing for me is being able to search in games that have a lower population. Games like Halo Wars today I love to play online, but it just takes a looong time to set up a match, even longer if I want to do a 2v2 with a friend.

border

Once a match is ready to play, how long do I have to join the match?

Or conversely speaking, once a match is ready to play, how long do I have to wait for other nitwits to get up and insert the game disc or quit out of the game they are already playing?

ITT: We learn that you can play one AAA game on Xbox while waiting for a match in another and switching to it. Jesus Christ that's a good feature, why wasn't stuff like this being advertised heavier instead of playing an offline console in a submarine, etc, etc.

If it is true (and it sounds like it), then once the matchmaking is done, does it suspend the other game you're playing or could you lose progress potentially? This is a genuinely good feature that has me interested in Xbox One.

Digital Day One. Now the real question is whether or not I should pay TWC the extra $5 a month to upgrade my internet package.

Even though the games are expected to download and play nearly immediately, has anyone heard anything about pre-loading games? Or will this never be allowed?

Doodis

Digital Day One. Now the real question is whether or not I should pay TWC the extra $5 a month to upgrade my internet package.

Even though the games are expected to download and play nearly immediately, has anyone heard anything about pre-loading games? Or will this never be allowed?

Haven't heard anything about pre-loading, but I'm pretty sure you can start playing a game before it's downloaded completely.

ITT: We learn that you can play one AAA game on Xbox while waiting for a match in another and switching to it. Jesus Christ that's a good feature, why wasn't stuff like this being advertised heavier instead of playing an offline console in a submarine, etc, etc.
Yep. They need to talk more about these features, as these have always been the core strengths of the Xbox.

I'd also like to know some kind of decent long term vision for the service. Something that shows that there is more to the Bone than TV, TV, TV, TV. That the gaming investment is the top one, and has a nice future ahead of it.

see5harp

Well maybe it will work exactly as shown, even with big retail titles. I suppose if save states are required for devs to implement in the cert than I suppose you would be able to switch instantly. I have to imagine it still takes more than a few seconds to reconnect to game servers, etc. though.

I think it's aimed at games with smaller online communities.

I know someone who still plays AC Brotherhood MP every once in a while

It takes her forever to find a match and she's ecstatic that smart match might help with such things in the future

That being said it's an extreme edge case

For a game like titanfall I would fully expect matchmaking to take 30 or so seconds unless bad things happen

Justin

Yep. They need to talk more about these features, as these have always been the core strengths of the Xbox.

I'd also like to know some kind of decent long term vision for the service. Something that shows that there is more to the Bone than TV, TV, TV, TV. That the gaming investment is the top one, and has a nice future ahead of it.

Have they really talked about TV since the day of the reveal? I mean has Xbox posted any article at all since that first day about watching TV with Xbox. It seems all they have been talking about is games and os features.

ToyBroker

Banned
Yeah, looks like there are starting to be some compelling reasons to go all digital with the One.

I'm sorry, I've seen a few posts in this thread that are just like this one.

What exactly in his post had anyone feeling that MS and the digital future would be a compelling one, much less a great one?

Unless of course you mean "connected to the internet" then yeah sure.

Haven't heard anything about pre-loading, but I'm pretty sure you can start playing a game before it's downloaded completely.

Don't think that was ever confirmed.

The closest thing we've gotten I believe is the Turn10 guys where you have to download the rest of the game day 1 and you can I guess sorta play still while it downloads.

For a game like titanfall I would fully expect matchmaking to take 30 or so seconds unless bad things happen
Speaking of TitanFall, that game actually looked like the lobby was in-band, completely in-game, with stuff going on. Which makes me think of Destiny and how it will auto-magically match-make in the background when it comes to public events.

While Smart Matchmaking will solve the tedium of waiting in a lobby with nothing better to do maybe the whole idea of lobbies, and especially lobbies where you do nothing but wait while you see little status updates go by, maybe that entire idea won't be applicable for all that long.

Or to put it another way, if the game doesn't shunt me into a lobby in the first place I don't really need to task switch away from it.

Have they really talked about TV since the day of the reveal? I mean has Xbox posted any article at all since that first day about watching TV with Xbox. It seems all they have been talking about is games and os features.
Lately they have been focused on services and games yeah, which is great.

I bring it up to answer the trojan horse issue. We all know they want the living room, but if gaming doesn't see diminished investments its all good, and a long term vision provides that sense. At least for me.

ToyBroker

Banned
Speaking of TitanFall, that game actually looked like the lobby was in-band, completely in-game, with stuff going on. Which makes me think of Destiny and how it will auto-magically match-make in the background when it comes to public events.

While Smart Matchmaking will solve the tedium of waiting in a lobby with nothing better to do maybe the whole idea of lobbies, as especially lobbies where you do nothing but wait while you see little status updates go by, maybe that entire idea won't be applicable for all that long.

Or to put it another way, if the game doesn't shunt me into a lobby in the first place I don't really need to task switch away from it.

Yeah.

The match-making feature is cool and all (especially the get matched up while you play and with rep equal gamers) but this "sitting in a lobby" kind of method of this last-gen isn't going to carry into this new gen for sure. That dynamic switching between SP and MP is going to be massive.

What exactly in his post had anyone feeling that MS and the digital future would be a compelling one, much less a great one?

Microsoft has always done online services better than it's competitor. It seems like they're adding features, and streamlining other to keep it that way. They're also adding real benefits to going digital with the fast switching of games.

Frillen

Thanks OP for making that statement. Xbone threads should have been graveyards of annoying posters who find the little excuses to bash Microsoft and the Xbone.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm always fascinated by reputation systems for online communities. There are a lot of really interesting possibilities there that go way beyond "50 people downvoted you and so you have to play with racists for the rest of your system's life". I wish they'd talk about the specific algorithms they have in mind, but I can understand not wanting to share those for fear of enabling abuse.

yeah but then what if you feel like the system down voted you by accident? have they spoke about how they can change stuff like that? like you said they probably don't want abuse but things need to explained in more detail prefebably before the console launches. not to get off topic but Sony needs to start giving psn details as well for ps4.

I think this feature is so under the radar it's not even funny. This is something that should be promoted. While it's not a feature that is very needed, it's still cool indeed. I kind of like it but I realistically can't find a situation I would use it. For example, when I play Battlefield and I click "Quick Match" or even "Server Browse" there is no wait time, no lobby for me to wait in. So I generally want to know what this feature is going to be used for? It still cool but isn't the way we have it the same?

On the Reputation system, I don't like this. There's many times that people who can't stand the fact that you won will message you and say youve cheated and report you because you won. How will they make sure this troll spamming will stop? I know some friends with pretty bad reputation because they are generally good.

ToyBroker

Banned
Soon, we’re going to start showing more of these features working on the box vs. just talking about it.

Some of the things that are being said, like “watching TV while waiting for a match” may not make sense in the construct of how systems work today.

But when you guys actually start seeing how the multiple-OS system works with Xbox One, how these features will change the way you use the system – I really think you will start to appreciate what we’ve been talking about. Our examples haven’t always been great. And it’s all fluff until you guys get to use it, I get that.

Things that take multiple button presses, menus, dashboards – will be nearly instant on the new box. And you can have two things running at the same time (actually, you can have MORE than two things running) – like a AAA game and another application, you’ll be able to have them running both at the same time, on the same screen, with no performance hit. Game + Netfix. Game + YouTube. Game + IE. Game + Chat. Game + Something new that has yet to be invented. Netflix + TV, Skype + Netflix… there are so many possibilities.

The concept of “saving a game” is going to be gone. Anyone ever been playing a game, and wanted to quickly do something else, just for a few minutes?. Watch a TV program with the SO? Check out a video on YouTube? Sure, you totally could pause the game and use your phone, we get that. But that’s because on the TV, that process has a bunch of steps and a takes a bunch of time – launch, load save game, play game, exit game to dashboard, launch new app, wait for app to start, exit out... you get the picture.

Now, you can do it INSTANTLY. Pause the game and snap another application on the side of the screen. Do what you want, unpause and the game picks right up.

It’s really going to be amazing, I think. Hope you guys will agree.

5 minutes ago you said you could have game+game running..kinda weird how you didn't include that in that list.

You sure you can have 2 games running at the same time?

EDIT: The snap to application swapping while playing game is once again, neat when you "think about it". But the vast majority of us are in arms reach with a phone/tablet/computer/etc. We've done it that way for a long time--we like it that way.

Microsoft has always done online services better than it's competitor. It seems like they're adding features, and streamlining other to keep it that way. They're also adding real benefits to going digital with the fast switching of games.

So basically, by digital everyone meant "being connected to the internet". The fast switching is cool when you think about it, but how often you'll actually use it or want to use it remains to be seen--if the match-making works as it says it does that'll be one instance.

eorl

Banned

Don't think that was ever confirmed.

The closest thing we've gotten I believe is the Turn10 guys where you have to download the rest of the game day 1 and you can I guess sorta play still while it downloads.
Going digital allows you to utilise the matchmaking to the extreme, with no wait times or inability to switch games (we don't quite know if you can switch between a disc-based game and a digital one). Also they've already talked about split downloading before, in that you can download either single or multiplayer and play either one as it reaches a certain point in downloading.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xbox-one-will-let-users-start-playing-games-while-downloading

ToyBroker

Banned
Going digital only allows you to utilise the matchmaking to the extreme, with no wait times or inability to switch games (we don't quite know if you can switch between a disc-based game and a digital one). Also they've already talked about split downloading before, in that you can download either single or multiplayer and play either one as it reaches a certain point in downloading.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xbox-one-will-let-users-start-playing-games-while-downloading

Which is cool--but also to be expected of the next-gen consoles. PS4 does the same stuff.

All and all more options is always going to be better.

A lot of these features are "neat" (feel like I've said that so many times) but we like the way we do things now. Letting us wave our hands at the Kinect to snap an app to the side...I dunno.

Justin

So basically, by digital everyone meant "being connected to the internet". The fast switching is cool when you think about it, but how often you'll actually use it or want to use it remains to be seen--if the match-making works as it says it does that'll be one instance.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Yes purchasing a digital copy of the game requires an Internet connection. Playing the game does not.

I'm actually curious about how "save states" end up working out in practice on the Xbox One. Obviously, I don't expect to instantly switch between a ton of games or whatever with 0 loading times, but I could potentially see switching between 4 games without having to do the full "boot-up, watch 5 legal and logo screens, watch the intro cutscene that hides some caching, and then finally get the menu". Maybe the most recent suspended game is instant, while the other 3 would take 5-10 seconds?

Just as a test, I loaded up a level on 4 separate smaller iPhone 5 games, and was able to switch between them, and they would all be waiting on that same level on the pause screen. Seems like anything beyond that though, it would have to do the full reload.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The more I hear about Xbox One the cooler it sounds and the more appealing it is to me. As far as the way the OS works, it honestly seems better thought out and more seamless than the PS4. The two things that still make me lean towards the PS4 are:

1. The PS4 has superior hardware
2. The PS4 has a superior stable of first-party developers

If it turns out that Xbox One can achieve parity with PS4 for multiplat performance then I may actually lean towards the One, but as it stands I think the PS4 provides the better gaming experience.

Sorry to nag you for further clarification but I'm genuinely curious.

Do BOTH games have to be purchased digitally? Or would it be possible to switch between games if only one of them is digital.

Great question, and that exact scenario was why I put in the CYA statement around "some details to be worked out" :)

I'm not sure the answer. I'll know more later.

ToyBroker

Banned
I'm actually curious about how "save states" end up working out in practice on the Xbox One. Obviously, I don't expect to instantly switch between a ton of games or whatever with 0 loading times, but I could potentially see switching between 4 games without having to do the full "boot-up, watch 5 legal and logo screens, watch the intro cutscene that hides some caching, and then finally get the menu". Maybe the most recent suspended game is instant, while the other 3 would take 5-10 seconds?

Just as a test, I loaded up a level on 4 separate smaller iPhone 5 games, and was able to switch between them, and they would all be waiting on that same level on the pause screen. Seems like anything beyond that though, it would have to do the full reload.

I highly doubt that'll happen.

Albert earlier said you could swap between 2 games.

Then in his second bigger post he said you can be between 2 apps and then never once mentioned between 2 games. So something tells me he's either confused, or perhaps talking it up a little bit.

|
V

Great question, and that exact scenario was why I put in the CYA statement around "some details to be worked out" :)

I'm not sure the answer. I'll know more later.

Yeah so up in the air atm. I wonder if this is even a launch feature :/

I think game performance will be something we will have to "wait and see" in regards to multiplatform titles. We just don't have any real hard evidence as to whether developers are going to again be developing in tune to the lower specced console or what. Guess that is why I'll "hopefully" be waiting a few months before grabbing the two consoles, but I have a feeling I probably won't be able to help myself and pre-order the Xbox One.

I can't imagine a developer specifically toning back their creation for the sake of platform parity. Just about every multiplatform game this generation had a clear winner. That will happen this gen as well--especially with the difference we have.

eorl

Banned
The more I hear about Xbox One the cooler it sounds and the more appealing it is to me. As far as the way the OS works, it honestly seems better thought out and more seamless than the PS4. The two things that still make me lean towards the PS4 are:

1. The PS4 has superior hardware
2. The PS4 has a superior stable of first-party developers

If it turns out that Xbox One can achieve parity with PS4 for multiplat performance then I may actually lean towards the One, but as it stands I think the PS4 provides the better gaming experience.
I think game performance will be something we will have to "wait and see" in regards to multiplatform titles. We just don't have any real hard evidence as to whether developers are going to again be developing in tune to the lower specced console or what. Guess that is why I'll "hopefully" be waiting a few months before grabbing the two consoles, but I have a feeling I probably won't be able to help myself and pre-order the Xbox One.

Top Bottom