• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, they didn't go after specific marketing deals. I do remember their Kevin Butler ads making fun of the competition, though.

But selective memory.
Also, thinking outside the box is looked down upon now? It's declasse?
Weird.

Fat4all

Banned
Major Nelson will forever be a douche nozzle to me. Nothing he does seems genuine.

That's harsh (I'm getting a lot of use out of that word this thread). He posts here and behaves himself, personally he's never really been one to get to involved in the politics of it all. He has fun, and seems like a good community kind of guy.

Also, thinking outside the box is looked down upon now? It's declasse?

It's not so much thinking outside the box as it is kicking the box and wishing you were in it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's not so much thinking outside the box as it is kicking the box and wishing you were in it.
That spin. :D
The box, in any situation regarding the advice, is something you want to escape, not crawl back in, lol. :p

philz

Jesus I'm glad my job isn't trying to serve a bunch of gamers. The hatred for this guy on neogaf (and honestly who gives a shit if this particular video was funny or not) is ridic. Let's replay events for a moment:

MN is a popular gaming figurehead for a company that announces a new console with a bunch of changes to the status quo of gaming that the community largely reads as being pretty dick. Yeah he doesn't come across great in some of the videos explaining the changes, but it's his fucking job to tow the party line. This does NOT make him a bad human being.

Sony smartly capitalizes on these changes and makes a serious effort to accommodate the gamers that were alienated by MS's fuckery. MS at some point clearly realizes they fucked up.

Sea change at MS where everyone from the CEO on down (including replacement of the Xbox head) turns 180 degrees (seemingly at least) and starts focusing on the people actually using the shit they sell. The Balmer days of strategic product leverage in the worst fucking way appear to be over (see: Office on iOS).

MN is still a dude that clearly likes games and now has the added benefit of working for a company that isn't evil.

I am a PC+PS4+Wii U+New 3DS gamer that looks at the reactions on this forum and am dumbfounded. We have two major console makers that are now focused on us. I honestly believe that the vitriol on neogaf is hurting gaming.

As juniors, we mustn't question it.

yeah im learning lol

being a junior or a full member has nothing to do with your level of competence, it just means you were able to survive the time/post period by not posting something to get negative attention from mods.

GAF isn't 'meant to be above' any other place, but it's a much more heavily moderated site than others, especially when it comes to offtopic side.

Yjynx

hmm this is kind of pathetic. Instead of doing this couldn't they market their other game a lot more?

Kind of feels like a sore loser clinging to something.

philz

For us Enterprise users MS is still MS - and in fact is more Gates-era MS with some of the deep ties in the stack between W10 & Server...but I digress into areas konsole kids know little of...

This video makes me think 'cool teacher' for some reason, but whatever, you can't ascribe a culture change across a whole corporation the size of MS from one wacky piece of what used to be called guerrilla marketing by a single regional division of a small part of MS' overall portfolio.

Culture change for me comes across in both the Win10 release and Xbox changes. The way they marketed (blogged) and released Win10 was as unlike Microsoft as you can get (personally I don't think it was ready). My sense is that MS on the whole is somewhat rudderless now. But they're not evil and that's a definite fucking improvement.

As an aside, I was an AD+Exchange admin for a large bank in a past life.

Err, he said some of those who hate it is because they are biased, not all of the ones that hate it.
How did you get to that?!

I get it, but it's silly to single out his idea of console warriors with that little quote... He could have just said "I know some of you hate it" and left it at that... To add that in there was just more console warriors stuff people were already complaining about in this thread...

Major is smart, he knew what he was doing, just sliding a little jab in there to stir the pot...

That's harsh (I'm getting a lot of use out of that word this thread). He posts here and behaves himself, personally he's never really been one to get to involved in the politics of it all. He has fun, and seems like a good community kind of guy.

Sorry, I was a HUGE Xbox fan. I loved the OG and when the 360 came out I couldn't wait to get it. My first exposure to the Major was the infamous E3 video with him and Angry Joe. Now, I'm not an Angry Joe fan at all, but that incident combined with all the X360 vs PS3 propaganda from him, just makes me cringe. I am probably wrong, but it seems like he used to be an independent blogger turned MS mouthpiece? or was he always on their payroll? Please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Fat4all

Banned
Sorry, I was a HUGE Xbox fan. I loved the OG and when the 360 came out I couldn't wait to get it. My first exposure to the Major was the infamous E3 video with him and Angry Joe. Now, I'm not an Angry Joe fan at all, but that incident combined with all the X360 vs PS3 propaganda from him, just makes me cringe. I am probably wrong, but it seems like he used to be an independent blogger turned MS mouthpiece? or was he always on their payroll? Please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

He's the Director of Programming, basically the community face of Xbox, as he decides, creates and produces their advertising front on the internet. He joined MS in 2001.

EDIT: he also lead a team that invented "Achievements".

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Major is smart, he knew what he was doing, just sliding a little jab in there to stir the pot...

Dis right here. Without that deft hand this might not have made it past page 2.

And we will all be clowns when they release the Scalebound marketing and Major is riding an actual MSBioLabs engineered dragon above Redmond.

Nevermind I hate the video.

d9b

Banned
SMaFJXo.png
Lol!!!

Glad a few of you enjoyed this little piece they asked me to shoot when I was in Germany last week.

I know some of you will hate it (because you dislike me, Xbox, Microsoft or a combination of the three) but we were just having a bit of fun.

I'll take my light saber and show myself out.

Very blunt, I like that. That said, nothing wrong with having a little fun. People need to get a sense of humor.

And I'm sure this comment is going to get a lot of criticism, but we can't also act like what was said isn't absolutely true for some posters.

He's the Director of Programming, basically the community face of Xbox. He joined MS in 2001.

Ok, that makes more sense. I just never heard of him until the PS4/XB1 reveal. Basically his Angry Joe moment and this misdirection will forever taint him with me.

Varjis

Attack of the Cringe

Cringe in a dorky way? Sure. Was it a silly video that I'm sure they had fun with but was kind of hammy? Yes. Does everything have to be a thread nowadays? Apparently.

Cringeworthy to me is this old Playstation 3 marketing campaign from 2007.. I still remember this thing 8 years later for being so wacko...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psd8oVToS8k

Now has MS done crazy ads too? Yes, this one just stuck with me.. mostly because I was like, is that Clifton Collins Jr.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom