• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man freed from jail after 32 years for wrongful murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock if old

LA judge tosses murder conviction, orders prisoner's release after 32 years - California

1489698785616.jpg

A man who served 32 years in prison for a crime he says he did not commit has told Sky News he never gave up believing he would be released.

Andrew Wilson, 62, walked free from a jail in Los Angeles after a judge threw out his murder conviction and vacated his sentence.

He is likely to be formally cleared of the charge within a few weeks.

Mr Wilson was convicted of robbing and killing 21-year-old Christopher Hanson as he slept in a parked car with his girlfriend in south-central Los Angeles in October 1984.
Prosecutors admitted that a series of errors had prevented Mr Wilson from receiving a fair trial. They are not expected to take any further action against him.
The court heard that key evidence had been withheld from the jury during the original trial including that which showed Mr Hanson's girlfriend was not a credible witness.

Sky Article
Fox Article

I'm going to call bullshit on a "series of errors." He's a better man than me though. He doesn't want to pursue the people responsible, but he might claim compensation against the state later.

EDIT:

More details from the LA Times:

“This case is like something you would see on TV,” said Laurie Levenson of Loyola Law School’s Project for the Innocent, which championed Wilson’s case. “It has everything from bad witness identification, not turning over impeachment evidence, having a theory and marching toward it, officers putting a full-court press on witnesses.”
The defense contends that Wilson did not commit the crime, and on May 3, the judge is expected to hold a hearing to begin the process of determining whether Wilson is factually innocent — a designation he needs to receive compensation from the state.
Law enforcement determined Bishop was “a liar,” according to court documents, after she filed a false police report accusing another man of kidnapping and attempted rape, Mitchell said. That information, however, was never turned over to the defense.

Maximus P

Honest question here as I don't know how the law works in the states, but can he get compensation for this? Like, will they set him up with a home and a pension? It would be awfully difficult to live a normal life at 62 when youve been locked away for the last 32 years with no savings or assets.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Honest question here as I don't know how the law works in the states, but can he get compensation for this? Like, will they set him up with a home and a pension? It would be awfully difficult to live a normal life at 62 when youve been locked away for the last 32 years with no savings or assets.

From the Sky News article linked in OP:

A court will decide in May whether Mr Wilson should now be ruled innocent of the crime. That would open the way for him to receive compensation from the state of California.

"I don't have time to waste being mad or thinking of something negative. Life is too short."

He says, after having 32 years taken away from him.

I think the maximum is $100 a day so still not very much for losing what should be the best year of your life.

StayDead

I couldn't imagine losing 32 years of your freedom for a crime you didn't commit, especially in America where prisoners are treated no better than animals.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
And this ladies and gentlemen is one of the main, absolutely terrifying reasons as to why capital punishment is a horrendous notion in modern society.

This gentleman received some vindication in the end, even though he was robbed of half his life during the process.

Imagine those poor individuals who were executed while innocent. Such a scary thought.

guess he'll get like 5000 $ for his trouble, better than nothing right?

what an horrible judicial system

he's finally free at least...

32 years...

This man should literally be given a home, millions of dollars and allowed to live the rest of his life in luxury.

More details from the LA Times:

“This case is like something you would see on TV,” said Laurie Levenson of Loyola Law School’s Project for the Innocent, which championed Wilson’s case. “It has everything from bad witness identification, not turning over impeachment evidence, having a theory and marching toward it, officers putting a full-court press on witnesses.”
The defense contends that Wilson did not commit the crime, and on May 3, the judge is expected to hold a hearing to begin the process of determining whether Wilson is factually innocent — a designation he needs to receive compensation from the state.
Law enforcement determined Bishop was “a liar,” according to court documents, after she filed a false police report accusing another man of kidnapping and attempted rape, Mitchell said. That information, however, was never turned over to the defense.

Yeesh,poor man.After so many years he may struggle on the outside,damn feel sorry for him.At least hope he's heavily compinsated

Be pro death penalty when shit likes this happens bruhs. I await a great argument from pro deathers.

I knew he was black upon reading the thread title.

Zen Aku

Thats a little bit cheap? How's he suppose to live? They took his life away, no one will hire this guy.
I'm being realistic. California will only give him a maximum of $100 per day of wrongful incarceration.

Actually... If that's the case $100 multiply by 32 years. He should get $1,168,000.

I'm being realistic. California will only give him a maximum of $100 per day of wrongful incarceration.

Actually... If that's the case $100 multiply by 32 years. He should get $1,168,000.

He should get 5x that amount released in monthly or weekly chunks over the next 10 years imho. Or they could calculate what his possible income would have been over that time period, taking into consideration promotions and opportunities for higher pay. Then add that on top of damages.

nkarafo

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. They wasted half of his life, there is nothing they can do to compensate for his loss.

Zen Aku

He should get 5x that amount released in monthly or weekly chunks over the next 10 years imho.
I'm cool with him getting $5 mil over 10 years. $500,000 per year sounds good. I really hope he'll be able to make the best of his life and that he'll have a long one.

Think of how many other black men are locked up in jail because of petty, mediocre white testimonies

To me this is more about how the police had a theory and forced a conviction, even going as far to break the law. The sad thing is you're definatley not wrong. A huge part of his conviction probably was due to race.

Usobuko

Banned
To be frank, I click this thread just to see if it's was a black man.

Losing 32 years of your life for dishonest testimony just like that.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The man's life has been hell and is now damn near over. 32 years is a hell of a lot of life to steal from someone. He likely has no marketable skills and even so he should be retiring about now. I really hope he gets compensated enough to live comfortably for the rest of his days.

dbztrk

This is one of the reasons why I cannot support the death penalty. Imagine if he was given that and later on it came to light that he was innocent. You can never right that wrong.

I'm happy that he has been given his freedom back. However, he has suffered for 32 years. I hope he receives monetary compensation and free mental health care because I cannot imagine the tole of being locked up for that long can have on a person.

Sölf

Season 2 of Making a Murderer, right here. 32 years, jesus... I am glad he finally is out, but his whole life is over.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/us/wrongful-convictions-race-exoneration.html

Since 1989,of the 2000 exonerated prisoners, 50% of those exonerated for murder were Black (36% were White), 60% of those exonerated for sex crimes were Black (33% were White) and 55% of those exonerated for drug crimes were Black. (25% were White)
Black men also had to wait, on averge, 3 years longer than Whites for their innocence to be maintained.

31% of the overturned murder convictions for Blacks involved a White murder victim.

Hiding evidence, witness tampering and perjury played a role in 76% of overturned murder convictions for Blacks. The same factors played a role in 63% of overturbed murder convictions for Whites.

Hard. Data. Matters.

Unacceptable and it is disgusting what has happened to happened to him. Suffering for that long and forced to sacrifice three decades of your life for an act that you did not commit.

While he is much more peaceful than I am, I agree with the sentiment about getting something from the state. Hopefully he can live beyond comfortably once this is all settled.

I'm getting strong The Shawshank Redemption vibes...

maxresdefault.jpg

Being wrongfully convicted and living in prison must be traumatizing, but leaving after that much time has to be a real shock.

While I'm also interested in if he will be able to reclaim the rights that you normally lose after being a designated as a felon, such as voting rights etc, I really hope he is able to find a way to fit into the world and is provided financial/psychological means to do so.

I can't even imagine trying to reintegrate into the world after spending 32 years locked away from it.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/us/wrongful-convictions-race-exoneration.html

Since 1989,of the 2000 exonerated prisoners, 50% of those exonerated for murder were Black (36% were White), 60% of those exonerated for sex crimes were Black (33% were White) and 55% of those exonerated for drug crimes were Black. (25% were White)
Black men also had to wait, on averge, 3 years longer than Whites for their innocence to be maintained.

31% of the overturned murder convictions for Blacks involved a White murder victim.

Hiding evidence, witness tampering and perjury played a role in 76% of overturned murder convictions for Blacks. The same factors played a role in 63% of overturbed murder convictions for Whites.

Hard. Data. Matters.

The saddest part about all of this is how much of an unsurprising trend it continues to be.

Man, hope he gets some kind of compensation and hopefully somekind of help...cause if you think about it, when he got into prison...mobile phones, flatscreens and the internet werent around...

And this ladies and gentlemen is one of the main, absolutely terrifying reasons as to why capital punishment is a horrendous notion in modern society.

This gentleman received some vindication in the end, even though he was robbed of half his life during the process.

Imagine those poor individuals who were executed while innocent. Such a scary thought.

Yes, it is the greatest injustice. It's why I agree with the necessity of a high burden of proof for conviction. If some guilty go free that is regrettable, but an innocent person being imprisoned and executed is a tragedy and turns the state into a criminal murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom