• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man freed from jail after 32 years for wrongful murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Compensation should be in the upper 7 figure area, imo. His life is basically ruined, a comfortable rest of his life is all they can give.

32 years.

And he's keeping a positive mindset.

I don't know how he does it. Friends gone, family probably all gone. World moved on. If they told me I was being released after 30 years because of a mistake, their safest course of action is to keep me in because I'd kill every single person who contributed to my false imprisonment. Only the right amount of money would stay my hand - I'm talking in the millions - because God and all notions of the afterlife fly out my window.

We just cant get a fucking break in this world. After thirty two years, no amount of money will ever be enough to make up for what this corrupt justice system did to this man and other minorities to this day. Everyone responsible for this crime should be given the same amount years in jail.

32 years of life taken away? Yeah fuck that, good for him though for not getting mad about it. I'd go on an unhinged revenge murder spree.

I mean that's pretty much the best years of your life in a prison, doing what you gottah do to survive. This guy deserves at least 20 million in settlement money.

Plum

I don't know what's the worst part about this story: that I just knew he was going to be black before clicking on the thread; that he likely won't get nearly enough compensation (if any); or that it's incredibly likely that a pretty major percentage of all Americans will still think he did it, and tread him accordingly. Just disgusting, all of it.

Whatever money the man receives, I'm sure it will feel bitterly hollow. At least he got to see his mother at age 96 before she passed.

These stories always make me feel something indescribable for now. I haven't even lived 32 years yet and it's such a long time especially for him since he was already a certain. Age when being convicted.

He should be given a big house, a car, enough money for the rest of HIS life and whatever else.

These stories always make me feel something indescribable for now. I haven't even lived 32 years yet and it's such a long time especially for him since he was already a certain. Age when being convicted.

He should be given a big house, a car, enough money for the rest of HIS life and whatever else.

Moreover, he needs the most sincere and elaborate apology ceremony from anyone involved that is still active in the legal system.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Moreover, he needs the most sincere and elaborate apology ceremony from anyone involved that is still active in the legal system.
They're not going to give him an apology. They still think he's not innocent, they are just admitting they didn't give him a fair trial.

The district attorney’s office does not intend to refile charges against Wilson, but in a letter to the Judge last week made it “explicitly clear” that while they believe the record shows Wilson was “denied a fundamentally fair trial,” the office does not believe he is “factually innocent.”

Hopefully the millions of dollars he sues for will suffice as an apology.

This man deserves compensation for the unfair trial and time spent in prison.

I believe the state / federal government should be penalized for their lackadaisical views towards prison trials and sentences by having to recompense anyone wrongfully convicted or given an unfair trial.

I wish people were more willing to admit when they were wrong too. Could've saved this guy 32 years or so.

SeanC

That's simultaneously fantastic but incredibly sad. He still had his life stripped from him.

Give him all the money and set him up for the rest of his life.

Rembrandt

Banned
32 years. Fuck. I couldn't imagine what's going through his mind. They wasted a third of his life. Probably most connections to the outside world are gone.

____

Knew he was a brother. I just knew it.

Didn't need to click the thread to know, either.

My brother did 9 years for something he didn't do, and ended up having a lawyer after thousands and thousands of dollars of legal representation, case dismissed and released. He missed all of his 20's for someone else's bullshit mistake, and he's definitely a different person (for the worse) having gone through it.

This kind of shit rips me apart, man.

RinsFury

Knew he was a brother. I just knew it.

Knew there was a 99% chance before clicking the thread.

This is heartbreaking, I'm actually crying here. This man had his entire life stolen away from him, there's nothing they can do to replace that. Pay him, make him a rich man, but it's still an empty gesture after what they did to him. Fucking bastards that did this, I hope they burn in hell.

Hazmat

I hope he has some people waiting for him. These stories usually have two unchanging factors: it's a black man, and the only person still waiting for them is their mother, but he's already so old...

Unforgivable.

scitek

I hope he has some people waiting for him. These stories usually have two unchanging factors: it's a black man, and the only person still waiting for them is their mother, but he's already so old...

Unforgivable.

His mother is waiting for him. She said she needs some help around the house, so he'll have chores when he gets back. She's 96.

Fuck money. No amount of money can buy back am entire lifetime. This man's life was stolen from him and I hope he makes the state and those responsible that are still around pay for that fact.

Fuck money. No amount of money can buy back am entire lifetime. This man's life was stolen from him and I hope he makes the state and those responsible that are still around pay for that fact.

No not 'Fuck money'. As you said, no amount of money can buy back a lifetime, but NOTHING at all can buy back that lifetime, so he needs some compensation, and that should come with the city raining dollars on his ass so whatever life he has left is comfortable.

They should also call a press conference and give a formal apology, but not before opening those coffers and giving him at least 1 million for every year he was imprisoned.

Syf

Banned
It's crazy to think he was imprisoned for longer than I've been alive for a crime he didn't commit. Hope he gets some outstanding compensation.

Be pro death penalty when shit likes this happens bruhs. I await a great argument from pro deathers.

I knew he was black upon reading the thread title.

32. Years.

Reason #11768 to abolish the death penalty.

It's #1 in my book, beyond all others. Once a person is executed, there's no taking back injustice. At least he has a chance for some sort of life, however abridged.

Co-signed. Cases like this will always stand out in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom