• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man in Joker Makeup Charged with Felony for 'Wearing Mask'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea that they say you can open carry a sword. As opposed to, like, carefully hiding your sword where it can't be seen.

wait since when is wearing a mask a felony?

"The law dates back at least 70 years as an attempt to curtail the Ku Klux Klan."

MUnited83

For you.
Can't say I feel sorry for him, even if it is an extreme punishment. It looks like he's intentionally trying to scare people.
Open carrying pieces of shit try to scare people all the fucking time and they don't get any punishment whatsoever.

td3gx7ddvcl2itkgghix.jpg

Why so serious?

Acerac

Banned
I'm OK with this. This dude seemed like he was gonna get up to some shit. The author of this article is bending backwards to give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

*Nods*

Though I think the punishment is a bit lax? Perhaps life in prison would be more appropriate for this act.

I'm OK with this. This dude seemed like he was gonna get up to some shit. The author of this article is bending backwards to give this guy the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah who cares about that whole innocent until proven guilty thing.. Especially when nothing actually happened.

Nepenthe

There's mask laws all over- as a costumer, I have to be aware of them. However, appealing to them over facepaint is bullshit.

However, carrying a real sword around while dressed as the Joker is creepy AF so I'm not surprised someone called the cops.

Phased

Yeah this was definitely about the sword and not the makeup. They still shouldn't have arrested him since he didn't do anything wrong (looking menacing isn't actually a crime)

I don't think these charges will stick

Aselith

As far as the logic of this arrest goes, makeup like that is a mask that is a felony. She is clearly disguised from her true identity in that make up. Clearly, this is the act of a felon.

Her makeup doesn't disguise her features they just subtly alter them and her original shot is still recognizably her and doesn't disguise her identity

Two Words

Her makeup doesn't disguise her features they just subtly alter them and her original shot is still recognizably her and doesn't disguise her identity
There is no way that anybody would identify the first picture and last picture as the same person if they had no prior knowledge of the person. She has fully covered her face in makeup. The makeup is literally designed to alter the features of her face. Many people use makeup to look completely different. This isn't news. Let's not pretend that some don't do this.

Hawkguy

Neo Member
Hey this happened in my town! From what I understand he was in front of the Mission BBQ for a while, customers got uncomfortable and it was the business manager that called the cops. I think the arrest is an overreaction. The guy is probably going to lose his job now.

It's weird but this area seems to have some weird fascination with clowns. It's cooled off a little bit now, but last fall you would hear multiple reports per week of people in clown masks scaring people at night.

http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Front-Royal-man-arrested-for-wearing-clown-mask-394053381.html

So I think the arrest was more of a statement in regards to these instances rather than this guy actually breaking any laws.

Kurdel

Banned
Remember that time a couple dressed as Joke and Harley Quinn shot a cop in LA?

enhanced-1694-1402341816-32.jpg

Or that guy in Belgium who murdered a bunch of kids dressed as the Joker?

The whole mask vs. Makeup thing is ridiculous, but I understand people feeling cautious around someone casually wearing full serial killer makeup on the street if there isn't a Con or particular reason.

Two Words

Remember that time a couple dressed as Joke and Harley Quinn shot a cop in LA?

enhanced-1694-1402341816-32.jpg

Or that guy in Belgium who murdered a bunch of kids dressed as the Joker?

The whole mask vs. Makeup thing is ridiculous, but I understand people feeling cautious around someone casually wearing full serial killer makeup on the street if there isn't a Con or particular reason.
Lets just go ahead and co-opt all clothing and masks/makeup that some killers used to now be a signal of being a killer then.....

Cocaloch

The issue isn't people feeling cautious, it's someone getting arrested. This is obviously not okay.

akira28

yeah don't do that in Winchester. They're kind of still on that bridge gap back to the mid to late 20th century.

Does this mean that luchadores can't work in Virginia?

fear of brown men in cut out masks were used as a social battering ram against the economic malaise of the 70s in Virginia, so...not outdoors, no.

the law is plainly absurd even if the original intent (anti-KKK measure) had some merit

I hope he pushes back legally, it would be interesting to read appeals court language on the law.

The Cowboy

America is weird, walking around with guns is no probs at all, wearing scary makeup is a felony.

Just bizarre.

Have to say, it's a hell of a version of the Joker - he looks proper menacing.

MsKrisp

According to VirginiaCode 18.2-422: “It shall be unlawful for any person over 16 years of age, with the intent to conceal his identity, wear any mask, hood, or other device, whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered, so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth, without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment, or other activities, and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood, or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon (a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath, and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device, and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary, and providing a brief description of the device, or (b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency, where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver. The violation of any provisions of this section is a Class 6 felony.”

Underappreciated post
If you have a reason to wear a mask, you're good. Cosplayers will be fine :p

The law's origins were to curtail kkk activity. It's in the snippet in the op. While the kkk may not be bold enough to do it broad daylight anymore, modern day applications include curtailing furry activity. Seems fair enough to me.

Huh, learn something new every day.

MsKrisp

Recreation was not an enumerated reason in that.

Okay, then refer to people out here that cosplay that have never had an issue, between attending events, going to and fro, and eating at restaurants. This is not a charge the police hand out easily.

It's one thing to be walking around a shopping center by yourself, or wandering around some random neighborhood at night with a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom