• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man mistakenly released from prison asks judge to reduce his 98-year sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar case happened in Missouri. In his case he never went to prison and 13 years later the state realized the error and locked him up. He never committed a crime during that 13 years and the judge agreed (along with the victim).

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/an-oversight-allowed-a-convicted-man-to-walk-free-for-thirteen-years-now-the-justice-system-wants-to-restart-the-clock/Content?oid=2506702

Edit: to show how messed up sentencing is, this case was also armed robbery and he received 13 years
That dude actually was allowed to stay free, so that was good.

Yeah, can't say I care if he's released to never serve anymore of the sentence. 98 years for a fucking video store robbery hurts my head, even 20-30 years seems like an absurdity. The guy seems to be living a normal life and is no longer a threat to society, I can sleep at night if he's released.

I think the glimmer of hope here is the judge sounds reasonable enough to say he wants to review everything, I agree it still sucks and he's stuck in jail without a clear time limit from the judge but I at least have a thread of hope that the right thing is done since most judges would probably laugh in his face and already have locked him up so at least this person is attempting to think about the situation.

bman94

God damn. Reading the title I'm imagining this guy killed a dozen people, but fucking 98 years for robbery at the age of 19?

98 years for that is totally fucked. I hope they don't lock him up again, although I know they probably will. Shit, the other guy should be released under probationary terms as well. I feel like the judge who issued that should be looked into, too often they have ties to for-profit prisons.

n64coder

Consecutive sentencing is such a ridiculous notion. 98 fucking years? That's a life sentence.

Anyone saying the guy (or anyone) deserves to serve that for a not-violent robbery is just insane.

How is it decided that a sentence is to be served consecutively versus concurrently? I would think consecutive would be only for the Jeffrey Dahmers of the world.

The original sentence is insanely excessive. Life in prison for a robbery committed at age 19 in which no-one got hurt.

that's exactly what I was thinking too. there has to be more to it... how the hell can a person get 98 years for this? there's rapist and low degree murderers who get way less than this.

our justice system is shit. they need to be focusing on rehabilitation. so unfortunate we live in a country which would rather imprison people for lengthy terms for no reason other than greed (private prisons, prison labor, etc).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Fuck that shit, dude she be free now.

Those sentences should have been concurrent from the get-go.

Putting people in jail the first time should be fully about rehabilitation... if someone fucks up after that by committing violent crimes then toss the book at them.

There's no reason someone should be doing 98 years on a robbery charge.

10 years is a fair sentence... 10 years is a fucking long time.

that's exactly what I was thinking too. there has to be more to it... how the hell can a person get 98 years for this? there's rapist and low degree murderers who get way less than this.

our justice system is shit. they need to be focusing on rehabilitation. so unfortunate.

No, there's not... though it was 3 chargers of robbery x 10 years, 3 kidnapping charges (for moving the people) for 16 each, and 2 x 10 years for burglary. So that's 98.

Nothing else... just robbed some blockbusters or what not and got 98 years.

Hyun Sai

I honestly expected some mass rape / torture / murder or some kind when I saw 98 years.

At the "robbery no one got hurt", I instantly guessed : Minority.

Jackpot, and God bless America

Jay Sosa

Lima-Marin, 38, was sentenced to 98 years for his role in a pair of 1998 video store robberies when he was 19 years old. No one was hurt during the robberies and Lima-Marin claimed the gun used was unloaded.

What in the world?

I always thought there is some kind of max sentence for certain crimes? Surely it isn't a 98 years for a non-violent robbery?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The original sentence is insanely excessive. Life in prison for a robbery committed at age 19 in which no-one got hurt.

Agreed. There must be more there than we know. But as it is, most states have a 3 strike gun policy when it comes to crime.

If he's shown good faith and hasn't committed anymore crimes and doesn't in the future, I say let him off. As soon as he does a crime and gets fingered? Yeah, throw the book and full sentence at him. But I doubt he will. My worry with that though, is that cops would find a way to try to finger him for a crime.

This is nuts. Armed robbery in which nobody was injured should be 5-10 years, tops. Counselling, rehab, etc.. should have been the focus here, not jail time. Rapists and child abusers get shorter sentences for fuck sakes.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Was reading his crime waiting for a double murder or something. 98 years for armed robbery at 19 is insane.

Seriously. I consider myself tough on crime, and I do think of prison as being as punishment as much as it's for rehabilitation, but that sentence is insane.

Chumly

I can't believe the fucking prosecutor decided to go back to make sure that this robber was still serving a life fucking sentence. On top of it got butt hurt and decided and push to get him back in jail. I mean really?

Most guns being passed around are either for intimidation or for an actual hit. More the former than the latter. If you are robbing someone it's for your addiction/gain not cos you want to kill.

Some dumb shit can go down if someone gets scared and shoots off their gun.

98 years, yeah the Cats are sending messages to the mice.

Years

lots of those boys out there doing more work for less time.

But yeah let's throw someone back into jail who walked away from street shit.

Air

Banned
What an insane story. I can't really understand how they got to 98 years. Dude must have been robbing the biggest banks and crashed the housing market

Luminaire

I really hope the judge is a human being and realizes this man has been rehabilitated and is a functioning member of society now.

edit:
"Three counts of armed robbery got him 10 years each for a total of 30 years. It’s a crime that normally carries a term of just four to 16 years.
The convictions also included three counts of kidnapping, each carrying 16 years.
Rich Orman, Senior Deputy DA with the 18th Judicial District says Lima-Marin was charged with kidnapping because he moved three people from the front of the store to the back.
He also got 10 years each for two counts of burglary.
The Colorado State Public Defender says had Lima-Marin’s case been prosecuted today, he’d likely get a more reasonable offer of between 20 to 30 years."
http://kdvr.com/2014/06/04/court-mi...-back-for-90-years-after-turning-life-around/
Wow, yeah that's really unfair.

20-30 years

reasonable

yeahok.gif

I'd consider it violent if a gun was pointed at me.

which is why no one that has a gun pointed at them gets to consider the sentence of those who did the pointing.

If I got mistakenly released from a sentence like that, I'd first check with a lawyer to see if they screwed up, and then my ass would drive straight to Mexico.
extradition treaty tho

Magni

When I read 98 years, I thought this guy had done a triple-murder or something like that.

That original sentence is absolutely ridiculous. He's done his time, he actually managed to get his life on track and start becoming a contributing to society, and now we want to spend money to get him back in jail, tear apart his family, and stop him from being a productive member of society?

How does any of this make sense?

edit:
with kidnapping because he moved three people from the front of the store to the back.

Wow.

gblues

Banned
But Lima-Marin’s second chance was taken away when his accidental release was discovered in 2014 after his former prosecutor happened to check on his whereabouts

"Happened to check."

The case was in 1998. 16 years later the prosecutor is like "man I wonder what happened to that guy I put away for 98 years... WHAT THE FUCK?!" Like, for real?

Both the original sentence and the "coincidental" follow-up that discovered the early release sound shady as hell. I hope he gets that shit thrown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom