• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man resists arrest and fights back cops (video)

Sunster

TwJosC6.png
insightful comment, ryan

F34R

but seriously, who here hasn't seen the independent audits of arrest records that show that cops straight up lie about the races of their arrests to make the stats whiter.

That doesn't happen where I worked. That's a guarantee. We had an Admin Captain that his sole job was to make sure all the paperwork from every report filed was 100% accurate before it gets send to SLED via NIBRS.

My department would throw your ass under the bus, quick too. Look, we had a complaint come in that one of the officers was rude to a store employee while taking a report. They said who the officer was. No questions asked, officer suspended without pay, 3 days. Well, guess waht. The officer they said was rude, and was suspended, wasn't even working that day. They looked at the body cam, and looked on the dispatch log to see who was there. Sure enough, it wasn't even the officer who was named. Didn't even waive the suspension. Then they suspended the other officer. What was he being rude about? The footage showed that he answered a question, in a really polite way when the lady was being belligerent and profane because she wasn't getting her way. He did everything by the book, and still got suspended; AND the other officer was also suspended still.

Just because it has happened elsewhere doesn't mean that everyone does it. The way you say

I don't generalize for anything. I don't go around seeing someone African-American and think they are a criminal because 90% of the crimes reported where I worked were committed by African-Americans. I worked my ass off doing the right thing, no matter what the crime was, no matter what the race was.

Shit, there are plenty of people I put in prison that see me on the streets and thank me to this day for treating them with respect, doing my job the way I did it. I still go to neighborhoods and talk with the kids, see how they are doing.

... and yet, I'm the problem.

ColdPizza

Banned
That doesn't happen where I worked. That's a guarantee. We had an Admin Captain that his sole job was to make sure all the paperwork from every report filed was 100% accurate before it gets send to SLED via NIBRS.

My department would throw your ass under the bus, quick too. Look, we had a complaint come in that one of the officers was rude to a store employee while taking a report. They said who the officer was. No questions asked, officer suspended without pay, 3 days. Well, guess waht. The officer they said was rude, and was suspended, wasn't even working that day. They looked at the body cam, and looked on the dispatch log to see who was there. Sure enough, it wasn't even the officer who was named. Didn't even waive the suspension. Then they suspended the other officer. What was he being rude about? The footage showed that he answered a question, in a really polite way when the lady was being belligerent and profane because she wasn't getting her way. He did everything by the book, and still got suspended; AND the other officer was also suspended still.

Just because it has happened elsewhere doesn't mean that everyone does it. The way you say

I don't generalize for anything. I don't go around seeing someone African-American and think they are a criminal because 90% of the crimes reported where I worked were committed by African-Americans. I worked my ass off doing the right thing, no matter what the crime was, no matter what the race was.

Shit, there are plenty of people I put in prison that see me on the streets and thank me to this day for treating them with respect, doing my job the way I did it. I still go to neighborhoods and talk with the kids, see how they are doing.

Well, your institution is the problem. You were the exception to the rule. Even the "good" cops still won't turn in their fellow cops for illegal activities. Why aren't you a cop anymore?

commedieu

Banned
That doesn't happen where I worked. That's a guarantee. My department would throw your ass under the bus, quick too. Look, we had a complaint come in that one of the officers was rude to a store employee while taking a report. They said who the officer was. No questions asked, officer suspended without pay, 3 days. Well, guess waht. The officer they said was rude, and was suspended, wasn't even working that day. They looked at the body cam, and looked on the dispatch log to see who was there. Sure enough, it wasn't even the officer who was named. Didn't even waive the suspension. Then they suspended the other officer. What was he being rude about? The footage showed that he answered a question, in a really polite way when the lady was being belligerent and profane because she wasn't getting her way. He did everything by the book, and still got suspended; AND the other officer was also suspended still.

no. you're the % doing their job, as you're supposed to. A lot of people don't have your pov. Its a systemic issue, you're just a cog in a wheel of statistical injustice toward minorities. If the majority of police were like you, there wouldn't be statistical data proving otherwise. You're aware that corrupt police departments exist, and that those are the problems. They just happen to exist nationwide. So when you're trying to defend bullshit PD with a story about how like everyone else, you do the job you're hired for, it comes off a little, well, thats what you're supposed to do.

A lot of officers don't act correctly, and have no accountability as we've watched, and have seen historically.

We all have reports showing what happens when good police try to narc on others. Its a fucked up institution that has roots of problems.

F34R

If he was sued then wouldn't they be using the auditors numbers and not his?
Yes. Honestly though, the numbers come from my reports. All the traffic violators, that info comes from the Department of Motor Vehicles. Our system matches names/DOB, etc., through SLED/FBI databases (SLED is SC Law Enforcement Division).

Well, your institution is the problem. You were the exception to the rule. Even the "good" cops still won't turn in their fellow cops for illegal activities. Why aren't you a cop anymore?
I disagree. People like me outnumber the bad ones. I think where the bad ones are, they outnumber the good ones in those areas.

I'm not a cop any more because of saved a kids life and in the process I suffered injuries that will never heal properly for me to return to that job. I'd be lucky to get a job at McDonalds. The kid would have died if I didn't do what I did.

no. you're the % doing their job, as you're supposed to. A lot of people don't have your pov. Its a systemic issue, you're just a cog in a wheel of statistical injustice toward minorities. If the majority of police were like you, there wouldn't be statistical data proving otherwise. You're aware that corrupt police departments exist, and that those are the problems. They just happen to exist nationwide. So when you're trying to defend bullshit PD with a story about how like everyone else, you do the job you're hired for, it comes off a little, well, thats what you're supposed to do.

A lot of officers don't act correctly, and have no accountability as we've watched, and have seen historically.

We all have reports showing what happens when good police try to narc on others. Its a fucked up institution that has roots of problems.
There might be statistical data showing the injustice in certain areas, but overall, I still believe that people like me outweigh the bad. I'm certainly willing to look at whatever info you have that will help me see it is worse than I believe it is. I know I can't see everything, everywhere, so I am 100% for learning more about problems other see that I don't.

ColdPizza

Banned
I disagree. People like me outnumber the bad ones. I think where the bad ones are, they outnumber the good ones in those areas.

Maybe, but it's hard to reconcile with an increased number of footage of these types of events. Even with body cams, whoops, video or audio mysteriously cuts out. The good cops should be actively rooting out the bad ones. Union support for overtly bad cops should vanish in an instant instead of doubling down.

Were you a cop in a major city? Even a good cop couldn't make an affect like those of the NYPD, Baltimore, or LA.

F34R

Maybe, but it's hard to reconcile with an increased number of footage of these types of events. Even with body cams, whoops, video or audio mysteriously cuts out. The good cops should be actively rooting out the bad ones. Union support for overtly bad cops should vanish in an instant instead of doubling down.

Were you a cop in a major city? Even a good cop couldn't make an affect like those of the NYPD, Baltimore, or LA.
Nothing major. Only 5200 people within the city limits. I understand where you're coming from regarding those major cities. It's frustrating for sure.

Lyng

The all cops are racist theme in this thread is weird.
Yes there is a problem with some US cops, that doesnt mean every police officer is like that.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes there is a problem with some US cops, that doesnt mean every police officer is like that.
Yeah but it's also due to the negative and fucked up ones going around on social media and not the proper arrests.

There is a problem but the painting of every officer as a grand evil out to get anyone not white is weird.

royalan

Yeah, no.

It's true that all cops probably don't have that deep-seeded hatred in their hearts. But if that's so, those so-called "good cops" should be the most outraged whenever their racist, hateful, chicken-shit brothers and sisters are out in the streets shooting unarmed black people dead in the name of the Blue. They should be out in the streets with us. Or fighting to bring change from within.

But they don't. They keep their silence, lower their heads, and become part of the blue wall.

So why the fuck should anybody care about the distinction between good cops and bad cops, if those good cops don't give a shit themselves?

F34R

Yeah, no.

It's true that all cops probably don't have that deep-seeded hatred in their hearts. But if that's so, those so-called "good cops" should be the most outraged whenever their racist, hateful, chicken-shit brothers and sisters are out in the streets shooting unarmed black people dead in the name of the Blue. They should be out in the streets with us. Or fighting to bring change from within.

But they don't. They keep their silence, lower their heads, and become part of the blue wall.

So why the fuck should anybody care about the distinction between good cops and bad cops, if those good cops don't give a shit themselves?
Do you like being labeled because of what others do?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, no.

A good cop stops being a cop as soon as he decides to protest in the streets. You think police officers can continue on with their job while protesting their very employers? What fantasy world is this?

I know police officers and the "good" ones who take enormous issue with the shit we see in the media tell me that they do their best to go through the proper channels internally, report it and address it whenever they can.

At the end of the day this is still a job and livelihood for thousands of people. The idea that every single good cop should be a Serpico is foolhardy. People like him are extraordinary, rare and not the standard vocal opponent to the institution, however that doesn't mean every other cop who opposes the bad ones are complacent or just as bad just because they're not protesting in the streets.

royalan

A good cop stops being a cop as soon as he decides to protest in the streets. You think police officers can continue on with their job while protesting their very employers? What fantasy world is this?

I know police officers and the "good" ones who take enormous issue with the shit we see in the media tell me that they do their best to go through the proper channels internally, report it and address it whenever they can.

At the end of the day this is still a job and livelihood for thousands of people. The idea that every single good cop should be a Serpico is foolhardy. People like him are extraordinary, rare and not the standard vocal opponent to the institution, however that doesn't mean every other cop who opposes the bad ones are complacent or just as bad just because they're not protesting in the streets.

So I'll repeat my question:

If the existence of "good cops" makes not a shred of difference, guarantees no justice, for not just the innocent black people who are shot dead and will NEVER get justice, but the countless black people who are routinely harassed within their own communities...

Then what the fuck is the point in mentioning them in threads like these? Of what value is the reminder that the cop who beat you over the head for talking back, or shot your brother, or pulled you over for driving in the wrong neighborhood, has a coworker who probably wouldn't have done those things?

The Kree

Banned
So I'll repeat my question:

If the existence of "good cops" makes not a shred of difference, guarantees no justice, for not just the innocent black people who are shot dead and will NEVER get justice, but the countless black people who are routinely harassed within their own communities...

Then what the fuck is the point in mentioning them in threads like these? Of what value is the reminder that the cop who beat you over the head for talking back, or shot your brother, or pulled you over for driving in the wrong neighborhood, has a coworker who probably wouldn't have done those things?

Their feelings, royalan. Think about their feelings.

Softest gangsters on the planet.

There are over a million LEOs in America. Picking out a video of the good ones showing restraint (supposedly) because the suspect is white and using it as proof they're all racist is stupid.

That's all.

It's even sadder because of all the bitching about how careless police are and poorly trained. These officers handled it the right way and yet somehow they only handled it the right way because they're racist pieces of shit and if it were a minority they'd have emptied their clips into him. It's fucking stupid. There are too many bad cops in this country but there are loads of good ones. Can't fight ignorant prejudice with more ignorant prejudice :)

Is that your personal belief, or are there receipts to that? Police Brutality is a large and widespread issue (not restricted to only minorities, though severity and frequency is clearly up), but I don't think I've seen anything supporting your statement on weapon discharge in interactions.

But yes, this video does illustrate the gulf of difference between police interaction with whites vs minorities. And sadly because he wasn't shot, it'll hardly make the rounds in mainstream to question why this level of restraint hasn't been present in situations where, as you even highlighted, individuals were complying.

It's my personal belief. If not shoot, cops threaten violence for lil things all time. As far as receipts, basically every DOJ report on every major area with black people will say that cops disproportionately ticket, jail & kill black people, while letting whites go for the same crimes.

So it's not just shooting people in the back who are running away, that needs to be caught on camera by civilians to even have the truth come out because the other two officers also lied on their police reports to protect the killer cop but are never punished for there cover up, it's also handing black people $80 tickets while letting white motorists go free for the same things.

Cops are just stormtroopers to uphold laws, and when the laws are made to screw minorities; well, minorities aren't going to believe police are inherently good, because their not, despite whites being socialized to believe police are worthy of worship

I have to admit that the "white folks get the kid gloves" posts do kind of sour the threads. Especially for me who lost my sister to being shot by a police officer. But I know the resentment of institutionalized racism that so many of our fellow GAFfers hold. It's hard to let go of, and to be frank, law enforcement as a whole doesn't really give them a reason to. It's so easy to hate the institution when they protect and enable those shitty cops.

I see it as like a venn diagram with the two circles being the institutionalized racism and the complete lack of accountability. What this means for POC is that they tend to get double the shit where the circles overlap, but there still plenty of lack of accountability for us white folks who are family members of victims of police brutality.

Oh and the officer that shot my sister? The police circled the wagons, the prosecutor declined to try for an indictment and he was given an award at the end of the year.

Dad bod is peak physical form. You just have to accept it.

I'm sorry about your sister. Unfortunately, police brutality & lack of accountability isn't something most white americans care about, in general. Otherwise, the white community would take situations like your sister being killed as seriously as the black community takes police killings. But, in general, the white community worships police, so they'll continue to have parties thrown for them after they kill people with no repercussions.

It's even sadder because of all the bitching about how careless police are and poorly trained. These officers handled it the right way and yet somehow they only handled it the right way because they're racist pieces of shit and if it were a minority they'd have emptied their clips into him. It's fucking stupid. There are too many bad cops in this country but there are loads of good ones. Can't fight ignorant prejudice with more ignorant prejudice :)

cops are fucking stormtroopers; every now & then one might save a Wookie from execution or decides he doesn't want to kill for the FO and goes awol

but we're not going to sit here and pretend like their job isn't to protect the empire, because it is. Cops aren't here to protect me, maybe you, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend being "prejudice" against people who choose a certain profession is even in the same fucking ball park as being prejudice against people who are born into certain groups

royalan

It takes a herculean and calculated reach to come to the conclusion you did.

The outrage this video is triggering almost has nothing to do with THESE cops -- they are doing their jobs and handling aggression in the way they were probably trained to. They did this the right way. Kudos to them.

But it is the existence of these cops, these cops who were able to take down this man who was literally reaching for a gun without killing him, that should render the "I feared for my life" defense unusable. And yet Philando Castile had seven bullets shot at him, two pumped into his heart, in front of his wife and daughter, and all his murderer had to do was say "I feared for my life" to be let off scot fucking free.

The existence of videos like these, of cops like these, should reveal that excuse for the farce that it is. We should be able to look at the countless examples of cops doing their jobs correctly and see through bullshit like "I feared for my life." I mean, if justice were really the point. But it's as though police officers are offered two different realities within which they can move at will.

Apprehend a aggressive person without killing him: OK

Shoot a (black) man wearing a seatbelt dead in front of his wife and child: Also OK

I'm not angry at the cops in this video. I'm thankful for them. Because they highlight how rotted to the core the police as an institution are in this country.

This is where we end this blue lives matter bullshit because you're not even a cop anymore

No-one is ever going to pull you over because you have cop nose

or a cop sounding name

F34R, matches the description of a cop so we're going to detain you, sodomize & hang you from your neck in a cell

this false equivalent crap like black people prejudging police is what needs to stop for police misconduct in this country to end... just another way to shift the blame on black people

velociraptor

Disgusting. We all know what would have happened if the suspect was black.

The fact a fucking off-duty black cop got shot by a fellow officer says it all really.

Sai-kun

Banned

when people in the communities i'm a part of do fucked up shit i speak out loudly against it, i don't stay silent just because we're in the same community. i accept that my communities are not perfect, and that if someone is talking about problems in my community, they aren't necessarily talking about me.

royalan

when people in the communities i'm a part of do fucked up shit i speak out loudly against it, i don't stay silent just because we're in the same community. i accept that my communities are not perfect, and that if someone is talking about problems in my community, they aren't necessarily talking about me.

And this is the responsibility you show towards your community. We're not even talking about a community here. We're talking about a damn profession...

And this is the responsibility you show towards your community. We're not even talking about a community here. We're talking about a damn profession...

Right? How fucked up would it be if doctors went around botching surgeries and killing patients and other "good" doctors just stayed silent or complained about being "labeled" and how "unfair "it is? You'd expect the people in the profession from the top down, to be zealously committed to changing things and stop such screw ups from happening or calling it out at the very least. Yet we can't even get that much from the only people in our society basically given a licence to detain and kill citizens. All we get is noncommittal shit about how it's "regrettable" and then it's back to business.

Nategc20

Banned
If it wasnt for social media we wouldn't know about these cases......If it wasnt for social media we would probably give more of a shit. Hmmm.

Sunster

Sooooo your department wasn't racist, it was just incompetent?

F34R

This is where we end this blue lives matter bullshit because you're not even a cop anymore

No-one is ever going to pull you over because you have cop nose

or a cop sounding name

F34R, matches the description of a cop so we're going to detain you, sodomize & hang you from your neck in a cell

this false equivalent crap like black people prejudging police is what needs to stop for police misconduct in this country to end... just another way to shift the blame on black people
Lord... it was a simple question. This doesn't have anything to do with "lives matter". Did I label "black" people to be criminals, because 90% of the crimes committed in my jurisdiction were done by black people? Hell no. I never judged a single person based on their race or because they are the same race as someone else that did something wrong. That's what I'm getting at. Why label "COPS" because there are pockets of bad ones out there. Screw understanding that there are thousands out there doing their job for the People. Hey, here is a video of white cops not killing a white guy. They must be racists and only not shooting this guy because the guy isn't black. That's a perfect narrative to string along with your own hate for others, regardless if they've ever done anything bad to anyone.

Sooooo your department wasn't racist, it was just incompetent?
Pretty much in that instance. Our State wants to be all PR at times. I explained this in another thread before; I was accused of hitting an elderly woman one time. Even though my body mic, and patrol car video shows that never happened, I still had to take a polygraph and a psych eval. Why? Because they didn't want someone saying that the video footage was fake, altered, whatever...

Making a change... I made sure, being the Sgt. that was over race relations policy, that there wasn't a single decision made from our department or responding to complaints, that involved race being a factor. Case in point... we received calls about a suspicious person walking in a neighborhood. Someone that the caller didn't recognize. Description given, black male, described his clothes. While we have to respond to all complaints, in cases like this, we would simply drive the the neighborhood. If we saw some that was actually acting in a suspicious manner, then we would make contact with them. The case of someone was simply walking in the neighborhood, we would not stop and make contact. Wave at them as we drive by and clear from the complaint.

We didn't make contact with someone because someone complained, unless that complaint had merit. Someone walking in a neighborhood doesn't fit that.

If it were to come to light that someone in our department didn't support these efforts, then they would not be working with us. I wish there were ways to spread that to the areas that have people that single out minorities, or anyone based on anything other than whether they actually were engaging in suspicious or criminal activity.

Why is that a fantasy world? Good cops protesting against the lack of accountability for bad cops should be more a thing, and good cops like F34R should be on the forefront of that. This shouldn't be left just to the general public. If good cops can't do that, then that is pretty telling that the blues are more about protecting their own than rooting out corruption.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Was the random guy in plainclothes that was helping them out an off-duty cop? If he was a civilian that just seems like a bad idea. Anyways, at least they handled it properly. You would hope those same cops would do the same thing no matter who the person was.

Also guys, don't make THIS into a bad thing. These cops did the right thing.

Lord... it was a simple question. This doesn't have anything to do with "lives matter". Did I label "black" people to be criminals, because 90% of the crimes committed in my jurisdiction were done by black people? Hell no. I never judged a single person based on their race or because they are the same race as someone else that did something wrong. That's what I'm getting at. Why label "COPS" because there are pockets of bad ones out there. Screw understanding that there are thousands out there doing their job for the People. Hey, here is a video of white cops not killing a white guy. They must be racists and only not shooting this guy because the guy isn't black. That's a perfect narrative to string along with your own hate for others, regardless if they've ever done anything bad to anyone.

I honestly don't believe that the job of law enforcement officer is "for the people". I think people are heroes because they choose to be a cop. I really believe most cops abuse and see themselves as above the law, and the way very few are punished in any meaningful way does nothing to convince me otherwise.

The way you downplay "pockets of bad cops" when I know the system is built and maintained a certain way that encourages "good cops" to do/say nothing about the "bad cops" who are really doing their jobs of giving a certain amount of tickets despite how many drivers are actually speeding...

the FBI said white supremacists have invaded law enforcement agencies around the country. I don't forget shit like that even though I'm sure it's not something you care too deeply about in your personal life

F34R

I honestly don't believe that the job of law enforcement officer is "for the people". I think people are heroes because they choose to be a cop. I really believe most cops abuse and see themselves as above the law, and the way very few are punished in any meaningful way does nothing to convince me otherwise.

The way you downplay "pockets of bad cops" when I know the system is built and maintained a certain way that encourages "good cops" to do/say nothing about the "bad cops" who are really doing their jobs of giving a certain amount of tickets despite how many drivers are actually speeding...

the FBI said white supremacists have invaded law enforcement agencies around the country. I don't forget shit like that even though I'm sure it's not something you care too deeply about in your personal life

Unfortunately, it's not either/or when it comes to whether officers take on the responsibility for serving the public. All in all, the police are here to maintain order by enforcing laws. It's what also is done that determines whether or not departments are there for the People in the communities they patrol. Yes, there are dumb racists in the profession. I wouldn't ever doubt that. I'm not downplaying that at all. I firmly believe that they are in the minority. Whatever jurisdictions have a system in place that keeps good cops from saying anything, they need to be fixed, for sure. That isn't the system in whole.

FBI said white supremacists have invaded law enforcement agencies around the county..
I'm fully aware of that and we had been given notice of extremists recruiting from departments or attempting to gain employment within a department. This was going back to 2000 when I started. Briefings were coming before then, and continued throughout my tenure in regards to extremists and gang affiliation. I care(d) deeply about it in my profession, as well as my personal life.

Show me some videos or reports of the cops in the OP doing something different to a minority, and I'll drive up there with you to call them out. ;)

Top Bottom