• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Walks 21 Miles To Work And Back Every Day (8 hour round trip commute)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand the whole economics of the thing. Like dude has literally been working for the same company for more than 10 years, doesn't pay rent because of this house he inherited in Detroit and still can't afford a car?

House his GF inherited.

He does not own a home and they're not married.

There's probably some hidden debts being collected on or something.

This sounds incredibly suspect.

I really doubt the man has done this for multiple years and has never asked for a wage increase or something to that effect that would allow him to get a car.

Or never sought a college education.

see5harp

I thought so at first glance, but his commute is really detailed out in one of the articles and they have video as well as interviews with his boss.

To me it explains part of why he continues to work there. He likes and respects his co-workers and because he likes the home cooked meals he gets for free. SEEMS TOTALLY WORTH THE 8 HOUR COMMUTE that he SOMETIMES has to make.

Falcs

Banned
Seriously?? No bike??
He's been literally living just to work:
Commute, work, commute, sleep, commute, work, commute, sleep...
And for $10 an hour?

Nup.. Sorry, I'd rather be homeless.

I just don't understand the whole economics of the thing. Like dude has literally been working for the same company for more than 10 years, doesn't pay rent because of this house he inherited in Detroit and still can't afford a car?

This.

He has no rent, no car payment, and makes well above minimum wage. In 10 years he couldn't save up enough for even a cheap ass used commute car? It just seems strange.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So if he is walking for 21 miles almost every business day for the past 10 years, I think it's fair to say that he will would walk 500 miles and he would walk 500 miles more just to be the man that falls down at Schain Mold & Engineering door.

oh you

Blader

That's pretty fucking impressive, good on him and the others who are looking to help. But 2-3 hours of sleep a night, 42 daily miles of walking, and several cans of soda a day is a heart attack waiting to happen. Hope he takes better care of himself now.

fake edit: even if the house is inherited and there's no rent, there are still property taxes and utility bills and shit like that to pay too, right?

its very interesting to see people struggle to imagine what its like to be poor.

I should feel good but I don't because this is a reality in so many people's lives. The gutting of the great public transit of Detroit and many cities, and the ongoing struggles of the poor *when* public transit does come back but then getting priced out and having no mobility to live wherever they want (in this case, closer to work) because of gentriciation is heartbreaking.

see5harp

its very interesting to see people struggle to imagine what its like to be poor.

I have plenty of empathy for the poor. After paying my mortgage, and electricity bills, I'd be surprised if I had as much as his gross take home every month. I just am finding it hard to believe that this is the whole story because no one with any common sense would do this.

andthebeatgoeson

He is unable to afford the cost of buying and maintaining a car earning just $10.55 an hour, and he hasn't moved closer to work because his girlfriend inherited the house where they live.

Just as a reminder. I'm sure some will ask why. $10 per hour is $5k about the poverty line, 48 weeks power year. He doesn't have a ton of options. With minimum wage at $7.25, for many, that's considered a good job.

That's a shame.

Google

I'm confused as to why we're rewarding a man for choosing to walk a long way to work every day.

He could get a cheap sub $500 car.

He could get a bike.

He could arrange a car-pool.

He could run.

He could skateboard.

He could ice skate if there's a frozen river nearby.

He could sort his finances out to the point he can afford a car payment.

HE DOESNT PAY RENT/MORTGAGE!!! I have to pay over $350 on my fucking STRATA for my shitty 2 bedroom apartment. GIVE ME A NEW HOUSE BECAUSE THIS ONE IS TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!

cafemomo

With a full-time job and marathon commutes, Robertson is clearly sleep deprived, but powers himself by downing 2-liter bottles of Mountain Dew and cans of Coke.

this is how we dew it

Furyous

.... Not for $10.55 an hour. Salute to him but fuck that entirely. For $74 an hour I'll take that trek as well. Call me lazy but that is not what I want to be doing with my life at this point in time.

Enzom21

So how long before conservatives pick this story up and use it as an example of "one of the good ones" and how people should be like him and get off of welfare? They'll of course be completely oblivious to the fact that no one should have to live like this just to survive.

Seriously...
Also, is there not public transit available? Is it too expensive or something? I'm not familiar with Detroit's (lack of a?) transit system.
Edit: Judging from the OP it looks like the transit doesn't cover his whole distance.

The urban sprawl in Metro Detroit is unreal. Hell, the size of Detroit proper is huge. The auto industry's presence has also stiffled the development of good public transportation.

Just to clarify why he wouldn't just buy a car:

Insurance rates in Detroit are by far the highest in the nation. I'm not sure what an older car like a 90s honda would run, but yearly costs for a similar car would likely run at least $3000 per year.

The last report I read said around 50% of all cars in Detroit are uninsured, so good on him for not breaking the law.

As someone whose car has been hit by uninsured drivers in the past, this is not a suitable reason to take that insane pilgimage for a decade.

Yep, there are of above the board ways to get a cheap car in Detroit. There's more to this story.

gaiages

Banned
Wow, that's pretty intense. I sort of wonder why he didn't at least buy a bike, though I suppose that would be less than helpful during the winter... it'd probably be easier to walk.

What I'm wondering is, why didn't the boss try to help him out a bit? It seems as though the boss likes him, with what the friendly chats and homemade cooking, so why not... I dunno, throw him a little bonus to get a car or something? I'm sure a raise would be far better, but that just may not have been possible.

Then again, even just being given a car may not have been enough, given all the ridiculous expenses that go into owning a car (title, licenses, insurance, etc), and if it's a cheap used clunker, it would probably need some work done on it in a year or two... it can be a lot. All those little extra things are certainly why I can't buy a car myself.

And what about the GF? Is she even working? Living on one $10.55 wage sure sounds tough (well, I don't know the cost of living in Detroit, so I'm not sure), but if she was working as well, even at minimum wage, it certainly seems like they could have improved their living situation just a bit, unless something is going on in the background (like debt issues, as someone said earlier).

It's good that he's getting help, though. :) Good on him.

therapist

Yea idk.
If this is true then wow , but i feel its probably overblown.

You cant do that on 2 hours of sleep a night.
Futhermore he has no rent / mortgage to pay.
Even on that salary you could afford a shitty car or at least a bike.

Smells fishy to me

andthebeatgoeson

I'm confused as to why we're rewarding a man for choosing to walk a long way to work every day.

He could get a cheap sub $500 car.

He could get a bike.

He could arrange a car-pool.

He could run.

He could skateboard.

He could ice skate if there's a frozen river nearby.

He could sort his finances out to the point he can afford a car payment.

HE DOESNT PAY RENT/MORTGAGE!!! I have to pay over $350 on my fucking STRATA for my shitty 2 bedroom apartment. GIVE ME A NEW HOUSE BECAUSE THIS ONE IS TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!

You're special. Do you make $10.55 per hour? Do you rely on your girlfriend for a place to stay? Do you commute in Detroit? People who say use a bike; how comfortable are you biking in the snow/ice?

Google

You're special. Do you make $10.55 per hour? Do you rely on your girlfriend for a place to stay? Do you commute in Detroit? People who say use a bike; how comfortable are you biking in the snow/ice?

If I say yes will you start a campaign online to get me $50k in charitable donations?

Because I'm fucking game...

It would probably just get stolen, also weather conditions

This is my favourite argument in the thread.

openrob

???

Ok obviously the car is better, but surely it would have been better to have a bike to slash the walking distances. Not sure what transport is like in the area and if you can even take a fu;ll sized bike on buses? if you could, that would make it an even cheaper option.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, I grew up in Troy (my parents still live in the same house). Was going to say I'm shocked I haven't seen him walking, but then realized it said only the past 10 years he's been doing that and I moved to Seattle in 2000. That's crazy though. My parents house is only a mile east of Crooks Rd too. Glad he's finally getting a car, I would not want to walk through the snow they just got dumped on today. Looks like 12-14 inches with more coming tonight.

So whats the bet a year from now they will do an interview with him to see how life has changed and find they he lost all the money to "bad investments" and is still walking.

seat

How do you function on 2 hours of sleep every night before work? I suppose it's possible for a limited few, but I find it very hard to believe.

Dryk

So how long before conservatives pick this story up and use it as an example of "one of the good ones" and how people should be like him and get off of welfare? They'll of course be completely oblivious to the fact that no one should have to live like this just to survive.
They're probably already framing pictures to hang next to Reagan. This guy is truly the hero the free market deserves.

If he really wants to put himself through that then so be it. But their is nothing in this story that makes me feel good about him or his situation. He wants to make things harder on himself and live to work then it's his life. I wouldn't wish anything like that for me or any of my friends or family. If the company can graciously reward him with a brand new car or something decent at least then at least something good came out of it. If not then it was a interesting story to read I suppose.

That's a really shitty situation. I wonder why he didn't get a bike, at least for when the weather is good. Hell, when I look for places to submit applications to, I make sure it isn't more than a two hour commute one way, and that's with public transportation. Couldn't say I'd have hung with this "live to work" kind of lifestyle.

How do you function on 2 hours of sleep every night before work? I suppose it's possible for a limited few, but I find it very hard to believe.

He sleeps on the bus, chugs soda, and crashes on the weekend.
Not a good lifestyle at all.

My grandpa did 3-4 hours on the regular in his 50s when he was still working. He napped like a mother fucker on the weekend, though.

He leaves at 8am and comes home at 4am.

So does he not sleep more than 2-3 hours? Does he eat along the way or eat when he gets home?

This story sounds fishy to some extent. Is he really walking 42 miles a day with barely any daily sleep???
I used to have a two to three hour bus ride to work. I'd just sleep on the way in and my ride wasnt nearly as long as his. Bus sleep is great IF you sit up front and know your driver.

Flo_Evans

Kind of sounds like an idiot. In his commute time he could easily get another job and afford a car. 2 minimum wage jobs close to home and he would be better off.

Kusagari

I have no idea how this dude cannot save up for a car when he literally isn't even paying rent.

Unless he has some insane hidden debts we're not hearing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom