• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manchester United in bidding war with Fnatic over Overwatch team

The Score Esports
Manchester United Football Club and Fnatic have entered a bidding war, with both organizations looking to sign the same Overwatch team, according to a report by eSports News UK's Dom Sacco.

According to the report, both organizations are looking to sign an already-sponsored Overwatch roster. Manchester United approached the team first, leading Fnatic to make a counter-offer and Manchester United to make their own counter-offer. The report also states that a third, unnamed organization is interested in the team but Manchester United is "unfazed" by the other offers.

Manchester United is a Premier League soccer team, and have won 20 league titles, 12 FA cups, three European Cups, one Intercontinental Cup and a FIFA Club World Cup, making them among the most successful teams in British soccer. Manchester is also one of the most valuable soccer teams in the world, valued at $1.2 billion by Brand Finance in 2015.

Fnatic is among the most successful organizations in esports, with five European League of Legends Championship Series titles, and two Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Major Championship titles. Fnatic currently fields teams in LoL, CS:GO, Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, SMITE and Battlefield.

Manchester United would not be the first major soccer brand to get involved in esports. German soccer team FC Schalke 04 recently signed the EU LCS roster formerly known as Elements, Valencia CF signed four Hearthstone players and West Ham United has signed a FIFA 16 player.

It's fascinating to see these giant sports organizations make a run at E-Sports.

Shin-chan

I suppose this is the equivalent of white goods manufacturers establishing themselves in BRICS economies - trying to get in early to make sure you're a big player when the market has developed a bit.

Hopefully some success is made and it encourages more big brands to give it a stab.

The only e sport I've ever liked was Dota 2 and I don't even follow that anymore, but I still think it's an interesting growth area in gaming.

Go_Ly_Dow

You are my Solskjaer, 
My Ole Solskjaer, 
You make me happy, 
When skies are grey, 
Oh Alan Shearer, 
Was f*cking dearer, 
So please don't take, 
My Solskjaer away... 

_Legacy_

This is amazing and very good for United if they get the deal, they've always been ahead of the other premier league clubs when it comes to marketing/expanding fan base, and I'm an Arsenal fan.

Go_Ly_Dow

Munny is funny for big Ed Woody.

He's been splashing the cash like mad since he took the reigns.

I would mind some FFXV product placement.

aeolist

Banned
I've only watched a little bit of take.tv's tournament but do people think Overwatch is going to be big in esports?

it's kept up pretty good numbers on twitch since launch and has gotten some pretty talented players since closed beta

it kinda feels like sponsors and orgs are putting the cart before the horse and we'll need to wait and see how big blizzard-run tournaments perform but it wouldn't surprise me to see it take off

Zemm

Kinda weird. I don't really see this game taking off as a big e-sport but I guess having a team like fnatic might help?

Kinda weird. I don't really see this game taking off as a big e-sport but I guess having a team like fnatic might help?
No reason it wouldn't. What it lacks in technical depth(in regards to aiming and recoil control etc) it makes up for in the teamwork strategy with hero synergy and combining ults.

Zemm

No reason it wouldn't. What it lacks in technical depth(in regards to aiming and recoil control etc) it makes up for in the teamwork strategy with hero synergy and combining ults.

It's a mess to watch and it feels like only US clans are interested atm. The game definitely has depth. I'm also not sure if there's room for another big fps e-sport alongside CSGO.

ptLB6O8.gif

Reaper said:
Poor Winston. Has to hide away so he doesn't scare the children.

It's a mess to watch and it feels like only US clans are interested atm. The game definitely has depth. I'm also not sure if there's room for another big fps e-sport alongside CSGO.
As long as there is interest and money the scene will be there. Lo of old pros for TF2 and Quake are joining in.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've only watched a little bit of take.tv's tournament but do people think Overwatch is going to be big in esports?

I'm not convinced it'll take off in the long term. I think the big push on making it an e-sport feels pretty manufactured at the moment, with big e-sports stages and events right after the game is out. The competitive games themselves are pretty repetitive, with all teams often fielding very similar compositions/strategies, with some rather boring hero stacking at times.

I remember seeing some tournament where every match had 2-3 McRees on each team and it wasn't fun to watch at all.

ksan

It's probably a matter of them giving better offers from what I've understood.
I remember seeing some tournament where every match had 2-3 McRees on each team and it wasn't fun to watch at all.
That's why 1 hero limit is starting to be a thing in competitive!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

assuming broadcaster's have all been using blizz's broadcasting UI,

it's actually completely dependent on the broadcaster's ability to broadcast a compelling presentation. I will say that (for me) it is WAY more interesting and easy to follow than any MOBA. but as with any sort of competition presentation, you need to know both the camera shots and how to present the action.

as for GO, this has WAY more potential than GO, if only because of the visual design. the typical blizz attention to design has paid off here in spades.

I don't understand how one of the biggest sports clubs in the world is in a bidding war with an e-sports org.

The only team I feel like it could be is Luminosity since there hasn't been any meaningful tournaments to warrant a bidding war. LG has Seagull who has become one of the more popular streamers so that exposure would be worth it

Dami3N

Manchester united is a football club.. its in the name.
Manchester united fc..
Manchester united football club...

soccer.... pfthhh

Aters

I have a feeling MU is not going to get in top 4 this season. They are going to be the next Liverpool.

Top Bottom