• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer (Annoyed Gamer) finally addresses the Phil Fish (FEZ 2) conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuppy

Back with a Vengeance
After one crazy summer break, Marcus Beer returns for the season 2 premiere.

He basiclly tries to turn the table around, instead of finger pointing himself is he annoyed about the media that made a story out of it without even knowing him and his format. He tries to redefine the show (for season 2) and wants to settle that conflict down for ever.

This is my two cents, this is conversation closed:
Do I think Phil Fhish should come back and do FEZ 2? - If he wants to, [if] he wants to be part of this industry.
Do I think that Phil Fish needs to calm down a little and maybe step away from social media or hire a pr person or whatever? - Probably.
Do I think Phil Fish needs to update FEZ one and finish it and patch it and get rid of the glitches? - Definitely. Because he's got a fanbase, a fanbase who loves his game and I said I've got nothing against his game or the fans of his games, it's not my cup of tea, but I can respect people out there who like it.

I think it was pretty weak. Specially if he says that journos don't know how it is to be him (15 years in the industry), that he has experience that they don't and that he speaks for the people and was just doing what his so called "Blowfish" did.
But what about him why did he have the right to judge about Fish and Blow without knowing how it is to put all your soul into a project and then having to react to feedback (basically what Indie Game: The Movie is about and what Penny Arcade tried to say - Link)..

wizzbang

Banned
Fuck Marcus Beer in the fucking head.

Apparently Phil Fish is an arrogant cock online, ok cool - that's not great but this particular exchange, Marcus Beer insulted / instigated the spat between them and caused it in the first place, fuck him. As for Phil Fish, I don't care what kind of knob he is, is his games good? (I've never played Fez, but I hear great things)

In conclusion, fuck Marcus Beer.

This is pretty much what I'd expect out of him and it's why I don't like him.

Marcus and Shane made Invisible Walls entertaining in that "Watching a train wreck" sort of way, but solo Marcus just comes off as an asshole.

Courage

They were both at fault, but Fish would have been a bigger man if he just ignored Beer's insults and let him look like a fool.

I find his schtick a touch disingenuous, and this 'righting of alleged wrongs' kinda seals the deal.

It just smacks of snark for snark's sake, without even a slightly comedic spin or any worthwhile insight.

Nibel

Cy1vhAP.jpg

Marcus Beer began the shit war, and now he fuels it again

Mugatu

Apparently Phil Fish is an arrogant cock online, ok cool - that's not great but this particular exchange, Marcus Beer insulted / instigated the spat between them and caused it in the first place, fuck him. As for Phil Fish, I don't care what kind of knob he is, is his games good? (I've never played Fez, but I hear great things)

This.

I think Fish shoots him mouth off online, I can relate, most of us who post online can. It's not right, but it's understandable.

legacyzero

Banned
This is pretty much what I'd expect out of him and it's why I don't like him.

Marcus and Shane made Invisible Walls entertaining in that "Watching a train wreck" sort of way, but solo Marcus just comes off as an asshole.
Well, I mean, he is as advertised. "Annoyed Gamer" certainly implies that he's gonna come off as an asshole.

tookhster

They were both at fault, but Fish would have been a bigger man if he just ignored Beer's insults and let him look like a fool.

Agreed. They both acted like children, but at the same time, as a game developer you've got to accept criticism just like any other form of media. Saying you're going to cancel a sequel because some not-even-that-well-known guy on the internet said something bad about you is just ridiculous and immature, especially when you know you have many fans.

I think Beer's clinging to the "I'm angry and cynical and a jerk and you don't have to like me so fuck you" shtick. It works for 19 year olds (they eat that shit up) but for the majority of older people it's very unattractive.

Most of us go through an "I'm angry and cynical and a jerk and you don't have to like me so fuck you" phase when we're young but it becomes destructive and emotionally tiring. You just can't live your life like that. So you calm down over time. Usually. And it's always for the better. Sometimes there's a middle ground, but it requires some serious mental pruning and it doesn't always work.

I don't hate the guy, he's said some intelligent stuff before, but the attitude kind of precludes me from actively seeking out his commentary.

Compare your life to mine and kill yourself

Both sides are at fault, I pity fish more then I do Marcus though. Fish exploding doesn't surprise me, he literally gets more shit on the internet then almost anyone else. Marcus on the other hand was insulting someone personally instead of just complaining about someone's opinion. I don't hate either one, but really the 2 need to kiss and make up already.

Mugatu

Agreed. They both acted like children, but at the same time, as a game developer you've got to accept criticism just like any other form of media. Saying you're going to cancel a sequel because some not-even-that-well-known guy on the internet said something bad about you is just ridiculous and immature, especially when you know you have many fans.

I would agree but for the "you've got to accept criticism just like any other form of media."

Getting shit on nonstop, like many people do these days, is not something you have to accept. These are still people.

Do some people have tougher skins than Fish or take it better? Hell yeah, but nobody should have to put up with that crap in the first place so I tend not to blame the victims.

Were you watching the same event as me, because it certainly wasn't Beer that caused him to quit. Look at the comments on Polytron if you want to know why he quit. I would have done the same shit. There's a difference between creative criticism and and down right being very and disgustingly disrespectful.

Edit.

Seriously Fuck Marcus Beer. I hate when guys in the industry who only report gaming news act like they should have creative opinions. If your not the one making the games or taking the time out to create one, then shut your mouth because sitting on your ass and talking shit does not warrant an "opinion". I absolutely hate it..."It's not as easy as it looks" Period

Superflat

The insufferable internet melodrama.
Act IX - chapter 2.

image.php

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Let me see if I've got this patch stuff correct: Is this the 360 bug that affects 1% of users, and would cost them a bunch to put up? If so, that's a pretty lame thing to villify him about. I know the thought of losing progress is bad, but starting a game of Fez over again isn't utterly unreasonable when you weigh out the situation. If it was more than 1% though...

Heyt

Banned
As a person that throws his experience in PR like 3 times on his show, I was expecting a much more thoughtful, in deph, efficient response. He brings good points most of the time when he's on a pro-consumer side of things, but his character has crossed the line. I'm started to be annoyed too. By him and his childish, arrogant stand. He is starting to come across as the grupy old mand that thinks hi's experience lets him get away with things children would be spanked for.

KLonso

I believe that right now, the only difference between the two is that Marcus Beer is still doing his show, while Phil Fish quit making games.

Both of them throw out insults with little to no regard, but clearly only one of them can take them back.

SJRB

Gold Member
Who even fucking cares at this point. It was pathetic when the drama started, and it still is.

Marcus had a point with what he said in the beginning, he just went about expressing it in the worst way possible. Neither are without fault, and Fish brought a lot of his hate on himself by playing the role of an antagonist.

The situation sucks, and I don't believe for one second that he isn't working on Fez 2.

Draconian

Let me see if I've got this patch stuff correct: Is this the 360 bug that affects 1% of users, and would cost them a bunch to put up? If so, that's a pretty lame thing to villify him about. I know the thought of losing progress is bad, but starting a game of Fez over again isn't utterly unreasonable when you weigh out the situation. If it was more than 1% though...

Patches are free on the 360 now.

macewank

stopped watching anything on GTTV except Final Bosman because of Beer's spat with Blow and Fish.. this isn't going to win me back.

As a person that throws his experience in PR like 3 times on his show, I was expecting a much more thoughtful, in deph, efficient response. He brings good points most of the time when he's on a pro-consumer side of things, but his character has crossed the line. I'm started to be annoyed too. By him and his childish, arrogant stand. He is starting to come across as the grupy old mand that thinks hi's experience lets him get away with things children would be spanked for.

well said.

DrZeus

I have no problem with Marcus' opinion of Fish as he is entitled to it and has some claims to support it as he sees fit. Also, no issue with Phil's response as he felt attacked and in his way of reacting he responded. The issue I have is that video of Fish embarrassing that young Japanese dev at that event after he was politely asked a question by the man regarding the history of Japanese influence on gaming. That was horrendous.

Anyway glad this is over. Still like and support Beer/AG and can't wait to play Fez on Vita. Let this beef die.

Beer's a hateful clown with an audience, while Fish is...a hateful clown with an audience. Too many goddamn manchildren in this industry, and Twitter makes it remarkably easy to spot them.

tokkun

Beer basically acted like your average NeoGAF poster. He made some hyperbolic negative statement about an industry figure. Then when someone came back at him, he got defensive and dug himself in deeper.

You can already see people doing it in this thread.

It's not an admirable way to act, but it's an easy trap to fall into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom