• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario’s new voice actor potentially revealed via demo datamine

Draugoth

Gold Member
new-mario-voice-1280x720.jpg

Mick Wingert is reportedly the new VA for Mario and Luigi in Super Mario Bros Wonder.

The new voice of Mario has potentially been revealed, following an alleged datamine of a Super Mario Bros. Wonder retail demo.

An unverified list of voice actors for Wonder first appeared on the 4chan forum on Wednesday, and then spread to other social media sites and forums such as Resetera.

The list is said to have been published after an anonymous user managed to obtain the kiosk demo for Mario Wonder, which was rolled out at US retailers last week, and then modified it to access content not meant to be seen by players.

The user posted images on 4chan (some of which are mirrored on Twitter) of previously unseen Wonder levels to support their claims.

Since LA-based Kevin Afghani’s performance as Arnold in Genshin Impact sounds very similar to Mario Wonder’s talking flowers, this leaves one likely candidate on the allegedly leaked list: veteran cartoon and video game voice actor Mick Wingert.

Wingert is best known as the voice of Tony Stark in various Marvel cartoons, as well as Zeng in the spin-off Kung Fu Panda series. He’s also contributed voices to games such as Genshin Impact, Spider-Man, World of Warcraft and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
With a character like Mario, i don’t think it matters much who voices him, or that it stick to one person. It’s one of the easiest voices to mimic.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It feels like this would be a perfect opportunity to give Mario an AI-generated voice based on voice samples from the guy who did it up until now and keep paying him royalties. At least for games where he's just making funny noises and not actually talking.

Kuranghi

It feels like this would be a perfect opportunity to give Mario an AI-generated voice based on voice samples from the guy who did it up until now and keep paying him royalties. At least for games where he's just making funny noises and not actually talking.

I would prefer this also, maybe this was considered and he said no though, he's watched Simone and The Congress and he's like NOPE.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m assuming that Nintendo is moving away from personifying the voice actors for their games in the same way that was done with Charles Martinet. I wouldn’t be surprised if different Mario games had different voice actors playing Mario from this point on.

It’s honestly not a bad idea from a branding perspective. All it takes is for the VA who is widely associated with the character to get cancelled or something in order to severely hurt the brand.

For example, I know a pretty sizable secret about Charles Martinet that would probably make some decent headlines, or at least a few docutuber videos. It’s nothing bad at all, just kind of surprising and cool, and also literally nowhere on the internet. Someday it’ll be revealed, though probably not by me. (Though I have hinted at it a couple times in past GAF posts.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom