• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario games have a lot of cool places: Which should be revisited in different genres?

Bit of a mouthful of a title and there was probably an WAY easier way to say it but oh well:

While the NSMB series gets a bit of flack for revisiting the same "level themes" over and over (grasslands, desert and the like), throughout the course of Mario's history there are a plethora of varied and memorable locations. From the laughter-named locations of Superstar's Saga (in particular, Chucklehuck Woods and the Chateau, where Popple shenanigans are plenty), to the glimmering Glitzville and monochrome Boggly Woods of Paper Mario, and even to some of the more off the wall Color Splash locations, such as Tangerino Grill and Plum Park (where you face the best boss ever,
Pe-Tea Piranha
), the RPGs are a source of some pretty great ones overall.

Chateau_de_Chucklehuck_Hallway.PNG

800px-Glitzville.PNG

BogglyWoods.png

PMCS_PlumPark01.png

But it's not only the RPGs, the Party games have some fun locations for boards, the linear platforming games all have unique levels (some that went on to become staples of the series) and the Galaxy series, as an example of the 3D platformers, has its fair share of memorable galaxies.

But despite all that, it wasn't until Mario Kart 8 released that I stopped and thought about how cool it'd be to see these old places in new, revamped, situations. And part of it is because MK8 is fantastic in its details: Baby Park went from a fairly simple course to having a gorgeous park and you could honestly make a new 3D Mario with worlds solely based on the backdrop of the Mario Kart 8 tracks and I'd be thrilled.

(Seriously: Mount Wario, Electrodome, Sunshine Airport, Toad Harbor, Rainbow Road, Ribbon Road, Cheese Land, Wild Woods all have the potential of becoming really sick smaller worlds, and god I want it)

MK8 didn't just have beautiful tracks, but through its details it felt like the most 'lived in' Mushroom Kingdom iteration. It was great seeing old tracks get completely revamped and given new life, and how they made Ribbon Road one of my literal favorite tracks in the series. If that's how far they went to revamp and old track, could you imagine how far they'd go if they had to imagine a level into a whole different genre? There's already experimentation in putting things INTO the Kart Series, but other than that the games/genres are pretty much self-contained besides the location staples, so it'd be super great to see individual locations getting a makeover or appearing on totally different contexts. Let me jump around in a 2D Boggly Woods, race in a Painted Swampland and collect moons in freaking Waluigi Pinball.

This concept isn't new for the Mario series either, of course, as what was Tick Tock Clock in Super Mario 64:
280px-Course14.png

Eventually became THIS in Mario Kart 8 after being added as a track in MKDS:
800px-MK8-Course-DS_Tick-TockClock.jpg

So what about you? Do you feel like there's a RPG location that would be great as a Mario Kart track? Or a track that would be great as a World in a 3D/2D platformer? Just go wild: even individual levels from games could be expanded into worlds if you feel they have enough meat to them (such as the painted night one in NSMBU). I'll be posting a couple every now and then.

mcmudman

Neo Member
I agree mario's worlds are unique enough to explore more. Honestly, I would like a good Waluigi spin off. We have the Wario Wares, Luigis Mansions, Yoshi Games, and heck even Captain Toad. Walugi would be the perfect character to have as a new Mario spinoff genre. Im calling it right now 2019 is the year of waluigi.

I agree mario's worlds are unique enough to explore more. Honestly, I would like a good Walugi spin off. We have the Wario Wares, Luigis Mansions, Yoshi Games, and heck even Captain Toad. Walugi would be the perfect character to have as a new Mario spinoff genre. Im calling it right now 2019 is the year of walugi.

ah I was gonna talk about Captain Toad too! Another spin-off that could have some great locations if used in the main series

Virtually every location in Mario Kart 8/8D should appear in a future Mario RPG, all connected along the Super Bell Subway
Sunshine Airport would be one heck of a hub

I wouldn't mind a future Mario platformer that takes place entirely within Toad City (the place where all of Mario Kart 8's tracks exist near, around, or inside of)

After this thread I'd love to see a Mario Odyssey style game with levels based on the Mario Kart tracks

World 1: Elements of Koopa Troopa Beach, Koopa Cape, Peach Beach, Shy Guy Beach, Shy Guy Beach, Shy Guy Falls, Shy Guy Bazaar, Toad Harbor, Cheep Cheep Beach, Cheep Cheep Lagoon, Delfino Plaza, Daisy Cruiser, Sunshine Airport, Dolphin Shoals, and Water Park.

World 2: Elements of Choco Island, Choco Mountain, Vanilla Lake, Sweet Sweet Canyon, and Donut Plains

World 3: Elements of Thwomp Ruins, Kalamari desert, Dry Dry Desert, Desert Hills, Yoshi Desert, Yoshi Valley, Dry Dry Ruins, and Bone Dry Ruins,

World 4: Elements of Boo Lake, Luigi's Mansion, Twisted Mansion, Ghost Valley, and Wario's Shipyard

World 5: Elements of Mushroom Gorge, Shroom Ridge, Moo Moo Meadows, Maple Treeway, Wild Woods, Wario's Gold Mines, Rock Rock Mountain, DK Mountain, DK Jungle's Parkway, DK Jungle, Daisy hills, Banshee Boardwalk and Dino Dino Jungle.

World 6: Elements of Toads Factory, Toad's Turnpike, Mario Stadium, Wario Colloseum, Peach Gardens, Royal Raceway, Waluigi Stadium, Wuhu Island, Maka Wuhu, Music Park, Mushroom Bridge, Coconut Mall, Lake Side Park, River Side Park, Tick Tick Clock and Super bell Subway.

World 7: Elements of Frappe Snow land, Rosalina's Ice World, DK Summit, DK Pass, Mount Wario, Sherbert land, and Ice Ice Outpost.

World 8: Elements of Neo Bowser City, Electrodome, Waluigi Pinball, Bowser's castle, Airship Fortress, and Grumble Volcano,

World 9: Elements of Cloudtop cruise, Sky Garden, Sunset Wilds, Dragon Driftway, Ribbon Road, and Rainbow Road

Top Bottom