• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

D-Pad

Erm, shouldn't the unlockable characters be spoiler'd too?

Anyways, this will be my first Mario Kart since Double Dash (not counting the two races I played of MK:DS). Should I be excited about Retro's contributions to the title?

BY2K

Membero Americo

Anyways, this will be my first Mario Kart since Double Dash (not counting the two races I played of MK:DS). Should I be excited about Retro's contributions to the title?

They did all the retro tracks, so I'd say yes.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

I know this isn't what you asked but you should really play MK Wii at some point. It's great.

daffy

Banned
hehe, you guys are so witty in here. I could never be witty like gaffers. :| I've tried to think of a couple goodies but nope.

Can't wait to play. I live in America now so Sunday is funday. :)

MooMoo

Go Team Yoshi! Unfortunately Amazon and Nintendo release dates don't exactly pair up nicely so I'll be getting this game two days late.

D-Pad

Nintendo doesn't seem like they're trying to hide them really.
And does it really matter if you know if Wario is in it?

Ummmm, not that I really care anymore (as no one else seems to care and I'm not going back to the op anyway), but what's up with the second part of that post? A character is "?"'d on the select screen for a reason you know? What's the fun in knowing my next unlockable is Wario or [insert name here]? The mystery of who or what you can unlock, in ANY game, is part of the thrill. Having it all laid out in front of you is like someone telling you what's in the pretty boxes underneath the Christmas tree.

It wouldn't really matter to me, personally, if I had known that the King of Lions was really King Daphnes of a sunken Hyrule, but it was damn great learning it on my own as I progressed through The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I wish a mario kart game would bring bob-omb battle back. The best multiplayer mario kart game ever.

I wish a mario kart game would bring bob-omb battle back. The best multiplayer mario kart game ever.
I think I read somewhere that you can set items to bob-ombs only if you make a community. Obviously not the same as the bomb-stacking insanity that Double Dash had but better than nothing.

I think I read somewhere that you can set items to bob-ombs only if you make a community. Obviously not the same as the bomb-stacking insanity that Double Dash had but better than nothing.

Yep. Not sure if it works in battle, but you can set racing to Bob-Omb only. I'll check when I get back from work later today.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just met someone on street pass who was playing the game already, but I think retailers will start selling it on wednesday.

I just met someone on street pass who was playing the game already, but I think retailers will start selling it on wednesday.

What? As in Wednesday the 30th? That'd be great, why would that happen though?

Edit: Ah, wait, never mind, just checked the OP and apparently that would only be a day or two early in some places. I'm in the US, got me excited that I might be able to pick it up a half-week earlier then expected for a second.

Codeblue

I said this in the other OT. It will be missed.

Maybe Bob-omb only racing could be pretty fun though, even if you can't carry 10 and lace the track.

It looks like you copy pasted half of my OP into yours and are hotlinking to images from the gallery I made for my thread, Chet. That track list and the video links are straight out of my thread. You could have at least asked.

Yeah, they replaced him with Metal Mario and honey Queen...

pq8ii.jpg

Capndrake

Just got an email from Nintendo Benelux saying that the Dutch version of the game actually has Dutch text, anybody in the Netherlands already have the game and know if just having your 3DS set to English keeps the game in English?

It looks like you copy pasted half of my OP into yours and are hotlinking to images from the gallery I made for my thread, Chet. That track list and the video links are straight out of my thread. You could have at least asked.

Sorry about using your screen shots and video links. I was a little pressed for time. But I guess I should have told you or given you credit. I'll give credit where credit is due.

Just got an email from Nintendo Benelux saying that the Dutch version of the game actually has Dutch text, anybody in the Netherlands already have the game and know if just having your 3DS set to English keeps the game in English?

Oh fuck no, no Dutch text please.

The track list? Seriously? You're claiming credit for the track list?

At least Chet spoilered it.

If this is true I will import from UK. Fuck my own language, I think we Dutch are one of the few people in the world who don't like to default to their own language. Never understood why so many people from other European countries do that. Ever listened to something like Dutch and German dubbed Disney shows, or even adult TV shows? Shit is HORRENDOUS.

Gefeliciteerd, je hebt de Mushroom Cup gehaald ! Ugggh....

Capndrake

Here's an example of what to expect from the PR:
Mario Kart-fans zullen smullen van zestien nieuwe parkoersen met namen als Piranha Plant-Parkours, Wario’s Wrak, Kaap Cheep Cheep, Mario’s Circuit, Shy-Guys-Bazaar en Wuhu-eiland-1. Het spel zit vol boordevol andere vernieuwingen, zoals het super-7 voorwerp, een gloednieuwe power-up die de coureur beloont met een ring van zeven verschillende voorwerpen: groen schild, rood schild, sprintpaddenstoel, banaan, Bob-omb, superster en Blooper.

I heard it's also being translated into Portuguese and Russian along with Dutch. Not sure if that effects anyone but that's what I heard.
The track list? Seriously? You're claiming credit for the track list?

At least Chet spoilered it.
No fighting.

Rlan

Watching the new tracks, I'm disappointed with a lot of them. Moreso just the theming of them -- The Wuhu Island and "Circuit" tracks are generic, and even Neo Koopa City, Daisy Hills and DK Jungle are somewhat remixes of the same theme.

My favorite levels are stuff like Tick Tock Clock, Airship Fortress, Coconut Mall, Castles and Rainbow Roads -- ones that go out of there way to be the Mario sort of weird. There are a few here, like Melody Motorway and Cheep Cheep Cape, just wish they'd go even further.

Nintendo needs to update this franchise badly. The next one should be called 'Nintendo Kart' with characters from the other Nintendo franchises. I, for one, would love to see Link, Zelda, Samus, Olimar, Ness, etc join in on the racing!

GeekyDad

Nintendo needs to update this franchise badly. The next one should be called 'Nintendo Kart' with characters from the other Nintendo franchises. I, for one, would love to see Link, Zelda, Samus, Olimar, Ness, etc join in on the racing!

Seen this idea about a lot lately, and I have to say, I would really hate that. The Mario universe is full of silly characters that fit a kart racer well. Samus? Link? Oh, dear God, no! We have Smash Bros. for all those pandering needs. No need to soil something that's already firing on all thrusters. I'm perfectly fine with mixing the series up with other, perhaps more obscure characters from the Mushroom Kingdom, but please don't put Capt. Falcon's fancy pants in my kart racer.

web01

Something like this would be amazing.
The track and item options alone would be amazing.
Give the development a larger budget like smash bros and we are talking.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Seen this idea about a lot lately, and I have to say, I would really hate that. The Mario universe is full of silly characters that fit a kart racer well. Samus? Link? Oh, dear God, no! We have Smash Bros. for all those pandering needs. No need to soil something that's already firing on all thrusters. I'm perfectly fine with mixing the series up with other, perhaps more obscure characters from the Mushroom Kingdom, but please don't put Capt. Falcon's fancy pants in my kart racer.

But we already got his Blue Falcon in MKWii! One step at a time.

DonMigs85

Remember Konami Krazy Racers? Even Gray Fox and the Easter Island head were there.
So we could have Nintendo Kart with Link on Epona, Samus in a tiny ship, Kirby on a star, etc.

But we already got his Blue Falcon in MKWii! One step at a time.

Since Wuhu Island is technically not a Mario thing (it's a Wii Sports Resort and now Pilotwings thing), we've gone another step. :)

I don't think Nintendo Kart would work in place of Mario Kart though, since too many of the game's fundamental elements (mushrooms, shells, stars) are from Mario. I think it would only come to fruition if another company decides to make a new kart racing game that's a new enough experience (e.g. Diddy Kong Racing). Maybe Sakurai if he feels tired of fighting games.

I could see a guest character, though. Sort of like how the Blue Falcoln was sort of a guest.

Berordn

I don't think Nintendo Kart would work in place of Mario Kart though, since too many of the game's fundamental elements (mushrooms, shells, stars) are from Mario.

Mario & Sonic's dream events actually pull that off rather well, but it also helps that both series complement each other stylistically. Seeing Sonic items come out of the item boxes felt pretty natural. A lot of items from SSB could be fitted into Mario Kart easily, or even replace other items (replace Bullet Bill with Ridley picking you up by the talons or something...).

Though if we ever do see a Super Smash Kart or something similar, it would definately have to be done in a particular style so it doesn't look weird when Samus Zero Lasers the bejesus out of everyone. Probably the reverse of SSB where characters become more stylized instead of bordering on realism.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Remember Konami Krazy Racers? Even Gray Fox and the Easter Island head were there.
So we could have Nintendo Kart with Link on Epona, Samus in a tiny ship, Kirby on a star, etc.

...Or Link driving a kart using the Master Sword as a Wheel!

fakie

Liked the other OT better. Oh well, it's just a thread, it won't affect the greatness of this fuckin game one bit.

Liked the other OT better. Oh well, it's just a thread, it won't affect the greatness of this fuckin game one bit.

I prefer the other OT too but this one has a lol-able title, so it's K. I expect that this game won't beat the flawless MK DS but it'll be the next best thing.

Top Bottom