• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe v1.2.0 released

jph139

Interesting that they're adding a new amiibo costume... would love to see that continue. They're a dumb little addition that I don't ever use but, eh, they're fun to look at!

Brofield

Kinda bummed boomerang returns to first slot now if you can't use your second item in the meantime.

I just want to be able to switch the order of my items with the Y button, is that so much to ask? There's nothing attached to that button anyways

"When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players."

I do not understand what this means...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks was wondering about this. Was doing an offline cup, and it was like update downloaded.

I was like wut? There was an update?

Anyways biggest thing for me is the last one. I would get some random communication errors while spectating waiting for a match. Hopefully this fixes those!

Thanks was wondering about this. Was doing an offline cup, and it was like update downloaded.

I was like wut? There was an update?

Anyways biggest thing for me is the last one. I would get some random communication errors while spectating waiting for a match. Hopefully this fixes those!

I jumped in for this fix....... Just tried joining a friend aaaaand..... Communication error 😬

Tried joining them again.... Let's see how this goes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I jumped in for this fix....... Just tried joining a friend aaaaand..... Communication error 😬

Tried joining them again.... Let's see how this goes.

Ha that's what I was getting over the weekend. I'd try and join a friend and sometimes I'd get into spectate, but then it would time out with the communication error.

"When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players."

I do not understand what this means...

I'm not sure if this was really the issue, but I the way I read it was if someone got and used the Super Horn once in an online match, no other player would ever get one from an item box for the rest of the race.

Ha that's what I was getting over the weekend. I'd try and join a friend and sometimes I'd get into spectate, but then it would time out with the communication error.

That's definitely what was happening here as well. Got in now on my second attempt.... Let's hope it keeps up.

Teppic

The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
Does this mean that you can't throw a boomerang and then use the second item in between? I hope not.

Roo

Up your VR and you'll see more 150cc and less 100cc (and then eventually 200cc, unfortunately..)
200cc and Mirror are practically nonexistent in regular lobbies tho.
For every hour you spend playing the game, you probably face 1 or 2 of these 200cc/Mirror races and that's all. They actually made them even less common in a recent update so I highly doubt they're going to be a problem.

blamite

To early to say for sure but I'm not a fan of the multiplayer balance changes so far. Way to many mushrooms and stars in the further back places, makes it less interesting to ba call there and makes the people who actually get offensive items seem more powerful than they should be. Doesn't seem to actually make it any easier took get back towards the front.

Whales

Banned
I wish they'd limit the amount of blue shells to maximum 2 per matches

Eating 3 of them in a single match is just annoying

DarkWish

So is there a new Pikmin costume? Usually in the amiibo screen it shows the costumes and then a check mark when you scan the amiibo, but I don't see anything new there after the update. Maybe it's not visible in the menu until you scan the amiibo but that'd be weird since most people wouldn't know to scan that amiibo then.

Less communication errors is the best part.

Really wish they allowed you to switch what item you use when you have 2 kinda like in double dash. It's trash you have to give up your first item to use the second.

Also why do I have his hope they will allow for more options for local play? It'll never happen and I bum myself out.

So is there a new Pikmin costume? Usually in the amiibo screen it shows the costumes and then a check mark when you scan the amiibo, but I don't see anything new there after the update. Maybe it's not visible in the menu until you scan the amiibo but that'd be weird since most people wouldn't know to scan that amiibo then.
They didn't add a new costume, just made it possible to get the Olimar costume with the new Pikmin amiibo

RaidenZR

It's probably the opposite. The Hey Pikmin amiibo probably triggers the existing Pokemon costume.

Yukinari

If they could add more amiibo outfits id appreciate that along with more improvements to online.

Like they really need to fix the empty rooms issue in tournaments.

Kebiinu

Banned
Interesting that they're supporting this game with balance patches and shit. Says a lot, compared to the Wii U version with similar issues, but no balance updates. I wonder if it'll continue!

jrDev

Kinda bummed boomerang returns to first slot now if you can't use your second item in the meantime.

I just want to be able to switch the order of my items with the Y button, is that so much to ask? There's nothing attached to that button anyways
I was thinking the other day why item switching isn't a thing for Deluxe version since you have 2 slots now? It would increase the strategy considerably!

Atheerios

You can use the second in the meantime, just did it

Bluth54

Some nice changes, I don't see a fix for item boxes sometimes not getting picked up in online when they should be.

Still cant use triggers/shoulder buttons for acceleration? :/

So many Nintendo games don't let you remap your controls. It's so weird.

Koren

Still cant use triggers/shoulder buttons for acceleration? :/
Also, I was delighted to find the "always accelerate" option, I use it all the time.

But I discovered it's disabled on Time Trial... Now I expect it to be disabled also online (?)

Why? It's not as if it's giving you any advantage, it's just not destroying you thumb...

Oh man that spinning wheel fix! I hated when the game kept giving me the same item over and over again while also making me wait 10 seconds. Good patch!

Chauzu

I played a few hours yesterday and some of the things fixed in this patch was what drove me crazy then! Half an hour in today it's such a better online experience now. Spinning wheel in particular being fixed is such a game changer.

Chauzu

Item distribution has really changed considerably. I have already gotten a star twice in 3rd place with 1st place visible in front of me. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, it feels like speed items are more common now to have less "everybody hits each other in the pack" situations.

Majora

Item distribution has really changed considerably. I have already gotten a star twice in 3rd place with 1st place visible in front of me. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, it feels like speed items are more common now to have less "everybody hits each other in the pack" situations.

That's great news, it was so frustrating to constantly get hit with weapons from behind and in front while in the middle of the pack. Shifting the balance from offensive items to speed items should help make being in the middle of the pack feel less like a punishment where you can't build up any momentum.

Just to clarify what I think they meant on the Super Horn, if you used the super horn and then another item would it block your second item due to the Super Horn effects? That's what I took it as.

Bluth54

That's great news, it was so frustrating to constantly get hit with weapons from behind and in front while in the middle of the pack. Shifting the balance from offensive items to speed items should help make being in the middle of the pack feel less like a punishment where you can't build up any momentum.

Yeah the middle of the pack in Mario Kart can really be a clusterfuck especially with 12 players. Hopefully this helps.

I played a few hours yesterday and some of the things fixed in this patch was what drove me crazy then! Half an hour in today it's such a better online experience now. Spinning wheel in particular being fixed is such a game changer.

My thoughts exactly. Great changes.

And we still haven't got the original Arena elimination rules.... You know, the reason why the cars even have balloons on it, so that you're eliminated if you lost them all.
Oh and switçhing through both stored items would also be cool.

But good changes, didn't expect so many, kinda surprising.

Top Bottom