• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8DX - Battle Mode Info/Discussion

hatchx

Banned
Hello gaf,

Well, I'm trying to stay away from Zelda threads now due to all the spoilers - I figured it might be worthwhile to talk about one of my most wanted games, Mario Kart 8DX, specifically the new battle mode. MK8 is probably my most-played gamer ever, and I always felt something missing with that half-assed, tacked-on, battle mode using regular race tracks.

I just finished listening to another Gamexplain podcast where they confirm the game has HD rumble, and apparently it's awesome. You can feel when you shoot items and such. They also confirmed the 1080p resolution bump is noticeable.

Now, I know a lot of people are disappointed that the game doesn't feature new race tracks, but what if the battle mode really makes up for it?

A couple discussion points:

1. Battle Arenas

MK8DX has shown four new battle arenas. Battle Stadium, Urchin Underpass, SNES Battle Course 1, and GCN Luigi's Mansion.
MK8D-BattleStadium.jpg
800px-MK8D-GCN-LuigisMansion.jpg
MK8D-UrchinUndrepass.jpg
MK8D-SNES-BattleCourse1.jpg

Two are new, and two are retro. How many battle arenas do you expect they will have in the final game? There has been a fairly inconsistent amount of battle arenas, with MK64 and SC having 4, Double Dash and MKDS having 6, MKWii having the highest with 10, and MK7 dropping to 6.

I would think a safe bet would be atleast 8, but 16 would be the real money (8 new, 8 retro). Personally hoping the for the following:
•GCN Pipe Plaza
•N64 Block Fort
•N64 Big Donut
•A arena on top of a Switch, carrying out the Gamecube/DS tradition. The joy cons could slowly shift off and on the Switch too.

2. New Weapons

Personally, I'm a little confused why the new weapons are coming back exclusively for battle mode. The feather is really cool, but seems kind of unnecessary. The ghost is a cool item, but seems far more fitting for racing? (Unless I'm wrong about this? do feather/ghost come back for racing too?)

3. Modes

This little image sort of leaked unofficially confirming 5 modes.

mariokart8deluxebattletypes656x308_thumb.png

Looks like Balloon Battle, Shine Thief/Shine Runners, Coin Runners, and a new one with a Piranha Plant.

A real question is whether the shine represents Shine Thief or Shine Runners. I'd prefer Shine Thief (from Double Dash) because it was a very defensive game, and would make having the feather or ghost pretty interesting.

Another thought I had about modes, was the possibility of a Battle Mode Prix. A mode where you compete with CPU in four battles, and are awarded a cup at the end with maybe some unlockable. The cup could be broken up by battle mode, or maybe it's one battle from each mode in a five battle cup? Or perhaps each of the arenas is separated by their respective cup, but I somehow doubt that. We know there will be local battle multiplayer, LAN battle multiplayer, and online battle multiplayer, but a Battle Mode Prix would really add some longevity to the game for completionists.

I know they won't include this, but I always thought it would be cool as hell to create custom Grand Prix's in Mario Kart. For example, let me choose a set number of courses, a set of weapons, a customized number of CPU racers and the individual skillset of AI (easy/medium/hard for each racer), and let me name the custom Grand Prix and share with friends. Maybe you can mix and match races and battle? Hell, take it a step further and let me draw and emblem for the Grand Prix, share it online, and check how many players get gold/silver/bronze cups on it!

They should really hire me as a designer for Mario Kart, because I have lots of simple ideas that would add replay value and longevity! (I should learn to speak Japanese first)

With all of that said, the fact that there are 5 modes leads me to believe the Battle Mode is more fleshed out that we might think. It leads me to believe there are more than the four battle areas, for one, perhaps as many as my hoped for 12-16.

4. Customization of Battle Mode

Now, this actually worries me a bit. The customization in Mario Kart is, well, painfully bad. I'm surprised after all these years they havn't taken a page out of Super Smash Bros. and allowed for far more customization.

So far, we havn't seen much, but I hope certain things are included in the battle mode:

•Turn CPU's off / customize CPUs
•Unlimited time, and elimination style (ie; classic elimination style battle mode)
•Customize weapons (imagine green shells only, bananas only, etc.)
•Play online in custom matches

Now, we also know that Mario Kart 8DX is Nintendo's first 1st party online title for the Switch. It's also the Deluxe edition to their most popular franchise and best selling WiiU title. I would think this is an opportunity to really show off the depth of the online and the integration with their *gulp* smartphone app. With custom rooms and voice chat, perhaps some of these further customized rulesets becomes available?

5. New Characters

Now I know I'm cheating because I made this thread specifically about the battle mode, but aw hell...might as well discuss it.

MK8DX has five new characters.
•King Boo
•Dry Bones
•Bowser Jr.
•Inkling Boy
•Inkling Girl

Inkling Girl and Boy are great, but the other three...well, they seem a little 'enemy/bowser castle' centric. I'm not going to pretend having my boy Dry Bones back isn't great, but it still doesn't seem like enough. AFAIK, Nintendo havn't officially come out and said that's ALL the new characters, but IIRC they basically spoiled every character reveal from the OG MK8, so they have no reason to hide other characters. Still, I'd say there is 50/50 chance of there being a couple more new characters.

Also leads me to question Diddy Kong and Birdo's omission. Why the hell are they still missing? I can only speculate that Diddy Kong Racing is in fact coming back (with Birdo), either as it's own game or some DKR-MK8DX DLC pack. But again, my fanboy dreams are digressing the thread.

Conclusion

Let's face it, Battle mode hasn't really been the same since MK64. Mario Kart DS and Double Dash had their moments, but for the most part it's been a crowded, unbalanced, side-mode that hasn't touched the addictive greatness of MK64. I attribute that largely to a lack of elimination mode and some lame arena design. It's like the mode fundamentally broke when expanding beyond four racers. Courses became so big as to accommodate a bunch of extra racers that elimination-style would be broken in such a big space (without some kind of radar), and countdown clocks were introduced. So far we've only seen 12 racers with timers and unlimited balloons.

I wonder if they can find a way to make things feel really tight and competitive again all while giving a fair shake of customization.

I think there is a lot of potential for MK8DX's Battle Mode. We certainly havn't seen everything, and the fact that they've added more modes than ever and included new weapons gets me very excited. Seems like they've really approached it from a 'let's do this right' perspective, so I remain optimistic and excited.

What are your thoughts and hopes for MK8DX's battle mode?

LordKano

Personally, I'm a little confused why the new weapons are coming back exclusively for battle mode. The feather is really cool, but seems kind of unnecessary. The ghost is a cool item, but seems far more fitting for racing? (Unless I'm wrong about this? do feather/ghost come back for racing too?)

I played some racing yesterday and people stole my items with Ghosts so yeah, they seems to be all in racing too.

hatchx

Banned
I think safe money is 4 new battle mode tracks 4 classic battle mode tracks.

With 5 modes, and the fact that MKWii had 10, I can see them having more than 8. But yes, 8 as a minimum.

Block Fort better f*cking come back.

Those screenshots look super clean, this isn't the Mario Kart 8 I know!

The game is rendered in 1080p with better AA (I think) and improved shadow quality. Also apparently has some motion blur added on boosting?

rardk64

My understanding was that the ghost was returning for racing as well. The feather is indeed only for battle mode.

Enforced

Can't wait to use the HD rumble in this game. I'm curious about that feature. They better bring back N64 block fort stage.

Biske

Are the old style battle mode tracks from 8 still in it as well? I loved battling as we drove around the track. I prefer it...

Neptonic

You are underselling my boys Dry Bones and King Boo.

I'm very excited for a real ass battle mode, but I hope they leave some of the repurposed race tracks from the old version of 8 in the game. The MooMoo ranch track was actually pretty alright as a battle map.

I thought my WiiU would hold me off for a while with BOTW, but shit.... I need this battle mode in my life.. Just take my money Nintendo...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hope we get at least 8 maps at launch, with more as DLC.

I'm going to be playing so much online MP.

lt519

Feathers are integral to Battle Mode especially for the SNES course. Hopping walls to waste peoples red shells is so much fun.

I played a match on Battle Stadium at the Switch event and it's very good—easily the biggest surprise out of MK8D, which I didn't have any intention to buy going in. It's spacious enough for full-speed pursuits but small enough for frequent skirmishes, and the layout's fluid curves and gravity bumpers are distinctly MK8.

As with the rest of MK8D, you play with a two-item bank, although unlike Double Dash you can't swap the next item in queue.

-shadow-

Will eventually get the game just for this mode. But man I hope there's more than just those four stages. The lack of battle mode really killed it as a party game for me.

atr0cious

The feather is really cool, but seems kind of unnecessary.

They should really hire me as a designer for Mario Kart
No thanks. Feather exists because SMK has the GoaT battle tracks, though the remake doesn't have nearly enough inaccessible areas. Nothing like watching someone exhaust all the boxes looking for a feather just to miss the jump.

Wow. I'm pretty sure I will get a Switch once this game comes out. Battle mode should be amazing. Hopefully online will be solid.

Roo

Will eventually get the game just for this mode. But man I hope there's more than just those four stages. The lack of battle mode really killed it as a party game for me.
Given the amount of battle submodes it's kind of safe bet we'll get another 4 battle arenas at the very least.
Not to mention they will most likely keep the old tracks from the battle mode in Wii U.

hatchx

Banned
Not to mention they will most likely keep the old tracks from the battle mode in Wii U.

I actually don't think this will happen. With brand new arenas being designed, it would be annoying to have the 8 racetracks (far inferior) constantly in the queue.

Aspiring

SinceI did a trade on my wii u i uave this pre ordered. Just a question though my 2 sons love playing split screen. Can they both use one joycon each to play or do I have to invest in a second controller?

Oregano

SinceI did a trade on my wii u i uave this pre ordered. Just a question though my 2 sons love playing split screen. Can they both use one joycon each to play or do I have to invest in a second controller?

Yup, playable with a single joycon each. Motion controls too if they want.

Please have options for 'stock mode' and not just timed along with custom CPU options. That's all it needs for me.

(And block fort)

Aspiring

Yup, playable with a single joycon each. Motion controls too if they want.

Awesome! Really looking forward to this and so are they. One of the best Wii u games for sure.

Also due to Wii u account system i never purchased the DLC. Is it all included here?

Roo

I actually don't think this will happen. With brand new arenas being designed, it would be annoying to have the 8 racetracks (far inferior) constantly in the queue.
it'd be annoying for you but they'd only add to the pool of courses available to play on.

In fact, I actually could see them adding even more racing tracks in the battle mode.
DLC tracks like Baby Park, Excitebike Arena and even SNES Rainbow Road are perfect for that mode as well.

Biske

it'd be annoying for you but they'd only add to the pool of courses available to play on.

In fact, I actually could see them adding even more racing tracks in the battle mode.
DLC tracks like Baby Park, Excitebike Arena and even SNES Rainbow Road are perfect for that mode as well.

Would be a true disappointment if they took out the race tracks.

I understand people who didn't like them, but I'm sure many of us do (though clearly gaf are racist) (eh see what I did there? racist? right? eh? eh?)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

man i really hope they don't - i'd rather only hve 8 classic style battle maps than have 16 with 50% of battle mode online be the far, far less fun race tracks

more courses doesn't mean better, and we'll already have the tracks in regular race mode

i'm eagerly awaiting a return to form for mkd8 battle mode with solid online MP and nothing would deflate my hype more than the return of race tracks with even more

RK128

While I don't think we are getting more characters outside of the confirmed five, I really feel this release of MK8 is strictly for people who skipped out on the Wii U version outright. With all the DLC content being included (characters, tracks, kart parts) and the base game + a refined battle mode, it's clear that they focused on fixing issues the original game had over adding another layer of content via race tracks.

Nintendo didn't rule out more DLC, so more single player tracks CAN happen in the future post launch. If Nintendo wants to push their online, then having a pillar Mario Kart get supported for another year would be a wise decision.

Edit: Diddy Kong STILL being missing from the game is head scratching to be honest. Unless they are really planing a DLC pack where they include him/Birdo/Dixie Kong and a few Diddy Kong Racing Tracks (Nintendo OWNS the rights to the game and have been willing to work with Microsoft in the past on things; getting DK64 on the VC for Wii U comes to mind), then I am thinking that rumor for Diddy Kong Racing 2 is happening at some point. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

ffdgh

Fingers crossed for Delphino Pier and tilt-a-kart and block fort.

You are underselling my boys Dry Bones and King Boo.

I'm very excited for a real ass battle mode, but I hope they leave some of the repurposed race tracks from the old version of 8 in the game. The MooMoo ranch track was actually pretty alright as a battle map.

On this subject, I hope they turn SNES rainbow road/Baby Park into repurposed battle courses. they'd be perfect for it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It makes a huge difference: (both in their native res, click to enhance)

If that MK8D screen is from gameplay, that looks very clean. That suggests that this game is going to look fantastic on Switch.

Top Bottom