• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8DX - Battle Mode Info/Discussion

xandaca

I played the game at the London event yesterday evening. Battle mode was great fun, but I didn't feel the rumble at all.

Not going to be getting a Switch until Odyssey but I'm still excited because more MK is always a good thing even if I already played it. While I vastly prefer the racing, I can't blame Nintendo for putting their effort into the Battle Mode this time around.

I hope they bring back at least one battle course from Wii. Wii's battle mode was a mess, but it has some great courses. My favorite Battle Mode was easily Double Dashes' Shine Thief or Bomb-omb Blast.

Also, excellent OP!

Kinsei

Banned
I'm so glad King Boo is back.

Hopefully we get a new trailer not too long after the launch of the Switch showing off more battle arenas. Surely there can't just be those 4, right?

I just am paranoid that what we have seen is it.
Maybe. I just don't see no reason to show it all off when the game doesn't release until late April. I think they give us half now and they're focusing on the Switch launch. As we get closer to April then they'll focus on MK8D since it's the only big title coming in April.

Hopefully we get a new trailer not too long after the launch of the Switch showing off more battle arenas. Surely there can't just be those 4, right?
Well, I don't think more are a given but I have some faith because they haven't even officially brought up those different Battle modes I don't think.

Yeah there seriously needs to be more.

It's kind of blowing my mind that this game is nearly three years old already. We should have a whole new game ready at this point. 4 new battle tracks would suck hard.

It's kind of blowing my mind that this game is nearly three years old already. We should have a whole new game ready at this point. 4 new battle tracks would suck hard.

Aren't they making ARMS too?

Is there a way to remove the time and just play an elimination/stock battle? Not a fan of battle mode otherwise.

I'm not sure, but again Nintendo doesn't show everything the first time. They haven't even shown all the battle modes. Probably late March they'll touch on it some more.

Spy

Is there a way to remove the time and just play an elimination/stock battle? Not a fan of battle mode otherwise.

Neoxon

The issue is that a good chunk of the MK8 team went off to do ARMS, so Mario Kart 9 likely won't happen for a while if they continue to support ARMS & MK8 Deluxe with DLC.

kubev

I'm really looking forward to the return of a proper battle mode, as that was always my favorite mode in past Mario Kart games. I'd like to see Battle Course 4 from Super Mario Kart in there. I believe that it was remade for Mario Kart Wii, and I recall it playing really well. I love Battle Course 1, but I always preferred 4. My older brother and I used to play a *ton* of battle mode. I honestly always thought that's what Mario Kart did best. Maybe the execution was off in some games, but I thought battle mode was the best place for weapons. Racing with weapons is just infuriating to me, and it makes me understand why a lot of people dislike Mario Kart, but it still baffles me that so many people seem to not care about battle mode.

I would mind being able to disable certain items, both in races and in battle mode, in either case.

Blues1990

If more Battle Maps are included (either in the base game or down the road as part of a DLC pack), I hope some of them incorporate more of MK8's mechanics, such as a Battle Map that is 100% anti-gravity.

The Big N

Banned
I wouldn't set my hopes up high. Simply because it really seems like they are trying to get it out for the Switch launch window. I'm hoping they say they will release an additional map pack 6 months down the line with 2 new battle arenas and 4-8 new tracks.

ffdgh

can't believe they left Funky out again

how do you put Funky Kong in mario kart and then take him away

I'm completely fine with that ape never returning if it means I'll never have to hear his obnoxious voice ever again...Not opposed to his return obviously.

Now if we were talking about Diddy, Petey, Wiggler, and Honey Queen...

While I don't see myself getting MK8D immediately, I will probably get it eventually. I share your hopes for more battle mode tracks. I think 8 battle tracks is likely but if they could do 7 old battle mode tracks and 7 new ones this would be my hope:

1. SNES Battle Course 1
2. MK64 Double Decker
3. GCN Luigi's Mansion
4. Wii Block Plaza
5. GBA Battle Course 2
6. DS Tart Top
7. 3DS Honeycomb Hive

Mario kart team usually doesn't remake tracks they've already remade once.

Spy

I just learned in vanilla Mario Kart 8 you can't turn off the round time and instead have to choose between one to five minutes.

Why doesn't Nintendo give us options like removing the round time altogether and disabling ghosts? All I want is something reminiscent of Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode. I would also like to see the option to set the game speed in Battle Mode to 200cc.

timshundo

So I tried MK8 DX at a preview event they other day in handheld mode and it is gorgeous. There was HD rumble but the thing is that you kinda feel the controllers rumbling all around in different places and speeds but it isn't clear what it's matching up to on screen. At no point was I like "WOW I felt that bomb explosion behind me!" It was more just like little buzzes happening at all times.

Also in all the games I played HD rumble is very light compared to the big rumble motors we're used to in traditional controllers. Curious to see the feature pan out once I get more than 2 hours with the Switch...

This is going to be the GOAT Mario Kart. Hopefully it has extensive customisation, and competent matchmaking.

Love the look of that one map with anti-gravity - hope they utilize that in some of the remaining stages.

Cleve

It's potentially bullshots, as they used in splatoon, hopefully they're accurate to in-game though. They do look good

Yukinari

Really hope we're getting at least 8 battle maps, preferably 10.

5 modes and changes to the horrible mechanics is a good start but i need to see more maps.

greelay

Mario Kart 8 was easily the best game on the Wii U, really excited to pick this game up on the Switch and enjoy the battle mode.

hatchx

Banned
No thanks. Feather exists because SMK has the GoaT battle tracks, though the remake doesn't have nearly enough inaccessible areas. Nothing like watching someone exhaust all the boxes looking for a feather just to miss the jump.

I still don't see the point of the feather in battle mode. Jumping a wall is cool, but it's primarily a defensive move, while cool for replays, isn't as useful as getting three shells, losing one from the defensive strike, and turning around with two shells? Is getting the feather often worth 'lining up the perfect defensive jump'. It only seems to work in the SNES Battle Mode level too. There doesn't seem to be a reason to jump in the other arenas unless it's over an incoming shell or banana.

It made more sense in SMK because it worked in races that had serious short cuts from hopping.

I still don't see the point of the feather in battle mode. Jumping a wall is cool, but it's primarily a defensive move, while cool for replays, isn't as useful as getting three shells, losing one from the defensive strike, and turning around with two shells? Is getting the feather often worth 'lining up the perfect defensive jump'. It only seems to work in the SNES Battle Mode level too.

What about when you steal balloons? Or use it in racing?

Coen

I'd love for there to be some deeper customisation, Smash-style. Only green shells - last man standing. Only feathers - one balloon - last man standing.

Top Bottom