• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Vs Zelda, which franchise do you perfer?

Which franchise do you like more

• Fat Plumber

Votes: 80 38.3%
  • Fairy Boy

Votes: 129 61.7%

• Total voters

clarky

Gold Member
Wow a post where we both agree. Now I never played 3D World. But just do want a sequel too Mario Odyseey. And yes BotW Durability made me quit after 2 hours. Game just bored me. Wasn't for me.
I found odessey too easy. i just sort of coasted through the game.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Wow a post where we both agree. Now I never played 3D World. But just do want a sequel too Mario Odyseey. And yes BotW Durability made me quit after 2 hours. Game just bored me. Wasn't for me.
Believe it or not but I thought 3D World was even more fun than Odyssey due to all the transformations.

Some may look down on it as a Wii U port but it's much more than that, since they bothered to make a meaty 'expansion' for it called Bowser's Fury which did not exist on the original game on Wii U.

I highly recommend it.

P.Jack

I agree about the PSX but the Saturn? I also had one and it's overall far worse than the N64 performance wise if you exclude 2D games. Both Quake and Duke Nukem 3D are sub-20fps fests, Daytona USA is 20fps, the Wipeout port is 20fps (the N64 port is 30fps). And let's not even talk about Saturn DOOM vs DOOM 64. There is nothing on either PSX or Saturn that can be remotely compared to DOOM 64 visual and performance wise.

I guess, it's a matter of what games you ended up with. I get that a lot of games by RARE had unstable performance on the N64, and these games are some of the most popular. But a game in the scope of OOT, running at 20fps isn't that bad (for the time). It's not comparable to Tomb Raider either. That one is a very simple puzzle-platformer with no analog movement, no camera control, etc and very simple, boxy environments with short draw distances. It was surpassed by Mario 64 (bigger environments, proper analog 3D movement, unlimited draw distances, stable 30fps).

OOT is way more advanced and ambitious than that. And Tomb Raider also had frame rate issues, especially on the Saturn, OOT at least was locked 20fps.
Yeah maybe you are right about the saturn, only decent performing non-arcade game I can think of is Nights. And yeah Doom 64 is great but clearly an outlier.
Utter nonsense.
I mean, ofcourse they age but if you enjoyed a game 30 years ago, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t enjoy it now. Maybe I should’ve expressed it as good gameplay doesn’t age.

clarky

Gold Member
Believe it or not but I thought 3D World was even more fun than Odyssey due to all the transformations.

Some may look down on it as a Wii U port but it's much more than that, since they bothered to make a meaty 'expansion' for it called Bowser's Fury which did not exist on the original game on Wii U.

I highly recommend it.
Loved 3d world, for the same reasons. Awesome game.

Gosh this is a tough choice, I couldn't imagine a world where videogames exist but either one of these franchises don't. They're so radically different, and have each contributed so much to their respective genres. Based on how many games I have played and enjoyed, I'd say Zalda over Mario by a bit.

Mario by a good margin.

I love the *idea* (and vibe) of Zelda, but with controller in hand, the series is very hit or miss for me. Too many tedious elements in many of the games. Majora's Mask and BOTW are two of my all-time favorites though.

Trogdor1123

Mario for me. Mario 64 is the ne of the greatest games ever made. It still holds up.

The Zelda series is great too though. I didn’t really get into botw though. The weapon mechanics drove me nuts.

You win either way

begotten

They're not even comparable but lets have a look at each franchise and see how many actual 8-10/10s there are for each.

Mario:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario TTYD
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Zelda:

Link to The Past
Links Awakening
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
A Link Between Worlds

Pretty even. I didn't want to put Majora's Mask in but I had to for the N64 hipsters who compare it to OOT because of how deep it is.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Zelda by quite a bit. As for Mario they are great games but I’ve always been more into the 2d games.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Good thread and tough choice but Ill go Zelda.

Like it or not BOTW was a step forward for the franchise. I haven't played Odyssey but is it really different from the 3D Mario games before that?

Kev Kev

Like it or not BOTW was a step forward for the franchise.
100%

skyward sword had me quite worried about the future of the series. and then botw blows my tits off and becomes my favorite game of all time. even if youre not as fond of it as i was, its hard to deny it was absolutely a big step in the right direction after skyward sword.

Last edited:
Hmm. For poll purposes I chose Mario since that's what I grew up with and what I can play in short sessions, although Zelda is the better series overall. And now, some scorching hot takes:

Mario 3 > Mario World. Fight me IRL.

The best game on the Super Nintendo is a Zelda game. The second best game on the Super Nintendo is a Yoshi game. The third best game on the Super Nintendo is a Samus game. So Mario is 4th in line, sorry. (Not sorry)

New Super Mario Bros U, despite having a boring and uninspired aesthetic and soundtrack, is is the best game in the "new" 2D line. The original NSMB on the DS is a close second. NSMBWii and NSMB2 suck donkey balls.

Despite having an almost tear-inducing nostalgic segment (the Pauline "Jump Up Superstar" sequence) and very high production values, Mario Odyssey is boring and uninspired, and I think the 3D platforming gameplay started with Mario 64 is at a creative end.

No shield needed. Come at me, brahs.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I honestly think it's a tie for me. I can't actually pick one over the other. If a mainline entry of either one is out, it's pretty much the best thing ever.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mario Odyssey is boring and uninspired, and I think the 3D platforming gameplay started with Mario 64 is at a creative end.
bkrh7t4.jpg

I'm sorry... but... what???

bkrh7t4.jpg

I'm sorry... but... what???
Facts.

To extend my ever-heating hot takes, I think the most fun I had with a 3D Mario game was... Super Mario 3D World.

I like the emphasis on platforming. Not so much the "open exploration" and "collectathon" stuff. Different strokes for different folks, and all that 🤷🏾‍♂️

93xfan

Banned
LOVE Zelda, but have to go with Mario.

Mario 3 and 64 are at the top of my list of my all time favorites. Plus, World, 2, Sunshine, Bowser’s Fury and Maker 2 are all awesome!

Ocarina, Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda (NES), Breath of the Wild, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker are all masterpieces too though.

Well these days (switch era) definitely Mario. But in the past, it's pretty hard to choose. Both franchises have their high points over the other.

I voted for Mario. It's iconic. But I did come across this gem that I wanted to share:

maxresdefault.jpg

There is a video that goes with it, but it's annoying and will give you seizures...

Somehow I knew I'd be getting this, even though I've never seen it before.

kunonabi

Zelda has more games I outright hate but the highs are generally higher than Mario so I suppose I'd go Zelda.

Hmm. For poll purposes I chose Mario since that's what I grew up with and what I can play in short sessions, although Zelda is the better series overall. And now, some scorching hot takes:

Mario 3 > Mario World. Fight me IRL.

The best game on the Super Nintendo is a Zelda game. The second best game on the Super Nintendo is a Yoshi game. The third best game on the Super Nintendo is a Samus game. So Mario is 4th in line, sorry. (Not sorry)

New Super Mario Bros U, despite having a boring and uninspired aesthetic and soundtrack, is is the best game in the "new" 2D line. The original NSMB on the DS is a close second. NSMBWii and NSMB2 suck donkey balls.

Despite having an almost tear-inducing nostalgic segment (the Pauline "Jump Up Superstar" sequence) and very high production values, Mario Odyssey is boring and uninspired, and I think the 3D platforming gameplay started with Mario 64 is at a creative end.

No shield needed. Come at me, brahs.

I'll see your Mario 3 > World (which I agree with) and raise you a Zelda 2 > Mario World.

Zelda II was flawed but uniquely genius, while Mario World was deprecated in comparison to its predecessor. Less variety and challenge, and it was the first step too far into exploration, which has never suited Mario as well as his contemporaries (Samus, Link).

I'd swap Super Metroid (Samus) and LttP (Link) on the SNES list, personally. But then, Super Metroid defined and perfected a subgenre. LttP, while up there as well, left room for growth (see: Link's Awakening and Link Between Worlds).

Any better launch title than Super mario world?

Oh, a few.

Last edited:

Lillie

the simplicity of mario games is nice tbh, you don't have to think too much which is a pain with today's games imo, and somtimes with zelda

Last edited:
I'll see your Mario 3 > World (which I agree with) and raise you a Zelda 2 > Mario World.

Zelda II was flawed but uniquely genius, while Mario World was deprecated in comparison to its predecessor. Less variety and challenge, and it was the first step too far into exploration, which has never suited Mario as well as his contemporaries (Samus, Link).

I'd swap Super Metroid (Samus) and LttP (Link) on the SNES list, personally. But then, Super Metroid defined and perfected a subgenre. LttP, while up there as well, left room for growth (see: Link's Awakening and Link Between Worlds).

Oh, a few.
I'll mark your post for when I finally get around to playing Zelda 2 which I haven't played yet.

Link's Awakening expanded upon the practically perfect base that Link to the Past established. And Link Between Worlds (as much as I love that game) is just a remake with a (admittedly cool) new mechanic thrown in. Still a remake though. All of that is to say, that Link to the Past has more impact than the other two games, and stands as the giant on top of the Super Nintendo heap.

I thought that the genre wasn't perfected until Symphony of the Night? That's not a troll question, since I do think Super Metroid is unquestionably a masterpiece of a game.

chixdiggit

Tough one. I have a lot of fond memories playing both and back when I was a kid I would have definitely said Zelda.
But.... I do feel for me the Mario titles hold up better. I have no interest in replaying any of the Zelda titles but you could throw in almost any Mario title and keep me occupied.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I thought that the genre wasn't perfected until Symphony of the Night? That's not a troll question, since I do think Super Metroid is unquestionably a masterpiece of a game.
The difference between castlevania metroidvanias and metroid metroidvanias is the castlevania stuff tends to have more variety when it comes to gameplay, setting, story, music, etc
Metroid never really evolved past Super in terms of basic gameplay loop, even the prime games are guilty of just being metroid, but 3d
i wouldn't want an open world metroid because making it open world would remove all of the great level design that metroidvanias have but we clearly need SOMETHING to spice up the gameplay a little more

Mario 3 was and is perfect. Remember beating World, getting bored, and going back to 3.

It is so fucking good.

Both series have some hit and miss entries but overall I’m way more interested in the future of Mario than the future of Zelda.

Both have and will continue to evolve but I feel like Mario has more freedom to do whatever.

I can see new interesting things with Mario, not sure where they’re going to go after BotW 2. Feels like such a pure, idealized version of what Zelda was always meant to be. I wouldn’t want to be faced with that challenge.

With Mario, the powers can shape the experience. A whole game can be made around some new gimmick, sure for better or worse but Zelda will always be Zelda.

That’s not a bad thing, both are exemplary series. Happy to have them both.

Team fat boy or whatever

clarky

Gold Member
super-mario-video-game.gif

-Halo
-Super Mario 64
-Ridge Racer
-Fantavision
-Duck Hunt
-Sonic Adventure
3 out of 7 not bad.

Mario 3 didn't realize that was a launch title, I was More of an Amiga guy around that time (UK). Fantasic game though, The SNES and MD on import was when i got into console gaming.

Halo for sure though how could I forget that one.

-Ridge Racer
-Fantavision
-Duck Hunt
-Sonic Adventure

None of these hold a candle to SMW imo of course.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Mario. Sure Mario had a few stumbles and dips, but I haven't been truly impressed with Zelda for 20 years while Mario is still pumping out must-have games I won't think twice about buying.

Odyssey was really needed because BOTW, their most important game, was a huge letdown.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Does Mario include Mario Kart, etc? If so, that. But Zelda vs mainline Mario I would say Zelda has had higher highs.

Top Bottom