• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg wants to price the consumer Oculus Rift at 'the lowest cost possible'

I think it might be a good idea to follow the Epic UE4 model -- give the SDK to developers for free, then collect a 5% royalty on every Oculus game sold.
There's a large difference though as UE4 is just software. It doesn't cost anything to physically manufacture.

QaaQer

Oh, and as to Zuckerberg's character: Facebook became profitable partially on the back of scam ads and was complicit with Zynga. http://techcrunch.com/2009/10/31/scamville-the-social-gaming-ecosystem-of-hell/

it is a hardware product and it wont require any software besides the configuration tool. If it will collect personal data, it will be known in one day and hurt the Oculus. I doubt FB would want such a scandal...

make it cheap enough, and most wont care.

Guy.brush

Not sure I understand yet how they plan to get the needed GPU power to the masses?
Will Zuckerberg also include a ducktaped dGPU in the OR bundle?

Faith

Not sure I understand yet how they plan to get the needed GPU power to the masses?
By the time Oculus Rift becomes mainstream you will have 10Tflops GPUs (from Intel) in notebooks.

Kurdel

Banned

Their target audience will be adults with disposable income, so even buying a 750 ti at 150$ isn't expensive.

jaaz

Just like Instagram?...

Stop the Facebook hate. You're not going to be forced to login into Facebook to play your Steam games. Maybe there will be some sort of Facebook Oculus store, but it's been said over and over again that you'll always be free to use the hardware elsewhere like on Steam games.

Please show me the links where "it's been said over and over again" that you will never need to have a FB account and sign on to FB to use any version of the Oculus.

Oh and I don't hate FB, I just don't want to be forced to use it. How is that hating it? You seem quite sensitive when anyone shows any concern about seeing FB intertwined with the Oculus. "Leave FB alone?!?"

Faith

Please show me the links where "it's been said over and over again" that you will never need to have a FB account and sign on to FB to use any version of the Oculus.

Oh and I don't hate FB, I just don't want to be forced to use it. How is that hating it? You seem quite sensitive when anyone shows any concern about seeing FB intertwined with the Oculus. "Leave FB alone?!?"
It's the PC. They can't force you anything.

Seanspeed

Banned

It may not be you, but since the announcement, there was endless, and I mean endless 'assume the worst' comments based on the logic 'Facebook = bad' and pretty much nothing else. That calmed down once Oculus got back to keeping the talk about VR, but the second Zuckerberg's name gets brought up again, the same simple-minded comments come out again. For people who are following VR news, it has gotten very tiring to hear.

There's a few valid concerns about a locked ecosystem and whatnot, but overall, things will probably be turn out far better than these 'assume the worst' people are thinking.

Lucifon

I honestly think that in the end Oculus is going to change peoples' perception of Facebook, not the other way around. Mark has a chance to become a truly respected visionary with his acquiring of Oculus if he doesn't meddle with it in the wrong ways.

I agree completely. The potential for VR is huge, and being the leading product in that market is equally as huge.

CTLance

Yessss, pour all those facebook monies into the Rift so I can get it for cheap.
Well, "cheap" is probably over the top, but "inexpensive" would be fine.

I might actually warm up to the facebook deal now.

Jeez. People hate Facebook enough to spin at-cost hardware as a negative lol.

Yes it is a negative. Facebook isn't Sony or Microsoft. They don't want you to buy it to make money on software down the line. They want you to buy it so they can push their number one product, which is advertising. That's how they'll make their money. Personally I'd rather spend more initially and have an open platform free of ads.

If it is able to be used without logging in to an account or viewing ads then great. But I don't see it happening. I firmly believe it will have ads, and there will be bugger all anyone can ever do about it (ok so about a week until it's hacked wide open).

syko de4d

Don't you need a gaming quality PC to play with the OR?

Yes, thats why devs shouldnt aim for super crazy graphics with VR. You need good res, high fps, 3D and good AA. I dont even know if there is any consumer PC that will run Star Citizen on CV1 at the resolution and fps Oculus aims for.

But that can all change when we realize foveate rendering via ultra good eye tracking :D

Thanati

I see VR is in good hands. And by good hands I mean someone who sees it only as a new way to force people to sit through ads and sell all their personal information. Oh goody gum drops.

Why would you even think this? Ridiculous. They know that if you force people to view ads if VR it would wreck the experience, so there is no chance they're going to mess it up like that. Just because Facebook ''owns' Oculus, you are NOT going to see things like ads.

Top Bottom