• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Deadpool Animated TV Series From Donald Glover Ordered By FXX

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Im excited but confused. Fox only owns the film rights for Deadpool, or am I wrong? Does this mean Marvel has to give the okay for this?

EDIT - Ah I see the article mentions it's a collaboration between FX and ABC.

Fox has to get permission from Marvel/Disney to make any TV series based on the X-Men. That's why Legion, The Gifted and Deadpool are Fox/Marvel co-produtions.

This is why I'm hopeful this that cooperation is a sign that Marvel will get the Fantastic Four rights from Fox.

Stupid question, but is that guy Danny Glover's son?

This seems to be separate from the current line of Marvel cartoons (Avengers Assemble, Guardians of the Galaxy, & whatever Spider-Man cartoon is coming up).

Why?

Im excited but confused. Fox only owns the film rights for Deadpool, or am I wrong? Does this mean Marvel has to give the okay for this?

EDIT - Ah I see the article mentions it's a collaboration between FX and ABC.

It still begs the question on why they went with FXX for this. I'm presuming part of the reason is because it's adult in nature, something that DisneyXD and Freeform wouldn't carry and ABC doesn't do cartoons, and they want Marvel products everywhere, but they could have gone with netflix, hulu, amazon, etc. I wonder if there's more to this.

Overall this is good news though, Marvel started addressing their Live TV side and is expanding on that, they are addressing their game side, and - I hope - they are now addressing their animation and animated feature movies side, which has been sorely lacking.

Prompto

Banned
Sweet. Sucks it's on FXX and not FX though.

Also I wonder since it's not live action if there can be some cross over with other Marvel characters besides the X-Men.

kewlmyc

I guess the network is looking to replace Archer soon and need something to fill that niche? Looking forward to it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Wasn't deadpool in the Spider-Man cartoon?

He was! One of the few good episodes of the current show.

As long as this doesn't the same horrible animation as the other Marvel animated shows on right now, I'm down. Donald Glover is a funny dude, I have faith.

It's true for cartoons too. TV rights are TV rights.

This is part of the reason people are hopeful for the F4 in the MCU. It seems unlikely Marvel did a complete 180 with Fox for nothing in return.

Not really, IIRC Disney bought the animation tv rights to spiderman from Sony, but according to the leaked emails from 2014, sony still had some rights to live action TV for spiderman.

It also doesn't seem unlikely that they gave up something for pretty nothing. See the 2015 Sony deal.

Well according to the press release, Marvel Television, not Marvel Animation, is coproducing Deadpool.

That doesn't mean they don't own the animation rights.

Theorry

Br00TCn.gif

Not really, IIRC Disney bought the animation tv rights to spiderman from Sony, but according to the leaked emails from 2014, sony still had some rights to live action TV for spiderman.

It also doesn't seem unlikely that they gave up something for pretty nothing. See the 2015 Sony deal.

That doesn't mean they don't own the animation rights.

What 2015 Sony deal? The one where Spider-Man is now in the MCU?

Wow, this came out of nowhere! It's great to see Fox and Marvel working so well together! Maybe there really IS a secret "F4 is back with Marvel" megaton announcement in the works.

I wonder if it'll be like the movie and just focus on the movie's characters + some X-Men here and there or if because it's TV and animated, they get to have characters from all of Marvel.

TuXx

Ha! Knew this was gonna happen, minus Donald Glover being involved.

Let the Deadpool over consumption comence!

Top Bottom