• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
In doubt, the black actor is in BP

Future marvel movies will have problem casting black actors because they would be all appeared in BP
Or Marvel will finally give non-household name actors great platforms to become superstars that everyone knows.

This is absolutely false. RDJ has been acting since 1970 and hasn't had more than a 2 year gap between projects since 1983.

He may not have been a marquee name throughout that whole time but he had steady work throughout the drug problems and arrests. He was in 29 films between 1983 and 1996 including Chaplin, for which he was nominated for an Oscar.

And that's before considering the fact that his father was a fairly successful Actor/Writer/Director.

Downey was rich as hell at a very young age. That's the primary reason he had so much trouble with drugs. Something that plagued a lot of 80's era child actors that saw success (Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, Drew Barrymore, etc.. etc..).
If he truly didn't have a slump, then you're informing at least two of us of something we didn't know. Based on things Downey himself has said, I always had thought the worst of his time right before Iron Man as well.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New Infinity War promo pics:

DLpxztaX4AAvo7E.jpg

DLpt1wVX0AcFVJc.jpg:orig

source: https://vk.com/marvel_studios?w=wall-28416224_293099

It's not a 100% Infinity War promotional stand.

Hawkeye, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther and Hulkbuster cutouts are all from Age of Ultron.

Sulik2

So Ragnarok is officially a comedy? Interesting. I was hoping for more of a Winter Soldier tone but hey as long as it's good I'm happy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So Ragnarok is officially a comedy? Interesting. I was hoping for more of a Winter Soldier tone but hey as long as it's good I'm happy.

What? I mean, as soon as you knew who the director was, you know what type of film this was going to be.

Yeah I can't imagine why Marvel would hire someone like him to direct and then not have him do his signature style. That's like the entire reason you hire a director like him. It's not like they're LucasFilm, Marvel knows what they're doin'.

If he truly didn't have a slump, then you're informing at least two of us of something we didn't know. Based on things Downey himself has said, I always had thought the worst of his time right before Iron Man as well.

You have to consider context. He went from rising star who was nominated for an Oscar.. to in and out of jail and rehab. Constantly struggling on a personal level and creatively mailing in most of his performances.

But that doesn't mean that he was hard up for money or having trouble getting steady work.

You have to consider context. He went from rising star who was nominated for an Oscar.. to in and out of jail and rehab. Constantly struggling on a personal level and creatively mailing in most of his performances.

But that doesn't mean that he was hard up for money or having trouble getting steady work.

He was hard up for work. Before Iron Man 1, he was broke because almost no one would hire him. Shane Black, who directed IM 3 and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang said " had taken a chance on Downey when nobody else in town would."

Just because he was popular long before doesn't mean he somehow has a limitless amount of cash. He was arrested and went to rehab before Black gave him a shot in KKBB.

He was hard up for work. Before Iron Man 1, he was broke because almost no one would hire him. Shane Black, who directed IM 3 and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang said " had taken a chance on Downey when nobody else in town would."

Just because he was popular long before doesn't mean he somehow has a limitless amount of cash. He was arrested and went to rehab before Black gave him a shot in KKBB.

KKBB released in 2005. From 2000-2002 he was in Ally McBeal (was let go when he was arrested with drug charges). 2003 he was in Gothika and The Singing Detective. 2005 also saw him in Game 6 and Good Night, Good Luck.

Again... I point out that he had no larger than a 2 year gap between projects in his entire career since 1983. 44 Projects (Counting Ally McBeal as a single project) from 1983 to 2005, excluding the 3 movies he was in in 2005.

I stress again, that you have to take the comments in context. KKBB was absolutely a turning point in RDJ's career trajectory. Without it, he's less likely to get tapped for Iron Man and who knows what happens with regards to his destructive habits. But we're not talking about career trajectory as much as we're talking about name recognition and steady work. And that was steady work co-starring next to marquee names. Was he getting Oscar bait roles? Nope. But you don't need Oscar bait roles to make a great living as an actor. He wasn't hard up for cash at all.

Top Bottom