• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

Volimar

It is apparent that full on summoner squirrel is discouraged due to lack of appropriate gear. Guess I should try hybrid or melee.

MimHfzH.gif

Manbig

I'll never get the push to make these kinds of games difficult. I would argue that an overwhelming majority of the people that play these games don't really give a shit about it being difficult, but just want to mop the floor with the faces of the mobs and bosses. This probably goes doubly so for a Superhero/Supervillain setting.

The difficulty should come in some form of ladder, or other special mode dedicated to providing that challenge, like what the Danger Room was supposed to be about.

I'll never get the push to make these kinds of games difficult. I would argue that an overwhelming majority of the people that play these games don't really give a shit about it being difficult, but just want to mop the floor with the faces of the mobs and bosses. This probably goes doubly so for a Superhero/Supervillain setting.

The difficulty should come in some form of ladder, or other special mode dedicated to providing that challenge, like what the Danger Room was supposed to be about.

Personally, I always loved the challenge that the limited lives rule presented, in game modes like Danger Room and the old Group Challenge. Having to play cautiously and the risk of failure is something I enjoy. The game feels less pedestrian that way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there are a bunch of new summoner arts btw, or rather, a bunch of old arts now have summoner dmg on them

a meta achievement for completing 6 - 10 of the secret achievements in mystic, 10th one comes with event end of this month and rewards a new flourish

E1hz12V.gif

DrBo42

Really should have done cosmic trial before the changes. It's practically impossible on my roster right now. Everyone is so much weaker.

just so you guys know omega items arent being worked on right now.

the current plan is make cosmic items slot 1 - 5 be around or better thna uniques. they then do a massive unique drop for achievements. uniques then only drop for current players and cosmic becomes the new uniques for everyone, then omega items appear.

a dev on a tc last week posted that they arent working on omega items yet. and asros just stated the above.

DrBo42

the current plan is make cosmic items slot 1 - 5 be around or better thna uniques. they then do a massive unique drop for achievements. uniques then only drop for current players and cosmic becomes the new uniques for everyone, then omega items appear.

a dev on a tc last week posted that they arent working on omega items yet. and asros just stated the above.

This doesn't make any sense. Why make an item with lore ties to the character inferior to a generic cosmic item?

We're in the process of revamping how common, uncommon, rare, epic and cosmic armor(slot 1-5) function at this very moment in order for those items to be a much better base to work from before we make omega items.

More information will come as we get closer to launch of them.

from asros so yea

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This doesn't make any sense. Why make an item with lore ties to the character inferior to a generic cosmic item?

Because they are are being phased out, I guess. Omega items will be stronger than cosmics and are close in function to how uniques currently work? In like 4 years when the fucking get released that is.

Altairre

Been playing some Phoenix Jean Grey and it's a lot of fun. Hadn't played her in a while and they've made some great changes and added a couple of neat skills. I enjoy aoe heroes and she might be my favorite one for now. Going to try Storm next.

Xevren

Really happy with X23 post update, the charges on her signature are great. With talents you'll be able to get a charge back using an ability under trance which is easy, so basically able to keep using it. It's great.

Moondrop

Banned
Really should have done cosmic trial before the changes. It's practically impossible on my roster right now. Everyone is so much weaker.
Use this opportunity to pass with characters that are hot right now. My Thing crushed it with one skill, no legendary, junk artifacts, and lvl60 gear. I anticipate cruising with Reed, Rocket, and Storm next.

I think this is my "what the fuck are the devs thinking" moment. Releasing the big patch without omega items? Ok, you have a limited team and you need to get them totally off the one project before they can focus on the next- whatever. But omega items were supposed to modify skill mechanics- they should have been conceived in coordination with the massive power overhaul.

Is it possible that omega items have been fully planned out, just not programmed and implemented? Possible, but extremely unlikely given this new information. No, it seems that they've introduced a gear overhaul project before starting on the omega item project. If the TBD omega item project is starting more or less from scratch, it's difficult to imagine they will modify skill mechanics meaningfully. Rather omega item effects will just be uniques 2.0, with fairly inconsequential changes like Emma's Cyclops pet or "shoot 3 fireballs instead of 2."

I can't believe I got tricked again into having expectations.

Volimar

Well that's...disappointing. You don't need to phase shit out as long as you give the player base notice. When you phase out you leave everyone in a holding pattern not know what to build for.

I don't want them to get rid of uniques...

Use this opportunity to pass with characters that are hot right now. My Thing crushed it with one skill, no legendary, junk artifacts, and lvl60 gear. I anticipate cruising with Reed, Rocket, and Storm next.

I think this is my "what the fuck are the devs thinking" moment. Releasing the big patch without omega items? Ok, you have a limited team and you need to get them totally off the one project before they can focus on the next- whatever. But omega items were supposed to modify skill mechanics- they should have been conceived in coordination with the massive power overhaul.

Is it possible that omega items have been fully planned out, just not programmed and implemented? Possible, but extremely unlikely given this new information. No, it seems that they've introduced a gear overhaul project before starting on the omega item project. If the TBD omega item project is starting more or less from scratch, it's difficult to imagine they will modify skill mechanics meaningfully. Rather omega item effects will just be uniques 2.0, with fairly inconsequential changes like Emma's Cyclops pet or "shoot 3 fireballs instead of 2."

I can't believe I got tricked again into having expectations.

It has been mentioned multiple times now, but Omega gear won't be made till all revamped character designs are finalized. Just look at how much Angela and Blade changed after the big update. What would be the sense in having Omega items (which alter powers) made if you're going to change a character's power kit soon after?

Still paying attention to this wild ride solely to see what dumb shit Gaz pulls off next. It's fucking incredible how poorly they have been handling, and are continuing to handle, this game for the last year+. Incredible in the literal sense of "I cannot believe the people in charge of developing this game are such complete and total hacks." I've seen posters on their forums who'd make better lead designers than whoever is in charge right now. God bless those people for still thinking this game will un-fuck itself.

Moondrop

Banned
It has been mentioned multiple times now, but Omega gear won't be made till all revamped character designs are finalized. Just look at how much Angela and Blade changed after the big update. What would be the sense in having Omega items (which alter powers) made if you're going to change a character's power kit soon after?
Your argument appears to support my own. Power kits inevitably need to be modified, either sooner or later. Given that, which of the following workflow situations is more reasonable?

Scenario A: You revamp the powers while simultaneously designing the items that interact with the powers. Should there be some coding friction in the items, it's no big deal as the power design is still hot and fresh in your mind and yet to be released. And then after release when the kit needs to be changed, you alter those specific powers and the specific omegas tied to them.

Scenario B: You revamp the powers and hit publish, vowing to design the items that interact with powers at a later date. In the meantime, you continue to adjust powers as necessary. When the time to begin the omega item project arrives, months down the line, it's not just a matter of the details being fresh. Wouldn't you need to do an evaluation of all powers and their current status in the metagame before deciding on which powers to spend time and money creating "build-defining" effects? Thus this project either devolves into another mini-review of every hero in the game... or you skip it all by making the omega effects inconsequential.

I acknowledge these are merely mental scenarios and I'm certainly not trying to put words in your mouth. But I'm having a real hard time understanding the recent moves without making unkind judgments.

Your argument appears to support my own. Power kits inevitably need to be modified, either sooner or later. Given that, which of the following workflow situations is more reasonable?

Scenario A: You revamp the powers while simultaneously designing the items that interact with the powers. Should there be some coding friction in the items, it's no big deal as the power design is still hot and fresh in your mind and yet to be released. And then after release when the kit needs to be changed, you alter those specific powers and the specific omegas tied to them.

Scenario B: You revamp the powers and hit publish, vowing to design the items that interact with powers at a later date. In the meantime, you continue to adjust powers as necessary. When the time to begin the omega item project arrives, months down the line, it's not just a matter of the details being fresh. Wouldn't you need to do an evaluation of all powers and their current status in the metagame before deciding on which powers to spend time and money creating "build-defining" effects? Thus this project either devolves into another mini-review of every hero in the game... or you skip it all by making the omega effects inconsequential.

I acknowledge these are merely mental scenarios and I'm certainly not trying to put words in your mouth. But I'm having a real hard time understanding the recent moves without making unkind judgments.

You would need to do an evaluation in both scenarios anyway, but in doing so later like scenario B, you can at least see where the characters have landed before taking them to new places. It's better, IMO, to allow metas and builds grow and breathe before you decide on what and how Omega items should interact with. This is how Blizzard does their set bonuses in D3 and they've turned out great. Gaz doesn't have the resources to keep flip-flopping, so it doesn't make sense to evaluate, implement, and test Omegas only to have to redo the process every time a hero is touched (which will be often if the past few weeks are any indication). They haven't even revamped epic and cosmic gear yet, and those don't even affect hero powers. Like you said a few posts ago, I think your expectations are just too high.

Edit: I also forgot that the Omega items are meant to be for the Omega difficulties, which of course aren't in the game yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the point of the difficulty slider if cosmic versions of patrols still exist as a seperate button?

Ploid 3.0

Managed to get to 1056 infinity points before the story mode level 60 Exp nerf. I wish I didn't do anything but farm exp after the big patch went up. Now to find the next best way to exp and do that non stop before they nerf it more. Infinity points are so boring to get, I can't actually spend them until billions of exp later.

DrBo42

I'm actually quite liking the movement changes after a week-ish of consistent play. Definitely makes dodging telegraphs and paying attention a little more vital. Doesn't exactly lend to the movement heroes like Silver Surfer or NC though.

Animation lock changes will hopefully further help. Melee still doesn't feel great though. Think they just need more range or a bigger cone on their hit radius and maybe some better feedback when you're hitting.

Overall it's pretty solid but they really needed to time itemization changes with the drop. Good lord what a fuck up that was/continues to be. Now we just need some more end game zones or a danger room with effort put into it. It really needs an addicting area like Nephalem Rifts and terminals/patrols just aren't doing it.

S.H.I.E.L.D. SUPPLY DROPS & BOOST CHANGES
S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Drops are a new system introduced with this update that offers a new way to increase your chances of earning loot alongside RIF and SIF!

By right-clicking your XP bar, you can switch over to the new S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Point bar. By default, you will not accumulate points for this meter - once you activate at least 1 stack of the new S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Boosts, however, any enemies you defeat in any region (except for Raid zones) will award points towards filling your S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points bar. Each region awards different amounts of S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points per enemy defeated based on the region's difficulty and enemy population, to balance S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply point gains in regions where there are fewer enemies to defeat or harder enemies that take longer to defeat. Note: At launch, the only zone where S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points will not scale with difficulty are Danger Room scenarios; Danger Room scenarios will award the same amount of points per enemy defeated regardless of scenario difficulty. In the future, we plan to adjust Danger Room scenarios in this regard as well.

Using additional S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Boosts will increase both the S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points multiplier for points earned from defeated enemies, as well as extend the duration of your S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Boost.

Once you've defeated enough enemies to fully fill your S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points bar, you'll be instantly rewarded with a S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply box containing a wide variety of bonus loot! These S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply boxes can award a wide variety of different possible items, including:

Common Rewards including: Eternity Splinters, Slot 1-5 Items (weapons & armor), Cosmic Catalysts

Rare Rewards including: Vanity pets, Boss-specific Uniques or Artifacts, Rare Runes

Additionally, there is a rare chance that S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply boxes will award a jackpot bonus when opened which can contain epic items including:

Random Costume or Hero Boxes

Ultimate Upgrade Tokens

Cosmic Artifacts

These S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply boxes are awarded at the level of the Hero you are playing at the time you fill your S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points bar. So, for example, if you earn a S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply box on your level 60 Hero, the S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply box will have a level 60 requirement and drop level 60 items.

more boxes lol

Boost Changes

With the introduction of Bonus Item Find, we are also updating the different types of Boosts that we make available in the in-game store. Bonus Item Find Boosts will be replacing all forms of RIF and SIF Boosts, and we have consolidated some of our previous Boosts to fit into the new Boost system as well. The four types of Boosts that will be available now are:

S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Boost - Gain increased S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points for 30 minutes. Each stack increases the S.H.I.E.L.D. Supply Points multiplier (up to 5x), and the duration of the Boost by 30 minutes. Additional Boosts consumed beyond 5 stacks will continue to add to the duration of the Boost.

Experience Boost - Gain increased Experience for 30 minutes. Each stack increases the XP multiplier (up to 200%), and extends the duration of the Boost by 30 minutes. Additional Boosts consumed beyond 5 stacks will continue to add to the duration of the Boost.

Currency Boost - Gain increased Credit, Danger Room Merits, and Odin Marks for 30 minutes. Each stack increases the amount of bonus currency earned (up to +200 Credits per drop, +50% Danger Room Merits per Victory Chest, and +5 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat) and extends the duration of the Boost by 30 minutes. Additional Boosts consumed beyond 5 stacks will continue to add to the duration of the Boost.

Combination Boost - Gain 1 stack of all 3 individual Boosts listed above for 30 minutes, up to a maximum of 5 stacks. Additional Boosts consumed beyond 5 stacks will continue to add to the duration of the Boosts.

Beyond purchasing these Boosts in the in-game store (purchased directly or within Fortune Cards) or via the Boost Exchange vendor with Boost Vouchers, the new Boosts can also be acquired in-game via:

Daily Login Gifts

Fortune Card Mark I purchased from Clea with Cube Shards

Boost Vouchers

With the above Boost changes going into effect, your existing Boosts can be exchanged at special vendors within Avenger's Tower for Boost Vouchers!

Any Boost that previously increased RIF, SIF or XP or currency rewards can be exchanged at the Boost Exchange vendor for varying amounts of Boost Vouchers depending on the magnitude and duration of the particular Boost being exchanged.

The Boost Voucher Exchange vendor standing next to the Boost Exchange vendor will then allow you to spend your Boost Vouchers on any of the new Boosts listed above.

If you prefer, you can keep your existing Boosts and consume them as normal - any existing Boosts you currently own have not had their effects changed. The choice is yours, however please note that any exchanges are final and cannot be

DrBo42

I like the idea of hitting X experience and getting a box. The Division implemented that as well, it's a nice reward outside of doing an activity.

Edit: You either have to buy a boost first or trade cube shards for a fortune card to start getting points. Box I got was super shit, who knows if they're even worth it.

In other news they completely broke the animation for Iron Man's Death From Above. Sigh, Gaz.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So the shield thing is just the new name for the bonus item find mechanic? NEAT.

Rhaknar

spent like 2 hours and almost all my credits (but I had those 500k credit boxes tho) transfering blessings and rebinding arts on all my heroes because of the new stats. That was fun >_>

Really wish I hadnt destroyed all those white suit jackets now tho :(

Xevren

I honestly haven't used a boost in ages so traded some in, the supply stuff isn't bad at all. Managed to get some good stuff out of it and a number of splinters. Was running the skrull terminal with a group and it was great.

Volimar

I keep forgetting how much I enjoy Rogue.

I honestly haven't used a boost in ages so traded some in, the supply stuff isn't bad at all. Managed to get some good stuff out of it and a number of splinters. Was running the skrull terminal with a group and it was great.

I'll probably trade in all my RIF/SIF boosts and just hang on to exp boosts for cosmic prestige.

Finally, one of longest standing and biggest issues with the game is being addressed.

Greetings everyone!

Some of you may have noticed the hero updates slow down slightly this week, and though that was partially due to bug fixes, we've also taken some time out to resolve a long-standing friction point with almost all heroes - Animation Lock.

Shipping with the next patch, we have vastly opened up our Animation Cancelling feature, and have allowed most cooldown and non-spammable powers to be animation cancelled shortly after their 'contact time', or 'the point at which the power deals damage'. Powers can never be cancelled before the contact time, so you don't have to worry about cancelling out of a power before it hits.

Additionally, we took the time to analyze every single animation in the game regarding its lock time - how much time between the moment the power is activated to the moment the power deals damage. This time frame is always going to prevent further power activation and movement, since cancelling is only allowed after the power has dealt damage. Any animations that were found to be excessively long have been trimmed down, and some animations have been replaced entirely with new, crisper, more responsive animations.

In total, over 400 Hero Powers have been changed to better their responsiveness in this pass.

Rhaknar

lack of second bar is starting to get to me on a lot of heroes. Its like im always missing just 1 more slot ideally :/

Anoregon

I can buy over 100 shield boosts due to all the old SIF and RIF bars and boosts I've never used. I guess that's nice

Rhaknar

Blackbolt and summoner changes are live in the test center

Ploid 3.0

I hope summoner turn out ok. I since summons share stats of their master, things should be less crappy to gear for when Gaz start making changes. That was one of the problems I had, with Gaz's take on summoner classes. Making so many changes, sometimes weekly, then when I want to give up and make the character non summoner, the gear I collected for summoner would be useless (bound stuff back then).

Top Bottom