• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mary Skelter: Nightmares |OT| Die Schwestern Grimm

Saphirax

Up to Chapter 2, my only complaint so far is the dub is missing in several areas. Switched to the Japanese dub because I dislike scenes with emptyness.

I'm enjoying it so far, I hope the dungeons themes change (which I assume they will), whats the point in the affection mechanic? Is it just for bonus voices?

Oh I also messaged IFI if we'll get the themes in EU, just waiting for a response.

Affection determines which character’s ending you’ll get.

And you know when we choose said ending ? I'm on chapter 5 and everyone I have in the party is already maxed.

I believe all else being equal it's the slot the character is in that determines which ending you get (1st slot get priority, then 2nd slot etc, )

On chapter 7 and just got
Hameln
. The difficulty had already picked up significantly this chapter, but she was easily the toughest fight of the (Horror) run so far. She gave zero fucks about Cover and could pretty much one-shot the entire party with a single attack. Only won because of Kaguya spamming debuffs, Gretel spamming boosted healing items and Cinderella spamming Rage Rush.

So yeah, got everyone now. I'm using the above 3 + Alice/Thumbelina and can't really see this changing, though I may need to shake jobs up if my paladin keeps getting bypassed. Those 5 are pretty much my favourite characters anyway. Especially Gretel. Holy shit Gretel.

It is. After ~10h it finally feels like a game with a proper budget and polish (for a game by IF). I'm a fan of their games for a long time now, but this is a huge step up above most recent games from them.

Or just the complete opposite of MeiQ if you like.
Yeah, also a long time fan and really impressed by this. I've enjoyed a lot of their other games (especially Trillion) but it's usually in spite of their numerous flaws, where as this feels significantly more polished and a step up in practically every way.

And you know when we choose said ending ? I'm on chapter 5 and everyone I have in the party is already maxed.
Elaugaufein said it already, but if you have characters with tied affection it's apparently decided by who's 1st in your party order when you beat the final boss. Not sure if you also need the true ending criteria to get the character endings.

Gradon

IFI messaged me back, the themes are up on EU store now!

Also I'm kinda stuck on Chap 2
Graveyard, floor 3. What do I do with the moving blocks with arrows on them? There's a candle on fire too and I can't figure it out?
thanks!

SephLuis

IFI messaged me back, the themes are up on EU store now!

Also I'm kinda stuck on Chap 2
Graveyard, floor 3. What do I do with the moving blocks with arrows on them? There's a candle on fire too and I can't figure it out?
thanks!

Tip: There's an arrow in each block, it's the hint.

Answer:
The arrow points to where the shot will come out. So you have to position each block to make the arrow travel to where you want

Saphirax

Stuck in the Temple, Area 2. I've pretty much explored everywhere, but I've no idea where to get the key for the door at X:034 Y:027. I probably missed something obvious.

Edit: Figures I'd figure it out right after posting :p.

Not a very good idea giving you 2 ranged characters at the start of chapter 2 and making you either lower the difficulty from horror or cheese the fight (dlc armor) you have to do to get Alice and RRH back. Ended up dying 4 times and having to rewatch all the cutscenes because I kept going without saving before then.

SephLuis

Not a very good idea giving you 2 ranged characters at the start of chapter 2 and making you either lower the difficulty from horror or cheese the fight (dlc armor) you have to do to get Alice and RRH back. Ended up dying 4 times and having to rewatch all the cutscenes because I kept going without saving before then.

It's interesting because it forces the player to avoid fighting. I ran as fast as I could to find the event where I would reunite with the other two.

Cleared the postgame dungeon! Also picked up the platinum along the way, so I guess I'm all Skeltered out. Since this thread has about as much life as the chapter 2 graveyard, I'll just ramble for a bit.

The crushing weight of the post-completion melancholy that's now hitting me is testament to just how much I enjoyed this game. Repeating myself here, but this is definitely the most polished effort I've seen from CH/IF, with its aesthetics Towering above their other titles I've played. I'd been hyped about the premise and setting since the dawn of time, so I was hugely relieved that they managed to do it justice.

In hindsight, playing through on Horror was the right choice. The difficulty fluctuated between easy and Alice Must Die but was generally manageable throughout, meaning I didn't need to grind at all. Unusually, the hardest fight was the final boss, partially because I didn't have a good grip of the
mechanics for giant battles
initially, and partially because I wasn't used to
getting hit by attacks that did 150-200% of my entire party's HP which I couldn't debuff
. In the end it was a skill I hadn't used once throughout the entire game that largely got me through it.

Final party was Alice (Paladin), Cinderella (Marshal) in front, with Kaguya (Speed Gunner), Gretel (Item Meister) and Thumbelina (Blood Witch) in the back. Building AGI and trying to blow everything up quickly worked up until a point, but began falling apart towards the end, when enemy speeds started going through the Jail's roof. Bosses were largely manageable with debuffs, with a couple of painful exceptions.

Generally loved the characters, some far more than others. I'll try to avoid turning this into a pro-Gretel rant, but her design, intellect, unabashed amorality and social eccentricities won me over faster than you can say "gingerbread house". Of the secondary characters, she had the most interesting chapter story and initial interactions with the party, and once she joined, she actually kept a prominent place in the rest of the game's events (unlike some of the others who got sidelined). Also found her personal events the most entertaining out of everyone's.
When she drove Rapunzel to tears with a giant, sweet-eating grin on her face while Jack watched in disbelief I nearly died.

Have some grievances, including characteristically odd design/balance decisions (whoever was responsible for treasure chest contents needs to be shot) and an ending(s) that didn't live up to what'd come before it. That aside, it's easily my GOTY and I'm hugely looking forward to the sequel, coming never. Still have the LE's mini-novel and the in-game prologue to read through, so I'll get on that when I wake up tomorrow.

Unusual reason to bump a thread, but I felt there wasn't enough Gretel fan-art in the world and commissioned some. To say it turned out better than expected would be an understatement:

Iyj1Qij.png

Unusual reason to bump a thread, but I felt there wasn't enough Gretel fan-art in the world and commissioned some. To say it turned out better than expected would be an understatement:

That looks pretty great(el).

I wish I had more to say about the game, but I still haven't had much time to play it. I keep getting distracted by other recent releases.

autoduelist

So I'm loving the game so far. I'm only in Chapter 3, but so far I've like the dungeons/puzzles - some nice tricks for so soon in the game, which gives me hope dungeon design gets even more complex later.

I'm playing on Horror... which feels just about right. I kind of think there should be one more difficultly level above it, but at least hard isn't a cakewalk.

It's not perfect - even though loot has both levels and modifiers, implying a nice variety, most of my characters are still wielding only their second weapon or so. I'm not even upgrading them because I hoard everything, including blood crystals.

The second boss was nice and hard, and I actually used some inventory items to make it through, which I almost never do.

I like how each character has their own job set, and keeps skills from every job... but I wish you didn't just unlock all skills from a job at once. Like, maybe unlock one every couple levels or something, because this just makes it feel like 'get 10 levels, switch job' to unlock everything, since you can still put points into anything unlocked. But all in all, it's interesting... especially since I'm not using any skill guides, so picking a new class can change their role considerably. Though being a item hoarder, it's hard for me to switch my item meister to a new skill and lose the drop rate passive.

I haven't used the devolve command yet either... it doesn't feel necessary at all. I guess my gut feeling is that the jobs and devolve system needed just another 10 minutes in the oven, because both have lots of potential, but aren't quite perfect. Making skills tiered [unlocking more as you level a class], and much more expensive [so that you felt the need to devolve to get skill points for upgrades] would have been a nice improvement which dialed in the mechanics. Something like 1 skill point per 3 levels, rather than 1 per level. [1 per level seems to give me all I'd ever need, since I don't need to level every skill... 1 per 3 levels would leave me skill point poor, getting me to risk devolving]

Atmosphere is great. Some of the art in the dungeons is just pure creepy, which is impressive, though on the other hand sometimes it's hard to know if something can be triggered by a skill.

I think that's the point, though. It's meant to test you. I loved it... I was playing on horror, and not particularly leveled, so I had to go in there, explore a tunnel, get in 1 random fight, and rabbit out of there. Once I leveled once, I could survive a 'fixed' battle and explore those tunnels a bit more. I couldn't just overrun an entire dungeon in one go, finishing each 'branch' became the challenge for that go before I had to go back to base to heal. I love that type of challenge. As soon as I got my whole team together I felt OP as hell.

Top Bottom