• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masi Oka: Death Note creators "loved" the Netflix adaptation of Death Note.

KSweeley

THR reported that Masi Oka stated that the producers for the Netflix Death Note movie did consult with the creators of Death Note and that they were shown the movie and that they "loved it": http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/death-note-brings-gritty-footage-comic-con-1022777

Director Adam Wingard addressed the challenge of the Netflix project: "The fact that their hasn’t been a satisfying Manga adaptation made in the U.S. is why we wanted to do it."

Fans got a closer look at the origins of Death Note Thursday at San Diego Comic-Con, and were reassured the film would break the curse of Manga-to-film adaptations.

"For us, it was an opportunity to take something with a great premise and to breath new life into it," said director Adam Wingard of the original Manga. "In a lot of way [Death Note] is the ultimate genre mash-up."

He added: “The fact that their hasn’t been a satisfying Manga adaptation made in the U.S. is why we wanted to do it.”

Producer Masi Oka added that the production made sure to consult with the Death Note creators.

"We showed it to them at a screening in Japan and they said they loved it," he said.

Izuna

Banned
It looks dope af

Anime S2 was trash

Movie was bad but had a better ending

This could be the definitive one.

HeatBoost

Considering the sheer amount of dubious Death Note spin off material and live action versions already available, I don't really think the Death Note folks are holding derivative works of their material to a high standard

I did not like the Japanese live action film.
I did not like the J-drama version of the show.

I'm going to give this a chance. It might be good.

Lucumo

Pff, isn't that the "adaption" with the blackwashing of a character? I guess I'm fine with authors getting paid a bunch but still, meh.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I did not like the Japanese live action film.
I did not like the J-drama version of the show.

I'm going to give this a chance. It might be good.

So you dont like the series than. Vuz the 2 live action films were the best version of deathnote and had thr best ending.

So you dont like the series than. Vuz the 2 live action films were the best version of deathnote and had thr best ending.

I love the anime but I just could not get into the live action stuff. It just did not meet my expectations regarding pacing, acting, music and quality of dialogue. It just felt like it dragged on and lacked the dramatic flair of the anime adaptation.

The J-drama had horrendous acting. It just felt really hammy, the CG looked cheap, and I didn't like the shift into light as an everyman type character instead of a privileged genius. It just didn't really gel with me and I couldnt get past the first episode.

I like the premise, I like the world of death note, and maybe because I have so much love for it that I feel very strict about the interpretations of it

Laiza

And Toriyama Liked Dragon Ball Evolution.
Actually, Toriyama disliked Evolution so much that it functionally brought him back to writing for Dragon Ball again just to make sure no one else messes it up. (Of course, later on he would find Super's quality to be shameful, but thankfully that has been at least partially rectified more recently.)

I like the anime and could barely make it through the first live action movie. Was put off so much by it that I didn't bother watching the rest. Haven't seen the J-drama though.

Pein

Banned
Actually, Toriyama disliked Evolution so much that it functionally brought him back to writing for Dragon Ball again just to make sure no one else messes it up. (Of course, later on he would find Super's quality to be shameful, but thankfully that has been at least partially rectified more recently.)

for real he said that?

Mailbox

I don't really take creator's opinions on an adaptation seriously until the adaptation has been out for a few years.

There are so many manga that get an OVA which the creator had some involvement in which they would hype as being "amazing" or stating stuff like "people will be pleasantly surprised". Yet when these OVAs, movies, or whatever come out, they end up being dumbed down, poorly written, poorly made, and betray the characters and work in as many ways as possible.

While this situation is different since this Netflix and this is very much so an americanized Death Note adaptation, I can't take their word for it unfortunately.

for real he said that?

Sorta. He just said he was complaining about the show's quality.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-history-book-akira-toriyama-introduction/
I had put Dragon Ball behind me, but seeing how much that live-action film ticked me off3, and how I revised that script for the anime movie4 and complained about the quality of the TV anime5, I suppose somewhere along the line it’s become a series I like too much to ever leave alone.

(Its unsure if he's talking about Kai or Super here, but its likely Super all things considered)

I don't really take creator's opinions on an adaptation seriously until the adaptation has been out for a few years.

There are so many manga that get an OVA which the creator had some involvement in which they would hype as being "amazing" or stating stuff like "people will be pleasantly surprised". Yet when these OVAs, movies, or whatever come out, they end up being dumbed down, poorly written, poorly made, and betray the characters and work in as many ways as possible.

Yeah, I feel like this happens every time an adaption of an anime/manga is coming out.

Doesn't just happen with manga either :p
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqgdNVTcRA

i dont trust them

L should have won

Would've been cool if S1 was about Kira completely winning, and S2 did an alternate timeline where L won. I don't like the whole "there's a new L" premise S2 put out, but it would be satisfying to see both character have the chance to play their cards right.

jett

D-Member
Director Adam Wingard addressed the challenge of the Netflix project: "The fact that their hasn't been a satisfying Manga adaptation made in the U.S. is why we wanted to do it."
BVbv7ZY.gif

Top Bottom