• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

so you don't want them to explain how joker left the field?

I would like a proper explanation of Jokers lil jaunt. You know this "do or die" battle that if they fail means utter annihilation for all organics. Yes I would love to see them explain why
Joker and your loyal comrades ran away,
because in my books that is unexplainable. Now from that screenshot I can quite easily piece together how they are going to explain it and it stinks.

rhino4evr

It's not like they are going to change the ending. They will probably just add some extra scenes, a proper end boss fight would be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

My guess is that if you hated the ending, this new DLC wont change that.

It's not like they are going to change the ending. They will probably just add some extra scenes, a proper end boss fight would be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

My guess is that if you hated the ending, this new DLC wont change that.

Basically. They've said there aren't any gameplay changes, just added cutscenes and epilogue slides.

And after this big blow up, I doubt the ending slides will be anything but sunshine and rainbow endings anyway.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They'll add a cutscene where Shepard tells everyone to get the hell out of the system. Bam, done.

They added a scene to show why Joker and a random assortment of your crew peace out right before you visit star child. That still leads right into that weird scene of the Normandy running away from *insert color* and crashing on magic jungle planet that may or may not have chipboard plants.
Who said that they added this scene? If I look at the pic, I see this:
cF0mb.jpg

I am still expecting to get a shitty ending. I just want to see my results somehow.

They'll add a cutscene where Shepard tells everyone to get the hell out of the system. Bam, done.

How did you guess :p the screenshot with Mac "Hack" Walters has the subtitle that says :-

Hackett saying: All fleets! The Crucible is armed. Disengage and head to the rendezvous point.

You know this "do or die" battle where everything completely and utterly depends on the success of this and where one moment ago they were throwing everything at it no matter what the cost.

Part of me is tempted to not try this. I'm completely satisfied with the
indoctrination theory
explanation and these added scenes could ruin that perspective.

No it really wasn't. Not even a little bit. Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game with a shitty ending. The whole thing through was amazing.

It had a handful of high points but overall it was a complete and utter rush job. Bioware clearly decided to just roll it out the door and rely on the fact that there would be customers such as yourself that are willing to cut them some slack or unable to see just how much of a shit show the game is/was.

The ending was poor but that was just one of number of half-assed things you could encounter in the game.

The very existence of a patch like this shows how much of a fucking mess their development cycle was.

How did you guess :p the screenshot with Mac "Hack" Walters has the subtitle that says :-

Hackett saying: All fleets! The Crucible is armed. Disengage and head to the rendezvous point.

You know this "do or die" battle where everything completely and utterly depends on the success of this and where one moment ago they were throwing everything at it no matter what the cost.
So, we have more folks who, with Joker, ended up on jungle planet perhaps?

televator

so you don't want them to explain how joker left the field?

Although "How?" is important as far as how everyone including your ground crew was swept away by Joker, the more important question one must ask is "Why?" The very notion of your WHOLE crew abandoning their task simply because Shepard may or may not be dead is a choice of action that conflicts with the well established characteristics of damn near everyone there.

In addition, I remember there being speculation about many elements -- including your crew escaping "safely" -- not being literal and more of Shep's last dream or hope. This left some ground to say that perhaps your crew did actually stay in the fight, but this scene in the EC only serves to put more solid emphasis that it is literally true that your crew made a run for it.

Dany

Banned
I really wanted a better ending but the closer we get, the more I think Bioware could deliver additional pain.

Yeah. This DLC is going to cause more damage than good. It doesn't matter what bioware does. Which I hate, I want bioware to redeam themselves in some way and they want to have their fans back but...I dunno. This entire DLC is icky from them backing down from their ending to listening to fan feedback. But again the ending was SHIT.

I dunno what to think anymore. I've fallen back into the cycle.

So, we have more folks who, with Joker, ended up on jungle planet perhaps?

Nope the way it will probably work is like this
Admiral Hackett issues the "runaway" order, the fleet will start to evacuate the area (you know leaving the crucible completely defenseless but who gives a shit it is our only shot). The Normandy will be one of the last ships to leave and just before it leaves there will probably be a message from your earth based team mates saying they are in a shuttle and approaching the Normandy. So Joker hangs around waiting for the team mates.

Eventually the Normandy does fly off to the "rendezvous point" but they are too late and get caught in the explosion and land on Old Git World. Meanwhile the rest of the fleet around Earth were obviously not damaged at all during the explosion because they escaped in time and thus FTL is just a butterfly's fart away now because they are completely undamaged and so no one died or got hunger pangs that day whatsoever.
That is basically how I think they are going to explain Jokers lil Jaunt.

nel e nel

***WILD SPECULATION***

Been pondering the info that's come out, and gonna take a wild guess here:

- I think that because they suggest starting at the Cerberus base assault, one of the 'extra scenes' will be extra dialogue with
the Prothean VI, and perhaps it will foreshadow the starchild. Something along the lines of "we discovered evidence of the race that created the Reapers but were overrun before we could investigate further"
. Something like that so it's less of a coming-out-of-left-field moment.

- I'm hoping we get some minor cutscenes of some of the assets we acquired in battle.
Jack's biotic squad, Kirrahe's shadow corps, maybe some Elcor infantry (fingers crossed)

- and they've already mentioned an Epilogue, so that will be the 'where are they now' segment that so many folks wanted.

And - most probably - some bits showing what led up to Joker fleeing the battlefield.

You can't just add in some extra scenes to make things right, the entire ending to mass effect is fucked because of the stupidity of the ME3 ending planning from the get go.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The most infuriating part of the ending is the
Xzibit 'killer synthetics to save you from killer synthetics' shit.
If that hasn't changed then it will still be total nonsense, no matter how many vignettes they stick on the end.

***WILD SPECULATION***

Been pondering the info that's come out, and gonna take a wild guess here:

- I think that because they suggest starting at the Cerberus base assault, one of the 'extra scenes' will be extra dialogue with
the Prothean VI, and perhaps it will foreshadow the starchild. Something along the lines of "we discovered evidence of the race that created the Reapers but were overrun before we could investigate further"
. Something like that so it's less of a coming-out-of-left-field moment.

Jessica Merizan tweeted that all of the EC content happens after the "long walk" through London.

Jessica Merizan said:
@Fantazyer No all the content is in the final mission after the long walk through London :)

https://twitter.com/JessicaMerizan/status/216301483191308288

nel e nel

FYI, the actual caption from that photo on the Mass Effect site is:

"Mac Walters reviews the scene where Joker disengages the fight on Earth"

Jessica Merizan tweeted that all of the EC content happens after the "long walk" through London.

Well, there goes that hypothesis.

The most infuriating part of the ending is the
Xzibit 'killer synthetics to save you from killer synthetics' shit.
If that hasn't changed then it will still be total nonsense, no matter how many vignettes they stick on the end.

I'm okay with that explanation as long as the game acknowledged that it's wrong. I can accept the logic behind the Reapers being flawed, but as it is now, the game presents that as absolute truth and it's fucking absurd.

The very idea of
synthetic will ALWAYS destroy organics
goes against everything the last two games have shown us about
synthetics, which is that they only seem to kill organics in self-defense or when the Reapers tell them to

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Theres a very sad and very small part of me that still is holding out that BioWare will actually use the Indoctrination theory, especially the fact that the EC is 1.6 gigs but I know deep down that its not the case.

The worst part though is that most of the community basically spoon fed this theory to BioWare, they came up with so much supporting stuff from even the very opening of the game and prior games so that even though it wasnt their original ending or intention they could have very easily passed it off as though it were and most people wouldnt be the wiser or care. They could have easily claimed the greatest trolling in gaming history and come out looking good. Instead theyre doubling down on their shitty ending and simply going into greater detail as to why their shitty ending is so shitty.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... we still have to use pre-
Cerberus Base
saves in spite of that? What a pain.

If you already have a save on Earth, i suppose it will still work.

"Joker, get the hell out of here! Shit's gonna blow!"
*welp*
Terrible cop out though.

I think what we will probably see is
Joker going to Earth to grab Shepard and the rest of crew to flee, but he only gets there AFTER Shepard went through the beam(It will at least explain how our crew got on the Normandy) and someone like Hackett might tell him that Shepard is nowhere to be found or something like that. Maybe Hackett believes Shepard is already dead, i forgot... did Hackett and Shepard talked to each other on the Crucible?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Maybe but at the same time the new EC might require triggers from decisions you made at the Cerberus base and it requires you make them with the EC and it wont simply read the current save files choices.

DTKT

Any idea if they will do a retail release with the new content? Have they mentioned anything?

Highly unlikely. All the DLC has been MP and all free. There is no point is releasing a GOTY edition for now.

And since I doubt we'll see any SP DLC, a remastered version of ME3 is unlikely.

Pie Lord

So... we still have to use pre-
Cerberus Base
saves in spite of that? What a pain.
I'm starting to suspect pre-
Cerberus Base
saves are being mentioned because that is when your EMS, and thus the ending, are locked.

Joker going to Earth to grab Shepard and the rest of crew to flee, but he only gets there AFTER Shepard went through the beam(It will at least explain how our crew got on the Normandy) and someone like Hackett might tell him that Shepard is nowhere to be found or something like that. Maybe Hackett believes Shepard is already dead, i forgot... did Hackett and Shepard talked to each other on the Crucible?

Hackett acts like everyone on the ground got wiped out by Harbinger, but then he calls Shepard on the Citadel to say that the Crucible's not working right before everything goes super dumb

For that last bit, they do...but it doesn't make sense in context. Like, at all.

No Cerberus Base content, it seems.

Wtf?! Okay Bioware from that POS podcast and now this it is obvious keeping your fan base is not a priority. I was planning on giving the series a final hoorah with finishing my FemShep's story but now it looks like I won't waste my time. Game was sold weeks ago; jumped off the sinking ship.

Youtube and Gaf meltdowns here I come. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Karak

You can't just add in some extra scenes to make things right, the entire ending to mass effect is fucked because of the stupidity of the ME3 ending planning from the get go.

Agreed. Its over and some extra scenes to shore up their shit really doesn't do much for me personally.

OK, so I just finished watching The Indoctrination Theory - A Documentary part 2 (here is part 1 if you haven't seen it) and I actually have high hopes for the Extended Cut DLC now. If indoctrination theory isn't true then I'll be blown away. I believed it before, but now I think it's the only thing that makes sense and must be what was intended. Not much time left now till we finally have more clues as to what actually happened at the end of ME3 and why nothing about the ending makes any sense.

TheYanger

OK, so I just finished watching The Indoctrination Theory - A Documentary part 2 (here is part 1 if you haven't seen it) and I actually have high hopes for the Extended Cut DLC now. If indoctrination theory isn't true then I'll be blown away. I believed it before, but now I think it's the only thing that makes sense and must be what was intended. Not much time left now till we finally have more clues as to what actually happened at the end of ME3 and why nothing about the ending makes any sense.

Bio already said ti wasn't true months ago.

The cynical part of me believes Indoctrination Theory will only be further hinted at but you need 20,000 effective readiness or something that requires absolute perfection in a playthrough of all three titles to max readiness.

rozay

Banned
you realize this is only adding 7 minutes of clarification to the current ending, right?

Top Bottom