• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 James Vega Featurette

shep2y2gp.gif

Sadly, people will blame this on EA.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Time to go back to that thread where people posted hilarious results from custom avatar creation, especially from ME2 and the like. Cannot wait to see those in action.

*edited out due to possible epilepsy bouts*

Osietra

Banned
I just hope with the 'you have to play it online' to get the best ending will mean that 360 owners (who were with this for the start, passively or actively) get a special code that allows them to have a chance of experience the best ending, without having to pay for Gold membership. That would be amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
Well this was clever.

Joel Green wrote...

Definitely not a mistake

When the weapon has overheated, it will produce those sounds and fire nothing but steam until you replace the heatsink with a new one. This works the same way as it did in ME2, just with better feedback as to what's happening. It occured to me one night in a dream (not even joking) that the ME1 beeps should be there. When I put them in, it just felt... right... {smilie}

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There were a few things I didn't expect to see in the trailer for a character that nothing to do with the character, I will be surprised if there is anything left that they haven't shown at this point, but that is Mass Effect trailers for you I guess.

Freddie Prinze Jr. is looking old.

Still not sure why we have this silly over the top macho man instead of say that british guy from the first ME3 trailer, he would have been awesome. Macho man would have been awesome and completely forgivable if he was voiced by Arny mind, that alone would be worth the release date asking price.

I just hope with the 'you have to play it online' to get the best ending will mean that 360 owners (who were with this for the start, passively or actively) get a special code that allows them to have a chance of experience the best ending, without having to pay for Gold membership. That would be amazing.
Haven't they already said that you can get the "best" ending without having to take part in their on-line thing, Galaxy at war is it called?
It will just require you to do more in the SP campaign or something.

Facial animations aside
though it's proven a great derail that's once again turned yet another Mass Effect 3 information thread into a 'shit on Mass Effect franchise and Bioware' thread
I'm pleasantly surprised with the direction they're taking Vega. We all know why he's there and the appeal they're hoping he brings to the table, but I have to give them credit for doing something deeper with the character and potentially making some powerful commentary on the psychology of solider both during and after war.

Freddie Prinze Jr.'s presentation impressed me overall. Color me surprised and optimistic on Vega.

Luthos

I never thought ME's facial animations were that great. Or animations in general. (walk left in conversations, then back right, then stop again.) But Shepard during that fist fight was especially bad.

Also, Freddie Prinze Jr is a cool guy. Too bad he voices someone like Vega. =\

Osietra

Banned
Freddie Prinze Jr. is looking old.

Haven't they already said that you can get the "best" ending without having to take part in their on-line thing, Galaxy at war is it called?
It will just require you to do more in the SP campaign or something.
So it works almost like an IAP ?

Clever I guess.

Zen

Banned
I think it's pretty clear that they haven't implemented the facial expressions in that scene yet.

Will be buying this, if only to see how certain characters' stories turn out (Mordin, Garrus, Jack, namely). Will be buying this despite James Vega, who just seems like a horrible, dude-bro addition. Game needs less humans, more aliens.

The game needs more interesting human characters like Ashley. Now I never did like Ashley as a person in ME1, but damn if she wasn't compelling to have in your crew.

I think this silly dudebro character might actually be a good addition if they use his viewpoints on war and dealing with trauma as a foil for Shepard to deal with his/her own issues and experiences.

We barely got any actual characterization of Shepard, any internal reflection in ME2. One rare instance is when Liara asks how your character feels about how things have gone during Lair of the Shadow Broker, and you can actually answer that you're pessimistic, or frustrated and afraid.

The game needs more interesting human characters like Ashley. Now I never did like Ashley as a person in ME1, but damn if she wasn't compelling to have in your crew.

I think this silly dudebro character might actually be a good addition if they use his viewpoints on war and dealing with trauma as a foil for Shepard to deal with his/her own issues and experiences.

We barely got any actual characterization of Shepard, any internal reflection in ME2. One rare instance is when Liara asks how your character feels about how things have gone during Lair of the Shadow Broker, and you can actually answer that you're pessimistic, or frustrated and afraid.

Worst-case scenario, he's Jacob 2.0.

JerkShep

I wouldn't mind him in a large party like in ME2, with 10-12 squadmates. But with 6 squadmates (7 with DLC?)..meh. There are a lot of not-killable characters out there, they should've used them, not this Jersey Shore guy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's kinda weird how bad the animation is in this fist fight compared to everything else i've seen of the game.

I thought the thread was just overreacting...then I saw the gif....THEN I WATCHED THE VIDEO. :LOL. C'mon Bioware, at least have his eyes focused on Vega. He really does look like one of those inflatable punching bags with the sand in em.

Kinyou

It's kinda weird how bad the animation is in this fist fight compared to everything else i've seen of the game.
I would hardly mind if it was a full blown RPG but they just keep promoting it as an action game, so you just end up comparing it to games like Gears of War.

Replicant

Can't wait to see that clip on youtube with people's ugly custom characters, lol.

To be fair, for some reason some of the facial animations work BETTER on custom-made characters than on male Shep for some reason. In ME2 during the "I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel" sequence, default MaleShep looks like a pedobear about to get his candy whereas my custom character actually looks charming.

Haha oh wow, even though I'm really looking forward to ME3, that sparring scene looked bad. They'd be better off just having a normal conversation.

that sparring segment in the video was embarrassingly terrible compared to the other stuff

I wonder how its going to play off if you play as Femshep. I know chicks can fight, but it wouldnt seem realistic with Vega taking out his frustration on a chick like that... or maybe it does. And I'm guessing/hoping its an optional thing like he says, "Want to spar with my Shep?" and you say, "Fuck off".

Petrichor

Don't think I've ever been in a situation where I've known the entire story of a game before it came out..... and still wantedto buy it.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder how its going to play off if you play as Femshep. I know chicks can fight, but it wouldnt seem realistic with Vega taking out his frustration on a chick like that... or maybe it does. And I'm guessing/hoping its an optional thing like he says, "Want to spar with my Shep?" and you say, "Fuck off".

BSG Unfinished Business

To be fair, for some reason some of the facial animations work BETTER on custom-made characters than on male Shep for some reason. In ME2 during the "I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel" sequence, default MaleShep looks like a pedobear about to get his candy whereas my custom character actually looks charming.

Yeah, it's always puzzling why default Shepard looks so awful in that particular scene lol. My character never looks that grotesque.

I really hope the devs notice these comments. ME has always had some iffy facial expressions at times, but good lord...

We're far past the deadline to change textures and animation.

Or maybe we're not. Who knows.

Yup, you're probably right. I'm just kidding myself at this point.

But damn, so bad compared to what's been shown. I thought this would have the most expressive facial animations out of the bunch. But that video says otherwise. :(

Derrick01

Banned
I doubt that this video was filmed recently, I mean, one of the designers tweeted about doing a RPG elements episode like 2 months ago and still we have no sign of that.

It's coming, they have to get the important stuff like multiplayer, more explosions, and Vega shown off first.

Yeah I'm still bitter.

And he's voiced by Freddie Prinze Jr?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
This keeps getting better and better!

So, going off of FPJ's description of James, he has the same personality as Shepherd? Great.

edit: The guy actually comes off super legit here. Dang, I'm impressed. Maybe he'll actually make Vega not suck.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What does everyone have againt this Freddy dude? Or is this another case of "haters gonna hate" on ME3? He seems like a cool guy.

Jarmel

Banned
And he's voiced by Freddie Prinze Jr?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
This keeps getting better and better!

So, going off of FPJ's description of James, he has the same personality as Shepherd? Great.

edit: The guy actually comes off super legit here. Dang, I'm impressed. Maybe he'll actually make Vega not suck.

He's supposed to serve as a foil it seems. It would be great if Shepard actually discusses some of his hard calls and his own issues.

Top Bottom