• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

It goes deeper than that once you got to know her better, but basically yea. I just found her "loyalty mission" or whatever you want to call it underwhelming and felt she should have been romanceable. Just a personal opinion.

Always found it hilarious that they went way out of their way to make it to where we could **** Iron Bull with a dwarf, but Vivienne had zero romance arc.

Vivienne can die in a ditch for all I care, I hated her. I LOVED how she was written, which is precisely why I hated her. What is it with BioWare in making mages such wonderful people you want to punch in the face (Morrigan, Wynne, Vivienne, Solas after Trespasser)? Only Dorian is the real loveable bro who won't chastise you 24/7 or walk around like he's superior to everyone.

According to shinobi they're more or less able to discuss everything within the first seven or so hours of the game, including missions, narrative beats, and squadmates, with the exception of how the Ryders become the pathfinder.

And yes, there should be a general press preview thread to compile them all.

Damn. I don't want to read any of this, but I know I won't be able to help myself at all.

It goes deeper than that once you got to know her better, but basically yea. I just found her "loyalty mission" or whatever you want to call it underwhelming and felt she should have been romanceable. Just a personal opinion.

Always found it hilarious that they went way out of their way to make it to where we could **** Iron Bull with a dwarf, but Vivienne had zero romance arc.
I liked that Vivienne wasn't romanceable but her loyalty "mission" sucked big time. Bioware had to have run out of time with half of the companions.
Vivienne had this aloof personality that made her unapproachable in the best ways. I don't think a romance would have captured that nicely and it'd tread very similar grounds to cassandra. I guess they could have switched the two.

I hope Bioware takes DAI as an example going forward as how to make it right, they didn't do checklist romances so genders and sexualities were perfectly even and the characters' sexuality mattered.
She was hot to me but I think some people just wanted a Caucasian.
many people didn't like her harsh features. They really just wanted a caucasian with black skin tone.

Vivienne can die in a ditch for all I care, I hated her. I LOVED how she was written, which is precisely why I hated her. What is it with BioWare in making mages such wonderful people you want to punch in the face (Morrigan, Wynne, Vivienne, Solas after Trespasser)?

Opinions and all. Only one I ever wanted to punch out of the group you listed is Solas and that was from the beginning.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solas is the best character in Inquisition, and arguably one of BioWare's best written, most interesting characters ever.

Samara pissed me off. I liked her for that reason, in that she was decently written. But her character was frustrating.

Samara was great. I thought DAI had the best companion cast yet but then I replayed ME2 and it's still unbeaten.

I liked Solas but I didn't get him to like me in any playthrough.

How? It's easy, just be super nice and open about anything concerning The Fade. Which was pretty easy for my Atheist Inquisitor.

Solas is the best character in Inquisition, and arguably one of BioWare's best written, most interesting characters ever.

Samara pissed me off. I liked her for that reason, in that she was decently written. But her character was frustrating.

I loved Samara, wished you could've romanced her (Citadel DLC doesn't count).

masterkajo

Samara was great. I thought DAI had the best companion cast yet but then I replayed ME2 and it's still unbeaten.

I liked Solas but I didn't get him to like me in any playthrough.
Solas and I always seem to have different approaches and views. He never liked me (even though I was playing as a female Dalish Elf). He also died a lot during combat so after a while I replaced him with Dorian who seemed a much better fit for my combat group. In the end I regret not having spent more time with Solas since he really is an interesting character but not just not compatible with my female Dalish elf. Can't imagine the ending if you romanced him. Almost as heartbreaking as my Feralden hero who romances Alistair in DAO and didn't let him sit on the throne...

Tovarisc

Are we expecting a lot of spoilers out of these? Like the start of the game or all possible team members? Basically everything that has to to with story and lore? Because an am totally OK with the combat and even Multiplayer videos just as long as I am not spoiled about story parts.

Apparently they played a few hours of the beginning, but not up until the point where Sara/Scott Ryder becomes pathfinder.

According to shinobi they're more or less able to discuss everything within the first seven or so hours of the game, including missions, narrative beats, and squadmates, with the exception of how the Ryders become the pathfinder.

And yes, there should be a general press preview thread to compile them all.

Damn. I don't want to read any of this, but I know I won't be able to help myself at all.

Everything expect how Ryder becomes Pathfinder is open for discussion by press. According dev on twitter press got to play early and mid-ish game so expect some spoilers in previews. I plan to skim through most of them for key information related to gameplay, quest design, companions and such if I have time, need to do exam later today on physics :/

Renekton

Since we are talking past Bioware characters, what was the point of Cole? I didn't read any outside media and got lost with his character and his thingy

Sou Da

Since we are talking past Bioware characters, what was the point of Cole? I didn't read any outside media and got lost with his character and his thingy

Ignoring outside media Cole was there to show that spirits turning into demons isn't the only way it can go and that demons can come to embody virtues and turn into spirits.

He was a book character, he first appeared in Dragon Age: Asunder and thus got bumped up to an in-game character in Inquisition. I think the game explains it all though, he's a Fade Spirit. There was once a mage called Cole a long time ago that died in the hands of Templars, this Fade Spirit found him drawn by his plight and took over. In Asunder, "Cole" didn't realize he was a Fade Spirit but the actual Cole and couldn't figure out why people seemed to forget him after being around him for a while. By the end he understands/remembers what he is but still calls itself "Cole."

I forget the exact spirit that Cole is, irrc it's Compassion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Origin of and synchronicity with the Fade is an integral theme to Inquisition. It's why I love Solas so much. Cole is there to offer an interpersonal perspective, versus Solas' observational perspective.

Dmax3901

I enjoyed my time with DA:I, but never truly loved any of the characters. Solas got interesting towards the end and with the DLC, but the rest I found either actively irritating (Sera) or just dull (Cassandra, Vivienne, Blackwall).

I think my favourites would be Iron Bull and Dorian.

I'm replaying Mass Effect 2 at the moment and fuck every single one is so good. Everything with Garrus, Mordin and Grunt is great. I fucking love Thane and then of course I'm yet to get Legion.

All the other characters are interesting too, or their related missions are. Fantastic game.

I couldn't swing an invite to the ME:A preview event :(

I think I loved every Inquisition character, which always made choosing who to bring into battle difficult. I especially liked how they all support the central themes in Inquisition.

black070

Can't wait for these previews, if they're as glowing as Horizon: Zero Dawn's, I'm just going to go ahead and preorder this instead of Nier: Automata.

There was planned mods to turn her white and "fix" her features. I even remember seeing a white render of her.

It was ridiculous.

From Bioware or just from some random modder??

Fix what features?? ugh...

She was fine.....a little bit of hair would've have been perfect though (IMHO).

I loved every single Inquisition companion. I think they easily beat any other Dragon Age cast and most Mass Effect ones. Dorian comes pretty damn close to Morrigan and Leliana in Inquisition is leagues ahead of Origins Leliana.

Iron Bull is a much more pronounced and interesting character than Sten as well.

Solas always disagreed with whatever I did, even for being too dalish friendly IIRC

prag16

Banned
Account ban bet:

Ryder twin pairing will be the most popular in the fan base, and not by a small amount.

100% chance.

Apparently they played a few hours of the beginning, but not up until the point where Sara/Scott Ryder becomes pathfinder.

I don't think we can assume this. They just can't discuss it. I doubt they're locked to content from before that happens. The implications seem to be that happens within the first few hours of the game.

Slaythe

Oh my god you're not kidding...

viviennewtf.jpg

Sai

Pretty sure that's from some fan mod on Nexus. Kinda messed up, especially since it was referred to as a "fix", if I remember correctly.

On-topic: Previews got me pumped. Lil' worried about what was said about the character writing/interaction, but this is just the opening after all. Don't recall being too impressed with ME2 in that regard initially, but it made up for it big time as the game progressed.

carlsojo

I think I loved every Inquisition character, which always made choosing who to bring into battle difficult. I especially liked how they all support the central themes in Inquisition.

I wanted to love the Inquisition characters but they were all so fucking terrible in combat that I was stuck with a mostly ranged party.

Cole and Iron Bull I was particularly salty that I had to leave on the bench.

Top Bottom