• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - E3 Info Dump

diaspora

It straight up says in the OP that the Arks are stationed over Earth and launch from there, and it also is highly likely this game starts before ME3, as we know the Arks are attempting to flee before the Reapers come in order to prevent total extinction once they arrive at Earth. So yes, the Arks are above earth and before the invasion.

I think you made that up unless you've got a source? They seem to have left before the Reapers arrived but I mean, the connection to the Reapers and fear of them seem weren't ever stated.

Oh. Well that would be a really unique way to go about it. I'd love that. I believe they've already said that it won't just be a simple Paragon/Renegade morality system anymore, though. That there are going to be plenty of gray areas, if I recall correctly.

Probably going to ape what they did in Inquisition and have your party members Approve/Disapprove of your actions instead of just a morality meter.

DOWN

Banned
That's not stated anywhere.

I think you made that up unless you've got a source? They seem to have left before the Reapers arrived but I mean, the connection to the Reapers and fear of them seem weren't ever stated.
My bad for the confusion as I wasn't saying that idea was also in the OP, but from these comments by BioWare in the past couple of days and perhaps reading speculation I thought that was understood or confirmed that with an ark being sent out during the impending Reaper war, of the first trilogy, it was established to be reason for the mission primarily launching at that point:

http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effect-andromeda-wont-reflect-your-mass-effect-3-ending-choice/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...da-wont-acknowledge-your-choice-of-me3-ending

And I guess, looking at it again, it's speculation as that thought is an editorial note in the article rather than clearly stated by BioWare in the interview quotes. Though, you'd think the term ark and ARKCON are rather on the nose labels of survival driven ventures, but alas I hope I've clarified. But no, I did not 'make it up,' having read it multiple times.

That speculation seems quite logical to me though.😏

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It straight up says in the OP that the Arks are stationed over Earth and launch from there, and it also is highly likely this game starts before ME3, as we know the Arks are attempting to flee before the Reapers come in order to prevent total extinction once they arrive at Earth. So yes, the Arks are above earth and before the invasion.

I knew about that already, but I never thought it would actually be shown ingame. Always thought it was some backstory given to us, that we would start right as we reached Andromeda. I guess I kinda missed that part.

Ridesh

Banned
1500x500.jpg

Aces&Eights

I always get worried when a cherished franchise of mine starts talking about all the changes they are making. RPG "Elements"? What does that mean, exactly?

What?

Calling them Arks implies they think the galaxy is going to get wiped out hence why they build them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't see the picture, and i can't find anything on Mac's twitter that looks recent & exciting. :( Reupload on imgur maybe please? :)

What?

Calling them Arks implies they think the galaxy is going to get wiped out hence why they build them.

Yeah, when ME3 started, before the Reapers arrival, we (humans) were already preparing our defense against them(even if it failed miserably), so it seems normal that we would send Arks between the events of ME2 and ME3 to ensure the survival of Milky Way races in case we all die.

DOWN

Banned
Maybe some clarifications and such from this Glixel interview:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-effect-andromeda-game-true-to-roots-20160620
Do you feel like you're taking a risk by leaving behind such an established and well-loved setting?

Aaryn Flynn: At its heart this game is still a third-person cover shooter. It's still going to have the tactical squad combat. But, to build on Matt's answer, we didn't want to make Lethal Weapon 4. We didn't want to just try and bring everyone back together one more time. That's probably a low risk option, but it's also the low-opportunity option. We really wanted to reestablish what we loved about Mass Effect 1, with that sense of exploration, that sense of newness, that sense of wonder. The story flows from that.
Is it significant that you're alone in the trailer? Should we infer anything from that? Is everyone dead?

Walters: I think you can infer that the voyage and the effort to do this is not a task that anyone would've taken lightly. If you think about a process where you go to sleep and then 600 years later and you wake up, but for you, no time has passed, the last thing you'd think before you go to sleep is, "Are we going to make it? Am I going to survive this? Will the ship just implode somewhere along the way?" So we actually wanted to capture that moment of, "Oh my god, we're here!" That's really where this story begins.

Flynn: This idea of "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" – phrases like that and, "we made it," are all meant to touch on a connection we have. Sure, one person is at Andromeda, but humanity really achieved something when she woke up there. We're all there with her in some sense, and yet she's intensely alone in that one shot in the trailer. What does it all mean, and what does it all tell us about our humanity? I think those are themes that are fantastic to explore, especially in interactive entertainment.

Starfield

You know what this reminds me of, Pegasus Galaxy (Stargate: Atlantis).

When the SGA team went to Pegasus they had no contact with Earth and Milky Way anymore. They were alone, in a galaxy full of new cultures, races, aliens and foes.

I hope the core story will also focus on finding out what happened to earth/milky way and not just "kewl new galaxy, lets xploreee yeaaaah"

DOWN

Banned
You know what this reminds me of, Pegasus Galaxy (Stargate: Atlantis).

When the SGA team went to Pegasus they had no contact with Earth and Milky Way anymore. They were alone, in a galaxy full of new cultures, races, aliens and foes.

I hope the core story will also focus on finding out what happened to earth/milky way and not just "kewl new galaxy, lets xploreee yeaaaah"
I doubt they'll be able to get info on what happened to Milly Way considering it directly depends on ME3's ending choice

eliochip

By the end of the Mass Effect Trilogy I was sick of all the characters in the game.

Glad we are getting a fresh start this time around. I love the universe

I hope it's just better than Inquisition story-wise and all. I liked Inquisition, but yeah, the kinda weak story and the collect-a-thon stuff soured me. That and only being able to romance 2 people as a straight guy didn't give much variety and both options were pretty meh while actual interesting characters like Sera, Dorian, and Iron Bull were great character wise. It wouldn't sour me on the whole game, but getting only two pretty boring characters as romantic interests wouldn't be fun a second time around.

DesertFox

Every detail that comes out about this game gets me more and more excited. I'm so glad they are returning to Mass Effect 1 for inspiration. That game had it's faults, but thematically I enjoyed it the most out of the original trilogy.

I'm also happy with the in-universe explanation they have for side stepping the terrible ending to the trilogy with these Ark ships departing the Galaxy prior to the events of ME3. Honestly, when I was picking door 1, 2, or 3 - I wasn't happy with any of the endings. I'd rather move forward with the franchise and just "not know" what occurred in the Milky Way leading up to the Reaper invasion. At least, in terms of canon.
Never forget.

There's something I don't get. Are theses Arks supposed to be going to Andromeda in case the Reapers won? Because if that's so then it's stupid. What would stop the Reapers following the Arks and going to Andromeda themselves when they had wiped out civilization in the Milky Way (particularly as we know the Reapers could travel through dark space without relying upon the relays)? Would this have been so secret that nobody at all knew about it? That would see highly improbable considering the scale of the operation.

Of course this is irrelevant if this exodus does not take place in ME3. But if it does I don't get it. It just seems to me to be a massive plot hole.

To be honest I don't understand why these Arks are there in the first place.

DesertFox

There's something I don't get. Are theses Arks supposed to be going to Andromeda in case the Reapers won? Because if that's so then it's stupid. What would stop the Reapers following the Arks and going to Andromeda themselves when they had wiped out civilization in the Milky Way (particularly as we know the Reapers could travel through dark space without relying upon the relays)? Would this have been so secret that nobody at all knew about it? That would see highly improbable considering the scale of the operation.

Of course this is irrelevant if this exodus does not take place in ME3. But if it does I don't get it. It just seems to me to be a massive plot hole.

To be honest I don't understand why these Arks are there in the first place.
It's possible they weren't built for purposes of survival. Maybe humans just wanted to explore and colonize another galaxy? I recall the leadership in Mass Effect was a little skeptical of Shep's claims of a Reaper apocalypse, so it seems unlikely they'd fund such a massive project based on his Reaper theory.

Ralemont

not me
ME3's Citadel DLC revealed that the Council believed Shepard all along about the Reapers, they just didn't want to incite public panic by acknowledging it. It's interesting that BioWare would bother to include that bit in the very last piece of ME3 content...it's possible it's setup for Andromeda's Arks being funded by the Council after ME1, pre-ME3. There's a 2 year gap of Shepard being just dead, after all. Mac Walters has said that the Ark participants had many different reasons for joining, which makes me think that the Council sold it as a regular space expedition even though the real purpose was to establish new settlements in case the Reapers did invade the Milky Way.

Sou Da

ME3's Citadel DLC revealed that the Council believed Shepard all along about the Reapers, they just didn't want to incite public panic by acknowledging it. It's interesting that BioWare would bother to include that bit in the very last piece of ME3 content...it's possible it's setup for Andromeda's Arks being funded by the Council after ME1, pre-ME3. There's a 2 year gap of Shepard being just dead, after all. Mac Walters has said that the Ark participants had many different reasons for joining, which makes me think that the Council sold it as a regular space expedition even though the real purpose was to establish new settlements in case the Reapers did invade the Milky Way.

I never played Citadel, why didn't they tell you in private?

Ridesh

Banned
Have they said anything about large cities to explore? Because with the focus on planetary exploration and after DA:I I'm not expecting much on that front.

They said something about using Rory McIlroy PGA Tour crowd technology, so the game will probably have some metropolis.

I don't remember this at all. Anyone have a video or something?

Top Bottom