• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda prototyped procedural generated planets and pilotable starship

inky

The repeated faces are just bizarre. I know a lot of games do it to an extent, but to just have ALL the Asari be the same?

Seems like a million different things went wrong with this game.

rashbeep

Banned
The repeated faces are just bizarre. I know a lot of games do it to an extent, but to just have ALL the Asari be the same?

Seems like a million different things went wrong with this game.

Just another area where Andromeda has regressed from ME1. Very bizarre.

Part of me wishes they had just stuck with it. The "handcrafted" planets they came up with are fairly uninspired and the space travel is already painful, so why not?

RedSwirl

One of my "dream games" would actually be a game that managed to combine procedurally generated star systems like in Elite with hand-crafted areas an an actual main story like Mass Effect. Is that even possible? I know the Elite games have systems in them that are tuned to match real known systems and other things (you can visit Earth). Or I guess at least something like ME where they achieve the seamless stars to surface to on-foot transition.

I guess the big problem is doing that for atmospheric planets with life, and doing that with modern graphics. I can imagine that BioWare just couldn't do it while being sort of forced onto Frostbite 3. Look at what Star Citizen has had to do to CryEngine to get it to work. Elite II let you enter the atmosphere on every planet but that came out back in 92, Elite Dangerous has gotten to rendering airless worlds and I imagine Frontier is trying to figure out how to handle generation of things like life and cities. NMS basically accomplished it by making a sort of Disney Land universe.

Technologically the closest thing to really accomplishing that seamless universe where you can land on any body and see the whole atmosphere rendered is Space Engine, and even that does it in a pretty basic way. Life doesn't show up except for grass textures and the other details on things like water or clouds are currently pretty basic. It's still an incredible piece of software for the variety of things it handles though. It's also the only one I've seen so far that lets you seamlessly move the point of view between solar systems.

I just hope developers keep pushing towards this idea.

Top Bottom