• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't need my games to hit XX meta number but I do expect the 4th installation of a game series to improve on what the others did and not go 10 years back in time, which frankly even then the characters interact better IMO.

Exactly.

Seriously, just viewing the animation and everything is eye opening. For a series as renowned as this with the type of budget it has? It's fairly inexcusable.

Jarmel

Banned
The last three missions of Mass Effect 1 are gaming euphoria for me and while I do love my Bioware games in general, this has a pure high I doubt I will ever experience again.

First you have Virmire where the art direction starts kicking it up a notch with the tropics everywhere. There's the choice between Ashley/Kaidan and Wrex. You get background on the genophage and have to make galaxy-wide decisions. They then end the mission with the discussion with Sovereign where he tells you, "You ain't shit" directly to your face. The fact that the Reapers were SHIPS is smarter than anything I've seen from Andromeda's writing and is more alien to boot.

You then have Ilos afterwards which is the calm before the storm where the art direction probably peaks along with the music. The world is haunting, which reflects the legacy of the Reapers. You get the second twist from Vigil then it's off to the races. This mission ends with you ramming the Mako through a big ass Geth blockade in which everything is firing at you. Everything is firing at you.

Finally the rush on the Citadel is straight up perfection. You're literally climbing a tower in zero gravity while the Geth throw everything and the kitchen sink at you while a huge ass space battle takes place directly above you. You're literally perpendicular to the building while fighting a mini army. Finally ending with a fight with Saren in which you can make him commit suicide.

That is a fucking peak and why I goddamn play videogames. Bioware hasn't touched that since and prior.

UncleMeat

Gettins some pretty big open world whack-a-mole vibes from these pics and I thought ME3's galaxy map was cluttered:
DbjOJq9.jpg

jpg

Witcher 3 map looked similar and I love that game but this just looks like way too much shit was tacked on. Hope I'm wrong but this game seems to have taken a pretty heavy quantity over quality approach.

oneils

Next Mass Effect (assuming they ever make one) should focus on you running around the Citadel solving crimes and shit. Space P.I. with a lower budget and more contained/focused story.

I just want Prey 2

I want anachronox 2!

jtb

Banned
You kind of seem to be batting around a lot of negativity around here, man. You and...

Mr. Hot Takes over here.

Frankly, the fact that everyone is shitting on the game means it's way likelier that I'll enjoy it. The gaming press hates RPGs and player agency, while overvaluing "cinematic" on-rails linearity.

Gator86

Brad walking up to a console to reveal these mobile game-like timers for collecting resources and off-site missions (ala Dragon Age Inquisition war table, after Flynn repeatedly said DAI wasn't a template for this game) just broke me. It looks exactly like that.

There's always time for ME1 again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKiOcV1SSc

Just genuinely confused as to how they thought stuff like timers and scanning would bring in anyone. Like others have said, it does seem like this game was developed in a dimension where time didn't pass and games didn't grow at all. In a world with Horizon, W3, Zelda, etc., that shit doesn't fly anymore.

Lamptramp

The best setpiece, or anything in general, Bioware has done was the climax of ME1. They will never top that.

I've not even thought about the first game in ages so until now I only vaguely remembered the very ending cinematic...

Yep. It's remarkable pacing in that final sequence from Virmire and onwards to Ilios to the Citadel. The elevator stopping and having to go out in the Citadel in all that red background light is one of the finest moment in video games for me.

damnit Jarmel, you're making me want to replay ME1 now and I don't have time for this.

Good lord, you're both right it was excellent, I forgot so much. I'm genuinely tempted to try replaying it now.

I'm certainly going in with my expectations dramatically lowered, which might be a good thing all things considered.
Still hoping to enjoy a Mass Effect game regardless of the scores.

Nabbis

75 Meta these days... Eh, i think i won't even bother to read the reviews and just delete the game from my memory.

inky

Eh, those systems are rampant in a lot of open world games (AC series in particular but also MGSV). I think DA:I's war table is the best I've seen of them, though. Some of the missions were pretty cool.

To each his own I guess. I don't personally like them, but we were told that wasn't going to be the case for this game, that it would have its own unique feel gameplay wise. So you telling me it's fine because every game does it too is not really encouraging.

Will probably wait and pick it up when it's cheaper in the summer (and the onslaught of games slows down).

Never thought I'd actually say that about a Mass Effect game. Quite a shame.

Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

What the hell happened to the facial animation?! The 2016 facial animation looks great - the character model looked much better, too.

Mifune

Mehmber
The last three missions of Mass Effect 1 are gaming euphoria for me and while I do love my Bioware games in general, this has a pure high I doubt I will ever experience again.

First you have Virmire where the art direction starts kicking it up a notch with the tropics everywhere. There's the choice between Ashley/Kaidan and Wrex. You get background on the genophage and have to make galaxy-wide decisions. They then end the mission with the discussion with Sovereign where he tells you, "You ain't shit" directly to your face. The fact that the Reapers were SHIPS is smarter than anything I've seen from Andromeda's writing and is more alien to boot.

You then have Ilos afterwards which is the calm before the storm where the art direction probably peaks along with the music. The world is haunting, which reflects the legacy of the Reapers. You get the second twist from Vigil then it's off to the races. This mission ends with you ramming the Mako through a big ass Geth blockade in which everything is firing at you. Everything is firing at you.

Finally the rush on the Citadel is straight up perfection. You're literally climbing a tower in zero gravity while the Geth throw everything and the kitchen sink at you while a huge ass space battle takes place directly above you. You're literally perpendicular to the building while fighting a mini army. Finally ending with a fight with Saren in which you can make him commit suicide.

That is a fucking peak and why I goddamn play videogames. Bioware hasn't touched that since and prior.

Holy shit, this is a great post.

Now I need to replay ME1 and don't have time for that.

jtb

Banned
All reports show that player agency has been basically removed from the narrative. Even choices like "save the Rachni Queen?" are largely absent, and the "choice" in the game more closely resembles a Telltale game, where characters respond in the same way outside of a line or two despite what choice you make.

I'd rather have no choices than pretend make meaningful choices.

The DA:I maps of sheer emptiness were far more fun than the maps where you had tissue-paper-thin writing telling you to do X and Y and Z fetch quests. The Hissing Wastes is the shit (and, iirc, totally optional). The Hinterlands is shit.

Shoeless

I'm certainly going in with my expectations dramatically lowered, which might be a good thing all things considered.
Still hoping to enjoy a Mass Effect game regardless of the scores.

I'm okay with this. It would be nice if it reached the top-tier of ME at its peak, but I managed to enjoy Dragon Age: Inquisition, since I've always been more of an explorer type anyway. If this game is uneven, but lets me wander around strange alien worlds and poke around at stuff, then I'll enjoy myself, even if it's not a top-tier, GOTY experience.

On the other hand, as an older gamer that grew up during glory days of the JRPG from the SNES era onwards, I find it weirdly uplifting that Persona 5 may just end up being the RPG of the year for 2017. Hadn't seen a JPRG with a legitimate shot at that spot in quite some time, and I'm actually okay with that as well.

Frankly, the fact that everyone is shitting on the game means it's way likelier that I'll enjoy it. The gaming press hates RPGs and player agency, while overvaluing "cinematic" on-rails linearity.

"Gaming press hates player agency."

> Breath of the Wild is sitting at a 97 metacritic.

VanWinkle

Man, I have to say I'm really kind of surprised. I know it's kind of buggy and formulaic and stuff, but I mean, DA:I somehow got an 88 or 89 and I wouldn't say that's a great game by any stretch of the imagination.

It's a shame. I hope this doesn't bode poorly for the franchise going forward.

Stalwart

I didn't know that three studios worked on it, i thought only montreal is doing the major work
Montreal
Edmonton
Austin

uNCoQjA.png

Wait a min.... you know guys they really are ME:A

This makes me think of Murray's letter right before No Man's Sky was released.

0racle

So, If was to watch two videos, one criticising it heavily for its faults and one praising it for what it is which would they be?

diaspora

So, If was to watch two videos, one criticising it heavily for its faults and one praising it for what it is which would they be?
The face animations are rough and bizarrely worse than Inquisition out of Edmonton. Conversely the gameplay is fucking sublime.

ME1 is a game that will never leave my heart, it was so good and the ending hour or two is spot on to what you said. Walking up the outer walls towards sovereign while the citadel is closed around you, surrouning you in red city lights is something the ME series peaked with.

Arkanius

Man, I have to say I'm really kind of surprised. I know it's kind of buggy and formulaic and stuff, but I mean, DA:I somehow got an 88 or 89 and I wouldn't say that's a great game by any stretch of the imagination.

It's a shame. I hope this doesn't bode poorly for the franchise going forward.

People learned that DA:I was not that good in retrospective.
While BioWare closed itself in an echo chamber and only left that chamber 5 years after.

Essentially, Andromeda's basic elevator pitch is "you are head of a group colonizing a far-flung galaxy." That sounds amazing and practically writes itself. Internal politics, mutinies, harsh alien environments, natives you need to negotiate with and understand or kill and conquer. Instead, the game decides to focus on the most generic "chosen one must fight big bad" storyline out there and, as I've explained in other threads, doesn't even accomplish it all that well. Playing through the opening I got no sense of things being alien, or new, I was fighting a race of identical-looking dudes with an evil leader, I was still fighting the Reapers/Geth/Cerberus. Then when I got back to the not-Citadel I just became Shepherd: Slightly Awkward Edition, a guy/girl who has to defeat a faceless alien threat in order to save everyone, I wanted to be Picard: Slightly Awkward Edition instead. The game even sets up a potential power struggle in Cora yet brushes it aside almost immediately.

Actually I don't think that elevator pitch writes itself. It's not an inherently bad place to start but on its own it's pretty neutral. All the amazing stuff you mentioned could easily be done without leaving the galaxy. As you point out, the game never earns the fact that it is taking place in another galaxy. From the motivations to go there to what it's like when you're there, it never makes for a compelling story. It's like at every turn when the designers had a choice, they went with the most boring option.

One thing I want to know is why go to Andromeda in the first place. Surely not all the star systems in the Milky Way have been explored. I might be wrong on this, but haven't only the planets near the Mass Effect relay network been explored? Doesn't that leave most of the galaxy a mystery? Why is exploring an unexplored planet in another galaxy more desirable than exploring an unexplored planet in our own galaxy? To launch such an expedition, something really unusual and important must have been detected on long range scans. Saying what that was and why it was important enough to launch such an expedition would be a movie elevator pitch that would get me to watch.

Before the reapers
Before the Citadel
Humanity discovered the first mass relay orbiting Pluto
For 3.47 minutes before power was connected during startup sequence
The impossible happened
A gate formed
Through it fell a dead half crystallized man
On his body was a map of a star cluster in the Andromeda galaxy
His name was Alec Ryder

Tecnniqe

Banned
The gameplay looks completely badass:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TedU1Zg.gif

qA13Vhw.gif

PFzb8UF.gif

I know that I am definitely going to have some fun there, at the very least.
Like what the fuck you like and don't worry about anybody else. Even if what you like is shit and people are shitting on it, enjoy it the best you can because you enjoy it. That's all that matters at the end of the day and more power to you.

Seems like an okay game, not great. I don't think it's the death of the franchise, just a misstep as they transition to what they want to make the series into. I'm still buying it and keeping my expectations in check. The best you can hope for is they learn from their mistakes and make Mass Effect II: The Andromeda Strikes Back into a better game.

Gestahl

All reports show that player agency has been basically removed from the narrative. Even choices like "save the Rachni Queen?" are largely absent, and the "choice" in the game more closely resembles a Telltale game, where characters respond in the same way outside of a line or two despite what choice you make.

It doesn't seem like you can be even a mild dickhead going by what's been shown so far. Kicking a guy out of a skyscraper and barking out a shitty one liner, punching a reporter, or inexplicably killing a minor NPC despite all narrative sense is what made those games what they were and gave the series the longevity and replayability it had. Even ME3 had that kind of stuff in it.

oneils

I wish the dads voice was the Scott Ryder voice. He has such a great voice.

Edit: is Scott Ryder's actor the same one from fall out 4? Sounds familiar.

ironcreed

Banned
Like what the fuck you like and don't worry about anybody else. Even if what you like is shit and people are shitting on it, enjoy it the best you can because you enjoy it. That's all that matters at the end of the day and more power to you.

I plan to. Is there a problem with me posting those gifs, or should everyone who thinks they might enjoy the game leave?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I plan to. Is there a problem with me posting those gifs, or should everyone who thinks they might enjoy the game leave?
?
I wasn't saying you shouldn't post them. I'm trying to say I'm happy for those who can enjoy it.

Apologies if that didn't come through.

diaspora

What's wrong with talking about gameplay in a review thread? Jeez...

PtKid

Banned
I am wondering whether if i should cancel my pre order or not, however that is very dependent on how the game treats length and side content.

Anyone that has played it could tell me how long the main story is? Also are "side quests" worth doing or are they similar to "tasks"?

For those that played Horizon Zero Dawn, how would you compare these quests to say the errands on horizon?

Thanks

So what exactly are you defending here? The gaming press? Linear bullshit?

I don't need to defend anything.

You said: "The gaming press hates RPGs and player agency, while overvaluing "cinematic" on-rails linearity."

That's wrong and isn't reflected in review scores at all. You act like BotW is a special case when it isn't.

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't played that far into Andromeda obviously so I don't know if this is the case all the way through but I feel it doesn't take advantage of its setting. ME1 at its core is kind of weird. A lot of the alien species are really different from humans and so it actually feels like a galaxy in that regards. We had the Ranoch, Elcor, Hanar, Keepers, and the Reapers. When you stop and think about the Reapers as a villain, it's actually fairly clever. The Reapers are ships. Before ME1 who would have assumed that the villains would be ships? It's been done before in scifi so it wasn't a totally new concept or anything but it is of the out box in a way most game writing isn't. The main villain wasn't something you could actually fight or even shoot at. ME1 felt alien. Even ME2 had that at times with the Collectors, who are essentially a hive-mind race. There was also a broadening of that universe from different sectors. You were going into the underbelly for a lot of that game.

Instead of using Andromeda as a clean slate in which the player gets to see a lot of really weird shit, we're seeing only two new races that are both humanoid. There doesn't even seem to be a big political aspect to the two races either. This doesn't feel like they're doing anything interesting with the setting. That doesn't mean you have to jettison the old races but the game doesn't even look to be doing anything noteworthy with them either.

gspec

Actually I don't think that elevator pitch writes itself. It's not an inherently bad place to start but on its own it's pretty neutral. All the amazing stuff you mentioned could easily be done without leaving the galaxy. As you point out, the game never earns the fact that it is taking place in another galaxy. From the motivations to go there to what it's like when you're there, it never makes for a compelling story. It's like at every turn when the designers had a choice, they went with the most boring option.

One thing I want to know is why go to Andromeda in the first place. Surely not all the star systems in the Milky Way have been explored. I might be wrong on this, but haven't only the planets near the Mass Effect relay network been explored? Doesn't that leave most of the galaxy a mystery? Why is exploring an unexplored planet in another galaxy more desirable than exploring an unexplored planet in our own galaxy? To launch such an expedition, something really unusual and important must have been detected on long range scans. Saying what that was and why it was important enough to launch such an expedition would be a movie elevator pitch that would get me to watch.

Before the reapers
Before the Citadel
Humanity discovered the first mass relay orbiting Pluto
For 3.47 minutes before power was connected during startup sequence
The impossible happened
A gate formed
Through it fell a dead half crystallized man
On his body was a map of a star cluster in the Andromeda galaxy
His name was Alec Ryder

The events in the trilogy, mainly ME3, was galactic wide. The aftermath affects everything in the galaxy not just the known area. The control ending was a shepard AI controlling the reapers to control and protect the galaxy. The synthesis ending all life in the galaxy was transformed into machine\organic hybrid. The Destroy ending, anything reaper related (tech) was destroyed (mass relays, citadel, etc). The do nothing ending, Reapers win and the reaper cycle continues. The destroy ending could have been used as canon ending with a 100 year or more time jump but that is not what they wanted to do.

danm999

You know, the natural corollary of a game being unpolished isn't that it respects player agency.

In fact the feedback seems to be player agency is subdued in this game compared to even other Mass Effect games.

Top Bottom