• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Yeah, I think "fuck it" is a much more likely response. Especially considering how ugly the Mass Effect community has gotten now in two back to back games.

They don't care about how "ugly" any community has gotten. At the end of the day it will be a business decision.

Zukkoyaki

As I mentioned in the previous thread, the good majority of reviews (even ones around 6) seem to be praising the combat, exploration and the characters. Honestly that's enough to sell me on the game! and is exactly what I wanted! I can live with some technical issues so long as they aren't gamebreaking (which appears to be the case). I'm looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was enough for me to be wary of Bioware's next title and the fact that the game hasn't looked in good shape since it's reveal has prepped me for this.

This is really disheartening as a ME fan but the trial was the straw that broke the camels back for me - completely mediocre at best. I'll take a look once Black Friday rolls around but there's far better games that deserve my attention at the moment and hopefully Bioware rights the ship in the interim.

People need to stop comparing these reviews to older game reviews. Times have changed. Reviews are more critical now. This would probably be in the low 80s if it had come out last gen.
(Specifically talking about DA2)

Lime

Faceplants all around it seems, especially in the writing department judging by some of the stuff I've read/seen of the game. Bioware, you had one job...

For a company that spends millions on narrative and prides themselves of the narrative, it sure is weird to see such low quality of storytelling and in this case, hamfisted characterization.

Looks like I will be waiting until it's cheaper. I'll be honest though I still haven't played the original trilogy though so....not that these are related in any way.

How about Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 just in the last year? Both great games. Both with amazing multiplayer, Titanfall with one of the best FPS campaigns in recent years. I just don't get how 5 years of development time = EA pushing the game to release asap. EA got a lot better in the last few years. It's not always the publishers fault, it's okay to hold the developer accountable.

Yeah. I think it's ok to say, "ok, maybe the developers didn't necessarily have the right intentions with this release" or maybe they didn't prioritize certain things. Maybe they're not very good in some areas. Maybe they didn't take the right lessons from games that have been released since the last iteration. People tend to jump to the conclusion of "the game is shit, someone is at fault."

Not to pull EA out of the fire here, they deserve plenty of heat for putting Titanfall 2 in that release slot and for a myriad of other things, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

I knew shit was going to get stupid when they started talking so much about exploration and the mako.

Only contrarian weirdos liked that stuff in 2007.
The like of the Mako/exploration of ME1 has been taken totally wrong. It wasn't that those parts of the game were so well liked, it was that those were the parts of the game that needed improvement the most. Unfortunately BioWare took that to mean that players wanted more exploration at the expense of the story.

What Andromeda should have been was the same type of great epic story of the first game (an absolute must for a ME game), continued with the combat improvements of ME2 & ME3, but given the exploration parts more variety and depth. Oh and fix the absolutely awful handling of the Mako.

None of that should have been done at the expense of the story. Unfortunately in order to expand the exploration in Andromeda, the story was toned down. They didn't want the player to feel under pressure to fix some great galactic problem when they were helping someone find their dog. However high stakes and tough decisions are the core of Mass Effect. That simply can't be removed.

Symbiotx

Sorry folks, Jade Empire is maybe the single most overrated game of all time. I remember the crushing disappointment of playing the game at launch like it was yesterday.

:'(

lol some games just don't click with some people, must have been yours. It's pretty highly rated by a lot of people.

PC edition had 81 score on Metacritic

Also Awards and Rankings:
#35 Best PC Game of 2007
#39 Most Discussed PC Game of 2007
#8 Most Shared PC Game of 2007

Not bad considering 2007 saw games like The Orange Box, Bioshock, Modern Warfare, Crysis, WoW Burning Crusade, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and The Witcher

89 score for Xbox
#9 Best Xbox Game of 2005
#4 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2005
#6 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2005

Jarmel

Banned
Never forget.

1tD2qmL.gif

Ascenion

Honestly feel like peoples view on DA:I will probably become a bit better depending on how DA4 follows up the Trespasser DLC. Unlikely that ME:A will have the same fate since...

Spoilers for DA:I + Trespasser DLC:

It's one big villain origin story.

The amount of potential DA4 has on it's hands is crazy.

Antagonist you mean. Villain implies the person in question is evil which we both know is not the case.

shoreu

Seems about how I felt about this game it was fun but lacking a mass effect feel. I don't like the change in some of the power "feel" and the lack of committed specs is a huge negative to me. Plus performance on X1 online and offline sucks.

Bladenic

someone wrote this and then someone voice acted it and someone put it in the game and testers played the game and no one stopped this.

The sad thing is they had a pretty good trans character in Inquisition. I'm not writing off this character based on that tweet image but it's not a great start.

Maledict

ME2 is one of the most linear games ever created.

You can "choose" to fail the suicide mission, in the same way that you can "choose" to not shoot back at enemies in a first person shooter. Okay, but then you're clearly going against the design of the game.

When players are offered an optimal choice and several sub-optimal choices, that's not offering players freedom, it's doing the exact opposite. If a game punishes you for not playing a certain way, then it's clearly telling the player: "Hey you! Play this way, not that way!"

That's not the case at all. People have done the suicide mission and come out with hardly anyone alive. Yes, failing it utterly and completely is hard - but name me another big name game, any at all, where you can actually fail to survive the end of the game based on your choices and decisions made during the game?

Like it or not, but ME2 has significantly greater player choice than ME1. That was one of the problems for Bioware in ME3 - there were far too many possible endings and permutations from ME2 for them to take them all into account. That's why none of the squad returned.

joecanada

People need to stop comparing these reviews to older game reviews. Times have changed. Reviews are more critical now. This would probably be in the low 80s if it had come out last gen.
(Specifically talking about DA2)

Doesn't really help sell me on the game. I would give DA2 a generous 60 , no game breaking stuff, it's just kind of there, like mush.

Like "joke" from the hangover lol, mushy rice.

Shame the game is getting scored the way it is but luckily for me I never buy games based on reviews never have never will. Some of my favorite games this gen have been low scored games. So I'm good here.

jtb

Banned
That's not the case at all. People have done the suicide mission and come out with hardly anyone alive. Yes, failing it utterly and co platelets is hard - name me another big name game, any at all, where you can actually fail to survive the end of the game based on your choices and decisions made during the game?

How does that differ from literally any other game that features death as a game mechanics though? I understand the difference cinematically, but how does it change the way you play the game mechanically?

You still can only play the game one way. You're still supposed to play the game one way.

(Also, you can die at the beginning of Witcher 2 if you try to fight Roach during the interrogation lol)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sorry folks, Jade Empire is maybe the single most overrated game of all time. I remember the crushing disappointment of playing the game at launch like it was yesterday.

is it like the iron fist of bioware games? (except iron fist is being eviscerated in reviews lol)

Kalentan

Antagonist you mean. Villain implies the person in question is evil which we both know is not the case.

Fair enough but the point still stands. The Solas stuff potential for DA4 is really strong. I just hope DA4 doesn't suffer from ME:A.

Eusis

Omg. I hope all the GameStop clerks around the country at least TRY to warn people before they cash them out for this game.
Ugh, that'd just make them insufferable pricks for trying to be the quality police. Especially if they get heavier handed than "hey this got a 75 on metacritic are you sure?"

And it's all one review's fault, wasn't it? That IGN review remains one of the most insanely hyperbolic things I've ever read. The later PC review from another editor was more level headed as I recall.

Maledict

How does that differ from literally any other game that features death as a game mechanics though?

(Also, you can die at the beginning of Witcher 2 if you decide to fight Roach during the interrogation lol)

If you can't see the difference between 'dying to end boss, reloading, go again' and 'kill end boss, then die and nothing you can will change this because of the decisions you made through the course of the game' I don't know what to say?

Objectively, ME2 had more end state variables in it than ME1. You might not have liked them, which is cool, and preferred ME1s, but as a game it offered more choice to the player than the first one did.

Honestly feel like peoples view on DA:I will probably become a bit better depending on how DA4 follows up the Trespasser DLC. Unlikely that ME:A will have the same fate since...

Spoilers for DA:I + Trespasser DLC:

It's one big villain origin story.

The amount of potential DA4 has on it's hands is crazy.

I wonder how well that DLC sold. I couldn't even finish DA:I so had no reason to buy any DLC. I have no idea what the Trespasser DLC was about so it, nor DA5, will have any impact of my enjoyment of DA:I.

However, my problems with DA:I have been different than most other people. I was not that much bothered by the MMO type quests. My problem was that I liked to play Dragon Age like a tactical combat game which was totally broken and frustrating in Inquisition. I've been meaning to give the game another go as a pure action game, which could be the thing that changes my opinion of it, but as of right now I view the game as unplayable.

75MC? That's harsh.

A game like ME should always be one of the greats, but everything about Andromeda sounded very weird to me. From the reveal, to the trailers, the previews, the jaggies, animations...

Gonna pass now, I'll wait for a sale and jump on board.

jtb

Banned

If you can't see the difference between 'dying to end boss, reloading, go again' and 'kill end boss, then die and nothing you can will change this because of the decisions you made through the course of the game' I don't know what to say?

Objectively, ME2 had more end state variables in it than ME1. You might not have liked them, which is cool, and preferred ME1s, but as a game it offered more choice to the player than the first one did.

Mass Effect 2 has one critical path. I totally agree that ME2 has multiple end state variables. My point is that different end states are meaningless in the course of actually playing the game.

The 30 hours or whatever of playing the game will be the same regardless of which end state you "choose" to end up with. That's why ME2 is an incredibly linear game.

30 hours of identical gameplay is far more meaningful than 5 minutes of cinematics.

(Also, the suicide mission/"readiness" as a gameplay concept is the absolute laziest way to implement choice/consequence but that's a different argument)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
After the trial these scores are pretty much what I was expecting, to be honest DA:I was an 3/5 game for me but I still really enjoyed a lot of it so although I'm disappointed that this isn't closer to the quality of ME2 I'm still expecting that I'll find something to love.

Ryzaki009

I guess I was lucky? I went into it blind (it also was the first game I played where I could sort of pick my protagonist) so yeah I fell in love with it. JE is my baby.

inky

Mass Effect 2 has one critical path. I totally agree that ME2 has multiple end state variables. My point is that different end states are meaningless in the course of actually playing the game.

The 30 hours or whatever of playing the game will be the same regardless of which end state you "choose" to end up with. That's why ME2 is an incredibly linear game.

30 hours of identical gameplay is far more meaningful than 5 minutes of cinematics.

(Also, the suicide mission/"readiness" as a gameplay concept is the absolute laziest way to implement choice/consequence but that's a different argument)

I think the worse part is not the linearity, but the way choice/consequence is handled. I think the suicide mission does enough to give you an illusion of your choices mattering, and it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how it works.

The worst part for me is that it is non-nonsensical in the sense that your loyalty determines whether a character gets randomly shot on the face or if they forget how to use their biotics properly or stuff like that. It's not weaved organically in that proper bad choices lead to direct appropriate consequences, or heck, why not the other way around? You did everything right and still can't escape this fate, if randomness is involved.

In the end, the critical path is very easy to discern and the game just punishes you for not doing enough quests. Or works in your advantage if you want to kill specific characters I guess.

Justinian

Welp, these reviews and what I've seen of the game have pretty much killed BioWare in my eyes. Inquisition was a good game suffocated by terrible decisions and this game looks like they haven't learned a thing. On top of that it's even jankier and lower quality.

Will not be buying BioWare games from now on unless they change drastically.

neoglow

Banned
Ha, I predicted a 70's meta score.

Basically a nice looking game at times with a 'safe' story, decent enough combat but poor animations, poor dialogue and poor QA for glitches and bugs...

...in a story/character driven game. Oops!

Could of been a decent game but hampered by its technical failings.

What a surprise.

#RIPbioware

jtb

Banned
I think the worse part is not the linearity, but the way choice/consequence is handled. I think the suicide mission does enough to give you an illusion of your choices mattering, and it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how it works.

The worst part for me is that it is non-nonsensical in the sense that your loyalty determines whether a character gets randomly shot on the face or if they forget how to use their biotics properly or stuff like that. It's not weaved organically in that proper bad choices lead to direct appropriate consequences, or heck, why not the other way around? You did everything right and still can't escape this fate, if randomness is involved.

In the end, the critical path is very easy to discern and the game just punishes you for not doing enough quests. Or works in your advantage if you want to kill specific characters I guess.

Exactly. Which is no different than 90% of RPGs! No one's ever played an RPG, gotten to a boss underleveled and realized "oh, I should probably level up more"? It's a more cinematic presentation of one of the most basic, fundamental characteristics of an RPG.

I have a problem with the linearity just because ME2's level design and encounter design is terrible. Corridor, bullet sponge, corridor. Rinse, repeat.

I have a lot of problems with ME2 and its incoherent design philosophy.

Sounds like it has some good things going for it, just a lot of same old and technical issues. Well, I loved Fallout 4 despite that and am a huge fan of Mass Effect, so I'll bite. It may not be all I was hoping for, but I'll still have fun. I understand if it's a pass or wait for others though, lots of amazing games are releasing right now.

hydruxo

Sounds like it has some good things going for it, just a lot of same old and technical issues. Well, I loved Fallout 4 despite that and am a huge fan of Mass Effect, so I'll bite. It may not be all I was hoping for, but I'll still have fun. I understand if it's a pass or wait for others though, lots of amazing games are releasing right now.

Kinda how I'm feeling too.

Top Bottom