• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Some small updates (voice casting has started, combat, etc)

GlamFM

Banned
But I dont know, hearing that they still havent casted anyone makes me think this is not as far in development for a 2016 release.

I am not claiming I know how each team handles their development cycle, but just for the sake of an example, I remember Uncharted 4 (that certainly doesnt have the amount of voice acting that a ME is required to have) has completed mocap and voice acting stuff almost 6 months ago according to Neil Druckman's tweet.

Perhaps Bioware does things differently, I dont know. All I know is I want this game in my life...

Casting and VO does not take long at all in the grand scheme of things.

There is probably layout VO from devs throughout the game right now that just has to be replaced.

All it needs to do to reach Witcher 3 is launch with tons of broken quests and bad controls and take months to fix stuff. Plus Inquisition was great.

I guess I was one of the lucky few in Witcher then ... I dont remember any broken quests, I didnt mind the controls, though I prefer the new alt movement more ... I didnt experience the horrid frame drops and when frames did drop, it didnt really bother me because it was still more or less playable.

Witcher 3 was a great release for me.

Patryn

I think that Geoff´s VGAs would be a good place for the next ME:A trailer.
I'm less certain.

Keighley's The Game Awards are streamed only, correct?

ME3 was unveiled when the VGAs still existed, and those were on Spike, so you had a (purported) national TV audience.

But we'll see.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm less certain.

Keighley's The Game Awards are streamed only, correct?

ME3 was unveiled when the VGAs still existed, and those were on Spike, so you had a (purported) national TV audience.

But we'll see.

In the nation of America. Rest of the world doesn´t have Spike. Don´t think it matters that much.

Streaming is kinda huge these days..

Patryn

In the nation of America. Rest of the world doesn´t have Spike. Don´t think it matters that much.

Streaming is kinda huge these days..

You vastly underestimate how much they care about getting national TV coverage in the US.

Witness the sharp drop in the prestige of titles unveiled on the VGA's/The Game Awards between when it was on Spike vs. when it was streamed.

When it was on Spike it got Mass Effect and Dark Souls.

When it was streamed it got Telltales.

Patryn

Voice casting hasn't started yet? Expecting a 2017 release window.

It started 2 months (3 months?) ago.

When this thread was originally made.

Also: Bioware doesn't do the full actor mo-cap stuff that other studios do. Adding VA can be done fairly late in the process.

There is nothing in this that says the current announced release window is in doubt.

HvySky

Where was Andromeda initially unveiled, again? Depending on if Sony made/makes some content exclusivity deal with EA, maybe we could see a trailer at PSX?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where was Andromeda initially unveiled, again? Depending on if Sony made/makes some content exclusivity deal with EA, maybe we could see a trailer at PSX?

E3 this year was the first trailer. Though a new Mass Effect had been discussed back to at least November 7 2014.

We could see something at PSX, if just because EA seems cosy with Sony at the moment. I'm still banking on something for N7 day.

Patryn

E3 this year was the first trailer. Though a new Mass Effect had been discussed back to at least November 7 2014.

We could see something at PSX, if just because EA seems cosy with Sony at the moment. I'm still banking on something for N7 day.

Yeah, my guess is some concept art and maybe another CG trailer on N7 day, but we don't see anything really substantial until E3.

Patryn

They need to make Annihilation Field an Adept power.

It's entirely possible that Adept is no longer a class.

If I were Bioware, I'd probably go all the way back to the drawing board for this one, throw out all the old classes and start over with new ones.

Especially since the playerbase was so biased towards certain classes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

If I were Bioware, I'd probably go all the way back to the drawing board for this one, throw out all the old classes and start over with new ones.

You mean how +60% of the players used the Soldier class? Yeah, that kinda sucks. Not sure how Bioware can change this... "laziness" from the players of simply choosing the default class.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Biotics are in for sure. I'm pretty sure one of the devs said they couldn't talk about what they're doing with the combat system yet, or classes, but that he enjoyed biotic charging around the maps.

But yeah, I hope the skill and class system gets a bit of an overhaul.
Though I'll go with whatever is closest to an infiltrator anyway.

I think a lot of the problem came from people playing soldier first to get used to the combat mechanics, then most of those people either didn't play again, stuck to soldier, or checked out one of the hybrid classes.

I know I didn't bother with stuff like the Adept or Engineer until the ME3 multiplayer beta, and I used a lot more classes when I was super into ME3 multiplayer.

Patryn

You mean how +60% of the players used the Soldier class? Yeah, that kinda sucks. Not sure how Bioware can change this... "laziness" from the players of simply choosing the default class.

I wouldn't have a default class.

I'd have default nearly everything except two things: Gender and Class.

I don't think it's too burdensome asking the player if they want to play a man or a woman, and forcing them to actively select a class will likely lead to people at least looking at the other classes.

Biotics are in for sure. I'm pretty sure one of the devs said they couldn't talk about what they're doing with the combat system yet, or classes, but that he enjoyed biotic charging around the maps.

But yeah, I hope the skill and class system gets a bit of an overhaul.
Though I'll go with whatever is closest to an infiltrator anyway.

I'm not contesting that there will be Biotics, just saying the way classes were structured may be totally different and there may be no class named "Adept", for instance.

I think one problem is that all the classes felt inferior to the soldier in pretty much every mass effect game. Every other class hit points where their powers were useless, but the soldier is really good at firing bullets, which are useful against everything.

EatChildren

Soldier was easiest to play, but I don't know if I'd say other classes felt inferior. Once you learned how to play something like an infiltrator the game was broken heavily in your favour.

Patryn

I think one problem is that all the classes felt inferior to the soldier in pretty much every mass effect game. Every other class hit points where their powers were useless, but the soldier is really good at firing bullets, which are useful against everything.

Really? By the end of Mass Effect 2 and 3 I was barely using my gun because it was so much more inefficient than my powers. Certain powers worked better than others, but I'd drop a sentry turret, throw out a Drone firing rockets, and then mop shit up with Overload for shields and Incinerate for everything else.

I had my cooldown such that I could use an ability roughly every second.

valkyre

I couldnt stand playing soldier class in ME. It was the most boring experience imo, it made the game feel like just a regular thrid person shooting game.

I loved Vanguard and Infiltrator classes.

The day this comes out I'm gonna go straight To MP. ME3 MP was the best MP game of last generation. I can't wait to see how they build on this.

Ralemont

not me

What are bullets? - Vanguard on Insanity

Really? By the end of Mass Effect 2 and 3 I was barely using my gun because it was so much more inefficient than my powers. Certain powers worked better than others, but I'd drop a sentry turret, throw out a Drone firing rockets, and then mop shit up with Overload for shields and Incinerate for everything else.

When finishing the game for my sister who played as a soldier it was pretty insane how much easier it was,except in 3 where carried only one weapon and had no cooldown. But I do agree that it is the least interesting.

Patryn

When finishing the game for my sister who played as a soldier it was pretty insane how much easier it was,except in 3 where carried only one weapon and had no cooldown. But I do agree that it is the least interesting.

Are you sure that you were using powers effectively?

Regardless, Soldier doesn't do more damage with guns. They have ammo powers, yes, but those are easily duplicated by your squad.

Honestly, pretty much every class in the game became OP if you really know how to use them. Throughout all my playthroughs with all the different classes on insanity, once I learned the strats I would never have any trouble. It would just be constant steam rolling. The only class I ever had trouble with was soldier.

Engineer is really good in ME2 and absurd in ME3. Chain Overload makes a joke out of any enemy that doesn't have armor.

The guns are secondary to the powers on Adept, Vanguard, and Engineer. They're really only there so you have something to do during your cooldowns, or to do some extra shield damage.

Probably the weakest class has always been Soldier. You can get some good assault rifles, but Vanguard makes better use of ME1's shotguns. ME2 Soldier is okay and actually probably the easiest class on Insanity if you have the Mattock. ME3's weight system kind of screwed Soldier because the whole point was that it can carry lots of weapons, but now you can't really do that if you want to make effective use of Adrenaline Rush. Plus the ridiculously buffed tech powers on other classes mean you barely even have to bother aiming for the same/ better results.

Top Bottom