• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive EVE online battle, 10 hours, 2000 players, 57 dead titans.

And can you build titans/ships/etc just buy playing the game? Or do you have to spend real money for everything?

EVE has an in-game currency called ISK, and you earn ISK simply from playing the game. However, if you make enough ISK you are allowed to buy your subscription for the game with ISK, and because of this people have created ISK to USD transfer rates.

So these titans, you can absolutely buy them just by playing the game. Or you could buy a bunch of subscriptions and sell them to people for ISK.

And in case you are wondering, it is important to note here that the TOS states you are prohibited for selling ISK for real currency, so you can't make a living by playing EVE. The only real life goods you are able to purchase with ISK are the game subscription as well as a ticket to CCP's annual Fan Fest,

Brashnir

And can you build titans/ships/etc just buy playing the game? Or do you have to spend real money for everything?

As far as I know, nothing in-game costs real money officially. There are people who pay other players real money for stuff, but there's no in-game method to pay real money for things.

EVE has a lot of "meat" to its gameplay, it's just based more around tactics and coordination than reflexes and action. I don't even deign to say that it's not exciting gameplay, since those huge battles are intense as hell and literally have thousands of real world dollars riding on them.
I guess I should've specified that I'm looking for a different sort of 'meat', I won't disagree that EVE is likely deep for the people who enjoy it for what it is. But while hearing about the massive space battles is interesting, watching them is just so utterly dull. How the hell you make huge space warfare look so dull to the outside observer is an achievement, frankly. Even Cricket is faster-paced!

The player-driven emergent gameplay is fantastic, but I'd rather have it in a different framework. But that's just my personal taste.

As far as I know, nothing in-game costs real money officially. There are people who pay other players real money for stuff, but there's no in-game method to pay real money for things.

There is. You can buy a bunch of subscriptions to EVE, known as PLEX, these PLEX are actual items you hold in your inventory. These can then be traded to other players for ISK. So there is an easy way to exchange real money for ISK if that's your sort of thing. There is not however an easy (or allowed) way to exchange ISK for real money.

EVE has an in-game currency called ISK, and you earn ISK simply from playing the game. However, if you make enough ISK you are allowed to buy your subscription for the game with ISK, and because of this people have created ISK to USD transfer rates.

So these titans, you can absolutely buy them just by playing the game. Or you could buy a bunch of subscriptions and sell them to people for ISK.

And in case you are wondering, it is important to note here that the TOS states you are prohibited for selling ISK for real currency, so you can't make a living by playing EVE. The only real life goods you are able to purchase with ISK are the game subscription as well as a ticket to CCP's annual Fan Fest,

Can you convert real money to ISK directly, or do you have to use work-arounds like selling subscriptions?

Edit: You basically answered this above.

Here's an update of the system and it's surrounding areas:

zRntcyE.png

-
WIiJcUp.png

-
1NkY7Z8.png

HariKari

Can you convert real money to ISK directly, or do you have to use work-arounds like selling subscriptions?

Edit: You basically answered this above.

If you want to skip the tedious moneymaking grind as a beginner then I'd recommend buying an extra plex and selling it (Was 600-800 million last time I checked). That's some nice starting money.

You have to work-around it by selling subscriptions, but as stated these subscriptions are actually carried in your inventory and very easy to trade to other players.

Currently 1 PLEX, which is 30 days worth of subscription, cost 10 USD and can be traded in-game for about 650 million ISK.

Shinjica

Titan are too common now in EVE. Fight are about blobbling the other than some kind of tactics compared to small fight in other area.

Titan are too common now in EVE. Fight are about blobbling the other than some kind of tactics compared to small fight in other area.

Caps have been too common for a long time now---even when I played a few years ago people complained that cap warfare was crowding out everything else.

Zakalwe

Banned
There isn't a "third largest." There are two superpowers in EVE. No one else could realistically enter the battle at this point.

Smaller entities have been destroying key assets during this battle. A small pirate corporation managed to destroy a lone titan in the middle of nowhere attempting to get to the battle. A primarily roleplaying alliance managed to gank a Russian supercarrier in a similar situation.

These fringe battles are what I find most interesting, they're the stuff of Ian M Banks novels.

I wish I could get in to this game.

Brashnir

There is. You can buy a bunch of subscriptions to EVE, known as PLEX, these PLEX are actual items you hold in your inventory. These can then be traded to other players for ISK. So there is an easy way to exchange real money for ISK if that's your sort of thing. There is not however an easy (or allowed) way to exchange ISK for real money.

No, what I meant was there's no "buy a Titan Now!" microtransaction (or macro in this case) system in the game. You're still buying from other players.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hundreds of thousands is probably an underestimate of the loss of these virtual items.

Setting aside that you can indeed transfer isk to plex to USD, consider the results from the point of view of the required time and skill... and then find an appropriate level of compensation if this was actually work.

3,000 hours from the highest level miner using the best ship. Plus substantial ancillary components for Titan use and qualification.

so about 5000 hours of real human effort to assemble a Titan.

At a rate of say $25 per hour for the requisite technical skill level at a reasonable compensation...

$125,000 per ship.

Or $12,500,000 loss in human productivity on Titans alone. Probably double that if we account for the loss of all other ships. $25 million!

And if we go of how much the US government will pay to save a life - some $4 million dollars...

This epic (and virtual) space battle can also considered to be a vicious street brawl that has cost 5 (and 1 quarter) people their lives.

Hundreds of thousands is probably an underestimate of the loss of these virtual items.

Setting aside that you can indeed transfer isk to plex to USD, consider the results from the point of view of the required time and skill... and then find an appropriate level of compensation if this was actually work.

3,000 hours from the highest level miner using the best ship. Plus substantial ancillary components for Titan use and qualification.

so about 5000 hours of real human effort to assemble a Titan.

At a rate of say $25 per hour for the requisite technical skill level at a reasonable compensation...

$125,000 per ship.

Or $12,500,000 loss in human productivity on Titans alone. Probably double that if we account for the loss of all other ships. $25 million!

And if we go of how much the US government will pay to save a life - some $4 million dollars...

This epic (and virtual) space battle can also considered to be a vicious street brawl that has cost 5 (and 1 quarter) people their lives.

????

eot

Banned
The total amount of ISK lost is not even the issue here. Titans are too big to be stored in stations, so it's extremely impractical to maintain stockpiles of them. PL don't build their own anymore so they'll have to replace theirs on the open market, which won't come close to meeting demand. CFC/RUSRUS will build more, but there's literally not enough minerals in the game to ramp up production of them to the needed degree. Mineral prices already went up 20% (trit anyway) during the course of the fight. It's going to take a while to replace all these Titans.

It also has the potential to seriously alter the power balance in this conflict. N3/PL have traditionally been able to throw their supercap weight around because they've been perceived as being too dominant in that space. If CFC get the confidence to deploy supers regularly now that's a pretty huge shift for all of nullsec. On the other hand, not that many supercarriers were lost and they tend to be the primary ship used. This particular battle became a Titan vs Titan match because of how much better Titans work under extreme lag.

pulsemyne

The total amount of ISK lost is not even the issue here. Titans are too big to be stored in stations, so it's extremely impractical to maintain stockpiles of them. PL don't build their own anymore so they'll have to replace theirs on the open market, which won't come close to meeting demand. CFC/RUSRUS will build more, but there's literally not enough minerals in the game to ramp up production of them to the needed degree. Mineral prices already went up 20% (trit anyway) during the course of the fight. It's going to take a while to replace all these Titans.

It also has the potential to seriously alter the power balance in this conflict. N3/PL have traditionally been able to throw their supercap weight around because they've been perceived as being too dominant in that space. If CFC get the confidence to deploy supers regularly now that's a pretty huge shift for all of nullsec. On the other hand, not that many supercarriers were lost and they tend to be the primary ship used. This particular battle became a Titan vs Titan match because of how much better Titans work under extreme lag.

The server seems to put a priority on Doomsday weapons. We found this out in the previous battle where our dreads couldn't fire often and yet DD's would go off with no problem.
PL/N3 had become far too confident in deploying capitals and supers in fights. They thought their "wrecking ball" tactic was perfect. Turns out the best tactic is the oldest... get on the field of battle first with better numbers.
A lot of the super capitals and titans that PL had were built quite a few years ago by the old Northern coalition who foolishly believed PL would never use them against them. They did and the old NC died. It will be very difficult for PL and N3 to replace the titans. It's not that much of a problem for the russians or the CFC.

Voror

Man, I love reading stories about this game. I have a friend who plays it with a small band of friends. I wonder if they ended up involved in this though I think he preferred to stay out of conflicts this big.

Jesus, is EVE online a very resource intensive game?
Fights like these are yes, but the average player will never see anything like it. I'm sure there are people who have played since it first came out and have never seen a titan with their own eyes.

The largest fight I've been in was years back, over 1k pilots and it was a slideshow. But that was before they added things like time dilation to arbitrarily slow-mo the game in heavily loaded systems so the servers can clients can keep in sync.

So yeah you can play EVE on practically any hardware really, but if you find yourself in a fleet fight like this your hardware will get a workout.

Serick

Married Member
Fights like these are yes, but the average player will never see anything like it. I'm sure there are people who have played since it first came out and have never seen a titan with their own eyes.

I just started playing again about a week ago with my husband. We joined Brave Newbies Inc. (Amazing Corp if you're new and looking to immediately jump into the fun.) and saw a Titan on day three.

They are a sight to behold for sure.

1000000% of what you get out of Eve depends on what kind of Corporation (think guild) you join.

Yeezus

The largest fight I've been in was years back, over 1k pilots and it was a slideshow. But that was before they added things like time dilation to arbitrarily slow-mo the game in heavily loaded systems so the servers can clients can keep in sync.

So yeah you can play EVE on practically any hardware really, but if you find yourself in a fleet fight like this your hardware will get a workout.

That's insane. I didn't know much about it all last night but after some reading it was easy to see why everyone was going nuts. Truly something to behold, even if it was all virtual.

Bizazedo

I guess I should've specified that I'm looking for a different sort of 'meat', I won't disagree that EVE is likely deep for the people who enjoy it for what it is. But while hearing about the massive space battles is interesting, watching them is just so utterly dull. How the hell you make huge space warfare look so dull to the outside observer is an achievement, frankly. Even Cricket is faster-paced!

The player-driven emergent gameplay is fantastic, but I'd rather have it in a different framework. But that's just my personal taste.

The meat you want exists as well in the smaller corps / pirate groups. It's much more visceral and fast paced when in a small engagement.

Serick

Married Member
The meat you want exists as well in the smaller corps / pirate groups. It's much more visceral and fast paced when in a small engagement.

This is very true. I've tried to get into Eve several times before this most recent and it never clicked with me until I found the right corp.

Top Bottom