• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Kingdoms of Amalur Information update.

Macstorm

Right but you can't compare it to TES, because Bethesda creates worlds that you can literally walk anywhere. I have no issues with a hub-world based system and in fact I think a TES on portable with a few hub areas instead of one giant world would be perfectly fine.
There is no hub in Reckoning.

Nista

And die in a heartbeat when some high-level ogre smash you to bits. Unless there's level scaling... There's no level scaling, right? Right?!

Direct link to the world map: http://content.amalur.com/sites/all/themes/amalur/images/amalur-map-op.jpg

The actual in-game world map is a bit different than that one (more zoomed in/detailed).

The comparisons to TES games is a bit of a shame, because I believe Reckoning excels in a different type of fun. Probably because it's 3rd person action combat vs 1st person (except for the few masochists) limited combat. But it's not as fun to just screw around and abuse the world like you can in Skyrim or RDR.

I've seen & read enough about this game to know thatI'm buying this on day one. Going on a full media blackout from here on out. Since this is a new fantasy IP, I'd like to go in as blind as possible.

See you peeps next year in the OT.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
February release?! Awesome! I thought it was going to be later in the year.

I certainly hope it gets a Steam release, but this game looks so awesome that I'll even put up with Origin for it.

I'm not sure how I feel about swinging the sword like a baseball bat and having enemies explode and spin like a foul ball off to the side. But I guess some things were unavoidable.

/cough

bengraven

There is no hub in Reckoning.

Well, you said "zones" so by that I picture a series of small hubs, possibly linked together by narrow, Fable-like sidewalks.

this looks VERY nice and stupid.

Will bomb hard. I will buy this though.

It will bomb. NeoGAF will embrace it. People will hate us for it.

Well, then again, this is an EA game, not an indie European RPG developer...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, then again, this is an EA game, not an indie European RPG developer...

ah, EA publishes it. Doomed then.

I wonder why they signed them up in the first place. Looks like it doesn't suit well the current market.

Hulud

Really, REALLY not liking that art style. It looks like a WoW clone even though it's single player.

But the lead designer of Morrowind is working on this game...

Not sure if want.

ah, EA publishes it. Doomed then.

I wonder why they signed them up in the first place. Looks like it doesn't suit well the current market.

I don't know if plans have changed, but this has pretty much always been in production as an appetizer to an MMO main course.

Really, REALLY not liking that art style. It looks like a WoW clone even though it's single player.

You think that's bad, check out the anatomical disaster that is the current box art:

ncZCn.jpg

Rokam

Might have to give this a try, but what the hell with the races, so tired of elf or human. I see fucking gnomes, let me be one.

Aaron

Might have to give this a try, but what the hell with the races, so tired of elf or human. I see fucking gnomes, let me be one.
Unlikely. It's not an AO rated game. You'll have to wait for mods.

Not enough blue in the cover. Also, published by EA? They are Shadows of the Doomed.

I'm fairly confident this will get advertisement support from EA. I really think the game will be good and I'd like to think it should do well, the buzz may be light but it's positive atm. Then again, this thread is barely moving and of course I've been following the development since reading about the MMO on the FoH boards, so I'm prepared to be dead wrong.

This is probably the last video game I purchase this gen. It has the potential to be even better than Skyrim (I know its somewhat apples and oranges) and needs more attnetion IMO.

looking forward to this one. the lore and the world made by R.A. Salvatore? wonder if i can create a character similar to drizzt?

Patryn

Add me to the chorus lamenting the somewhat generic setting.

Generic fantasy can work - if you just play with it.

You have 100,000 years. How about doing like Arcanum did and look at what that world would look like during the industrial revolution? Or all the way to the future and add a sci-fi twist?

Enosh

Unlikely. It's not an AO rated game. You'll have to wait for mods.

Not enough blue in the cover. Also, published by EA? They are Shadows of the Doomed.
they got Claudia Black for it, I doubt they are sending it to die

oh and is it just me or does the "play as you want and you'll get better at it, no class selection at the beginning" seem like the next big thing in rpgs? iirc Skyrim has it too, will see if more rpgs will use it
edit: looking it up that thing doesn't seem to be all that new ^^

I don't think this will bomb ... at all.

IDK if it will light up the charts be I'm sure it won't bomb.

And no, i don't think this is "Fable done right". It does have large, open areas like TES it's just ... not that appealing to throw those into short lil clips. The longer 20+ min things show those off better.

IMO this game has allot of what I feel Skyrim is missing when it comes to holding my interest. Like the combat and animation ... I play as a Mage in Skrim because the hand-to-hand combat just looks so damn clunky and lifeless. And even playing as a Mage I'm let down by the lack of verity in destruction magic. This game ... makes it a point to say that just because a game is a RPG has focus on tons of things and has a large selection of characters/ creatures you don't have to make the combat look boring. The combat just .... LOOKS so damn fun, It looks like an action game when they're fighting.

But I DON'T like the tiny amount of races in this game. 2 human and 2 elf races? That's lame >_>

Aaron

IDK if it will light up the charts be I'm sure it won't bomb.

And no, i don't think this is "Fable done right". It does have large, open areas like TES it's just ... not that appealing to throw those into short lil clips. The longer 20+ min things show those off better.
Fable done right IS large open areas. I've seen a lot of footage of this game by now (hour+ at least), and it doesn't have the level of detail in an Elder Scrolls game. It's not the slow burn type gameplay where you creep through a dungeon because you don't know what is going to come at you, or even where the heck you're wandered off to half the time. Complaining about the combat not having much depth is kind of missing the point.

This isn't going to be a game about exploring. It's going to be about doing missions and leveling up your character into a true badass while saving the world. That's what the original Fable was. It needed to opened up its pathway design and breathe a little.

I have no idea how this game will sell, but I have a feeling if they try to pitch to the people who enjoyed Skyrim, those people are going to go in with the wrong expectations and be disappointed.

Nista

But I DON'T like the tiny amount of races in this game. 2 human and 2 elf races? That's lame >_>

I'd assume there's no playable gnomes or other non-typical races in order to keep the player combat animations to a reasonable size.

Oddly I think this game would almost do better with fans of DmC or God of War action games, but the generic fantasy setting might dissuade casual pick-ups.

Fable done right IS large open areas. I've seen a lot of footage of this game by now (hour+ at least), and it doesn't have the level of detail in an Elder Scrolls game. It's not the slow burn type gameplay where you creep through a dungeon because you don't know what is going to come at you, or even where the heck you're wandered off to half the time. Complaining about the combat not having much depth is kind of missing the point.

This isn't going to be a game about exploring. It's going to be about doing missions and leveling up your character into a true badass while saving the world. That's what the original Fable was. It needed to opened up its pathway design and breathe a little.

I have no idea how this game will sell, but I have a feeling if they try to pitch to the people who enjoyed Skyrim, those people are going to go in with the wrong expectations and be disappointed.

I always figured Fable was about "be GOOD! Be EVIL! It's your choice! Become king! See how the world changes over time! Get a puppy! Love it! Cry! FARTS!" and never seemed like it was trying to be something like TES or FO or anything like it.

And combat IS a big part of Skyrim. It's deeply rooted in the gameplay and the way it's being promoted on TV focuses on that aspect (being a town hero and fighting dragons).

From what I have seen it comes across how the devs seem to want it to be. I don't think it's just gonna be all combat. May not be as deep as TES in some areas but it's not just combat. I would say that it will have a focus on exploration ... but it's not using the other perks of being a RPG as an excuse for having chunky, slow and weak combat.

I'd assume there's no playable gnomes or other non-typical races in order to keep the player combat animations to a reasonable size.

Oddly I think this game would almost do better with fans of DmC or God of War action games, but the generic fantasy setting might dissuade casual pick-ups.

Yeah, I pretty much figured that that's why. But they could still do human looking races like "animal people".
And as for advertising I figured that they would just gear it towards fantasy fans well using the combat as a big draw.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Add me to the chorus lamenting the somewhat generic setting.

Generic fantasy can work - if you just play with it.

You have 100,000 years. How about doing like Arcanum did and look at what that world would look like during the industrial revolution? Or all the way to the future and add a sci-fi twist?

You have to understand that plenty of people really like medieval fantasy swords and sorcery settings. I love them. Steampunk and futuristic Sci-fi are cool, too, but I'd rather the developer make the game in the setting they want.

Frostburn

I'm looking forward to this, the combat looks to have some good variety and depth. I'll wait to see more about the world and story before condemning it for generic.

Yo Gotti

Banned
This looks like what Fable should have been, and I enjoyed Fable 2.

Voice acting seems shaky from the vids I've seen, but so is Skyrim's. If they can deliver a decent story, some fun combat with good exploration and loot, I'm there.

Any word on exactly how big this game is? World size, gameplay hours, or anything?

EDIT: Watching the exploration video, that particular environment looks similar to Xenoblade in scope.

hayguyz

Banned
I don't know anything about this game. At first glance I think it's an MMO. The subtitle "Reckoning" really makes it sound craptacular. Just two cents from the uninformed gamer.

I don't know anything about this game. At first glance I think it's an MMO. The subtitle "Reckoning" really makes it sound craptacular. Just two cents from the uninformed gamer.

Then maybe you should inform yourself, seems like a pretty good game to me after I read up on it a bit.

... Or don't, I really don't care. :]

I'm pumped for this game.

I hope it will start getting the attention it deserves, but I doubt it. =(

I think it will, through word-of-mouth or when they start pumping up the advertising.
As it stands it seems like "the cool thing you don't know about until someone points it out". I only heard about it in a E3 mash up of WRPGs that I was watching to see Skyrim stuff. Pointed it out to a friend who loves the ES/ FO series and he was impressed and began to look into it. Same with another friend who likes TES.

I wouldn't worry, the KoA forums seem to be very alive and active. Wish they would change the name though, too damn long. "Amalur" would be far better IMO.

Rad-

The combat looks a bit repetitive and button smashey in the videos but I guess it's something you can't really judge before playing it yourself.

The combat looks a bit repetitive and button smashey in the videos but I guess it's something you can't really judge before playing it yourself.

From what I've played it has a bit more depth. It's not totally DMC level of complexity, but it's more that direction then Fable.

You know. When I look at this, all I see is an RPG that's trying desperately to be Too Different. It just does not appeal to me.

Rokam

EA forced them to use the Kingdoms of Amalur title. The designers are just calling it Reckoning.

Patryn

EA forced them to use the Kingdoms of Amalur title. The designers are just calling it Reckoning.

I thought it was 38 Studios that is making them use Big Huge Games use that name? Because it's the name of the upcoming MMO?

As far as I know, EA is only publishing it, and has no rights to the IP.

Rokam

I thought it was 38 Studios that is making them use Big Huge Games use that name? Because it's the name of the upcoming MMO?

From the Curt Schilling interview he only referred to it as Reckoning...hmm either way I'll only call it Reckoning :p.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm pretty sure they're actually only co-publishing this, so a fair share of the funds are still coming from 38 Studios.

I imagine they're making all decisions relating to anything creatively based.

Yo Gotti

Banned

Really unfortunate because the name is terrible, I can barely even say it out loud. It sounds like a nerd fantasy D&D game, not appealing at all as much as I'm looking forward to the game.

Top Bottom